Will we EVER see Wind Control ?

Heatstroke

13 hours ago, OmegaOne said:

The main reason I would like to see Wind Control is that it would be a new Control set. Controllers and Dominators could use a little love. 

Yep, Wind, Water, Time and Chaos, those are my top 4 Controller dream sets I'd like to see.  Three of them seem self-explanatory but Chaos is my dream.  Work with me here.

The powers are random.  Yes they do follow the basic pattern; ST immob, ST Hold, AoE immob, etc. (with variance).  But the trick is the effect is random.  Fire the hold once and its ice, fire it again and its dark.  You can still depend on it to the degree where it will hold or immob.   BUT, every once and a while true chaos occurs.  maybe it doesn't hold but just immobs or maybe it clears a lock, or heals them.  Nothing crazy to where its play/team breaking but the aspect of variance would make the set very unique.   I have a ton of other things that I have thought about with this but you get the point, let your imagination run wild.

And that cats and kittens, that ability so stop and "imagine if" powers or stories, that is why I love this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

1 hour ago, High_Beam said:

Yep, Wind, Water, Time and Chaos, those are my top 4 Controller dream sets I'd like to see.  Three of them seem self-explanatory but Chaos is my dream.  Work with me here.

The powers are random.  Yes they do follow the basic pattern; ST immob, ST Hold, AoE immob, etc. (with variance).  But the trick is the effect is random.  Fire the hold once and its ice, fire it again and its dark.  You can still depend on it to the degree where it will hold or immob.   BUT, every once and a while true chaos occurs.  maybe it doesn't hold but just immobs or maybe it clears a lock, or heals them.  Nothing crazy to where its play/team breaking but the aspect of variance would make the set very unique.   I have a ton of other things that I have thought about with this but you get the point, let your imagination run wild.

And that cats and kittens, that ability so stop and "imagine if" powers or stories, that is why I love this game.

Chaos Control?  Let's catch the wind first before we start talking about impossibilities.

I have a disco themed toon, Earth Wind and Fire (I only player her in September, obviously) but as a Fantasy character, she does pretty well.

She is an Earth/Storm/Fire controller. and she can certainly Boogie Wonderland but Wind Control would be an entirely different conformation - probably something like Wind/Thermal/Stone and that doesn't move me. So After the Love Has Gone I'll just have to see if I can dual box to see which Let's Groove the best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Why do I suddenly want to have @Scarlet Shocker's babies. 

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Also Gratuitous Scorpions wind-based song

Though I prefer Still Loving You . . . masterpiece

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:02 AM, TheZag said:

Homecoming doesnt do things because another server did them.  HC also doesnt not do things because of other servers.

I think you overestimated what I was saying there. 

I had an idea for a Christmas Carol-based villain MA arc, but turns out someone else already did one, a good one in fact.  Now, I could just go ahead and do it anyways, make it my own way, but now... the feel is just "wrong" to my sensibilities.  It's not that I simply CAN'T or anything, I just feel like a I want some new-fallen snow to leave my own tracks in.  Think of it as an artistic choice.  I could do a Carol as well anyway, or, I could just devote myself to some other wacky idea anyways that no one else has really addressed yet (like Symphony Control ha ha).  I'm more drawn to that path.  (And I would bet there's something in the back of dev minds about staying original instead of introducing an also-ran into the game knowing it would become a tool ion the "my server is better than yours" idiocy.)

People can decide to not do something for all sorts of reasons, but there's no hard and fast law, no.  Ultimately we won't know till the devs speak up.  Maybe they just wanna avoid too many fart jokes ha ha.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 8/5/2023 at 4:57 PM, BurtHutt said:

Why? It'll essentially be a re-work of existing powers. I am not so concerned about those power sets. If there's some new wrinkle and so on then great, bring it on.

You can see where was planned and what was pulled from the files that are already in the game. And this was planned in 2012 IIRC

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Wind_Control

has anyone tried it on the other servers? i stopped when i saw tankers with shotguns, and a melee set that had all ghost knives and stuff.

i mean, it was alright, a bit synthwave, and i clipped everywhere (the quality in general is NOT what we enjoy on HC)....

but ya, wind control, its there.

we'll probably get something of it one day...

i just wish storm cat 5 worked more like carrion creepers, movement wise.

i used to thing you had to create paths for creepers with vines, aoe immob, and spirit tree. back on live.

storm seems to have windy kinds of animations, and the best sniper anim ever.

one day, we'll get something like wind...

14 minutes ago, Sykar said:

Yeah, I am having a blast, pun indented, with a wind control dominator on TS atm. Also made a MC controller because TS gave much needed buffs to MC and they make MC a lot more fun.

Though honestly, I think they kind of broke controllers and dominators. Giving them their pets at 1st level makes the 1-30 game insanely trivial, especially since they added 2-3 attacks to all the pets. 

I made a water/traps troller, and by the time I'd hit 6th level I had the difficulty at +1/8 because anything less wasn't a challenge.

A lot of the changes they made seem to be geared towards making people VASTLY more powerful, with no downside. 

Most buffs are easily made perma or are perma straight out of the box.

Almost every buff now affects the caster as well (some with reduced effect however).

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Buff affecting the caster makes sense. Why would I not be able to buff myself? CoH is literally the only game where I have seen buffs giving me diddly squat. This is aggravating on FF controller for example because in early levels you get your two team buffs already and Personal Force Field and they do nothing for you outside of PFF which is mostly useful for traveling. It really is nothing but an outdated antiquated notion. Furthermore you still only get half the buff effect so the general idea is still retained. I always hated the idea that I need to be grouped at all times if I choose a specific class basically. It is part of the reason why WoW was so much more successful than its predecessors.

You know what this buff not affecting the caster reminds me off? This pathetic waste of space from the utterly terrible New Warriors comic:

http://newwarriors.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/safespace.png

I approve of the pet at level 1. The first 10 levels are easy either way, so I do not care if they get easier. Past 10 it starts to normalize again and at 20 it is a little easier in that you are not levelling at a snails space on lower damage control sets, which basically all but Fire, Grav and Plant, but you cannot be asleep either even on standard difficulty.

Not sure what you mean with damage increase for pets. Gravity and Wind are both low damage pets that mostly offer extra CC and an extra body enemies can attack. MC has no pet so the point is moot. Illusion Phantasm is not exactly a damage monster either.

Furthermore pool power attacks are now on par with AT attack powers giving a lot more variety and viable builds. They even removed the recharge from Brawl and people have been making Brawl builds that are not just laughing stocks. Defenders now have access to some melee sets so if you want to you can make a melee defender. Or use a ranged set and supplement it with Fighting, which now also has an option for melee weapons, and make a blapping defender.

All in all, I prefer the way TS has handled things, you can argue that the numbers should be lowered or scaling be changed but other than that? Better compared to HC in some ways for me especially that you do not need those idiotic prerequisites for pool powers and epic pools which never made any sense whatsoever since AT powers also had no prerequisite powers only level requirement which are still in place. Let us not get into difficulty when HC hands out IOs like candy late game and trivializes most content at 50.

Edited by Sykar
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, Heatstroke said:

You can see where was planned and what was pulled from the files that are already in the game. And this was planned in 2012 IIRC

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Wind_Control

Ok I never went and looked this up. It doesn't seem like a total rehash. I don't know why they don't add it if it's basically already in the code. Seems like an easy add. I think there are also some pool powers (utility belt being one?) that are in there somewhere as well? Why not put them in. I'm not too worried about it either way.

5 hours ago, Sykar said:

Buff affecting the caster makes sense. Why would I not be able to buff myself? CoH is literally the only game where I have seen buffs giving me diddly squat. This is aggravating on FF controller for example because in early levels you get your two team buffs already and Personal Force Field and they do nothing for you outside of PFF which is mostly useful for traveling. It really is nothing but an outdated antiquated notion. Furthermore you still only get half the buff effect so the general idea is still retained. I always hated the idea that I need to be grouped at all times if I choose a specific class basically. It is part of the reason why WoW was so much more successful than 

You know what this buff not affecting the caster reminds me off? This pathetic waste of space from the utterly terrible New Warriors comic:

http://newwarriors.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/safespace.png

I approve of the pet at level 1. The first 10 levels are easy either way, so I do not care if they get easier. Past 10 it starts to normalize again and at 20 it is a little easier in that you are not levelling at a snails space on lower damage control sets, which basically all but Fire, Grav and Plant, but you cannot be asleep either even on standard difficulty.

Not sure what you mean with damage increase for pets. Gravity and Wind are both low damage pets that mostly offer extra CC and an extra body enemies can attack. MC has no pet so the point is moot. Illusion Phantasm is not exactly a damage monster either.

Furthermore pool power attacks are now on par with AT attack powers giving a lot more variety and viable builds. They even removed the recharge from Brawl and people have been making Brawl builds that are not just laughing stocks. Defenders now have access to some melee sets so if you want to you can make a melee defender. Or use a ranged set and supplement it with Fighting, which now also has an option for melee weapons, and make a blapping defender.

All in all, I prefer the way TS has handled things, you can argue that the numbers should be lowered or scaling be changed but other than that? Better compared to HC in some ways for me especially that you do not need those idiotic prerequisites for pool powers and epic pools which never made any sense whatsoever since AT powers also had no prerequisite powers only level requirement which are still in place. Let us not get into difficulty when HC hands out IOs like candy late game and trivializes most content at 50.

you make some very good points, imo.

esp:

1/ pools being decent attacks - why not? we end up on homecoming with entirely excluded pools. from force of will, to medicine, theyre typically a waste - or your twisting for a long cd survival buff, and might well be better served with one of: flight, fighting, stealth, speed, combat jumping, sorcery if you want a flight alone...

at any rate, we end up with ~6 power pools worth explore, and some have filler.

2/ removal of prereq for tough/ weave.  should not have to kick/punch to be able to tough/weave 

3/ pets early. solo lvling controller is miserable. a meandering of low damage. this helps.

I'd agree with it all, except ally buffs affecting self.

it keeps the player  attentive and 1 shottable.  a ff/dark defender might well be effectively immune were this not true.

--->constructively for HC<---

however, if one change could occur with HC - itd be blind queuing with the lfg tool.

creation of groups, is still, a barrier not of knowledge, but simply and true: 'ill play with your character - but havent the slightest desire to converse with my keyboard. its not you, its the medium, just dont want type, not being paid to'. 

its a pain to type 'welcome, team. pls maintain patience as i seek other group members. eta for grp fill is n minutes. we will be difficulty +n/n. pls proceed to zone n. note: elected activity with consume n minutes. you should expect to devote n minutes of your time to this activity.'

better lfg tooling use, make it bcast to lfg channel (group seek in progress for...) or whatnot.

Edited by honoroit

17 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

Ok I never went and looked this up. It doesn't seem like a total rehash. I don't know why they don't add it if it's basically already in the code. Seems like an easy add. I think there are also some pool powers (utility belt being one?) that are in there somewhere as well? Why not put them in. I'm not too worried about it either way.

Animation might be the hang up. But Controllers and especially Dominators need more set options.