Favorite Homage?

drgantz

Do you have a favorite homage toon?

What is its name, AT and powersets?  Is there anything else interesting about that toon?

You might guess from my profile pic that I have a homage to Al Bundy.  He is a StJ/WP Brute.

I originally named him Al Bundy, but that got generic'd.  Then, I changed his name to Touchdown Bundy.  That lasted about 2 years, and then got generic'd.

I then changed his name to Touchdown Hero and changed his background story to make him younger and to live in Paragon City instead of Chicago.

Here is his background story:

I'm the greatest athlete, after all I played High School Football and scored 4 touchdowns in a single game, winning the 1996 Championship for Statesman High School. Unfortunately, my football career ended due to a career ending marriage.  I married a lazy redhead, had two worthless kids and spent the rest of my life selling women's shoes. One day, I was hungry after work and I knew that my wife wasn't going to cook anything, so I stopped at a restaurant, hoping to get some food from the trash. After I walked in, a guy walked in with a gun and said this was a robbery. I didn't want to wait for the police, because then I would miss Hondo again. He then pointed his gun at my face. If someone puts something in my face it had better be food, so I brought out the Marines and Special Forces (my fists) and pummelled him into the ground. The restaurant then gave me a free meal and I was on the news. I realized that I could get used to this, so now I am a superhero.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I have stalker based vaguely on Nemesis the Warlock, Broadsword/EA.  He plays well, but I've never bothered to get round to hitting 50 with him yet.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Adam Black my first ever PC made in COH so long ago

Invuln SS tank and fun to play as they come

i also have homages to Star Fire, Mockingbird, Hawkgirl as well

• Like 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

While most of my characters are OCs now, on both live and here on Homecoming I have an homage to Illyana Rasputin ("Magik"), as she was always my favorite from the X-Men comics growing up. Was actually my very first character to reach incarnates, as I wasn't around at the end of live to do so back then.

Broadsword/Invuln mutant Scrapper, teleport pool for "portals", costume change macro to give her the armor in combat. Good times. I may end up remaking her now that scrappers can use EA though, eventually.

Edited by Lhanis
  • Like 2

Major Viktory. Current version is SJ/WP. Scrapper. Red, White and Blue costume. Stars are present. His civilian name is Roger Stevens. Combat veteran. True leader. 

Of course, he has no shield, like my original version of him, so…he could be anybody…:-)

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

7 hours ago, drgantz said:

What is its name, AT and powersets?  Is there anything else interesting about that toon?

You might guess from my profile pic that I have a homage to Al Bundy.  He is a StJ/WP Brute.

I originally named him Al Bundy, but that got generic'd.  Then, I changed his name to Touchdown Bundy.  That lasted about 2 years, and then got generic'd.

I then changed his name to Touchdown Hero and changed his background story to make him younger and to live in Paragon City instead of Chicago.

Here is his background story:

I'm the greatest athlete, after all I played High School Football and scored 4 touchdowns in a single game, winning the 1996 Championship for Statesman High School. Unfortunately, my football career ended due to a career ending marriage.  I married a lazy redhead, had two worthless kids and spent the rest of my life selling women's shoes. One day, I was hungry after work and I knew that my wife wasn't going to cook anything, so I stopped at a restaurant, hoping to get some food from the trash. After I walked in, a guy walked in with a gun and said this was a robbery. I didn't want to wait for the police, because then I would miss Hondo again. He then pointed his gun at my face. If someone puts something in my face it had better be food, so I brought out the Marines and Special Forces (my fists) and pummelled him into the ground. The restaurant then gave me a free meal and I was on the news. I realized that I could get used to this, so now I am a superhero.

I have a Sonic/Pain corruptor named Marcy Darcy.  She hasn't been generic'd since my homage wears a bra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have one that apes a certain mustachioed Master of the Mystic Arts, but I did it cool, using the costume from the live-action Dr. Strange from back in the 70s. 

image.png.7f8e38d25843616b81e351ec6fb8f0ed.png 

ETA: It's perfect because someone would have to have seen it to KNOW.

Edited by roleki
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Is it wrong I read this post as "favorite fromage" and now I'm thinking about my favorite cheeses?

I want some habanero pepper jack and some double cream brie, and blackberry goat cheese now.

All my characters are originals, however one character does have a couple homage/parody costumes of other characters but I never wear them, they just exist to look cool on my costume options list.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Like 3

I have two deliberate homage characters:  Dash Marlowe (SJ/Willpower scrapper), an homage to hard-boiled detective stories in general, and Lee Three (MA/Ninjutsu scrapper), whose main inspiration was Melinda Mays from S.H.I.E.L.D.

I also had an accidental homage on Live, a Kin/Archery defender.  When I described the character to a SG mate, he immediately responded with "So, Wonder Woman, but with a bow."  Had an "oh, carp" moment and debated re-making the character, but since she'd already survived a bigger "oh carp" moment previously, I decided to carry on.  I never re-created the character on Homecoming, but Melody Fayte (Archery/Martial Combat blaster) serves as an homage to that accidental homage.

• Like 2

I have been on an nrg aura kick with my Sents and really like the glow option that looks like his one of my fave DC char. Green Lantern...I've done a couple a rad/nrg and a fire/nrg (of course green colored powers/aura) bouncing the name between the two. He goes by the name The Green Atomic.

• Like 1

Bill3.jpg.f1ff7a242b7765691cf45caa5d829f5a.jpg

My DA page

—“too soon old, and too late smart.”  

I have plenty of homages but I will refrain from mentioning any of them in case someone has a heavy hand with the generic button.  I remember the good old days when devs used to generic things when people reported them rather than when the devs screened the forums looking for names.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

quietly hides my Gwenpool, Hit Girl, Red Woman and Babydoll homage characters until the noise dies down 🙂

• Like 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

19 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Is it wrong I read this post as "favorite fromage" and now I'm thinking about my favorite cheeses?

I want some habanero pepper jack and some double cream brie, and blackberry goat cheese now.

All my characters are originals, however one character does have a couple homage/parody costumes of other characters but I never wear them, they just exist to look cool on my costume options list.

Cheesy characters are certainly acceptable.

As is cheese in general.

Went to a wedding that had a nacho cheese fountain right next to the open bar...guess where I hung out ....

• Like 1

/e poofgone

1 minute ago, JasperStone said:

Went to a wedding that had a nacho cheese fountain right next to the open bar...guess where I hung out ....

Glorious!  If more wedding receptions included those I would actually attend willingly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I have a Power Girl homage went Inv/SS tanker.

Short yellow cape, white t-shirt, blue skirt

Power Lass - a Kryptonian whose dimension was destroyed, and she ended up here. Completely rejected by the "superfamiy"

She finds work in Paragon

After being part of a lengthy copyright infringement conversion here in the forums, she sits in the base. Will figure out a new name and backstory eventually

• Like 2

/e poofgone

I have an homage to the character Geoffrey Holder played in the 1970s advertising campaign for 7-Up named Uuncola.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 11/21/2023 at 8:17 AM, drgantz said:

Tough choice.  I have only a few but love them all.

I suppose I'll note 1 hero and 1 villain:

Hero: Rainforest Revenant, homage to The Phantom.  He's a Dual Pistols/Ninjitsu Sentinel.  I've changed his costume's dominant color to forest green (makes more sense in the jungle) and have given him goggles instead of the iconic mask .  I couldn't do everything I wanted with the costume, but that's probably for the best.  Don't want to get too close to the OG.  I've also bought the PW2 wolf to follow him around.  If you know, you know.

He's posted here in the costume thread of the art forum.

Villain: The Eggsterminator: homage to Egghead, Vincent Price's character on the 1960s Batman TV show.  Thugs/Forcefield Mastermind.  I've chosen two different face looks for the character: one like a solid white egg, one like a cracked-shell egg.  By necessity to the game he is more violent than the campy Egghead, but I tend to ham it up with the character, trying to use the "egg-" substitute for the "ex-" when typing, just like Price did.  I also consider the force field powerset a tie-in to character obsession with everything eggs, since they look a bit ovoid, and I've colored them pale egg colors.  I just wish we had thugs with turtleneck sweaters and sewn-on name badges. 

Eggy's various looks can be found here in the costume thread.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Psyonico said:

There is a fine line where they are allowed.  Homage is different than copy.

I wasn't asking about direct copies.  Those are a no brainer.  Homages are a different story and depending on who you ask, they shouldn't be allowed.  There's still all sorts of people here who get upset if they find your character to be too close for their comfort. 

I'll compare the differences here:

Clone:  Wolvarine
Homage:  Clawzerker

Parody:  Benvereen (made to look like Ben Vereen)

Clone:  Battman

Homage:  Night Avenger

Parody:  Fatman

Clone:  Dirtty Harrry

Homage:  Magnum Cop

Parody:  Nerdy Harry

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I fundamentally dislike "homages"

I much prefer an original character. I know it's very easy to produce something quite akin to some pop-culture/comic reference because of our amazing costume creator, but it's far more satisfying to me to be able to create my own character, flesh out their back story and raison d'etre in my own mind and play something halfway original.

I've always felt that if you build an homage, you're cheapening yourself and the game when you miss out on so much potential.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

None here but I had two back on Legacy. I had a Grammaton Cleric When DP came out and I had a dual-sword veterinarian on Freedom... Sorro the Spay Blade.

• Haha 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.