My new character "routine" on entering the game

DougGraves

Select "None" for helper tag.

Go to P2W and get the free attacks and movement powers (I buy the teleports later if I am going to keep the character)

Go to Miss Liberty.  Arrange powers.  Pausing to customize my look for each costume slot the pre-designed costumes I have ready.

Run into the town hall.  Grab the two badges and talk to each of the contacts so they are added as contacts.  I don't do their missions - but I can talk to them later and get contacts at my level when I want to run contact missions.

Run around Atlas and get all of the badges for long range teleport

Grab the first Oro portal I see whenever that happens to get the badge.

Go into my emails and copy the base macro, use that to get a base macro for the character

Go into my emails and copy the emote macro, use that to make an appropriate emote macro for the character

Ready to go

• Like 3

I always go to my solo SG base, then realize I'm not a member of my solo SG yet.  Then switch toons so that I can /altinvite, then I forget why I switched toons and get distracted by something I want to do on that toon.   Then next time I log into the game I get on my new toon and realize I'm still not in my solo SG, and log onto another toon and hopefully remember to /altinvite this time.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

For me, it's more about arranging all the power trays, setting up the various attributes I want to monitor, getting the P2W stuff, and testing out the first few powers in AE.  I have a "default_binds" file I typically load, but beyond that, it's nearly just "pick up and go".  I probably spends more time in the character editor/tailor than the initial play setup, TBH...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

I always go to my solo SG base, then realize I'm not a member of my solo SG yet.  Then switch toons so that I can /altinvite, then I forget why I switched toons and get distracted by something I want to do on that toon.   Then next time I log into the game I get on my new toon and realize I'm still not in my solo SG, and log onto another toon and hopefully remember to /altinvite this time.

I have a solo SG but I long ago stopped inviting new characters to is, so my SG is basically dead.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

For me, it's more about arranging all the power trays, setting up the various attributes I want to monitor, getting the P2W stuff, and testing out the first few powers in AE.  I have a "default_binds" file I typically load, but beyond that, it's nearly just "pick up and go".  I probably spends more time in the character editor/tailor than the initial play setup, TBH...

And your costumes are awesome.

(I frequent the Best Costume Thread)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Select "None" for helper tag.

Go to P2W and get the free attacks and movement powers

I add a step in between these.

I manually type the long string command that loads my main keybind file.  Then I hit the single button to customize my chat window.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

6 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I add a step in between these.

I manually type the long string command that loads my main keybind file.  Then I hit the single button to customize my chat window.

I just have my chat windows saved as a file. Though I can't remember the command off the top of my head.

It's something like /loadchatfile <name>, or /chatloadfile <name>

So I just do /chatloadfile chat and all my windows are neatly arranged and set up.

Make the toon, load in, immediately log out because I just had an idea for a neat look and don't actually want to play it yet.

Days pass...

Log into that toon, admire the neat look, adjust trays. Go to P2W. Buy slew of powers/enhancements/amps. Crank up the diff to x8. Spend an hour tweaking costume because I had an idea, subsequently wasting my amps. Finally get done, load in first mish, die immediately.

Woo!

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

11 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

This is exactly why I keep my passcode in my email

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

well, before I log into the game I open up my CoH notepad file.

When I first zone in with a new character, I have newer mode I'm doing  now.

I select none for the helper as well. People help when I ask on the /help channel, and, when people ask for help on the /help channel,  I try to help.

I open up the three stack tray, flip all the trays to the number I use in that spot.

I load up my macros from the CoH notepad for; Heal insp, flip to tray 1, flip to tray 2, follow, gratz, thanks, woot, noparticles 1, noparticles 0, ah, and one passcode for one of my bases on that server

I slot them all into their tray positions

I get rid of the inherent sprint and prestige run.  

I run away from Atlas (holding the globe) and run over and into the Vanguard base to get the badge near the experimentation room.

I head back to the P2W vendor

I grab my new character consignment of loot from email.

I get one of each of the P2W enhances. I put the smashing one in the farthest right slot of tray 7.

I unlock team enhances.

I get a P2W run and fly power.

I usually get one of the P2W free attack powers.

I get one or more of the mutation?, inner will?, or mystic fortune powers.

I get all the P2W travel powers.

I fill up on 8 hours of x2 XP booster.

Usually get as many charges as I can of the prismatic taser and/or hand grenades.

I slot all of this and the inherent throwing weapon.

I head into City Hall. Get the two badges.

I come out of City hall and use the P2W flight power to get the badge on top of the globe and then the one on City Hall.

I fly down and get the badge in front of the contact near the base portal. 

I fly toward the badge over the antennae on the building near the war wall, but stop on at the Icon on the way to make some costumes, setup the stance SFX, maybe size change a costume slot or two, and set up my costume change macros. Then off to that badge I was on my way to.

Then fly down the street to the last badge for the Atlas Tour Guide - unlocking the zone teleporter/fast travel.

Fly over to the Pocket D van and head in for a visit to Null the Gull and grab the badge in there.

Then I use my base password macro to go into the base portal and head back to Atlas.

- minus the time at the Icon, this takes less than 10 minutes - 

Look for a DFB being recruited for, start recruiting for a DFB if there are enough characters on in the level range, run the lake and fight stuff for some levels, and/or, generally, do some stuff to get some levels to at least level 3.

Head back to the base to use the contacts inside to level up and buy SO's for slotting.

End up heading back to park at the base portal (I always try to get that Day Job first).

Put some loot into the Market.

Log.

Flip alts, /altinvite the new character, and rank them up in the sg.

When I come back to the character, which may not be right away or I may do this before logging off the first time.

I go grab the badge on the helipad in Kings Row, go to the north end of steel and run down the street to get the badge under the statue, head to Talos and get the badge on the hill just off of the tram, and go to Peregrine to get the badge inside of the Portal Corps Building.

So at this point, I can use the fast travel power to get to atlas, kings row, steel canyon, Talos, Peregrine Island, the Pocket D and my base. But I also have the P2W travel powers to get to my base, and they recharge faster; so I usually use them to get to my base - which has teleporters to all the zones ... which is why I don't alway bother to go run around and get the badges in the various zones immediately.

Who knows how long it will be until I log in the character again; later the same day, tomorrow, next time I see people in the level range playing or recruiting for something, when I get the urge to play that character gain regardless, or when I haven't logged them in for like 30 or 40 days ... none can say. I know I can't because all these things apply across all my characters.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

my load out

• P2W Enhancements, Powers
  • Set up trays
  • Hunt to pop level one, get all the atlas badges for reward merit
  • cash in the 5 merits, buy a full round of amplifiers
  • customize costume slots if I want that
  • train, do 4 DFBs get those bonuses (optional)
  • slot the p2w knockdown and two others into whichever aoe/cone I get first. 
  • join my SG and get base amplifiers (optional)
  • get xp boosters
  • ouro -> echo zones (reward merits again)

48 minutes ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

I've learned that if you take the elevator in DATA and go threw the portal to Recluse's Victory you get the Ouro badge and power without begging.

What?

I typically go there to log off to get the predator badge with new characters.  I didn't know it gave you the Oro badge.

4 hours ago, DougGraves said:

What?

I typically go there to log off to get the predator badge with new characters.  I didn't know it gave you the Oro badge.

Anything that "exposes you to time travel" will give you the badge.

When ouro was first introduced, if I had mid to higher level characters that didn't have it, I did the science store mission in Brickstown, as he's a time traveler. The Faultline missions will do it as well, as I recall, plus a couple of others.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

well, before I log into the game I open up my CoH notepad file.

When I first zone in with a new character, I have newer mode I'm doing  now.

I select none for the helper as well. People help when I ask on the /help channel, and, when people ask for help on the /help channel,  I try to help.

I open up the three stack tray, flip all the trays to the number I use in that spot.

I load up my macros from the CoH notepad for; Heal insp, flip to tray 1, flip to tray 2, follow, gratz, thanks, woot, noparticles 1, noparticles 0, ah, and one passcode for one of my bases on that server

I slot them all into their tray positions

I get rid of the inherent sprint and prestige run.  

I run away from Atlas (holding the globe) and run over and into the Vanguard base to get the badge near the experimentation room.

I head back to the P2W vendor

I grab my new character consignment of loot from email.

I get one of each of the P2W enhances. I put the smashing one in the farthest right slot of tray 7.

I unlock team enhances.

I get a P2W run and fly power.

I usually get one of the P2W free attack powers.

I get one or more of the mutation?, inner will?, or mystic fortune powers.

I get all the P2W travel powers.

I fill up on 8 hours of x2 XP booster.

Usually get as many charges as I can of the prismatic taser and/or hand grenades.

I slot all of this and the inherent throwing weapon.

I head into City Hall. Get the two badges.

I come out of City hall and use the P2W flight power to get the badge on top of the globe and then the one on City Hall.

I fly down and get the badge in front of the contact near the base portal. 

I fly toward the badge over the antennae on the building near the war wall, but stop on at the Icon on the way to make some costumes, setup the stance SFX, maybe size change a costume slot or two, and set up my costume change macros. Then off to that badge I was on my way to.

Then fly down the street to the last badge for the Atlas Tour Guide - unlocking the zone teleporter/fast travel.

Fly over to the Pocket D van and head in for a visit to Null the Gull and grab the badge in there.

Then I use my base password macro to go into the base portal and head back to Atlas.

- minus the time at the Icon, this takes less than 10 minutes - 

Look for a DFB being recruited for, start recruiting for a DFB if there are enough characters on in the level range, run the lake and fight stuff for some levels, and/or, generally, do some stuff to get some levels to at least level 3.

Head back to the base to use the contacts inside to level up and buy SO's for slotting.

End up heading back to park at the base portal (I always try to get that Day Job first).

Put some loot into the Market.

Log.

Flip alts, /altinvite the new character, and rank them up in the sg.

When I come back to the character, which may not be right away or I may do this before logging off the first time.

I go grab the badge on the helipad in Kings Row, go to the north end of steel and run down the street to get the badge under the statue, head to Talos and get the badge on the hill just off of the tram, and go to Peregrine to get the badge inside of the Portal Corps Building.

So at this point, I can use the fast travel power to get to atlas, kings row, steel canyon, Talos, Peregrine Island, the Pocket D and my base. But I also have the P2W travel powers to get to my base, and they recharge faster; so I usually use them to get to my base - which has teleporters to all the zones ... which is why I don't alway bother to go run around and get the badges in the various zones immediately.

Who knows how long it will be until I log in the character again; later the same day, tomorrow, next time I see people in the level range playing or recruiting for something, when I get the urge to play that character gain regardless, or when I haven't logged them in for like 30 or 40 days ... none can say. I know I can't because all these things apply across all my characters.

I have no words

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

8 hours ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

I've learned that if you take the elevator in DATA and go threw the portal to Recluse's Victory you get the Ouro badge and power without begging.

Yea, that's faster than going to Night Ward, Midnight to Cimerora which also gets the Ouro badge

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

When ouro was first introduced, if I had mid to higher level characters that didn't have it, I did the science store mission in Brickstown, as he's a time traveler. The Faultline missions will do it as well, as I recall, plus a couple of others.

A full list:  https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Entrusted_with_the_Secret_Badge

When I want a particular hero to have to "earn" the portal [for headcanon reasons], I'll usually do Mercedes Sheldon's arc.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

22 hours ago, WumpusRat said:

I just have my chat windows saved as a file. Though I can't remember the command off the top of my head.

So I just do /chatloadfile chat and all my windows are neatly arranged and set up.

Exactly.  But I don't have to remember the command because it's in my file of keybinds so it takes just a single keystroke.  🙂

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

We have a very similar routine!

I sometimes have the added step of sending a little character-personalized care package to myself from whatever relevant character I use to invite to one of my sgs. Yes it's a little silly to roleplay with myself and I'm going to go blind, but I can't help it. I grew up with dolls.

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:54 AM, WumpusRat said:

/wdwsave

/wdwload

/bindsave

/bindload

/chatsave

/chatload

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

11 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I have no words

It's in the Alting.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.