Classic/Grind Server?

mrdeeds7

Not sure if this is even possible within the parameters of how Homecoming works. As frustrating and hour intensive it was I miss the amount of sheer effort that used to be required to level and I think that as a player the ease of levelling today changes the entire way the game is played now. It would be really cool if there were a server that ran on more old school parameters. For those who want to pour months into levelling a toon all the way to 50. I remember the days when you needed to be careful about your mix of ATs even for a Posi 1 or a Synapse otherwise you might not even be able to complete it. Don't get me wrong, failed Synapse runs really suck.. my point is, having a "hard mode" server where players who want to grind could gather would be interesting in my opinion. 

Something like 

- no exp boosters (or they are prohibitively expensive)

- no WST bonus

- no power creep (I suspect this is definitely not possible)

- no character transfers to this server

Just an idea. I think when the xp gains are slower you are more likely to branch out into different in game content. If you run WSTs only you can pretty much get to 40 with just the DFB + 6 TFC TFs + a single ITF run and whether the majority of people do it or not it does feel like a core part of Homecoming is easy levelling... or at least easy compared to how it was on live. Would anyone join me on the grind server? 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

This is effectively possible to do already, it would just take an individual desire to do so. Just as a simple example, I can rack up debt after level 10 or turn it off entirely whenever I feel like it. I can slot Training Origin enhancements instead of Single Origin enhancements (or the Invention Origin and their respective sets). I can refuse the bonuses offered at the end of Task Forces and the like. And as @drdread points out, this is a popular challenge already being undertaken voluntarily by like minded players. 

• Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Just stating the obvious on this: Experience Multiplicative Earnings are OPTIONAL and in no way required, enforced, coerced, or demanded of any player, so why do people keep asking for them to be removed because they make the game too easy for them? Stop using the boosters!

Don't want the XP gains from the WST?

DON'T RUN THE WST!

Why does this keep coming up?

Picard Facepalm Meme Watercolor Picard Print Meme Art - Etsy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

i regularly (once a year or so) go through a challenge of soloing a lot of the contacts on the game.  stopping experience and doing every single mission until they tell me they have no more (blueside) or piss off (redside)

no reason for anyone to create a old school server.  go be old school.  i use i/o's as they come available.  go all SO!  DO!  just what drops, no auction house!  go nutz! kill skulz!

A hard mode server on homecoming?  Hmm, waste of resources if it's just taking away stuff.  Could just, I dunno, not use any of that stuff.

I've seen to many games do the "Hey lets just take a million things away from the player and make it grindier and call it hard mode", like fallout 4's survival mode(limited saves on a game prone to crashing, no thanks, oh yeah extremely limited inventory) and No Mans sky survival mode(increased death penalties, shorter time in hard environments and ridiculously lowered inventory space).  It's never well received.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Of course you can do all this stuff already, but you'll be doing it alone- which is my point. Most of the teaming that happens is zipping through stuff to knock it out and nab the rewards. If there was a designated server for not doing it, then that would just be somewhere you could go to find other players also. It's funny to me to see upset responses about this one... 

Edited by mrdeeds7
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

26 minutes ago, mrdeeds7 said:

Of course you can do all this stuff already, but you'll be doing it alone- which is my point. Most of the teaming that happens is zipping through stuff to knock it out and nab the rewards. If there was a designated server for not doing it, then that would just be somewhere you could go to find other players also. It's funny to me to see upset responses about this one... 

I'd rather just the resources go towards keeping the four we have already, and improved QoL that homecoming is known for.  Again, if you don't want things like the double exp, theres nothing forcing you to use them, heck theres even benefit to not using them, like more influence or getting to do more story archs before outleveling them(or turning off exp).  I just dont see a point to making a server dedicated to just longer grinding and no IO's. 

I wouldn't be surprised if theres a private server out there that has reverted to the old super grindy ways of the earlier pre-IO days.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mrdeeds7 said:

Ukase (I am throwing him under the bus without asking, so like me) regularly starts a team at level 1 and crawls through the entire game.  The current iteration has been running a little over a month.  It is an SO only team, with only free stuff from P2W.  

I am considering starting a team to crawl through the game.  I have an odd schedule and odder interests.  Not sure if it will come together.  My thought is that every character would need to be Dark/Dark/Dark/Soul/Necro/DARK you get the idea.  If nothing else we would have the enemies to hit debuffed into the....dark ages....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrdeeds7 said:

It would be really cool if there were a server that ran on more old school parameters. For those who want to pour months into levelling a toon all the way to 50.

It's called Rebirth.

Super nice people who are chill with Homecoming and the server has lots of neat and different features. 

They'll love to have you for when you want to feel the grind and won't mind losing you when you want to come back here to play, when you do.

That was my experience, at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

It's called Rebirth.

Super nice people who are chill with Homecoming and the server has lots of neat and different features. 

They'll love to have you for when you want to feel the grind and won't mind losing you when you want to come back here to play, when you do.

That was my experience, at least.

Yep.  @mrdeeds7 , what you are looking for will not be found on Homecoming.  You will find it on Rebirth.  It's a good server that more closely hews to how the game was back in the Issue 24 beta, with a friendly community.  You can check it out here.  Rebirth doesn't have the population of Homecoming, but it has about the same population of Homecoming's Indomitable shard, and their population has been steadily increasing as more people have been checking it out over the past several months.

Edited by Astralock
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mrdeeds7 said:

Of course you can do all this stuff already, but you'll be doing it alone- which is my point.

It's likely that you'd be doing it alone most of the time anyway, even on a server with enforced restrictions, so you might as well do it on a populated server where you can meet people, make friends and eventually develop a network of players who want to do it together.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

26 minutes ago, Luminara said:

It's likely that you'd be doing it alone most of the time anyway, even on a server with enforced restrictions, so you might as well do it on a populated server where you can meet people, make friends and eventually develop a network of players who want to do it together.

I've found from experience that you have a better chance of making friends on smaller servers and shards than you do on heavily populated servers and shards.  Just my experience from both live and on Homecoming.

2 hours ago, Astralock said:

Yep.  @mrdeeds7 , what you are looking for will not be found on Homecoming.  You will find it on Rebirth.  It's a good server that more closely hews to how the game was back in the Issue 24 beta, with a friendly community.  You can check it out here.  Rebirth doesn't have the population of Homecoming, but it has about the same population of Homecoming's Indomitable shard, and their population has been steadily increasing as more people have been checking it out over the past several months.

Thanks! Don't get me wrong I love Homecoming. It's not like I'm going anywhere. I enjoy spirited discussions about the game on here, and thanks to everyone who took the time to post a comment. Merry Christmas all :)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

If anything,  we need less servers,  not more.  And to not split the dev time on maintaining 2 code bases.

Ive leveled a character through contact missions to 50 on homecoming,  anyone can if they want to.  We even did a SOs only mothership raid with 20ish people.  Hardmode or oldschool mode exists,  you usually have to gather the people yourself though.

Or you could run in dumb mode, like this guy: 

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

19 hours ago, mrdeeds7 said:

Not sure if this is even possible within the parameters of how Homecoming works. As frustrating and hour intensive it was I miss the amount of sheer effort that used to be required to level and I think that as a player the ease of levelling today changes the entire way the game is played now. It would be really cool if there were a server that ran on more old school parameters. For those who want to pour months into levelling a toon all the way to 50. I remember the days when you needed to be careful about your mix of ATs even for a Posi 1 or a Synapse otherwise you might not even be able to complete it. Don't get me wrong, failed Synapse runs really suck.. my point is, having a "hard mode" server where players who want to grind could gather would be interesting in my opinion. 

Something like 

- no exp boosters (or they are prohibitively expensive)

- no WST bonus

- no power creep (I suspect this is definitely not possible)

- no character transfers to this server

Just an idea. I think when the xp gains are slower you are more likely to branch out into different in game content. If you run WSTs only you can pretty much get to 40 with just the DFB + 6 TFC TFs + a single ITF run and whether the majority of people do it or not it does feel like a core part of Homecoming is easy levelling... or at least easy compared to how it was on live. Would anyone join me on the grind server? 

Rebirth is a thing. You’re not gettin a server for this, and certainly not a lot of players on it if you did.

I hate to be the grinch who stole Christmas but since this topic keeps recycling, I think it bears saying.

Remember the variables surrounding your time to play back then:

-Less responsibility.

-less options for well put together MMOs(ehhh that one’s STILL up in the air imo)

-More patience from the community(The rules and responsibilities were different back then)

This server I think would go the way of the dodo after a time. 5 people teaming regularly at low end, 100 at BEST on high end, yes, even on HC.

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 2

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

9 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

The server with no 2xp already exists it's Rebirth, but it's not on Homecoming. Like others have said using the 2xp booster is optional. Hell you can even shut up off all together in general as well if you want.

The character I did every contact, every mission, for every contact not accessible at 50.  that took me 4 months or so to go 1-50.  

Oh, and I did it on Homecoming Excelsior.  No need for a new server at all.  Just shut off experience, side switched through Null, and ground contacts.