Builds with experimentation pool

battlewraith

Hey peeps, 

I really like the aesthetic of the experimentation power pool, but when trying to incorporate it fully into a build I haven't had much success with it. The damage from toxic dart seems almost imaginary and corrosive vial seems to have a very small area of effect that doesn't seem to be worth the investment. Does anyone have any good slottings or synergies with these powers that makes them rewarding in a build?

My characters which take the Experimentation pool are looking at two powers: Speed of Sound and Adrenal Booster. Any other power is had simply to have access to Adrenal Booster as it requires two previous powers in the pool to access. Like Boxing and Kick in the Fighting pool, whichever power you take to enable Adrenal Booster is there to meet requirement and only slotted if there are set bonus reasons to do so.

As example, my Elec/Ice blaster is themed as a speedster, hence Speed of Sound. With perma-Hasten and Agility Core Paragon his build should have Adrenal Booster up for 60s out of every 156s, nearly 40% of the time. 

• Like 3

I tend to take Experimentation pool with my Poison toons. The Exp Injection, Dart and Vial fit perfectly with poison's own powers... even the orb/vial is the same. Some might find them redundant, but I think they're complementary or Supplementary to Poison.

In other cases, I turn to experimentation if the AT and/or powers I chose didn't have any debuffs at all. Experimentation specifically if the toon has no supernatural powers... meaning he has to rely on objects (like the dart and the vial, and Adrenal Booster is due to stuff he injected/injested).

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

Toxic Dart is actually a pretty good attack.  It's very fast animating.  The thing is, it's a long DoT.

Yeah I like the animation. I guess the thing is that in the time it takes that dot to transpire, I could've hit the the target with a couple other frontloaded attacks. So I always wonder if it's just a waste of end. Maybe if I procced it out somehow it would be more obviously useful (?).

12 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

Toxic Dart is actually a pretty good attack.  It's very fast animating.  The thing is, it's a long DoT.

Toxic Dart is sneaky good; I can't fit it into a lot of builds but those that it can fit in use it quite often.  It's especially good at getting runners to turn around and come back.  

Corrosive Vial has a tiny AoE (8') and can only hit 5 targets, but it's an auto-hit on a long recharge and has access to 9 procs: 4 damage, two -Res, two KD, and an Immob.  For a one- or two-slot investment, you get some decent ROI.  

Speed of Sound is my favorite always-on travel power, perfect for popping from mob to mob on melee/PBAoE types, and just as useful for instantly appearing next to teammates who could use a hand.  Or, if you're hopelessly lost on a map, just target the nearest person who doesn't appear to be lost and blorp in next to them.

Adrenal Booster offers some nice buffs, seems tailor-made for Corruptors and Dominators but I can never fit it into one of those.  I have fit it on some Claws and Spines characters and it definitely amps up the damage output, especially when used in conjunction with Corrosive Vial.

Experimental Injection is a modern take on Sir Not Appearing In This Film.

• Like 3

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

• 1 month later

I've been trying to use it as a primary damage source on my Red Skull homage, but it's just not working for me.  The character feels incapable of doing much of ANYTHING.  His damage, and that of his mercs, is nearly nonexistent, and he seems to have little to debuff with, though the Radiation secondary does help some (though its heal is minimal and range is nonexistent, its debuffs are adequate).

• 2 weeks later

I take everything in experiment pool on my petless MM. Corrosive Vial is one of my favorite moves, I load it up with procs, very fun using it to nuke things. W/ all my recharge stuff I can get it down to 20ish seconds. I got Experimental Injection recovery to 50% and regen to 100% I try to hand it out often.

I would really like to see Toxic Dart go from ten ticks to five (double the damage per tick) and add a -regen proc (equivalent to envenomed daggers)...

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

• 3 weeks later

• 1 year later

Apologies for the necro, but I'd rather bring this back than start a functionally identical post.

I've been using this pool more and more on my army of scrappers, and thought maybe Id share.

Adrenal Booster is the prize of the set.  A 60 second power with a 600 second cooldown; for me that means that I can have it active about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time.  +34.6% damage boost, which is always nice.  +34.6% recharge speed, which is also very nice.  Looks like control effects last 34.6% longer, but I've never really paid attention to that.  None of this is enhanceable.  +34.6% to hit boost, which is a LOT, and which is also enhanceable.  I've been three slotting it with 3 lvl 53 Membrane HOs (which gets you deeply into the red ED zone on recharge time and to hit buffs), but functionally you should be fine with 2x lvl 50+5 recharge IOs since the base to hit is probably sufficient for my purposes.  If you don't have a build-up type power, the Gaussians proc is a good add and will have max proc chances.

My two "pre-req" pool picks are generally Speed of Sound and Experimental Injection, and I will stick with the base slot on each (where I will put the Winter's Gift Slow Resistance and the Preventative Medicine chance for absorb respectively).  the PM proc will trigger no matter where it is in your build, so that's just a useful mule and I don't think I've ever actually used it on an ally, because I'm short-sighted and selfish like that.  More PM pieces would give some nice set bonuses.

I've tried Toxic Dart in the past, but like most pool attacks, it's not powerful.  Personally I would not use it (or most pool attacks) as part of an attack chain but would use it as a ranged attack to pull if I didn't have one elsewhere.

Corrosive Vial isn't a bad power at all, but it doesn't often make the cut.  It summons a pseudo-pet on the target and affects foes in an 8 foot radius.  That's small but as a scrapper in melee range I'm generally going to max out and hit the max of five enemies.  It does not take direct accuracy enhancements, so procs that require to hit rolls (I think just damage procs) are going to have a tough time hitting unless you use set IOs that have accuracy.  The power takes defense debuff sets, ranged AoE sets, and universal damage sets.  A no-brainer for me is an Achilles Heel proc and an Annihilation proc (although I've never bothered to check the combat logs on how often or even if they trigger.)  If I have a ton of free slots, I'll two slot Ragnarok with the A/R and the knockdown proc and/or two slot Frozen Blast for the slow resist.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

I have Thugs/Rad MM that has a thematic base of exuding various pheromones to affect others (is not radiation you see) and I took the experimentation pool because of that.  They are all kind of meh for the AT I am playing.  Arsonist scatters enemies so Corrosive Vial is rendered essentially ineffective and toxic dart is not very good but I use because of theme (she uses her pheromones to get others to fight for her, conversely she isn't good with guns either.  Now Experimental on the Bruiser.  Money!

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 9/13/2022 at 8:09 AM, battlewraith said:

Hey peeps, 

I really like the aesthetic of the experimentation power pool, but when trying to incorporate it fully into a build I haven't had much success with it. The damage from toxic dart seems almost imaginary and corrosive vial seems to have a very small area of effect that doesn't seem to be worth the investment. Does anyone have any good slottings or synergies with these powers that makes them rewarding in a build?

You may like this?

It's very thematic & uses Experimental Pool

Defender (Poison - Radiation Blast).mbd

Adrenal Booster is a big highlight. I found out some interesting things when reviewing a Time Corruptor build... AB is a Power Boost ability, it also increases recharge for 60s and helps facilitate high recharge builds. Easy personal sources of Power Boost include AB at 27.68, Power Build Up and Power Boost at 78.67, and Clarion at 60 for 22.5s. However, AB is the earliest source of Power Boost you can get at level 20. Paired with early Force Field shields, it can be very potent.

Next part involves managing cooldowns: On my already perma Chrono Shift build + AB's recharge boost I can get AB down to 140s recharge with a 60s duration. Farsight has a 56s recharge and 120s duration. Theoretically you should be able to chain together AB + FS, FS, AB + FS for a perma 27.68 boost. Boosted Force Field shields should also work in a similar manner. I'll attach the build.

The boost is small, but all of this together could potentially open up builds to do things like: Pursue other Epics instead of PBU/PB. Grab a different Destiny instead of Clarion. Or stack three of them together for a 166.35 Power Boost effect.

Time AB Theorycraft.mbd

Edited by Wimbochismo
These are Corruptor values. Other AT's differ.
  • Like 3

On 11/26/2023 at 8:02 AM, JJDrakken said:

Do you know what format or program file type is that please?  I have Mids installed, but when I download this, my computer doesn't recognize it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

20 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Do you know what format or program file type is that please?  I have Mids installed, but when I download this, my computer doesn't recognize it.

I'm like a broken record with this response by now, lol.

YOUR MIDS IS OLD, DELETE IT, REMOVE IT FROM EXISTENCE 🙂  GO to Mid's website and DL the latest version and then make sure to update that again. Any time you get issues like that, 99% time, your mids is outdated.  They rebuilt a new setup and you'll have to get that & not use the old.

I didn't get a harumpfh from that guy.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

11 hours ago, JJDrakken said:

I'm like a broken record with this response by now, lol.

YOUR MIDS IS OLD, DELETE IT, REMOVE IT FROM EXISTENCE 🙂  GO to Mid's website and DL the latest version and then make sure to update that again. Any time you get issues like that, 99% time, your mids is outdated.  They rebuilt a new setup and you'll have to get that & not use the old.

I have done so, multiple times now; the update feature still doesn't appear to work.  All my builds continue to work, just not these.  I suppose this is still on me for not renewing it every 3 months or something then.

ETA: yeah that is apparently the problem, mine's gasp a year old now.  I'll get to my homework later, thanks though!

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I have done so, multiple times now; the update feature still doesn't appear to work.  All my builds continue to work, just not these.  I suppose this is still on me for not renewing it every 3 months or something then.

ETA: yeah that is apparently the problem, mine's gasp a year old now.  I'll get to my homework later, thanks though!

That's why I said. Uninstall hat you got. Scrub it off your machine. Then DL the latest from the sight. Then update that version also.

6 hours ago, JJDrakken said:

That's why I said. Uninstall hat you got. Scrub it off your machine. Then DL the latest from the sight. Then update that version also.

I normally have less than an hour at a time to do game stuff, I'll play until it seems more important or I get a larger stretch of time, builds are only nominally important to me ha ha

• 3 weeks later
On 11/21/2023 at 9:19 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Corrosive Vial isn't a bad power at all, but it doesn't often make the cut.  It summons a pseudo-pet on the target and affects foes in an 8 foot radius.  That's small but as a scrapper in melee range I'm generally going to max out and hit the max of five enemies.  It does not take direct accuracy enhancements, so procs that require to hit rolls (I think just damage procs) are going to have a tough time hitting unless you use set IOs that have accuracy.  The power takes defense debuff sets, ranged AoE sets, and universal damage sets.  A no-brainer for me is an Achilles Heel proc and an Annihilation proc (although I've never bothered to check the combat logs on how often or even if they trigger.)  If I have a ton of free slots, I'll two slot Ragnarok with the A/R and the knockdown proc and/or two slot Frozen Blast for the slow resist.

Corrosive Vial isn't auto-hit, like a Burn patch?