Perma Powers?

Mentaxus

• Permahasten - Hasten needs a total of +275% Recharge (205% after Hasten's own +70%)
  • PermaDP - Dull Pain needs a total of +200% Recharge
  • PermaDom - Domination needs a total of +123% Recharge

So I found this in the wiki and was wondering if this was still a thing? I couldn't find any guides on the subject or what powers could be up 24/7 like that. Sorry if this isn't the right space for this was just wondering as I was interested in trying something special for a villain. I always go solo and thought this concept would be a fun way to go from 1 to 50 alone

20 minutes ago, Mentaxus said:

So I found this in the wiki and was wondering if this was still a thing?

You need to take into account the recharge bonus from slotting recharge enhancements in the powers, then the rest comes from things like the luck of the gambler global recharge IOs + the smaller recharge bonuses you can get from slotting certain IO sets.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Mentaxus said:

Well I'm very much a newb when it comes to advanced concepts and builds, so is there a list or guide or something for what powers this works on and how to go about it?

hasten works on all but a few powers in the game.  dull pain works on you.  perma dom works to increase a dominators controls/mezze type stuff

2 hours ago, Mentaxus said:

Well I'm very much a newb when it comes to advanced concepts and builds, so is there a list or guide or something for what powers this works on and how to go about it?

Visit the sub forums for the AT you're playing, look around for builds matching the power sets you've chosen.  Sometimes you may still not find one, but you might find one with one of those power sets, which should give you some idea. 

Also, our lovely and talented wiki has a lot of good info, such as this:  https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Dominator_Strategy

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

8 hours ago, Mentaxus said:
  • Permahasten - Hasten needs a total of +275% Recharge (205% after Hasten's own +70%)
  • PermaDP - Dull Pain needs a total of +200% Recharge
  • PermaDom - Domination needs a total of +123% Recharge

So I found this in the wiki and was wondering if this was still a thing? I couldn't find any guides on the subject or what powers could be up 24/7 like that. Sorry if this isn't the right space for this was just wondering as I was interested in trying something special for a villain. I always go solo and thought this concept would be a fun way to go from 1 to 50 alone

You're not going to get perma much while leveling though. Even at max level and with expensive builds it is not all that achieve perma Hasten for example. Most of mine fall short by 15 or more seconds despite sinking more than half a billion.

I'm not sure yet what is the concept you're trying for other than getting perma powers running. Perma dom and perma Dull Pain are exclusive for example (I don't think Doms get Dull Pain in their epic pools).

Easier to do with certain power sets. For example, Time and Radiation Emission have powers that boost your recharge (Chrono Shift and Accelerate Metabolism), reducing the amount of global recharge bonuses you need. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

You're not going to get perma much while leveling though. Even at max level and with expensive builds it is not all that achieve perma Hasten for example. Most of mine fall short by 15 or more seconds despite sinking more than half a billion.

I'm not sure yet what is the concept you're trying for other than getting perma powers running. Perma dom and perma Dull Pain are exclusive for example (I don't think Doms get Dull Pain in their epic pools).

I was at first going to do Dom but I have a controller already and while it's fun it's not easy especially solo so I think I will try a tank for hasten and dull pain. Not sure what kind yet. I was trying to figure out which one does the most damage so my kill time isn't too slow. Seems like Super Reflexes or Shield are the most recommended.

8 minutes ago, Mentaxus said:

I was at first going to do Dom but I have a controller already and while it's fun it's not easy especially solo so I think I will try a tank for hasten and dull pain. Not sure what kind yet. I was trying to figure out which one does the most damage so my kill time isn't too slow. Seems like Super Reflexes or Shield are the most recommended.

Fire Armor.

Dull Pain is from Invulnerability which is a nice sturdy power set, but not particularly helping towards damage if looking for damage.

Aiming for 'perma powers' is a bit vague tbh. All builds aim for recharge so it's already a generic goal most characters have. SR and Stone Armor have built-in recharge to help in that though, and you can pick a melee set with KD in it to put Force Feedback procs to further help.

7 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Fire Armor.

Dull Pain is from Invulnerability which is a nice sturdy power set, but not particularly helping towards damage if looking for damage.

Aiming for 'perma powers' is a bit vague tbh. All builds aim for recharge so it's already a generic goal most characters have. SR and Stone Armor have built-in recharge to help in that though, and you can pick a melee set with KD in it to put Force Feedback procs to further help.

Well I used those choices in my first post cause that's what it showed as an example for it. I guess the main point of the post is what solo build would benefit the most for going for perma powers with hasten besides Dominators

All that’s needed for a power to be perma is for its duration to be longer than its recharge + activation time. Making powers perma may be interesting, but just having the “perma” label stamped on isn’t, on its own, that valuable a goal. It’s what the power does when it effectively never shuts that makes it valuable. 

That T1 immobilize that does no damage that you never use, all MM pet summons, some clicky status protection powers. Yep, they’re perma out of the box and no blinks about it. 

On the other hand, Domination, Light Form, and Phantom Army are amazing if you can get them perma. But they’re amazing powers even if you can’t. It just isn’t always obvious how to get them that way, if it’s even possible. 

There’s no guide on this because how you achieve the vast amounts of recharge for your purposes varies wildly based on what you want to perma, what your primary and secondary sets are, and how much you’re willing to compromise your build in order to hit that perma. 

My recommendation is search the forums or discord for a perma build. Open it in Mids Reborn, and study it. You’ll see all the weird crazy things people do. Why would anyone take that useless immobilize power they don’t ever use and 5-slot it with purples? Because they need that 10% global recharge set bonus and there’s nowhere else to put it. It’s all crazy and it’s all expensive. 

And in full disclosure, I have ~100 toons. One with perma dom, one with perma light form. 

• Like 1

It's a bit tangential, but this seems like a good place to mention that walking binds can help 'perma' all toggle powers and help with multiple click powers as well.

By binding your forward key (W) to a series of rolling binds (execute, load next bind for W, repeat) it's possible to have toggles up all but permanently, with fast and automatic recall should they drop, and cycle through auto-fire settings to keep, say, both Hasten and Dull Pain or Practiced Brawler up more or less perma. Completely auto once set up and if there's any hit on performance, in any way, I've never detected it. As I've noted before, anyone with a toggle-heavy build or more than one click buff is just leaving Inf on the table by not using walking binds.

A bit too involved to post here; I can best refer you to Section 2.9 of the Guide (at www.Shenanigunner.com).

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I would say that that Dull Pain is one of the least important powers to have perma. I have put it on auto, but only for very limited circumstances (hard modes). YMMV.

I usually see Defensive clicks as being more important to perma... Although if those powers affect teammates (e.g. Mind Link) it could be important to not have them on auto because teams may be too scattered to get the boosts.

Obligatory reminder that a temporary global +Recharge buff can be crafted at a SG base workstation.

You *can* perma an awful lot of powers if you're really committed to that kind of build... Even some with ridiculously long native recharge times.

My favorite Dual Blade/Willpower Stalker back in the retail days (Who I've rebuilt here as a Scrap-) had/has a perma-summoned Mu Adept partner from her Patron pool. I managed to stack enough recharge on Kestrel to resummon her floating sidekick as soon as he despawned, with a little time to spare. It's a ludicrous thing, cost a bloody fortune back-in-the-day (and was still pricey here in comparison to some of my other builds-)  and it was done strictly for roleplay reasons rather than for gameist purposes on top of all that... But it was fun just to see if I could do it. You have to really commit to Recharge-Is-All for a silly trick like that, though, which usually means trading off other goals, like soft-capped Defenses.  

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Ooo.. here's an idea.  What about... perma RESURGENCE!

I know! You're thinking it's just a self rez, but it's also a self-BUFF!  90 seconds of +recharge, +damage, +tohit, and +recovery!  15 seconds of immunity to kick it off!  300 sec base recharge.  Get that down to 90 seconds and you can skip the Resurgence penalties by just dying again!

Brilliant?!

• Like 1
  • Moose 1

If you want a quick idea if perma is even possible take the recharge divide by 5.  If that value is less than its duration then it's possible.  A good idea is a whole other question.

Example, Empathy's Auras 500 second recharge, divide by 5 is 100 seconds.  The duration of the Aura is 90 sec.  Therefore even at the recharge cap (500%) you'll be 10 seconds shy.