How do you organize your in-game tabs ?

rprandi

The 1 2 3 4 chat tabs?

1 is NPC dialogue so i can remove their spam from the main window but still see cutscene captions.

2 is rewards so i can see my xp without it spamming my main chat window.

3 is event messages for hero, villain and praetorian so i can find whats happening on the server without scrolling back through all the chat.

4 is damage dealt so i can see my damage without it scrolling by at light speed while mixed in with the rest of the combat log.

• Like 2

M Help Combat Dam LFG G

Always in this order on every character.

• M: Rewards tab for XP/INF and also where Pet/NPC Chatter resides.
  • Help: Help, of course, but I also put the Request channel here for Raids
  • Combat: This is all combat logs sans damage
  • Dam: This is all combat damage, if I'm running a MM I'll add another tab for Pet Damage (P-Dam)
  • LFG: The LFG core channel and three other created LFG channels.
  • G: General, just to keep it isolated. A place for the noise away from the other noise. I nearly never look in here.

Bottom window is set to Rewards 98% of the time with Hero and Villain Zone event warnings. I have a second tab that reviews  DMG taken and given. 

I have three windows on top I toggle to depending on what I am doing in game. The first window is set up for all chat: local, broadcast, tells, friends etc. Second window is set up for team play: local, broadcast, tells, team. The third window is set for League play: local, broadcast, tells, league and request.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

I create a tab in the lower right for rewards, one just above it for combat info, remove those things from the main chat window, but otherwise pretty much leave them alone.  I tend to do a lot more moving around and organizing with my power trays, TBH...

In the main window, I have the top half set to all server-wide chat channels. The bottom half is for more localized channels. NPC and cutscene dialogue is in a closed tab by itself. Combat channels are also tucked away in another tab. The only other thing I have open and visible is a tab that contains System, Reward, Error, and Market messages.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I have the Global with a lot of stuff stripped out but all zone events added.  A lot of the items are duplicated in other tabs.  LFG stays here even though it gets cluttery and sometimes spammy.

I have Help for Help.

I have Combat for Combat.  If I have real pets (or a lot of pseudo-pet activity) that I want to review I sometimes parse out pet chat items into a separate tab.

I have General for General channel.  I like gabbing it up sometimes there but when clowns start on stupid things like panda conversations I have to have it not visible because I would shoot my computer

I have a Talk channel for the Coalition and SG chats

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

5 hours ago, evetsleep said:

Is there a way to save window configuration and placement so it is setup for each new alt?

Yes.

You can use  /chat_save  to save a default set-up and  /chat_load  to load it on every new character.

Alternatively, if you want multiple options, you can use  /chat_save_file "filename"  and then  /chat_load_file "filename"

Edited by Ironblade
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

My set-up would probably be annoying to many people.

The Global tab includes all global channels I'm on, plus Broadcast, Help and Rewards.

Help also gets a separate tab in case of an extended conversation or if I want to check back on something.  Rewards is the same story.

Combat is just combat rolls.

Tells tab is in case I miss a tell or want to look back.  PCSAR stands for Paragon City Search And Rescue.

The lower Chat tab includes: Local, Team, League, Supergroup, Tells and Hero/Villain/Praetorian zone alerts.

So, yeah, some busy chat windows.

chat.JPG

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I'm at work so I can't take a screenshot, but basically I have it set up like this:

Top window

Combat (everything) Pet Combat (I play a lot of MMs) Loot (exp, drops, etc)

Bottom Window

Team/Local/Tells LFG/Broadcast Help Global/General Alerts (monsters, events, etc) NPC Chatter

Top Window

General: NPC Dialouge, nearly all combat text and hit rolls (pet stuff excluded), Broadcast, Request, all zone events

Rewards

NPC Dialouge

Zone Messages: Broadcast, Request, all Zone Events

Bottom Window

Chat: Local, Team, League, Supergroup, Emotes, /Tells

LFG: Looking for Group, /Tells

(/Tells on both tabs so I don't miss anything)

Side Window

Consignment House

Help

General (chat channel)

Probably forgetting something, I can confirm my setup in a little bit when I get home from work.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I just wanna say that General Chat really annoys me. There is so much inane unrelatable shite that comes out of it - but just occasionally there's a gem - something I want and/or need

It seems there's a severe lack of an off topic "community" chat for stuff about coffee and wanking and shit your cat did (sometimes literally - along with the said location of feline depository) while General (which could be a very useful "catch all" channel for game relevant stuff that doesn't fit neatly into any of the other channels) gets swamped

Don't get me wrong - I have no issue with social channels existing and I do often take part in them but I don't want them clogging up my feeds when I'm trying to do stuff that I wanna do and currently General does seem to do that to the extent I have to hide it because not far removed from spam.

That said, I love the fact that people come to social in game and it's actually quite nice sometimes to take downtime and engage with it. I strongly feel a need for a dedicated "Social" channel where people can talk shit, post their stream of the day, talk about guitars vs organs, how much cooler my dog is than your cat (my dog wins, just so you know) and what my newest tropical fish is doing.

As I write this, it occurs to me this is a measure of HC's success and should perhaps be celebrated because we do have a community who wants to share stuff and we do have live active servers with a LOT of players on them at concurrent times - but it can be troublesome at the same time

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I use tear-off Chats, too, primarily one for NPC and Team chat. However, this got broken in a recent update — Ish 25, p1 or 2 — and you can no longer /windowscale or adjust the chat text in these windows. Very frustrating.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I added a tab for Architect Chat and another for Arena Chat in the bottom windows so when I want to talk in these channels I can just select the tab and then select the tiny “a” at the bottom of the chat window to make them the active channel.  It’s the easiest way to use these channels. 

In the top window I have Global, LFG, Help, Combat, System, and All Channels tabs. 

4 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I use tear-off Chats, too, primarily one for NPC and Team chat. However, this got broken in a recent update — Ish 25, p1 or 2 — and you can no longer /windowscale or adjust the chat text in these windows. Very frustrating.

You can grab the edge of a custom chat display window with your mouse and resize it that way, but I don't see any way to change the font size of a custom chat display without changing the font size globally.

23 hours ago, BlackSpectre said:

You can grab the edge of a custom chat display window with your mouse and resize it that way, but I don't see any way to change the font size of a custom chat display without changing the font size globally.

Right, you can resize it, but you can't rescale it — I have my Chat stack scaled at (I think) 0.75, so the tear off window is noticeably larger in tab size, border, etc., and the text is about 25% larger as well. None of the commands that used to control these (chat3 or chat5 or such) work any more. Bummer.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 1/12/2023 at 8:07 PM, BlackSpectre said:

I added a tab for Architect Chat and another for Arena Chat in the bottom windows so when I want to talk in these channels I can just select the tab and then select the tiny “a” at the bottom of the chat window to make them the active channel.  It’s the easiest way to use these channels.

Actually, it's easier than that. I have Help in the top pane and General in the next one down, and all the other chats in the third with Local set as the default. With that "a"ctive channel selected, you can switch entry to any of these (Help, General or Local) just by clicking in that pane. Don't even have to click the tab, and surez'ell don't have to click the right eeny-weeny button. 🙂

• Like 1