Focused Feedback: Ice Control Changes

• Developer

Ice Control Changes

• Shivers:
    • Renamed from "Shiver".
    • This power has its cooldown increased from 30s to 40s.
    • Added a scale 10 Fear cone that has a 45 degree arc (the slow cone is still 135 degrees).
    • Now accepts ATOs, Fear enhancements and sets.
  • Ice Slick:
    • Now does damage.
    • Now accepts Accuracy and Damage enhancements.
    • Now accepts Ranged AoE and Universal Damage sets.
  • Arctic Air:
    • Now has Overpower and Domination effects.
    • (Dominators) No longer accepts Fear enhancements or sets. This power never applied a fear effect.

Ice slick does damage? Yep. Sure does. Not a lot, but it's there. 
Now, Arctic Air being able to trip Overpower, that's pretty noticeable. You can get a LOT of confusion flying around in a group with that toggle on, now. It's quite nice, being a mobile chaos zone. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

7 hours ago, The Curator said:

• Arctic Air:
    • Now has Overpower and Domination effects.

I missed that the first time I read. This feels amazing on my permadom, I'm just standing around and bosses even get confused. This with the shiver change make ice really feel like a strong control set, even though it's risky to use.

8 hours ago, The Curator said:

Ice Slick:

• Now does damage.
  • Now accepts Accuracy and Damage enhancements.
  • Now accepts Ranged AoE and Universal Damage sets.

Please fix this so that they also FINALLY will take slow and knockback sets. Same goes for Ice Patch.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

This power has its cooldown increased from 30s to 40s.

Don't forget to extend it's duration too. It was already kinda BS that it takes a bit  to just perma the slow, especially when blasters version was already easily permable out of the gate. 30 second duration at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Added a scale 10 Fear cone that has a 45 degree arc (the slow cone is still 135 degrees).
  • Now accepts ATOs, Fear enhancements and sets.

This was meant to be "terrify" per status right? As in, the control where they cower, not that AI effect where they try to run away?

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to check the changes out, but this looks promising.  I wonder if the accuracy on ice slick is only for the damage application or if it affects the knockdown chance.  If anyone has had a chance to check, I would love to know. 

2 minutes ago, TNT said:

I haven't had a chance to check the changes out, but this looks promising.  I wonder if the accuracy on ice slick is only for the damage application or if it affects the knockdown chance.  If anyone has had a chance to check, I would love to know. 

I'm fairly confident that that at least would be only for the damage, not the knockdown effect. Could be wrong given some of the changes in this patch in the wrong direction, but i would imagine it's only for the damage. Considering the damage I would imagine is from them falling though, seems like that should be autohit as well given it's minor.

5 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

I'm fairly confident that that at least would be only for the damage, not the knockdown effect. Could be wrong given some of the changes in this patch in the wrong direction, but i would imagine it's only for the damage. Considering the damage I would imagine is from them falling though, seems like that should be autohit as well given it's minor.

Can confirm after doing some data digging the patch is still autohit and it's only the damage that's flagged to require a tohit roll.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Behold my altitis

Webmistress Shelob - Crab Spider Soldier (50)

Bulldog Palmieri - AR/Devices Blaster (50)

Queen I - Elec/FF Controller (50)

Sir Bedrock - Fire/Stone Brute (50)

8 minutes ago, Generator said:

How much does it do compared to Bonfire (which seems to me to be its closest comp)?

It's a constant stream of rapid 1 damage ticks on my controller, like Rain of Fire. If I had to guess it's about the same?

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

4 minutes ago, Crasical said:

It's a constant stream of rapid 1 damage ticks on my controller, like Rain of Fire. If I had to guess it's about the same?

Fair enough.  I mean, I'm not really invested in that power for damage, but if it's there, I'll take it.  Got an Ice^3 Dom that'll be keen to kick the tires on these changes.

The real test with the changes is can Ice Control control a group of mobs without getting hit by the alpha? I don’t have a huge experience of ice control, but from memory ice slick doesn’t always do the job.

Artic air is a PBAoE toggle whilst Shiver is a cone, which normally makes for a difficult pairing (having to step out of melee to line up a cone).

• Thumbs Up 3

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

9 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

The real test with the changes is can Ice Control control a group of mobs without getting hit by the alpha? I don’t have a huge experience of ice control, but from memory ice slick doesn’t always do the job.

Artic air is a PBAoE toggle whilst Shiver is a cone, which normally makes for a difficult pairing (having to step out of melee to line up a cone).

I've not tested but my read is that the intention is for Shiver to be used as the alpha mitigation as you run in and then Arctic Air and Ice Slick can take over. That way you would only need Shiver once per spawn.

6 minutes ago, Parabola said:

I've not tested but my read is that the intention is for Shiver to be used as the alpha mitigation as you run in and then Arctic Air and Ice Slick can take over. That way you would only need Shiver once per spawn.

Hmm but the terrify cone on Shivers is quite narrow - unlike Terrify and Fearsome Stare which have nice wide cones. The wide cone part of Shivers is the slow, but that won't do anything against the initial volley. 

The nice thing about Ice Patch damage will surely be the slotting opportunities? It is a power which is difficult to slot at the moment as all you need is a few recharges. 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

2 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

The nice thing about Ice Patch damage will surely be the slotting opportunities? It is a power which is difficult to slot at the moment as all you need is a few recharges. 

I have been putting an Artillery set in there for damage and ranged defense.

Since, this set is cone based a nice trick is to use combat teleport.

Fire cones, combat tp into the spawn to fire PBAOEs or melee.

Then combat tp back to a good location to fire cones again.

Example macro:

/bind lshift+s powexec_location back:35 combat teleport

36 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:

The power's arc is the same as Fearsome Stare and Terrify's: 45 degrees.

Oh that is something. Still I’d be interested in how much control Ice Control can reach. It was quite a long way behind the other sets, relying very heavily on Ice Patch which lets be honest, is the sort of soft control that non-control sets usually rely on.

I like the confuse changes to Arctic Air. I just think if Shivers was also a targeted AoE skill it would create a really cool play style where you could control from melee range. 

Edited by Peacemoon
  • Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Still don't understand why Ice Slick was given damage. It's pretty meaningless even in an solo x8. If it was to provide some IO flexibility surely Slow would have made more sense? 

Here's an attackless x8 AE mission (Galaxy Brain's Office Simulator) on my Ice/Traps controller.

Arcane Bolt outdamaged it and I only cast that 11 times. 

image.png.a73843313a302f7b8e3911db4e891d4b.png

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Peacemoon said:

Hmm but the terrify cone on Shivers is quite narrow - unlike Terrify and Fearsome Stare which have nice wide cones. The wide cone part of Shivers is the slow, but that won't do anything against the initial volley. 

Of course, the BIG issue, is why does it STILL not accept slow and kb sets like it should. That needed fixed WELL before adding any damage to it.