So my girlfriend wants to roll up a Mass Effect inspired character...

lokiie1984

But she's not sure on which archetype and powers to pick besides the dual pistol (but open to others too.) The issue is she also wants to use Biotics, which to me sounds like energy blast but you cant really do energy and dual pistols. 

Anyone have any ideas? Even if it's through the use of epic power pools. When it comes to the epic pools, I'm not really sure what's all available for each archetype. 

Gravity Control perhaps for biotics? There's some overlap with some of its powers and some biotics. Gravity/Energy Dominator?

Force Fields has some overlap, especially with the force bolt and bomb, and barrier was a biotic power. So she could do an FF+Dual Pistol (or Assault Rifle) Corruptor or Defender.

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

1 minute ago, Gobbledegook said:

Isn't Biotics to do with plants,animals etc?.

In the Mass Effect continuum, biotics refers to abilities powered by Element Zero in a person's tissues.  A biotic character can create and control fields which alter gravity and mass, allowing them to fashion projectiles of warped space-time, erect barriers, create small black holes, lock enemies in stasis fields, and more.

It's super-science wizardry.  It's also insanely fun.  Think Warshade with combos that deal extra damage, impose -Res and make Hellion Golf look like putting 6".

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:47 PM, Six-Six said:

If I were you, I'd break up with her and get one that digs knives and brawling. 

... in video games.

Very important caveat on this one.

I recommend trying the alternative read once; more than once and you're on your own. 🤣

• Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 11/30/2022 at 6:34 AM, Oysterhead said:

Gravity Control perhaps for biotics? There's some overlap with some of its powers and some biotics. Gravity/Energy Dominator?

Force Fields has some overlap, especially with the force bolt and bomb, and barrier was a biotic power. So she could do an FF+Dual Pistol (or Assault Rifle) Corruptor or Defender.

Yeah, and maybe take fold space too.

Maybe a Dual Pistol/Mental Manipulation Blaster? Mental Manipulation has a strong knockback (TK Thrust), plus some control you might be able to fluff as gravity or mass manipulation with changing FX colors. You could also put Knockdown procs Psychic Scream (from Ragnarok)  and Psychic Shockwave (an Overwhelming Force or the one from Avalanche) to make them look/act more like telekinesis.

Edited by ViciousCabaret

On 11/29/2022 at 2:41 PM, lokiie1984 said:

But she's not sure on which archetype and powers to pick besides the dual pistol (but open to others too.) The issue is she also wants to use Biotics, which to me sounds like energy blast but you cant really do energy and dual pistols. 

Anyone have any ideas? Even if it's through the use of epic power pools. When it comes to the epic pools, I'm not really sure what's all available for each archetype. 

Depends. Mass Effect (the good ones) make you choose between being a biotic god, and being a soldier boi. Biotics come in a variety of flavors, three specifically. Adept, Sentinel (heh), and Vanguard(heh heh).

Adept:

Gravity Control/Force Field Controller - A Grav/FF controller is literally the build I uased for my Liara expy, it's good stuff. No powerset is as versatile as biotics are, but Grav has just about everything on the usual biotic power list. Throw, lift, stasis... it even has a sort of "combo" with Gravity Distortion in the same vein as biotic combos (sans the biotic explosion). Forcefield is a bit of stretch, but, Mass Effect 2 says biotics can make big biotic bubbles, so, here you go. It also comes with a couple of "biotic" powers of its own.

Gravity/Time Controller - This is the same thing, but a generally more active character with combo mechanics (time has this thing where you can apply a status to enemies and allies that enhances your buffs and debuffs on them respectively)

Gravity/Dark Miasma Controller - This is like the other two, but focuses on debuffs rather than support. Just ignore the dog summon (if you want, maybe she likes dogs, I wouldn't know, she's your girlfriend not mine yet.)

EDIT: Gravity/Radiation Emission Controller - I often forget Radiation Emission exists due to it's focus on toggles? But, in experimenting with VFX and trying to match the mechanics of biotics? It fits REALLY well visually and thematically, since mostly likely, the only time itll see it's maximum usefulness is on small, or especially coordinated teams (or solo).

Vanguard (heh heh):

Gravity Control/Energy Assault Dominator - If you wanna knock fools around with your space magic, then punch them in the face with your space magician hands, this is what you wanna do. Combine with Combat Teleport for your "biotic charge" and watch as you dunk on the universe. 

Psi Blast/Energy Manipulation Blaster - For a version with more Ranged DPS and less control, this offers the same thing, but with less control and more mind bullets. As it so happens this is also probably a considerably more powerful character if she cares about such things. You'll want to maybe learn how to B L A P P E R from the B L A P P E R gods, since she's gonna wanna be at range AND in melee. Take combat teleport.

Beam Rifle/Energy Manipulation Blaster - As above, but you get a laser gun instead of mind bullets. Combat teleport.

Psi Melee/Bio Armor Brute OR Bio Armor/ Psi Melee Tanker - If she liked being a melee beast as a biotic, here's that. The former is more damage focused, the latter is probably one of the best characters in the game (IMO don't bully me metalords im just baby). COOMBAT TELEPOORT

Sentinel (heh):

Beam Rifle/Dark Miasma Corruptor OR Dark Miasma/Beam Rifle Defender - It's a laser gun, and warp. Tech, and biotics. It's more than the sentinel ever got in Mass Effect. The former does damage, the latter is loved by all for the HUUUUGE debuffs (maybe not the bad guys, they might not love u, but is ok, u have a girlfriend 4 dat)

Elec Affinity/Dark Blast Defender OR Dark Blast/Elec Affinity Corruptor - Elec Affinity... KINDA has armor? Kinda? Faraday Cage is real real good, insulating circuit is absorbtion on demand... I 'unno dude. It's overload and warp on one character, I'm trying my best. Pick the defender for the big support numbers, pick Corruptor if you like bigger per hit damage.

Beam Rifle OR Duel Pistols/Bio Armor Sentinel - It's a shooty blam blamm person, but, they have weird armor that they summon over their normal clothes! Bio Armor also comes with some powers that could be flavored as biotics... and if you go DP you get ammo changing? And you could flavor standard rounds as Warp Ammo? Kinda? Still, Bio Armor functions quite similarly to tech armor, so there you go I guess.

Beam Rifle OR Duel Pistols/Energy Aura - Same as above, but it's literally armor made out of energy. 

Edited by Redletter
I forgot Radiation Emission existed, so I had to throw it in there.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Resident certified baby

I was thinking Dual Pistols / Martial Combat Blaster.... use the ( /bind j PowExecLocation Target Burst of Speed ) to jump into combat then Ki Push and shoot them as they float away! Let hilarity ensue!

Note: Burst of speed has twice the range of Combat TP and does damage... Also, the recharge makes it very proc-friendly even though you can spam it thrice in a row...

Edited by Zepp
  • Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I went with a Traps/AR defender.

Keelah.png

• Thanks 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

• 1 month later
On 11/30/2022 at 3:10 PM, Gobbledegook said:

Isn't Biotics to do with plants,animals etc?.

Not in the Mass Effect universe.  Biotics are kinda like telekinetics.  Blue energy that makes stuff fly across the room kind of thing.  Gravity Control would fit perfectly if the theme didn't call for Dual Pistols.