Help me kill (erm... defeat) my husband!

A little background... he and I have an RP scenario where we are creating a pair of toons who have (in Terminator style) travelled back in time to end a bloodline created by his bad-ash brute and my blaster.

The idea is that eventually we are going to square off. 

I'm not so worried about my blaster... but his brute is a vet level 50 SS/WP that does massive amounts of damage, max HP of 2400+, and out-tanks many tanks (which is one reason we don't generally team much).

This brute solos the Nemesis TV farm at +4/×8 with ease.

I'm thinking maybe end draining to detoggle (oh he has conserve power and unleash potential too)... so maybe just focusing on WP's weaknesses like toxic, psi, and negative energy?

A tank maybe? But will that do enough damage?

All suggestions welcome... well, you know, except asking me if I can bend over far enough to kiss my cheeks goodbye.

(Also, it'll be hoofing it to 50 alongside his blaster, so has to be blastie-friendly).

I wouldn't consider Psionic damage one of Willpower's weaknesses. What willpower lacks is debuff resistances. Super Strength is kind of weak to slows (get knock-out blow to a crawl),  Willpower doesn't really care about slows though, it does care about -regeneration debuffs, -recovery debuffs, -maximum health.

Maybe something like Beam Rifle/Thermal?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do not PvP.  But I do go to PvP zones to collect badges.  One time on live on my SS Brute (either Inv or Will) I was jumped by a group of PvPers.  I landed KO Blow.  Game over.  Ground and Pound.  Do not get in close enough for that to land.  The thing is a murder ticket.  

If you can End drain Willpower you are playing at a different level than me.  

Which leaves doing enough damage to kill it just raw.  I suggest a Beam Rifle.  It is what I use on Really Hard Way Magisterium Trials.  That build has max ranged def (for PvE...) 

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're asking how to defeat a melee character as a ranged character, it's just a matter of the ranged character staying out of melee range and using an attack chain that over comes the melee character's mitigation. If you don't feel like rerolling another Blaster, use the second build on your character and slot damage procs in to your ranged attacks. Tanks are actually at a disadvantage compared to Brutes in the resistance category in PvP due to their diminishing return curve, so Tanks aren't very difficult to defeat in PvP environments as a Blaster. Brutes have Fury and higher resistances, but don't tend to generate much Fury in 1v1s unless using the PvP accolade. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Blasters are very strong in sort of naive PvP, where you aren't using any complex tactics and just banging on each other.  Compared to PvE, his brute will lose a ton of durability, while your blaster will gain a bunch of resistance (though maybe lose defense).

Hit him with a hold to detoggle Rise to the Challenge and back away from him between attacks.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

I wouldn't consider Psionic damage one of Willpower's weaknesses. What willpower lacks is debuff resistances. Super Strength is kind of weak to slows (get knock-out blow to a crawl),  Willpower doesn't really care about slows though, it does care about -regeneration debuffs, -recovery debuffs, -maximum health.

Maybe something like Beam Rifle/Thermal?

I also recommend the debuff route.  Although slows won't really affect Willpower's toggles, it will devastate attack chains and he won't be able to close with you while you destroy him from range.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

I'm loving all these suggestions gang! I was really thinking melee, and you're steering me back to ranged (which has always been my preference).

He does have Hurl, but at least I'll avoid the KO Blow.

My biggest concern with anything ranged is the squishy factor.

I myself would recommend a Rad/Sonic Defender if your going for range as @The_Warpact suggested, as it will debuff him to the max while at the same time causing good damage as well. However, if you are really looking for a one on one slugfest, might I suggest a Dark Melee/Invulnerability Scrapper. Dark Melee deals very good DPS, has a nice heal in a attack (Siphon Life), and causes some sweet -to hit debuffs, while Invulnerability is great at resisting S/L damage, which Super Strength is all it deals. Add in Maneuvers, Tough, Weave, Combat Jumping, and maybe even Stealth, and you got someone who could easily take his Brute down before he even gets you to 1/2 health.

I myself played one during live (and even now), and in RV I was able to take down 2 Blasters, 2 Stalkers, and 1 Tank, all at the same time in a fight (they all really regretted jumping me that day lol). Built right (which can be quite expensive I have to say), a Dm/Inv Scrapper can be almost as durable against a Tank, while dealing almost as much dps as a well tricked out Blaster. However, that was during live, and as I have no real experience with PvP these days, I am not sure if this would still hold true or not, but it is a option IF you really want to go toe to toe with him in a fight (like the Hulk Vs the Juggernaut).

Also, I do have a question... would he by chance also be reading the forums like you? I ask because if he is, and sees this post, he might also make adjustments to his build to account for what you finally decide to use. So might I suggest, if that is the case, that you do NOT tell us what you are going to use until after the fight is over, and if you have any specific questions about what you decide to use, that you IM the people either here or in the game, just to make sure you catch your hubby by surprise. 🙂 In either case, when this epic battle finally takes place, please have someone else take pictures and post them here too as I am sure some of us would love to see it go down. 😁

Peace...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, TrelNargil said:

I myself would recommend a Rad/Sonic Defender if your going for range as @The_Warpact suggested, as it will debuff him to the max while at the same time causing good damage as well. However, if you are really looking for a one on one slugfest, might I suggest a Dark Melee/Invulnerability Scrapper. Dark Melee deals very good DPS, has a nice heal in a attack (Siphon Life), and causes some sweet -to hit debuffs, while Invulnerability is great at resisting S/L damage, which Super Strength is all it deals. Add in Maneuvers, Tough, Weave, Combat Jumping, and maybe even Stealth, and you got someone who could easily take his Brute down before he even gets you to 1/2 health.

I myself played one during live (and even now), and in RV I was able to take down 2 Blasters, 2 Stalkers, and 1 Tank, all at the same time in a fight (they all really regretted jumping me that day lol). Built right (which can be quite expensive I have to say), a Dm/Inv Scrapper can be almost as durable against a Tank, while dealing almost as much dps as a well tricked out Blaster. However, that was during live, and as I have no real experience with PvP these days, I am not sure if this would still hold true or not, but it is a option IF you really want to go toe to toe with him in a fight (like the Hulk Vs the Juggernaut).

Also, I do have a question... would he by chance also be reading the forums like you? I ask because if he is, and sees this post, he might also make adjustments to his build to account for what you finally decide to use. So might I suggest, if that is the case, that you do NOT tell us what you are going to use until after the fight is over, and if you have any specific questions about what you decide to use, that you IM the people either here or in the game, just to make sure you catch your hubby by surprise. 🙂 In either case, when this epic battle finally takes place, please have someone else take pictures and post them here too as I am sure some of us would love to see it go down. 😁

Peace...

No. He doesn't read the forums, but he knows I'm brainstorming with all of you. In either case, he will be teaming with my toon all the way up to 50, so he will be aware of her potential (we don't believe in PL aside from XP boosters). He's actually relishing the challenge so he wants me to bring everything I can muster. His build is pretty airtight, too... so I'm not sure there's much he could do. He also has a lot more PVP experience than I do, though not on that brute.

You could do something like an dark blast/poison corruptor. You'll get decent punchy damage, while devastating him with debuffs, and you can essentially kite him around and keep applying debuffs while you whittle him away (while healing yourself).

It's an interesting concept for 1v1 actually and that's coming from an old retired pvper.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, TheWhiteLady said:

In either case, he will be teaming with my toon all the way up to 50, so he will be aware of her potential (we don't believe in PL aside from XP boosters). He's actually relishing the challenge so he wants me to bring everything I can muster. 

If you want to be sneaky, and why in the world wouldn't you want to be sneaky?, as you level up have two builds.  Build 1 is the one you use to team with him.  Build 2 is the one you have ready to gank him.  Some really sneaky things to do might involve slipping in some procs that he might not expect (like Absolute Amazement -to hit) or debuffing power pools that you may not have on your main build.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who run Bartertown?

2 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

If you want to be sneaky, and why in the world wouldn't you want to be sneaky?, as you level up have two builds.  Build 1 is the one you use to team with him.  Build 2 is the one you have ready to gank him.  Some really sneaky things to do might involve slipping in some procs that he might not expect (like Absolute Amazement -to hit) or debuffing power pools that you may not have on your main build.

LOL! That's evil! I LOVE IT!

18 hours ago, TheWhiteLady said:

A little background... he and I have an RP scenario where we are creating a pair of toons who have (in Terminator style) travelled back in time to end a bloodline created by his bad-ash brute and my blaster.

The idea is that eventually we are going to square off. 

I'm not so worried about my blaster... but his brute is a vet level 50 SS/WP that does massive amounts of damage, max HP of 2400+, and out-tanks many tanks (which is one reason we don't generally team much).

This brute solos the Nemesis TV farm at +4/×8 with ease.

I'm thinking maybe end draining to detoggle (oh he has conserve power and unleash potential too)... so maybe just focusing on WP's weaknesses like toxic, psi, and negative energy?

A tank maybe? But will that do enough damage?

All suggestions welcome... well, you know, except asking me if I can bend over far enough to kiss my cheeks goodbye.

(Also, it'll be hoofing it to 50 alongside his blaster, so has to be blastie-friendly).

One weakness you can expose is his regen toggle. It drops extremely easy upon any stun/hold/sleep. It becomes a pain in the rear to keep that toggle up, in which the WP Brute is constantly having to retoggle it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheWhiteLady said:

What about fear? How good is it in PVP? I know there's little defense against it.

Willpower is one of the few sets with terrorize protection, and it doesn't detoggle offensive toggles (Rise to the Challenge counts as an offensive toggle) the way stuns and holds do.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

One weakness you can expose is his regen toggle. It drops extremely easy upon any stun/hold/sleep. It becomes a pain in the rear to keep that toggle up, in which the WP Brute is constantly having to retoggle it.

Unless he is building specifically for PvP, his mez resist will be 10.something.

Now I know absolutely nothing about PvP, but one thing I've been playing around with on scrappers is the single target hold in some of the epic pools.  If you slot Soul Storm, for example, with 2x lvl 50 Endoplasms, a lvl 50 recharge IO, Devastation proc, Lockdown proc, and a Superior Winter's Bite proc, you've got a mag 3 hold that basically has a 81% chance to add an additional +4 mag for 6 seconds in PvP and a 90% to slow him down a bit.  With a lot of global recharge (or other sources of hold) you should be able to stack the mag over 11.

It's crazy overkill for PvE, but it could be a nasty surprise for your hubby!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

Disclaimer:  I do not PvP and have minimal zone PvP experience.

• He has +perception via Heightened Senses.  This also includes perception debuff resistance.   Outright stealth not too effective, but stealth plus perception debuff might be surprisingly effective.
  • WP only gets massive levels of Regeneration when surrounded by foes. 
  • WP has no native slow or recharge debuff resistance 

All the above makes me like Tactical Arrow.  The first 3 powers all apply slow and recharge debuffs.  Plus considerable -fly.  Add in Flash Arrow plus a high degree of Concealment pool stealth may be enough to Blind and ground him (forced to chew yellows) while you go airborne making sure you have Evasive Maneuvers (for Fly protection) 

Now pair it with Ice for more slow and recharge debuffs.  Best case you ground him, slow him to a crawl while blinding him with floored recharge.  Worst case he flies anyway, has lots of recharge resists (through IOs) and enough perception debuff resists to chase you airborne.  

PS:  Ice also has Holds that you can proc and go to plan B (Yomo's crazy hold idea).  The drawback afaik is holds have very short durations (relatively) in PvP and you become immune for a short time after being Held.  Pretty much eliminated what Trollers/Doms can do to PvE foes but someone with actually PvP knowledge can probably say how accurately I recall things there.  I do know for a while Ice/Energy blasters were kings of PvP.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Woopsy added "of Regeneration" to what WP gets when surrounded
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, TheWhiteLady said:

LOL! That's evil! I LOVE IT!

So sad to see how CoH is breakign up this marriage... but, that said, GIT 'IM!

• Haha 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 hours ago, TheWhiteLady said:

What about fear? How good is it in PVP? I know there's little defense against it.

Mezzing is really different in PvP vs PvE.  Unlike in PvP, he won't have outright protection to holds/stuns/sleeps, so your first mez will mez him (and detoggle RttC).  But it will only last like 1-2 seconds.  And then you won't be able to re-mez him for a while.

So, I don't know how terrorize will work, but the role of mezzing in 1v1 PvP, especially if you're not a troller/dom, is like "detoggle and set up one attack," not "lock him down."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Mezzing is really different in PvP vs PvE.  Unlike in PvP, he won't have outright protection to holds/stuns/sleeps, so your first mez will mez him (and detoggle RttC).  But it will only last like 1-2 seconds.  And then you won't be able to re-mez him for a while.

So, I don't know how terrorize will work, but the role of mezzing in 1v1 PvP, especially if you're not a troller/dom, is like "detoggle and set up one attack," not "lock him down."

Can you switch between different mezzes, stun > hold > sleep, or do you get generalized mez protection after the first mez of any type?

7 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

Can you switch between different mezzes, stun > hold > sleep, or do you get generalized mez protection after the first mez of any type?

It's in the middle and I probably don't remember the details exactly right, but I think it's something like "you get protection against kb once you've been kb'd," and then "you get protection against common mezzes (hold/sleep/stun?) once you've taken any common mez," and "you get protection against exotic mezzes (terrorize/confuse?) once you've taken any exotic mez."

Again, that's probably not exactly right, but the point is that they've lumped mezzes into a few categories and taking any mez in that category protects you against all mezzes in that category for a while.

Edit: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Player_vs_Player#Status_Effect_.26_Knockback_Suppression

So the categories are "kd/kb/ku", "confuse," and "everything else, including terrorize and immobilize." The protection timers are 15 seconds for the two mezzes and 10 seconds for knocks.

Edited by aethereal
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dabble in PVP occassionally, here would be my recommendations.

If your showdown is going to have a no-inspiration rule:  A kin/elec defender, built for maximum sapping.  It is the "I win" card against anything that doesn't have end drain protection (like Willpower).  Open with Aim + Power build up + Thunderous blast (slotted for max end drain) + transference.  That can sometimes two-shot a blue bar. If it doesn't you have to close in for short circuit and then they are done.   Once drained, all you have to do is apply siphon speed and short circuit every time those are up and they will not be going anywhere and not recovering endurance.  However if inspirations are allowed, he can bring a whole tray of giant blues and negate your one trick.

For a drawn out fight with insps allowed, I'd go for slows / recharge debuffs, which WP doesn't resist.  You can pop yellows when you are -tohit debuffed, you can pop greens when you are getting nailed with damage, blues when you are being sapped, reds if you are -dmg debuffed.  But there's no inspiration which counters slows.  If he slots a lot of Winter sets he'll get some slow protection, though. 

Rad/Ice defender would stack ice's slows and -recharge with lingering radiation.  Good damage output when you add damage procs to Freeze Ray and blasts.  You'll have to watch out for his holds (KO blow or any epic/patron) detoggling your rad debuffs and get them back on ASAP before resuming your blasting.  Whatever hits he gets through, you should survive them as enervating field will be reducing his damage and you have the self heal.  Power boost from soul mastery can also save you in a pinch by boosting your def, the -tohit of rad infection, and the power of your self heal for 15 seconds.

Other sets will also deliver similar slows and debuffs -- like cold, trick arrow, and poison -- but the self-heal in rad really helps in the kind of drawn out fights that you get when you're up against a melee with a big bag of HP. 

Only other suggestion, not something I've played myself but have seen in action absolutely stomping in 1v1s: a Necro/dark mastermind.  They stack crazy -tohit and their AOE heal outpaces incoming damage.  The ones I've been up against ruined my melee toons without breaking a sweat, and even my fire blaster couldn't put out enough burst AOE damage before the debuffs kicked in and I was done for.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't PVP, but my WP brute frequently gets toggle dropped by Mu Adepts. End drain is a definite weakness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller