The Marvels

So, much to the chagrin of the neckbeard contingent - and I mean, after racking up over $1bn globally, a CinemaScore A rating, and critical acclaim from anyone who wasn't streaming from their mum's basement on YouTube while screaming for her to bring them more meatl...

Ahem.

...there is a second Captain Marvel movie, this time teaming up with Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan.

...and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Spoiler
  • The weird power-interchange / location-swapping behaviour is as yet unexplained. 
  • Nick has some very fancy new toys in this and an org called... SABER?
    (EDIT: do we think this occurs sequentially after the Secret Invasion?)
  • Quantum entanglement (or a scientificy technobabblish handwave thereof) may be involved.
  • 💕😻🐈GOOSE IS BACK.🐈😻💕
  • ...and she may have brought her kids. (Yes, despite being ginger, Goose is a girl, and Flerkens have big litters once they feel safe enough. According to canon, 80-100 at a time.)
  • I don't know where that very fancy beachside town is but I'm already checking the property papers.
  • Bollywood dance number? Yes, why the hell not. I mean, I only know the changing-lightbulbs bit but I'd give it a go.
  • Kamala is going to annoy the hell out of everyone, including our two other leads. Probably me too. But.

Let the (polite, balanced and properly moderated) flaming commence!

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:48 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

So, much to the chagrin of the neckbeard contingent - and I mean, after racking up over $1bn globally, a CinemaScore A rating, and critical acclaim from anyone who wasn't streaming from their mum's basement on YouTube while screaming for her to bring them more meatl...

Ahem.

...there is a second Captain Marvel movie, this time teaming up with Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan.

...and I think I'm going to enjoy it. 

On 4/11/2023 at 9:48 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Hide contents
  • The weird power-interchange / location-swapping behaviour is as yet unexplained. 
  • Nick has some very fancy new toys in this and an org called... SABER
    (EDIT: do we think this occurs sequentially after the Secret Invasion?) Yeah, that's weird, seeing as the proper term is S.W.O.R.D..  Either SWORD is one of those bits of Marvel that's still in the hands of another company, or Nick is using SABER as a reference to SWORD (maybe because of SWORD is compromised by Skrulls?)
  • Quantum entanglement (or a scientificy technobabblish handwave thereof) may be involved.   "Quantum entanglement involved."  Fixed that for ya.  Honestly, Marvel was putting this together before seeing the numbers on the latest Ant movie.  "Quantum" is their favorite thing.  It is the MCU term for "science magic", and is used concurrently with "chaos magic", "arcane/sorceror's magic", "witches magic", "Asgardian magic" and a few other I forget at the moment.
  • 💕😻🐈GOOSE IS BACK.🐈😻💕
  • ...and she may have brought her kids. (Yes, despite being ginger, Goose is a girl, and Flerkens have big litters once they feel safe enough. According to canon, 80-100 at a time.)  Not going to lie, a space station full of Flerkens, especially young, hungry ones with lack of self control, is more terrifying than a space station with Alien xenomorphs.
  • I don't know where that very fancy beachside town is but I'm already checking the property papers.
  • Bollywood dance number? Yes, why the hell not. I mean, I only know the changing-lightbulbs bit but I'd give it a go.  I just hope they're not suggesting it has anything to do with Kamala.  Not because I care about the character, but because I care about consistency. Unless I've missed something (I might have) and those dance numbers represent Muslim Pakistanis as well as Indians... well they've already messed with their Mary Sue a lot. 
  • Kamala is going to annoy the hell out of everyone, including our two other leads. Probably me too. But.  "...going to..."   Too many years too late for "going to".

Let the (polite, balanced and properly moderated) flaming commence!

(adding orange answers to the hidden contents)

I'm debating whether to watch it or not.  I like Photon, Nick, and Goose.  I'll not list all my dislikes, except to say [EDIT, EDIT...EDIT, EDIT, EDIT] Okay, maybe some flaming.  I'll cool my jets.

If I watch it, it will be for Photon, Nick, and the Lovecraftian humor that is Goose.  I could watch a whole movie focused on just Photon.  She was one of the better bits of Wandavision. (I'd really like Jimmy Woo back for the fun, if so.) More importantly, if I watch any Marvel show I don't care for, it's in order to gain MCU continuity before the next big project I do want to see.

On the bright side, with the outcome of this movie, every Avenger might get his/her own cat to take into battle with them.

Edited by Techwright

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

On the bright side, with the outcome of this movie, every Avenger might get his/her own cat to take into battle with them.

NGL, I would be VERY MUCH HERE FOR THIS. 07BD7B28-2DDF-4238-A8BE-E0759F76FCCA.thumb.jpeg.1f322c40100275e32bc9cdbfca534dc7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 1 month later

Trailer looks fun.  Of course I'm going to see it.

Though, I feel with that intro it forgets it was released before Avengers and 46% Audience score.  My own thoughts, not bad, not my fave, one of the best soundtracks, tho, I didn't think the sound tracked made sense for Captain Marvel, seeing as how she would likely be more 70's and 80's music, not 90's music.  How was Come As You Are, a 90's song, even stuck in her head?  😛

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

She borrowed Star Lord's Zune?

Didn't get that until 2014/2015. 

But I'll also say, for the year the movie was taking place and when in that year, some of the songs wouldn't have been around yet.  😛

However, she was taken in 1989.  As a pilot, while not naval, may have gone for Danger Zone 😛

• 1 month later

New trailer up. First look at our antagonist and the reason for this mess: Dar-Benn (Zawe Ashton), Kree warrior and clearly hacked off with Carole for some as-yet-unknown reason. She has both an Accuser hammer (quite nasty) and the other half of Kamala's bracelet set - but whether or not screwing with their powers is part of the plan or not...

...oh, and more Goose. Obviously. 😻

• 4 weeks later

Same here.  Marvel / DC Fan boy here so I am biased to comics. 

While the Marvel content has lacked in 2022/23 they will right the ship and improve the content in the coming year now that the streaming fever is over and the accountants need them to justify their expenses and produce quality, not content.  DC will finally get their sh*t together and produce a cohesive product in 2026

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

• 4 weeks later

I am looking forward to it hoping that they give Ms. Marvel some of her joy back.  The absence of fan girl joy in the series and a lot of episodes of not fun really wrecked a great opportunity.  Seeing the Bollywood-esqe dance scene in the trailer and knowing the interaction with her family seen in the trailer and the end credits of the finale of Ms. Marvel says some excellent fun.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 1 month later

So, premiere has happened and the final trailer is out... and they keep teasing some kind of major Universe reboot event in the trailers and promo material, with a potential crossover to the Loki finale.

Not-quite-spoiler: that it ain't, at least in the ways some people have speculated.

It is, however, generally a fun if slightly confusing ride - including lots of planet-hopping, a very random musical number, an obvious if unpredictable McGuffin (Kamala's Negaband and its twin), etc. And they're quite literally herding cats at one point, so yes, that's a metaphor for the script: but Goose is also a key ally, and she's brought friends.

For those of you who really can't wait for the post-credits, of which there are two...

Spoiler
  • Monica switches universes and runs into an alternate version of her late mother. Plus her friend - one Dr. Hank McCoy, alias Beast, played by his OG actor Kelsey Grammer. It's an odd choice for introducing yer actual proper X-Men, but I guess he's less noticeable on set and cheaper than Jackman, Jen Lawrence, Fassbender etc.
  • Maybe more excitingly: Kamala meets up with Kate Bishop and talks over whether putting together a junior supergroup to take care of each other is a good idea. AKA: The Secret Warriors. Do we dare hope, squirrel friends? 🐿️

I know they are rebooting how they do the shows. I'm not all up on how they are doing it for the movies, but it feels like they have lost direction a bit, and they are working on getting things back in order. I'll see it eventually, but reviews haven't been even good, but then I thought the last Ant-Man was at least solid outside of a couple aspects. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

The Marvels Has the LOWEST Opening EVER for an MCU Movie!

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Marvel opening figures have been getting steadily worse since Endgame with only a couple having big numbers.

IMHO, I think it's partially because of how quickly the movies appear on Disney+, some of them are within a month or two, so no real urgency to see them at the cinema, especially with spiralling cinema costs. Seeing the Marvels, with just myself going and buying a large drink an a small Ben and Jerrys ice cream cost me over £25. It's just not worth it for a lot of movies now.

On 4/13/2023 at 1:16 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

NGL, I would be VERY MUCH HERE FOR THIS. 07BD7B28-2DDF-4238-A8BE-E0759F76FCCA.thumb.jpeg.1f322c40100275e32bc9cdbfca534dc7.jpeg

They really missed an opportunity by not having the "cat" show up through a portal at the final battle of endgame and given it an enemy to devour.  I'm pretty sure the filming schedule made it so the endgame folks knew next to nothing about the story in Captain Marvel, but that would have been an epic moment and laugh.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

14 hours ago, Coin said:

Marvel opening figures have been getting steadily worse since Endgame with only a couple having big numbers.

IMHO, I think it's partially because of how quickly the movies appear on Disney+, some of them are within a month or two, so no real urgency to see them at the cinema, especially with spiralling cinema costs. Seeing the Marvels, with just myself going and buying a large drink an a small Ben and Jerrys ice cream cost me over £25. It's just not worth it for a lot of movies now.

That and this is the 33rd movie in the Marvel Cinematic franchise.

• Thanks 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

IMO this has nothing to do with Disney+ content, cost of going to theaters, or any type of “fatigue”

Since Endgame, the MCU has been hit or miss, with the misses  getting worse and worse.

If the movie is good, people will go.

Its almost like Marvel figured they could do no wrong after Endgame, and people would watch whatever they put out - now, they can’t figure out how to get back on track.  Things really seem a mess.

As for The Marvels.  I didn’t watch it for 2 reasons.

First, Idont care anything about Monica Rambaeu (sp?).  Marvel has so many great characters, and this is who they choose to have in a movie?

Second, Brie Larsons portrayal of Capt Marvel is not fun or entertaining.  I loved her first movie.  Thought it was great.

Then she shows up in Endgame, and has turned into a cocky know it all.  I kept waiting for Thanos to knock some humility in her, which never happened.

Sorry, to me she plays the character as someone who knows how powerful she is, and can do whatever she wants because no one can stop her - not my idea of a hero.  In fact, sounds like the origin story of a cool villain.

As for Ms Marvel - I like her.  I liked her show.  I like the character and certainly hope we get more of her.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 3:51 PM, Coin said:

Eh. I have Disney+, for me it's nothing to do with that.

For me it's partially "... another one," partially less just accepting "It'll be a good movie" by default after the mess that was the Eternals - I still say that would've been *much* better as a TV series instead of this "Here's 30000 characters you don't get more than two minutes to get to know, care about them and be surprised at what we do in the next two hours, please?" we got, and just ... yeah, getting too big, I think. I mean, really the only "multiverse" stuff I'm loving is the Spider-man stuff. It just seems to feel more focused on a character level versus "Big bad - bigger bad - ooh, super multiversal big bad."

Plus the whole "We have this movie, which is half a movie and half a setup/commercial for the next one" which some of the latest movies have felt like.  Mixed, to a point, with "You've seen the Disney+ series, right?" (Would Dr. Strange 2 have made much sense without seeing Wandavision?)

Plus-plus, the whole Covid thing probably threw off a lot of "go see a movie" people had, still. My local theater, for instance, used to have movies starting early (9-10ish) - which I liked, since it gave the rest of the day to do things as  well (given... long-ass movies.) Now, given they start later, it feels more like it cuts the day in half awkwardly.

As far as the movie? Enough people have said they enjoyed it (people I *know and like,* not critics) I'll probably see it later this week.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

IMO this has nothing to do with Disney+ content, cost of going to theaters, or any type of “fatigue”

I'm not sure whether I'm an outlier on this. But as I do have D+ - and the release-to-streaming windows are so short now - I don't feel it's essential to block out 2/3 hours to catch it in the cinema with filthy mouthbreathing humans, when I can watch it in my own home with my own sensibly priced, diet-friendly snacks at a time that suits me.

However - and this is my worry for the future of flicks in general - that's pretty much my attitude to every flick these days, not just the MCU. Even the whole Barbenheimer thing breezed by me: the last flick I saw in cinemas was GOTG3, and that's because my partner particularly liked that series. The whole rash of new, odd little movies that are popping up in cinemas due to the strike delaying the big-bucks content are interesting and encouraging, but again, not essential - pretty sure they'll be on the 'flix or Prime right after next Cannes deal week. And no, I'm not seeing the Tay movie either, though that's been a phenomenal success: give it a few weeks and I'll be able to indulge privately, with no risk to any goth cred or my eardrums.

The rest of the time, between erratic work hours, taking care of niecelets and generally surviving the 2020s as best I can... I've not fallen out of love with the movies, but I can't make the time for them right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree to an extent @ThaOGDreamWeaver

I used to love going to the movies.  Went a couple times a week.  But for the past couple years, it has to be something I REALLY want to see to get me into a theater.  Because I don’t want to deal with other people, and their need to look at their phones or talk during the movie.  It’s just not worth it anymore.

The MCU was something that always had me at the theaters on opening weekend.  I knew if it was an MCU movie, it would be entertaining and enjoyable.  Something the general audience also knew, which is how they were able to pull amazing box office numbers - that couldn’t be done with just fanboys.

Then they started releasing bad movies.  
Im at the point now where I just wait until I can watch it at home.  I hope they get back to where they were, but it doesn’t really sound like it.  Sounds like they are going into panic mode (bring back the original Avengers.  Really?).

Haven’t seen anything at the theaters this year.  Lots of stuff came out I was interested in, but none that outweighed the theater experience - except the upcoming Godzilla Minus One.  I will be there opening weekend with my overpriced drink and popcorn.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat.  After COVID, I just haven't had the urge to go to the movies to pay the excessive amounts they charge for a show, snacks, and drinks.  For the same amount of money, I can afford several months of any given streaming service and watch the same movie at home after waiting a bit.

Further, with regard to the more recent Marvel movies, I didn't grow up reading Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy like I did Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and Spider-Man.  And when I did read Captain Marvel it was Shazam talking to a sophisticated tiger or the male Mar-vel having a mental chat with Rick Jones.  So I don't feel the need to rush out and see characters that I have little emotional attachment to.