NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

13 hours ago, Bodai said:

But, I guess it is more fun and dramatic to talk about all the ways something is impossible right?

Seems to me all the drama is coming from the folks insisting the impossible really isn't.

Yeah, okay, maybe it's not absolutely impossible if we had NCSoft's cooperation. But we don't. Indeed that database was scrubbed precisely because NCSoft demanded it.

Just another rando giving a major congrats to the team. A small piece of my faith in humanity was restored when I read the article about the news.

Keep up the wonderful work, and happy to donate to the cause.

5 hours ago, Derek Icelord said:

What does Homecoming gain from this, besides the hope that NCSoft demanding a shutdown is less likely and possibly more hosting options?

I'm not privy to Homecoming's plans for the future but I'd guess that having a license from the IP owner makes a number of things easier. Server hosting, for example, can now search for a combination of price and reliability without having to prioritize "doesn't care about piracy". Openly advertising  our existence is another possibility. And I know of a least one person who's more willing to make an account thanks to the cloak of legitimacy the license provides.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

12 minutes ago, Ulysses Dare said:

I'm not privy to Homecoming's plans for the future but I'd guess that having a license from the IP owner makes a number of things easier. Server hosting, for example, can now search for a combination of price and reliability without having to prioritize "doesn't care about piracy". Openly advertising  our existence is another possibility. And I know of a least one person who's more willing to make an account thanks to the cloak of legitimacy the license provides.

I want to get this in before the thread gets locked..... The single greatest development in all of this is ...... pineapple on pizza.

• Thumbs Down 3
  • Moose 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 4

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

• City Council
2 minutes ago, starro said:

I want to get this in before the thread gets locked..... The single greatest development in all of this is ...... pineapple on pizza.

One more for my list.

• Haha 3
  • Moose 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 4
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 6

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

7 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

Yes nerf regen! it's not nerfed enough until it depletes your health instead of regenerating it! 🤣

Issue 28: Hurts SO Good

*Regen now causes you to lose hp unless you 6 slot Brawl , only put enhancements in that power only and all the enhancements have to be recharge SOs. 

Edited by Skyhawke
  • Haha 2

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

48 minutes ago, starro said:

Yeah.  No.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Congrats to the team from me and all of my toons, especially the one(s) I brought back from the official servers (via remaking, of course), the two versions of M2 (aka Manticore Jr), the heroic one (M2 Reborn) who came from the old pre-Sundown universe and the villain one (M2 the Fallen) who operated as a hero in the HC universe until the NC universe version came and stole his thunder. I haven't played in a long time, and especially on those two, but it feels like really coming home, now that it's all above-board.

Edited by OmegaX123

On 1/5/2024 at 3:55 PM, DoctorDitko said:

Have you seen if it enables the Steam Controller?

I assume our own entry would, but someone above was asking.

(And not tracking is a feature! If I kept track of hours played, I'd probably need to increase my medication!)

Here's a link to the video that got my Steam Controller running back in the day.

My worry is that the "future" launcher won't enable the Steam Controller

Congratulations and Salutations Homecoming Team. This is indeed great and astonishing news. I am truly grateful for your hard work in accomplishing this mission after these years, and living up to our phrase, 'This is what heroes do.' I look forward to learning more about this agreement, and what more it means for us here at Homecoming.

Thank you heroes,

Monk of Indom

The Monkpath is the path of Love and compassion. I invite you to see what's around the next bend. - Monk

On 1/4/2024 at 10:50 PM, MattBold said:

This is an industry first right?  Has any company EVER granted an official license to a rogue private server community?

I'm curious about this as well. Pretty impressed with the team here, it must have been a lot of work and a long road to reach that agreement.

Here's a question related to what the license covers. I know that story arcs contributed under the Guest Author Program back in the NCSoft ways were legally considered work for hire (in other words, NCSoft owns the rights and not the authors). Does the contract with NCSoft allow you to publish those arcs, or were they not included in the license?

0e0cd851664faff3.jpg

100-Congratulations-Messages-3-GettyImages-1214106803.jpg

20-Powerful-Poems-About-Life-That-Will-Change-How-You-See-the-World_3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

Im curious if this means development tools for CoH will be available to the homecoming team.  It would be nice to know if the devs volunteer workload can be lessened or that particularly difficult areas to code would be easier/possible (such as itrials, animations, leagues and lfg).  Or even if the tools were available,  that they are too old and essentially defunct compared to current development techniques and wouldnt make a difference.

1 hour ago, TheZag said:

Im curious if this means development tools for CoH will be available to the homecoming team.  It would be nice to know if the devs volunteer workload can be lessened or that particularly difficult areas to code would be easier/possible (such as itrials, animations, leagues and lfg).  Or even if the tools were available,  that they are too old and essentially defunct compared to current development techniques and wouldnt make a difference.

Would be interesting if some of the animation models, etc... were made available.

Indeed, this most welcome. And in some ways, very surprising news. Great job by all that toiled lo, these many years. Now it is truely a Homecoming. Pity that all of our original characters & wonderful Architect missions have been lost...

But good to know that our current ones will continue to thrive.

A few Questions though:

1)- Will some of the old features be reborn? Such as the drinking of a potion to change a characters gender whilst still keeping all of their design & gear?

2)- Will the remaining locks on costume pieces be lifted? Currently I still cannot put a trenchcoat/duster/matrix coat on a hero, only a villian. I was able to add it to a hero on the old servers.

3)- How will this affect other COH projects? Such as Ship Of Heros or the work being done by the TITAN network? I've playing this game for years, in any form that was available.

Being officially sanctioned is validation of all of your hard work. I look forward to what the future brings to the best superhero game ever. Huzzah!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Dr. Strangequirk said:

1)- Will some of the old features be reborn? Such as the drinking of a potion to change a characters gender whilst still keeping all of their design & gear?

Why would anyone do this?

You can get into the costume creator and change EVERYTHING.  Including gender.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangequirk said:

2)- Will the remaining locks on costume pieces be lifted? Currently I still cannot put a trenchcoat/duster/matrix coat on a hero, only a villian. I was able to add it to a hero on the old servers.

I think you’re just not looking in the right spot because there is no alignment lock on costume pieces.