Growing up.

kelika2

I am having fewer and fewer fliers.

And I am having fewer and fewer super jumpers.

In the before times, long long ago I had so many alts who were flying and I had Evasive Maneuvers 6 slotted with 3 mito hamis and 3 defense procs.  But some time later I switched them to Leaping just to save 5 enhancement slots and a power selection.

And those with super jumping, got bumped down to Infiltration.  3 universal travels + basic sprint was nice ground speed and height/height control.

Today I did another respec and wondered how many times I traded flight for something more ergonomic.

• Thumbs Up 1

You gave up flying and jumping for running?!  That's so... pedestrian though! 

Kidding (and bad puns) aside, I get that.  Flying's fun for a while, but it feels so much slower than the others (and is boring after the excitement wears off).  Not sure I could give up SJ though, I love jumping from rooftop to rooftop on my way to and from missions.  In some zones, it's a fun little minigame trying to figure out a route that keeps me off the ground!

(and yes, SJ is on most of my toons)

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

I am a vampire peter pan i guess.  My Sark Dark Brute vampire runs fly all the time along with all his other toggles.  (Mystic flight, the +res shield in that powerset gives me an o crap button)

I find that flight on all the time allows me to manuever the ball of hate where i need him quickly, whether it be on a ledge or whatever

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I am a vampire peter pan i guess

Since I'm apparently in a mischievious mood this morning, and can't resist - does that mean you'll never grow up?  (To be fair, kinda jealous - it must be all kinds of fun to get to stay a kid!)

• Haha 2

I'm in the opposite way a bit. I used to be a Super Jump purist. It's incredibly convenient, and I take Combat Jumping on all of my toons anyway, so it was always an easy pick up even in the early days. Lately however, I've been finding myself picking Mystic Flight a lot. Not because I like flying, but because Sorcery as a package is just insanely good. I hate flying!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

On 10/21/2023 at 10:58 PM, kelika2 said:

And those with super jumping, got bumped down to Infiltration.  3 universal travels + basic sprint was nice ground speed and height/height control.

You forgot the LoTG. 

Travel power + stealth + LoTG mule all in one.  Infiltration has become my go to on the majority of my characters as it does so much for one power pick.  

5 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

I choose whatever fits the theme of the character

I know that isn't always meta

but it helps with immersion

at least for me.

I even have 1 with no travel power at all

I don't notice it often

given the sheer amount of teleports we get

Same here. Some just regularly buy jet packs because they, thematically, dont have a fast travel as part of their magic or mutation and with tight builds. Or, I get the jet boot, jet pack, or mech wing options and have a costume switch for travel. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

You forgot the LoTG. 

Travel power + stealth + LoTG mule all in one.  Infiltration has become my go to on the majority of my characters as it does so much for one power pick.  

yeah a few of my alts have 3 universals (2 zeph and 1 winter) with lotg and 2 resist alls

On 10/22/2023 at 4:01 PM, Snarky said:

I am a vampire peter pan i guess.  My Sark Dark Brute vampire runs fly all the time along with all his other toggles.  (Mystic flight, the +res shield in that powerset gives me an o crap button)

I find that flight on all the time allows me to manuever the ball of hate where i need him quickly, whether it be on a ledge or whatever

Let me guess, your Sark Dark Brute lives in a coffin on a tea clipper moored in the Channel Islands

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

That's pedestrian indeed. More power to you though. To me 3/4th of the fun is having Fly and the panoramic view of the game. Plus just ignoring mobs and hovering out of range when I need a breather for some reason.

6 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Let me guess, your Sark Dark Brute lives in a coffin on a tea clipper moored in the Channel Islands

can slip back to Santa Barbara and grab a snack, then get back to peace and quiet.  A tomb would be preferable.  However Santa Barbara is the northern tip of LA and there are no quiet graveyards.  Even the abandoned buildings get plenty of visitors.

I love SJ, I think it's the most super-feeling travel power in the game, but once I started using Speed of Sound/Jaunt, there was no going back.  That gives me a travel power that's useful indoors and outdoors, AND a teleport that I can macro to send me to a specific target, so I can land on the AV right away or materialize next to the teammate who needs PBAoE healing or whatever, or sit back patiently while everyone else figures out the blue cave map, then TP to THEIR side, affording me the appearance that I can somehow navigate those confounding bastards.

• Haha 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

can slip back to Santa Barbara and grab a snack, then get back to peace and quiet.  A tomb would be preferable.  However Santa Barbara is the northern tip of LA and there are no quiet graveyards.  Even the abandoned buildings get plenty of visitors.

No Santa Barbara for old Vampires...

sounds like a Cohen brothers movie

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

15 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

No Santa Barbara for old Vampires...

sounds like a Cohen brothers movie

a lot of misinformation surrounds "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"  

the "truth", as much as i will share, is that it is inspired by the history surrounding Summerland, CA in Santa Barbara County. There are many strange events in this early American city set on the site of an ancient civilization. (now eradicated, although certain locals have legally taken the ancient race's rights)

35 minutes ago, Azari said:

I'm addicted to Hover. I just feel naked without it... 

I totally misread this as "hoover" and wondered why you'd play in a vacuum

• Haha 1

To be fair....most of my alts have Fly/Hover of some form or another.  If not Jetpacks, then the rocket board, at least, but I almost always pick some sort of flight.  Always Flew on this game.  Why?  I think Flying is fun.  Could be the dream, could be I'll never grow up, but I'd always liked flying.  Speed didn't really matter to me...and if I need more speed?  Afterburner.  Other than that...Time Constraints never really felt that 'tight' to need 'Ludicrous speed!' for everything.  Then again...I'm usually the dude that jogs when everyone else runs forward.

My point being...go with what you like.  Want to go faster?  Go faster.  I'll fly above everything and enjoy it.

On 10/21/2023 at 10:58 PM, kelika2 said:

In the before times, long long ago I had so many alts who were flying and I had Evasive Maneuvers 6 slotted with 3 mito hamis and 3 defense procs.  But some time later I switched them to Leaping just to save 5 enhancement slots and a power selection.

Funny, I don't think I've EVER put slots into Evasive Maneuvers. It's always and forever a LotG +rech mule slot, and nothing more. 

Personally, I like flight because it's the most freeform way to travel. I can operate in 360 degrees and move around as I see fit. Want to go to the top of a building? Just fly up. Want to get those badges high up on ledges and things? Fly up and grab them. With superspeed? Yeah, still need to find a way to walk up there, and trying to move at high velocity on a small ledge 200 feet up is going to end up with me falling off. And superleap doesn't cut it for a lot of places, so you have to jump up to ledge #1, then ledge #2, then to the point you're aiming for.

Flight is just more convenient. 

1 hour ago, kelika2 said:

EM has a higher flightmod than Hover so it benefited more from enhancements.

Yeah, I don't use hover for general movement anyway. I just use flight. If I want precise control (like flying around indoors or something) I'll kick hover on as well, so I get all the speed of flight and the control of hover. Costs a bit more end, but I'm generally not doing that for more than a few seconds in combat anyway. 

Generally hover and EM are just LotG mule slots for me.

On 10/22/2023 at 9:01 AM, Snarky said:

The Bampf Life is even better: two TP attacks from, say, Savage Melee and Shield, then Spring Attack, plus Combat Teleport... I can get anywhere I need to without so much as lifting one foot from the floor...

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝