Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #15: Your preferred pairings

SeraphimKensai

Welcome back.

This week the focus is on what powerset and AT combos do you prefer to play and why.

Do you feel compelled to use a particular buff/debuff powerset as a Defender, Corruptor, Controller, or Mastermind? Do you find a blast powerset works better as a Sentinel, Blaster, or Corruptor? What about armor sets? Melee?

What powerset combinations keep your attention?

Edited by SeraphimKensai

7 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you feel compelled to use a particular buff/debuff powerset as a Defender, Corruptor, Controller, or Mastermind?

I feel compelled to use the power sets that fit my character conception on the character I'm making. I have well over 100.

8 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you find a blast powerset works better as a Sentinel, Blaster, or Corruptor?

I'm not sure what that means.

A blaster has more range and does more damage than corruptors or sentinels.

10 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

What about armor sets?

Armor sets work best on tankers.

10 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Melee?

Melee sets work better on melee characters than they do on blasters because they have some kind of armor (defense or resistance).

12 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

The ones that are on the character that I'm playing that day.

This tends to be base on if I'm playing with a friend, working on the origin project, trying to get a taskforce going, or just playing a random character that I haven't played for a while.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Honestly, I don't. It's purely tied to "what fits the character." (Or "what fits the project.")

i've done stuff in the past like flipping FOTM combos, or doing them on different ATs (for instance, I think it was energy/electric blasters at one point, so I built electric/energy.  Or if Fire/Kins were getting talked about, a fire armor/kinetic melee tank would be made.)

But in reality... yeah, if you see something on my account with high time on it, it's probably because it's a character I'm RPing a lot, not from being a favored powerset combo. Granted, I like my Khelds, and I find Sentinels fun once endurance usage gets sorted, but I still roll sets based on character.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Control - Electric or Plant.  Static field and Seeds of Confusion give good AoE control every fight.  Static field is not as good control but can be dropped from around a corner.   Ice slick would be better than static field but it makes clockwork and some others get knocked away so it is not useful in a lot of low level TFs.

Defense - Radiation.  Gets good early with no END problems and a self heal.

Support - Thermal or Dark.  Thermal is much better support.  At low levels it keeps a team alive on its own with the shields and the healing.   Dark has a cone fear every fight, so it gives a defender or corruptor control as well as support. 

21 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Sentinel blast sets get some unique changes in a few places, like Beam Rifle gaining an chain AOE attack (arguably "best" version of BR because of that) and Assault Rifle getting flipped upside down (gets aim, ignite is replaced by single-target incinerator). All of them have their usual mezz attacks like Tesla Cage turned into strong damage attacks (while still keeping the mezz). They all lose sniper attacks in the process though. 

Besides that, the different secondaries and AT modifiers might make a set have more synergy with one AT than another, i.e. debuffs from blast sets are stronger on Corr/Def than Blaster, so those sets may have better synergy on a support AT than a pure DPS. 

Same goes with armor sets. For example, Sentinel SR gains a passive 30% (enhanceable) recovery, toggle mezz protection (Master Brawler), and a clicky absorb shield (also Master Brawler). Sentinel Invuln is also bonkers because it gets passive +10 max endurance and passively refreshing absorb shield, both in one single auto power. Sents get the best variant of Regen hands down (still kinda meh but a lot more playable). 

So basically an AT/build is more than just the sum of its parts. There are synergies and individual differences (when applicable) that can complicate 1:1 comparisons. 

Edited by FupDup

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

To answer the OP's question, I don't really have much in the way of a specific power combo. 

In terms of AT's, I favor Sentinels over other AT's. Yeah they don't do the most DPS, nor can they tank the most damage, but they've got a good blend of everything in a single versatile package. I normally like "all rounder" characters like Soldier 76 in Overwatch, The Soldier in TF2, or medium/heavy mechs in Mechwarrior games. Sentinels are the COH equivalent of that. It boggles my mind how this game existed on live for so long without Sents because of just how gigantic of a hole this was in the AT roster. 

I am theorycrafting some Scrappers though so they might be a second runner up. I had a Huntsman VEAT I used to play a few years ago too but he's long retired. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

Ooh. Did forget one unique (as in, I don't believe it's available to another AT) pairing - Sentinel Dp/Nin/Nin. About the only way I know of to get both pistols and a sword. (Which just *fits* one character perfectly.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

4 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Do you feel compelled to use a particular buff/debuff powerset as a Defender, Corruptor, Controller, or Mastermind?

It's hard for me to answer this, because I have an aversion to support toons. No particular reason. I just like playing Melee ATs more.

I find myself liking Dual Pistols better on my Corruptor. I've tried Elec blast on a couple of ATs, but I like it on Defender the best. Other than that, I can't really comment much on ranged sets. Unga bunga melee brain and all that.

What about armor sets?

I think it goes without saying that RES-based armors are gonna be way stronger defensively on a Tanker vs a Scrapper or Brute. There's also caveats to that as well. Rad Armor and Bio Armor are great on Scrappers because of the hybrid protection (Absorb is just that good) and offense (proc nukes, -RES aura) they bring. But personally, I couldn't find myself making a Fiery Aura or Elec Armor Scrapper. Just a little too squishy. DEF-based armors really fit in anywhere. I have SR Scraps and Tanks that are very safe. Really, this could be an essay in itself, so I'll stop now.

Melee?

I'm pretty sure this has been debated pretty recently, but I can share my own experiences. After playing Staff Fighting on a Scrap and Tank, I will pick the Scrap every time. The Tank puts me to sleep. I like SS on a Tank more, but that's due to the safety of Tanks. Fire Melee feels better on Tanks because of the extra AoE. Ice Melee is just great on every AT.

I honestly can't give you a solid answer to this question, because I don't even know. The toons I make just end up satisfying an itch I didn't know I had until I start playing. I like my AR/TA Blaster because it goes dakka dakka dakka. I like my Rad/SS Tank because it goes boosh. I like my Ice/Stone Scrap because it has a funny name.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

13 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Ooh. Did forget one unique (as in, I don't believe it's available to another AT) pairing - Sentinel Dp/Nin/Nin. About the only way I know of to get both pistols and a sword. (Which just *fits* one character perfectly.)

Don't blasters have dual pistol primary and a martial arts secondary that let's them have a sword?

I saw a blaster with a sword, asked him how and he said martial arts.

Do you feel compelled to use a particular buff/debuff powerset as a Defender, Corruptor, Controller, or Mastermind? Do you find a blast powerset works better as a Sentinel, Blaster, or Corruptor? What about armor sets? Melee?

I do not feel compelled to use a particular buff/debuff and try to satisfy my altitis as much as possible. I use the @Troo method to create characters as well 🙂

I like DP/Nin on my blaster paired with Combat teleport; delicious.

I believe in Ice Armor for Tankers and Dual Blades for Melee

My Triform PB has kept it the longest. A whole year on it.

Edited by JasperStone
  • Like 1

/e poofgone

I am compelled to use one debuff set on every AT. Trick arrow, it is the bomb.

As I said in another thread. I am shocked I don't see more Trick Arrow players.

Fortunata

Elec/Ice blaster

Staff/Ice stalker

Fire/Ice dominator

Trick Arrow/Beam defender

Ninja/Trick Arrow Mastermind

Edited by KaizenSoze

1 hour ago, JasperStone said:

I use the @Troo method to create characters as well 🙂

this one?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I try not to repeat sets on different characters, but I have an Ice/Cold Corr and a Cold/Water Defender.  Cold is just such a well-rounded versatile set with a lovely spread of buffs, debuffs and control.  It has something to bring to the table at all levels.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I started on SS Invul Brutes.  Years there. When I found HC I hopped onto a SS Invul Brute.  

Then Dark Invul Brutes.

Finally started Blasting.  For serious work I have a Beam Temp, but my love is Dark.  Dark Dark feels awkward on a Blaster to me though

I tried building a Dark Dark Corr....like a Blaster.  It was a weaker Blaster

Now I am on a Dark Dark Corr and have learned how to use the powers.  Very powerful.  Will stay here until I have the badges.  All...the....badges....

I don't intentionally have preferred parings, meaning that I planned it.  But I have noticed that I do tend to swing a lot of Dual Pistols types.

DP/MC Blaster - Di Di Guns

DP/Atomic Blaster - Runeslinger

DP/Kin Corrupter - Boom Boom Britta

DP/Energy Aura Sentinel - Trinity Six

DP/Time Defender - Mender Oakley

DP/Ninja Blaster - Two Gun Trixie

Wait, don't Thugs use two handguns.  Oh my.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Stalkers, Corruptors, Brutes, Arachnos and now Tanks

Energy Melee (hard hitter & straight forward-ish)

Stone Melee (hard hitter & gimmick free)

Dark Miasma (fear, slow and -tohit are epic, big slow heal)

Kinetics (I can be a team player)

Ice Blast (Ice Storm & Blizzard fun plus it's quick)

Fire Blast (fun snipe animation)

Radiation Blast (fun snipe animation & Cosmic Burst's stun)

Electric Armor (always seems like it should be amazing.. never quite gets where I want it)

Fiery Aura (Burn plus damage aura & heal)

Radiation Armor (pbaoe & heal)

Regeneration (most fun melee secondary)

Things I avoid

• Redraws (I'd like Arachnos more if not for this)
  • Gimmick mechanics
  • Convoluted combos

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

9 hours ago, FupDup said:

Sentinel blast sets get some unique changes in a few places, like Beam Rifle gaining an chain AOE attack (arguably "best" version of BR because of that) and Assault Rifle getting flipped upside down (gets aim, ignite is replaced by single-target incinerator). All of them have their usual mezz attacks like Tesla Cage turned into strong damage attacks (while still keeping the mezz). They all lose sniper attacks in the process though. 

Besides that, the different secondaries and AT modifiers might make a set have more synergy with one AT than another, i.e. debuffs from blast sets are stronger on Corr/Def than Blaster, so those sets may have better synergy on a support AT than a pure DPS. 

Same goes with armor sets. For example, Sentinel SR gains a passive 30% (enhanceable) recovery, toggle mezz protection (Master Brawler), and a clicky absorb shield (also Master Brawler). Sentinel Invuln is also bonkers because it gets passive +10 max endurance and passively refreshing absorb shield, both in one single auto power. Sents get the best variant of Regen hands down (still kinda meh but a lot more playable). 

So basically an AT/build is more than just the sum of its parts. There are synergies and individual differences (when applicable) that can complicate 1:1 comparisons. 

10 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Are you saying that you feel a Sentinel "blast power set" works better "blast powerset" than a blaster?

That was the question.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Ever since Live I have loved Earth Control as a Primary power.  I have made pretty much all combinations possible.  Not all have been personal favourites, but most have offered different playstyles to keep them around.  My favourite combos are /Storm, /TA, /Poison and /Nature.  Each one offers a difference in Damage (Storm), Support (Nature), Pure Debuff (Poison) and Control (TA).

When I make other Controllers I do tend to use those Secondaries as well.  

When I play MM's (my other go to AT), I am partial to /Traps, /Dark and /Nature and /EA to help support my pets and keep them alive either through either mitigating damage through heals or making sure my enemy is too weak to do anything.

But I mostly create combos (although I don't duplicate) that match whatever concept I have in my brain at the moment.

My "mains" are 

MM's 

Demon/EA, Thugs/Traps, Mercs/Nature, Ninja/Storm, Demon/Dark

Controllers

Earth/Storm, Earth/TA, Fire/Poison, Ill/Storm, Earth/Nature

16 hours ago, Greycat said:

Blaster DP/Ninja

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 2/8/2023 at 12:38 PM, UltraAlt said:

On 2/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, SeraphimKensai said:

I was attempting to stir the conversation so that people could discuss if there is a blast set that they prefer on one AT over another.

For example I typically prefer Sonic Blast on a defender over a blaster to make better use of the defender debuff values over the blaster's increased damage.

16 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I was attempting to stir the conversation so that people could discuss if there is a blast set that they prefer on one AT over another.

For example I typically prefer Sonic Blast on a defender over a blaster to make better use of the defender debuff values over the blaster's increased damage.

I don't stick to one AT or power set(s).

I pick the archetype and powerset(s) that its my character conception of that character.

Or I pick an archetype and powerset(s) and create a character around the powers available in the set.

So, basically, I have no prefered pairings.

19 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

I am compelled to use one debuff set on every AT. Trick arrow, it is the bomb.

As I said in another thread. I am shocked I don't see more Trick Arrow players.

Totally agree with this. I try to avoid duplicating / re-using sets but I had so much fun with Grav/Trick arrow on live I remade them here. Then they got buffed which made it even better.

So I ended up making a Trick Arrow/Elec sapping defender. The weird thing is they play differently. Grav/TA is "I'm staying hovering up here, ye go here and now you're all neutered"

Trick Arrow/Elec is more "waaaaargh, I'm following the tank into the melee scrum. Point blank arrow to face. Crackle zap".

I think it's the TA animations are so quick. Just feels "buttery" to use them. Other debuff sets take aaaaages to do things (waves at Dark). TA is just debuff-debuff-debuffAndNowYoureAllOnFire. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Dual Pistols on a corruptor. Dunno why.

Elec on a Defender because better sappage. 

Also Rad Blast on a blaster is the only time I've got it working well. Tried Defender and Corruptor but on a blaster the increased damage really seems to suit it and brings it above some mysterious threshold for me.

I'm a theory crafting min-maxer at heart, but I try to avoid making the FOTM toons you see around the forums. That said I have enough toons that eventually people catch on and it is used more often.

I prefer resistance based armor sets on tankers or brutes as opposed to scrappers/stalkers as others have pointed out the reasoning due to the way resistance caps work.

Otherwise I mained a warlock in WoW for years, and used to love flying fast tackles, interdictors, and ECM boats in EVE, so it's natural that I love debuffs (as long as I'm putting them on my enemies and not the other way around). Due to that Defenders/Corruptors are probably my second/third favorite AT in the game, and it varies as I love sets that use rains  and kins more as Corruptors than defenders.

My favorite AT is surprisingly Warshades, but I really like the complexity of the AT, the lore, and it's shape shifting functionality. It's the AT I missed most before I found my way to playing CoH again. That said it's not without it's flaws but I'll keep those to the suggestions/feedback threads.

Particular combos I've really enjoyed (in no particular order):

• DA/SS Tanker
  • Fire/EM Blaster (I miss the old days when these were the kings of PvP)
  • Ice/DM Corruptor
  • Elec/Ninja Blaster
  • Warshades
  • Widows (I run three builds and hotswap during missions, I did say I like complexity)
  • Poison/Rad Defender
  • Fire/Poison Corruptor
  • My old Spines/Regen Scrapper (sorry for getting IH nerfed btw)
  • Stone/Rad Tankers (man I love the update to Stone Armor)
  • Stone/Stone Stalker
  • Elec/Psi Domi
  • DM/Elec Defender
  • Plants/TA Controller
  • TA/DP Defender
  • Storm Anything (it's such a great set. Back on live around i13 I used to love using an Earth/Storm Controller in 1v1 arena matches)
  • Ill/Savage Domi

These are just a few that have kept me entertained quite a bit.

Edited by SeraphimKensai