Is it worth it to run this Difficulty Setting?

So, can someone who's better at understanding maths than me clarify something? Is it actually THAT much better to run normal missions with a difficulty setting of -1 and group size of +4 vs. a normal +0/+1 set up? For grinding XP.

That how you max exp?  Huh.  If you are addicted to soloing then I do hope someone answers this for you. I do not know

When I want to fast level I join TFs in my level range.  And have a double exp booster running.  I get caught up in the madness.  By the end of the TF I have a good amount of exp.  Repeat. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Microphone 2

that is really going to depend on your AT, powerset, build, skill, and even the enemy you're fighting. I would recommend just trying it out for yourself.

• set notoriety to -1/x4
  • grab a radio mish
  • try it halfway
  • leave the mission
  • log off for 30 seconds (or any other method to reset a mission without abandoning it) 
  • repeat at notoriety +0/x1

but yes, it can conceivably be faster experience.

Edited by Sunsette
  • Thumbs Up 2

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

26 minutes ago, DMBLaan99 said:

So, can someone who's better at understanding maths than me clarify something? Is it actually THAT much better to run normal missions with a difficulty setting of -1 and group size of +4 vs. a normal +0/+1 set up? For grinding XP.

There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question.  If your character specializes in AoEs, then more, but weaker enemies is probably the better route to go.  If they instead focus more on single target attacks, fewer, but tougher enemies may be ideal.  If they can take a lot of damage, and possibly even have an aura power that grants them buffs for each nearby enemy, maybe you'll prefer larger groups.  In short, you have to find what works well for your particular build and playstyle...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, DMBLaan99 said:

Why not run a few missions at +1 or +2/8 with some friends and supergroupmembers? The more the merrier!

Powers and abilities can compliment eachother!

• Thumbs Up 1

To misquote @Snarky: When I want to fast level I join TFs. 

Don't have to be in my level range. Doesn't matter if I already have the badge on that toon. Just some mindless mayhem and a ton of xp and inf.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer: Flitz (MA/SR Scrapper), Lead Hose (AR/Dev Blaster), Red Rag (Fire/Fire Brute) ... and many more!

5 hours ago, DMBLaan99 said:

For solo play, higher multiples of critter spawns are better for XP (and drops, don't forget the drops!)

Ultimately, the one thing I suggest a solo player avoid is setting the difficulty such that map clear times become unreasonably long. This may not matter for an AFK farmer, but it can be extremely tedious to work through "defeat all" maps at +4x8.

I usually don't go above x2 until I have some AoE, if I really don't have AoE then I will usually turn up the level if I want more of a challenge. I don't want to have to click a few single-target attacks 100+ times to clear a room.

There is a real balance, because larger spawn sizes will require more "survivability", whether that be more AoE damage, more Res/Def, more control.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

I set enemy level to whatever I can reliably hit. If it's +2 I run at +2. I don't want to miss. There is a combat attribute you can monitor called Last Hit Chance. I want mine to stay at 95%. This game can kill you unexpectedly sometimes, cascade failure and all that baloney if set too difficult, and bore you if set too easy.

I set my enemy amount higher if I have ample AoE to not make it a boring slog.

With that said, all my alts are different and have a wide variety of mission settings also based on how many debuffs I am facing. 

But like what others have already said, if you want to maximize XP gained to get through a rough spot, join in on a TF. If it's set too difficult just play conservatively. You'll still get your share of the XP.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

You're gonna get more xp out of having fun than trying to min-max difficulty in missions. A lot will depend on your character design. Some characters I have really excel with a single hard target while others do better with a lot of weaker targets. You'll need to fine tune your difficulty based on your character and playstyle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

if your goal is just getting as much exp per time as possible, you want to be fighting as many mobs as possible. Many lower-level mobs will be more rewarding than a few higher-level mobs (outside of cheesy EB farms anyway); they have a harder time hitting you and you do more dps by virtue of being able to aoe more.

assuming you can do -1x4, you will likely find that much faster leveling than 0/1x2; plus it's just way more fun to fight a dozen goons at a time, even if they're weak

• Thumbs Up 1

If you can kill fast and not die then go for +4. If you're leveling then don't go over +1. If you can handle x8 then do so as it usually just adds more lieutenants and minions who die fast. You want AoE for those though.

Depending on your build and if you buy amplifiers you should be able to go +1x8 from early on. My Tankers do that early and my latest Sentinel was soloing Yin at +1x8 by level 27. Which went fine because Storm Blast does a lot to keep a character alive. And then I got to Clamour who roflstomped me thanks to the debuffs and her (embarrassingly logical) insistence in not standing in my Category Five...

Edited by Sovera
  • Thumbs Up 1

Opinions will likely vary. After all - how many people actually write this stuff down while they're doing it? 
If it is XP you're after, and you want as much as possible in a given unit of time, then it's pretty clear: 

My level 16 stalker (with 2xp buff, and patrol xp) killed a level 16 minion on the streets of Steel Canyon - 130 xp. 
Same level 16 stalker killed a level 15 minion on the streets of Steel and got 103 xp. 

Things to consider: 

Size of the map
Your character's abilities
Story arc? Think about that story arc completion bonus. The ones in Striga and Croatoa - when I move my notoriety to +4 just after I complete the last mission of the arc, but before I call the contact, I get more than I would if I didn't boost up the notoriety. For me, sometimes, completing the missions as fast as possible works out to be more easy xp than otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You don't need a phd in mathematics to know that more is better -- a x is going to get you more bang for the buck than a +.  If xp is your goal, run x(as many as you can safely handle)

I'm sure there is a formula somewhere that will tell you if +2/x3 is better or worse than +1/x6, but more bodies = more xp = more drops.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

22 hours ago, DMBLaan99 said:

As others have iterated,  +4/8 is going to be mathematically the most exp potential for a mission.

However, as others has been saying to various degrees, its not the only variable that needs to be considered.  

As an example, are you focused on xp per hour?  If so then not only is the difficulty setting a factor but missions/mission types chosen, your AT/Power choices, downtime between missions(if much of any) and your playstyle/skill also going to be in recipe as contributing factors.

And this is just a simplistic example.  This is why it becomes a challenge, due to the way this game was made, to be able to give you any firm answer that is customized to your specific situation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2024 at 7:52 AM, KC4800 said:

I set enemy level to whatever I can reliably hit. If it's +2 I run at +2. I don't want to miss. There is a combat attribute you can monitor called Last Hit Chance. I want mine to stay at 95%

So, this seemed like a good idea, but I'm a bit puzzled as to what you do with this information when you get it. Pop a yellow? Reduce the difficulty? Slot for more accuracy and/or more toHit? Some combination of all three? 

I tend to monitor defense and resist and will use inspirations if I get debuffed lower than my comfort level - but other than yellows, not really sure what can be done mid-mission with this data. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a reminder, to me at least, to use some strategy. Change up game play. Pull the bad guys. Know which enemy is debuffing you, and kill him first. If the tactics cause you to slow down more than you want to, maybe you've set the level too high. Mid-mission, if I'm using some strategy I hadn't planned on, it's actually kinda fun. To beat the game when the odds are against you. I think its why I like my new Arsenal/Traps Controller. It's all strategy, using the powers in the correct order. Confuse them, poison them, make then freeze in one spot while TriCannon rips them to shreds, and oh the toe bombing chances are sweet.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Malta Sappers are my bane. They slow me down massively and resulted in quite a few hospital visits if I don’t plan properly so it also depends on who you are facing also. 

Edited by Two5boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I cannot solo a +4/x8 mission reasonably fast by my mid 40's, that toon either needs a respec or gets shelved.  That's just me.

That said, up to that level, I find +2/x5 for ST oriented AT's and +2/x8 to be the best XP per minute for just about all AT's minus maybe Controllers and Defenders.  If built offensively, even they work out fine that way.

The only time I'll do +0 or -1 is speedrunning a TF, like Heathers' Arc in DA.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is IMO a disadvantage with playing against critters that con below you... Many of them start taking knockback (from certain attacks). Scattering critters generally slows down clear times.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2024 at 11:49 PM, Sanguinesun said:

As an example, are you focused on xp per hour?

XP/time is the only measure which makes sense in the context of this thread.  It's not "better" XP if cranking up the diff would net you x8 the experience per mission but take you 10x the time to complete said mission.

And time is the thing we can't easily theory-craft on the forums as it depends on a full simulation of the combat and all factors involved.  Or to put it an easier way, "You just gotta play it." 🤪

• Thumbs Up 1

Normally I sometimes run at -1 Notoriety to get some missions/arcs done quickly and easily where I'm not that concerned about the XP but just getting it done.  Things like the Mender Ramiel arc to unlock Incarnate powers, many Flashbacks to get Badges, etc.

One thing to speed up XP gathering is to street sweep Green and Blue conning mobs in Zones.  That can be a slightly faster XP rate, but as usual, YMMV.

Edited by Jacke