The powerset you'd love, but you know will never be implemented

SteelRat70

both are already in game, but i doubt the devs will ever give it to me  claws/shield defense scrapper!

and a totally new powerset, elemental summoning mastermind.. think a magician from EverQuest, earth, air, fire, and water pets & attacks.  I could see it going something like earth pet being the solo high lvl pet, maybe 2 water pets for the support tier using bubbles to protect their allies (could go lazy and just rename the FF bubbles robots get to be more themed, or do something new and unique , don't matter to me), and a mix of fire/air for the 1st lvl damaging tier.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I'm still waiting for the totally viable and completely available to retool Whip Melee.

I can I get a power customization of that for nunchaku? 

A pair would be great, but I could settle for one-handed.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 3/22/2023 at 1:47 PM, Rymer said:

The thing I feel the super hero genre of mmos failed on was having the trinity role system

City of Heroes started with Tanks, Scrappers, Blasters, Controllers, and Defenders.

I know that some try to lump those into the Tank, healer, and DPS categories, but that is them impressing their views on the system to make it relatable.

Of course, many games are going to "tread the ground most travelled" because that is the easy path to take.

Some people expect the "holy trinity of gaming" so at is where their brain set is, so to make a game easily accessible you use what player are used to finding in a game.

Adding other elements can be the tricky part for game balance.

Rock, paper, scissors is always going to be a standard. 

The tank distracts and soaks damage to protect the healer and the DPS. The DPS defeats things because the tank and defender don't have enough damage to do so. The healer heals both the tank and the DPS so they can do their jobs.

That isn't set to occur in City of Heroes.

Some players do impose that upon the game.

These days, there seem to be a larger number of players playing solo. There is no "holy trinity of gaming" when soloing, but I will yield to the fact that some are multi-boxing when they are "soloing".

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 3 weeks later
On 3/27/2023 at 4:56 PM, Greldek said:

and a totally new powerset, elemental summoning mastermind.. think a magician from EverQuest, earth, air, fire, and water pets & attacks.  I could see it going something like earth pet being the solo high lvl pet, maybe 2 water pets for the support tier using bubbles to protect their allies (could go lazy and just rename the FF bubbles robots get to be more themed, or do something new and unique , don't matter to me), and a mix of fire/air for the 1st lvl damaging tier.

Are we sure this will never be done? I was going to post a suggestion for two elemental sets: MM Primary and a Buff/Debuff. 

Coloden.png

Tiny pets.  Just little swarms of cats, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, beavers...  Those little pandas on our shoulders and the kittens...

The whole idea is that they swarm enemies and inflict severe slows.

Equip and Mastery powers, the ones that buff the summons up into new versions of themselves and give them new attacks and abilities, would just add more animals to their swarms.  So, the first summon would have three little fuzzballs, the enhanced version would be five fuzzballs and the mastered version would be seven.  Their attacks would look like the little animals leaping up and attacking your foes, one at a time.

The whole idea would be to attack with cuteness.  😛

Snuffles Group.gif

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.

I'd like an insect MM set.

T1

2 Giant Ants

Bite attack

1 Giant Fire Ant

Bite attack w/ Toxic damage as well

T2

Giant Bombardier Beetle

Bite attack

Explosion attack

Giant Stink Bug

Bite attack

Rikti Monkey (or other) Gas attack

T3

Seven foot tall Preying Mantis.

Fearsome Stare

2x Impale attacks

Bite attack

Why?  Because spiders are over done.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Col. Kernel said:

I'd like an insect MM set.

T1

2 Giant Ants

Bite attack

1 Giant Fire Ant

Bite attack w/ Toxic damage as well

T2

Giant Bombardier Beetle

Bite attack

Explosion attack

Giant Stink Bug

Bite attack

Rikti Monkey (or other) Gas attack

T3

Seven foot tall Preying Mantis.

Fearsome Stare

2x Impale attacks

Bite attack

Why?  Because spiders are over done.

late to the party old son

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I know this has been suggested and detailed before but I'll say it again: power armor.

Most sets in game are just re-working old stuff. This can work for some of power armour as well. 

For Power Armor, I'd like to see the same type of look/style/animation that you see in game already which may mean less Dev work. So, the missile attack can be taken from the Kronos Titan and Praetorians that use it - you know, the wild, strafing missiles that fire out from some type of housing/shoulder casing etc. There could be other launch position options (chest, gauntlets and so on).

I'd also like to see mini guns - something that may pop up on the shoulder and just fire large bursts. These could also be hand held (maybe pick an option at character creator screen etc).

There are lots of other powers in game that can be re-worked and made into this set.

I don't know if there's much appetite for this but I think the visuals alone would be a draw. We do have a ton of powers that're a bit of a re-hash of older stuff. This might be a bit different as we don't have some of this stuff on player characters - just NPCs.

Web control. (Blame Coldplay for the "Spider-Man with his control" lyric)

Have two animations for either organic (think pointy/controlly animations) or gadget (like web grenades or a web blasting gun).

Everything but the tier 9 would be standard control type powers with holds, maybe toxic damage and things like webs on the floor as well as eebson people. I'm just not 100% on what the tier 9 would be unless a big ole spider (either organic or mechanical).

Dominators could get some ranged web attacks that do toxic damage as well as some melee attacks like webbed up fists for smashing damage. 

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

• 2 months later

Thrown weapons.

Stones,

Knives,

Bombs,

Grenades,

Molotov Cocktails,

Sticks of Dynamite,

etc.

This is the Mastermind->Thugs->Call Thugs->Arsonist (Upgrade 2)

image.thumb.png.1c5fdee26f90fd1dcc916619024903e8.png

Look at those cool bags brimming with sticks of dynamite!

Edited by Herotu
typo

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

geomancy blast (mixed dmg types) - it would be difficult to change skills based on the terrain, if in air, etc. basically geomancer from ff tactics.

wind control, one day

assassin dual weapons - like dual weapons - claws/dagger skins, stalker only primary. a hop/combat tp like the blaster martial set.

Storm Armor for tanks, scrappers, and brutes.

Start with basic all around auto resistance like High Pain Tolerance from Willpower, borrow and tweak several powers from Storm Summoning, and then fill in the gaps.

1. High Pain Tolerance  (Willpower)

2. Steamy Mist  (Storm Summoning, but maybe add in some resistance to physical damage to bring the set on par with others' basic protection)

3. O2 Drain  (Storm Summoning, like O2 Boost but is a self-heal that also damages those in close proximity via partial suffocation as you pull the air from their lungs)

4. Stormy Disposition - mez protection, maybe some psi Defense to make up for lack of damage mitigation overall

5. Downdraft  (Storm Summoning, like Hurricane but with knockdown instead of knockback... and no repel)

6. Blizzard  (Storm Summoning, like Snowstorm but centered on user but also inflicts a -ToHit penalty on those affected and grants added resistance to cold and fire)

7. ???

8. Thunderclap  (Storm Summoning)

9. Thunderstorm (Storm Summoning, like Lightning Storm but instead of summoning an immobile pet you transform into the storm cloud and gain phasing for 30 seconds. It's an oh shit button that protects you from damage briefly but lets you still deal damage to random targets by shooting lightning bolts at whatever's close) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Chemical Assault (Dominators)

Celestial Blast (Blasters, Defenders, Corruptors, Sentinels):  powers strike (mostly) from the sky; the idea comes from the ranged powers of druids in World of Warcraft.  Have secondary effects dependent on the night/day cycle in the game, and on the surroundings (outdoor, cave, building)

I haven't actually run the numbers on this next one, so this is a starting point for a discussion.

Celestial Armor (Tanks, Brutes, Scrappers, Stalkers, Sentinels):  armor has selectable mixed secondary effect modes. All mode changes have a 30 second cooldown (once you pick one, you are stuck with it for 30 seconds).  

• celestial (default, no buffs, no debuffs)
  • solar (extra DoT, no knock or immob protection even with IO procs)
  • lunar (huge buff to resistance; -7.5% DEF ALL; -10% ACC; tanks and brutes get -1 threat level, others get +1 threat level)
  • stellar (attacking mobs who hit you have regen debuffed 500%, debuffs your own recovery 50%, cannot benefit from +END IO procs),
  • gravitic (+25 status protection ALL, -50% damage, all click-taunts disabled, -20% move speed (but no attack rate debuff).  
  • magnetic (doubles taunt ability (time and number of targets); immune to hold and confuse; +10% DEF; gives brutes Gauntlet (along with Fury), gives tanks Fury (along with Gauntlet), gives others +20% ACC and -1 threat level; immobile (can move via teleport); -15% attack rate; disables all recharge speed IO procs on player)
  • nebular:  every mob who hits has a 20% chance of +4 confuse for 30 (yes, 30) seconds; -5% To-Hit on players; -10% To-Hit on mobs; player has 5% chance of being hit for triple damage; mobs hitting the player have a 2% chance to be killed instantly if minion, 1% if lieutenant  

I'd like to see more dual element sets like water and storm blast.

Hellfire blast : deals a mix a lethal, fire and negative energy attacks

shrapnel rain: lethal/fire what more can you add

dark flame blast : it burns and drain energy at the same time

hell grenade : explodes with the soul of the dead

The Michael Myers in me has always wanted:

Knife Play

Stab
Quick Slice - (Close Cone)
Shiv - (+def, -spd)
Vital Puncture/Assassin's Strike - (minor -dmg, -res unhidden)
Hit the Jugular - (Causes MassOT bleed, 3 sec short duration, -spd)
Knife Challenge/Placate - (Taunt/Placate/Hide)
Knife Fan - (Ranged, Close AoE)
Under the Chin - (Uppercut, KU, Stun, +dmg, +to hit, -spd)
Bleed Out - (Similar to HtJ, but with 2 massive spurts, 2 hits, Fear)

Edited by Echo Night
  • Like 1

Were-form.

Same mechanics as Peacebringer/Warshade, two forms instead of three (or, to begin with?), one human, the other... wolf, bear, panther, bat... (landshark...) The animal form would have its own power sets, lot of directions you could go - human form might be a blaster - guns, rifle, arrow, whatev, animal form would have armor or regeneration secondary and biting, claw attacks, etc. Mastermind beast master pets have powers to build from. 

Per the thread, will never happen. Alas.

• Thumbs Up 1