The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #62: What emotes do you do and do you have macros for them?

I don't emote in real life.  I didn't emote in CoH, but someone posted a macro for an emote and I had a goal of picking an emote for each of my characters.  I didn't.  But for awhile I was picking them.

My Lost character begs.

Bond, Atomic Bond, mixes drinks

my Trolls flex

my Tsoo do kata

So what emotes do you use and do you macro them to your character?

I have /facepalm bound on every single one of my gang. Every one.

Mr. Coyote has /fancybow on most of his and has since way back in the live days.

The only one I have macroed is on my Demons MM. Amtes habitually puts her hellishly loud minions all into /PraetorianSalute if I'm going to have her staitonary for any length of time. Those guys are just obnoxious otherwise. 

• Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I have only two that I can think - wait, no three. 

• A Christmas-based toon of mine has one.  Another player on a recent group had one too and had that "drinking from a Christmas mug" emote and was kind enough to pass that on for me, s my toon has it now too.
  • Two of my MMs have one or two for the minions; one's just to say something.
  • An early Corr with Accelerate Metabolism has one for the steam whistle to signal team-mates it's AM-time.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have a lot.  I use the menu function then bind each menu to a button in a tray.  I have one for greetings and such.  One for playing the coin game.  I have one menu for win and one for loss.  Then there are other menus for interactions, costume changes.  The last one is for other games.

Almost all are text with an emote with a few being single action.  

Edit, I guess I should talk about what emotes I use.  My favorite is starting a trade request while giving a present.

Edited by Monty Haull
  • Like 1

I have a Thugs/Empathy MM with the provoke power. She has the Bring it emote tied to text "Come get Some". I decided not to bind it to the power Provoke because the emote is too long and she uses it to pull a group back into a group of thugs to get ganked. The Bring it emote is just used for effect after shes safely backed around a corner. She is, of course, a squishy.

My Ninja/Time MM has his Ninja crew named after famous Rock N Roll Guitarists. They do the group Air Guitar emote together after mission ends that are successful. Or sometimes when they're just standing around practicing.

Since I am an old Victory Server player, of course I use the Victory emote on a lot of my toons. We were the only server with its own emote, and its like a secret handshake.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

2 hours ago, Monty Haull said:

I have a lot.  I use the menu function then bind each menu to a button in a tray.  I have one for greetings and such.  One for playing the coin game.  I have one menu for win and one for loss.  Then there are other menus for interactions, costume changes.  The last one is for other games.

Almost all are text with an emote with a few being single action.  

Edit, I guess I should talk about what emotes I use.  My favorite is starting a trade request while giving a present.

I imagined you had to have a complex setup there with emotes and macros and binds.  Ironically I have none.  Rarely use emotes as it is.  When I am cheering someone on they get clap or cheer manually typed.  I bind and macro nothing for emotes.  I have one character who gender swaps that I made macros of the costume change command with the animation which i guess would be an emote.

Edited by High_Beam

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I used to use emotes more frequently back circa 2005-2009, often things like kata, batsmash and batsmashreact, Alakazam, etc.

Now a days I will occasionally use a CCE if swapping costumes makes sense for the character. I have some that have street clothes but need to suit up, a dr. Jekyll and mr. Hyde situation, or a character that essentially turns into an energy form of themselves that I often tie to the content and difficulty of the challenge I'm facing.

2 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I used to use emotes more frequently back circa 2005-2009, often things like kata, batsmash and batsmashreact, Alakazam, etc.

Now a days I will occasionally use a CCE if swapping costumes makes sense for the character. I have some that have street clothes but need to suit up, a dr. Jekyll and mr. Hyde situation, or a character that essentially turns into an energy form of themselves that I often tie to the content and difficulty of the challenge I'm facing.

I have some characters that could use a CCE when they change costumes - can you share the macro you use?

41 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I have some characters that could use a CCE when they change costumes - can you share the macro you use?

Here's a great bind/macro resource made by @Shenanigunnerhttps://www.shenanigunner.com/#TechGuide

I've done binds like "/bind shift+[, cce 1 ccDrinkFormula" you can make them as macros as well or even use macro_image if you want to get fancy. It's all in the guide.

Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like to pick out an idle emote for a lot of my toons! I'm not great at writing bios, so having a little action for them to perform is the closest thing I can get to adding extra character.

But I'm always using /e opengift since it gets you through doors faster!

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

One some of my character I have /bind v "em StanceVillain2"

On one character I have /bind v "em RobotPowerDown" because his appearance just isn't disturbing enough...

mOirHF5.jpg

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

explain

If you bind /e opengift, you can mash it while clicking on a door and it'll override the animation. This lets you act immediately after passing through a door/vator.

I think /e ultimatepower works for this as well!

Edited by Spaghetti Betty
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

My only character that routinely uses an emote is Colonel Green, my Mercs/FF MM. The macro orders his soldiers to attack and causes him to start drinking his coffee.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

If you bind /e opengift, you can mash it while clicking on a door and it'll override the animation. This lets you act immediately after passing through a door/vator.

Huh. Noted for experimentation.

• Moose 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

3 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Did nothing for me but litter the area on each side of a door with confetti. No change in the animation or passthru speed.

Does it only work on mission doors?

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

34 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Did nothing for me but litter the area on each side of a door with confetti. No change in the animation or passthru speed.

Does it only work on mission doors?

It works on any door that doesn't load you into an instance. You have to emote as you're clicking the door so that it plays over the door entering animation. Try holding forward as you're coming out. If you can move within a second of exiting the door, you did it right.

1 hour ago, Shenanigunner said:

Did nothing for me but litter the area on each side of a door with confetti.

Doesn't sound like a complete failure then, ha ha

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

21 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Bond, Atomic Bond, mixes drinks

Hey there, way to pick up the weekly topic! You're a hero!

I emote only through the menu and sometimes I'll type stuff '..em/doublefacepalm' or '..em/shocked' rather than doing the animation.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Most of what I "emote" is just using /em does whatever. However, as for emotes I use?

Dance. Sometimes with one specifically selected. Since there's a weekly get together every thursday, I'm guaranteed to be doing that at least once a week.

Drink, food, wintermug.  General "interact with the environment" stuff - various sits, swoon, collapse, liedown.

Other than that... I don't think I use that many on a regular basis.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 1/11/2024 at 11:47 PM, DougGraves said:

So what emotes do you use and do you macro them to your character?

Well, most of my characters have ccemotes for costume changes.

/macro name "cce # ccemote"

name = name of your macro

cce # = slot # first slot is 0, second is 2, etc

ccemote = one of these below

ccbackflip cchowl ccevillaugh ccspin ccnuke 

cclightning ccprestochango ccdrinkformula 

ccsmokebomb ccninjaleap CCDimensionShift ccfurburst 

ccsalute ccvanguardsigil cccast ccsuperserum 

ccenergymorph ccrapidboil ccfeatherburst 

ccfurspin ccoilstrike ccpressurerelease 

cciceblock ccstoneblock ccfireworks 

ccpureenergy ccnuke ccmurderofcrows 

ccconfettithrow ccgiftburst ccinnerwill 

cclightmagic ccrainbow

And I often have a innocent bystander costume and (at least one) superhero costume, so ...

/macro IB  "cce # ccemote$$goto_tray 9"

/macro Super "cce # ccemote$$goto_tray 1"

I'll put like brawl and that kind of thing in the IB tray (tray 9) as well as the form change macro for changing into superhero mode.

I'll usually put the IB and Super macro into another tray that I don't use for combat as well.

And then sometimes I use another emote before activating the costume change and that varies.

I would stick that in the non-power try with the IB and Super macro - usually before the Superhero macro so I use it as a sort of "power-up" before doing the actual costume change.

I usually add an emote to my thanks and gratz macros.

I use the dancing emotes, some of the sports emotes,  ... well ... some of all kinds of emotes dependant upon the character.

Usually, I'll do this when I'm standing around waiting for something to go on, even that is /e crouch -ing on a ledge somewhere waiting pounce on an unsuspecting target.

Sometimes I'll act like I'm interacting with NPCs that are standing around somewhere.

Honestly, I probably end up using /e shrug and /e facepalm more than any of the other ones, but I don't think I have either of those macro'd.

It isn't past me to use /e protest or /e holdtorch

(  @DougGraves see above )

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thanks 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.