Ninjas

Turric

This may really belong in the Suggestions area, but I wanted to put it in General just to get a feel for the reaction. It is a suggestion of a suggestion. How would the rest of you feel about a ninja faction, similar to Foot Clan or the Hand. I understand that the Tsoo kind of cover this area, but my understanding is they are less Japanese and more Chinese (and south Chinese at that). It would be racist to clump them all under "East Asian". However, a break away faction of the Tsoo could be understandable. I think there is fertile ground for something that blends all the 1980 elements of ninja, perhaps even to the creation of robot ninjas, or even giant robots etc. There is a bunch of ground here for tropes and stereotypes, but they fit in with the theme of superheroes and comics. The art style would not even have to deviate much from some of the Tsoo models, that part would be pretty easy. Or, make more signature Tsoo enemies, named ones, that have a ninja feel to them. Even the interior design of their bases could be altered using some of the base building skins that are available.

Perhaps someone should make a new story arc that features a new enemy faction of ninjas.

TLDR: I want more ninjas to fight!

Don't the Knives of Artemis kind of fill in that role? Sure, they're not explicit, true ninjas from Japanese history, but they still fit the niche pretty well. Focus on stealth and subterfuge, throwing stars, caltrops, katanas, masks, the whole deal. I do wish they got more screentime and story arcs, though. Right now they're just "those assassins that Malta hires sometimes."

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 3

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

On 8/2/2023 at 6:52 AM, Turric said:

Perhaps someone should make a new story arc that features a new enemy faction of ninjas.

Have you checked the AE to see if there are any ninja story arcs in there?

character_13119_f.jpg

---- Below links to the First Season of Sonny Chiba's Shadow Warriors ----

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I kind of feel like "Ninjas" would better describe the various stealth/infiltration/assassination units that various factions have;  The Knives or Artemis do it through extensive training, Arachnos does it through psychic powers, and so on, rather than a faction on its own...

Edited by biostem

Ninjas cramp my style. But, ok. As long as they don't eat the croissants.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On 8/4/2023 at 1:46 AM, UltraAlt said:

Have you checked the AE to see if there are any ninja story arcs in there?

Yes, there are some in the AE but I was hoping for something outside of it. A new story or faction or something.

And yes, Knives of Artemis kind of meet the criteria. I want that retro 80s Revenge of the Ninja feel, or American Ninja or any of that other bad 80s camp.

Or even the Ninja Gaiden / Shinobi feel. I want to fight Stormshadow and his Cobra students at the Arashikage Dojo! I want to fight Shredder and the Foot Clan!

On 8/2/2023 at 7:52 PM, Turric said:

This may really belong in the Suggestions area, but I wanted to put it in General just to get a feel for the reaction. It is a suggestion of a suggestion. How would the rest of you feel about a ninja faction, similar to Foot Clan or the Hand. I understand that the Tsoo kind of cover this area, but my understanding is they are less Japanese and more Chinese (and south Chinese at that). It would be racist to clump them all under "East Asian". However, a break away faction of the Tsoo could be understandable. I think there is fertile ground for something that blends all the 1980 elements of ninja, perhaps even to the creation of robot ninjas, or even giant robots etc. There is a bunch of ground here for tropes and stereotypes, but they fit in with the theme of superheroes and comics. The art style would not even have to deviate much from some of the Tsoo models, that part would be pretty easy. Or, make more signature Tsoo enemies, named ones, that have a ninja feel to them. Even the interior design of their bases could be altered using some of the base building skins that are available.

TLDR: I want more ninjas to fight!

Go play the Summer Block Buster (SBB) in game. You'll get all sorts of ninja fun then.  And monkey shines too. 😛

• Like 1

Agreed with GastlyGibus the big one-ten.  The only thing that the KoA (and filling in the abbreviation with "Knives of Artemis" or "Killed on Arrival" fits the group about equally well) are missing is the cultural context.  In terms of the power-sets...well, with regard to your classic ninjitsu, there ain't nothin' missin'.  I can see any member of this group applying to become an acolyte of The Hand in Netflix's Daredevil series and getting a membership card before they're out the door (or risen from the pit, as the case may be).  However, they'd have to do a complete turnaround with regard to motivation: the KoA and their reactionary, rather reductionist militant feminist approach would have to go out the window in favour of Frank Miller's rules for The Hand - especially Order Number One: Leave Nothing Living - along with dispensing with Western culture, including science, presumably, and replaced with Eastern mysticism.  Yeah, the black hoods and gi, along with the ninja-to, shuriken and tetsu-bishi are all part of the in-your-face image, but it'd be nice to see a villain group that claims the same fanatical, death-worship that The Hand do and follow the same sort of millenarian-apocalypse vision, rather than engaging in the rather childish, "I'm more gooder at being a ninja assassin than you are," self-promoting proclamations the KoA are inclined to make.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Talon said:

Agreed with GastlyGibus the big one-ten.  The only thing that the KoA (and filling in the abbreviation with "Knives of Artemis" or "Killed on Arrival" fits the group about equally well) are missing is the cultural context.  In terms of the power-sets...well, with regard to your classic ninjitsu, there ain't nothin' missin'.  I can see any member of this group applying to become an acolyte of The Hand in Netflix's Daredevil series and getting a membership card before they're out the door (or risen from the pit, as the case may be).  However, they'd have to do a complete turnaround with regard to motivation: the KoA and their reactionary, rather reductionist militant feminist approach would have to go out the window in favour of Frank Miller's rules for The Hand - especially Order Number One: Leave Nothing Living - along with dispensing with Western culture, including science, presumably, and replaced with Eastern mysticism.  Yeah, the black hoods and gi, along with the ninja-to, shuriken and tetsu-bishi are all part of the in-your-face image, but it'd be nice to see a villain group that claims the same fanatical, death-worship that The Hand do and follow the same sort of millenarian-apocalypse vision, rather than engaging in the rather childish, "I'm more gooder at being a ninja assassin than you are," self-promoting proclamations the KoA are inclined to make.

That was well thought out!

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 2:56 AM, Turric said:

Yes, there are some in the AE but I was hoping for something outside of it. A new story or faction or something.

My hope is that some day good arcs/stories in the AE are brought into the actual game.

Want a faction? Build one in the AE, write missions around it, and have some fun with the kind of content you want to see in the game.

How about checking out the ninja stuff that is already in the AE and telling us what you think about it?

Are any of the existing Ninja AE stuff any good?

What do you think would improve it?

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:17 AM, Techwright said:

I'm still waiting for war elephants.  When are we finally going to get those, huh?

vulcan-no-poaching-elephant.jpg

• Haha 1

Ninja Vanish!!!

k8qwzx86fv891.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

vulcan-no-poaching-elephant.jpg

Ha! But yes, no poaching.  Each will be selectively picked from already domesticated stock, humanely raise at special farms that feed them an organic, heirloom, non-GMO diet, and will be given the finest martial training currently available so that they'll be completely ready for maximum carnage.

• Sad 1

If there's a cool twist to the theme I'd love that for sure.

Like give all of them robot arms/legs/eyes and make them a tech-cult. 

Or maybe take inspiration from the Kamigawa set in Magic the Gathering. Make it a "Neon Dynasty" aesthetic.

58 minutes ago, Raikao said:

Like give all of them robot arms/legs/eyes and make them a tech-cult. 

I think it was in the RIFTS: Japan sourcebook, where they had various factions of Ninja - those that were simply highly trained, but otherwise normal, those that used mystical arts/magic/psionics, and those that utilized cybernetics, chemical augmentation, and powered armor, to all achieve similar results - gave each an interesting "flavor" and outlook...

• Thumbs Up 1