Where is the "ice" faction?

I notice in City of Heroes there are a variety of factions that are sort of based on elements. Hellions are kind of based on the flame / demon aspect, Skulls are based on the darkness, Clockworks are sort of a mixture of the psyche and electricity, but I haven't really seen a group that is soley focused on the ice or snow element. Is there one currently or is it just the outcasts that have frost enemies? 

We need such a faction now.

I propose Absolute Zero, an ecoterrorist group dedicated to ending global warming by causing a new ice age that will push the human habitation range back to where it was when Neanderthals last walked the earth, and smack overpowered rad armor toons right in their resist hole. Muhahahha. Bwahahahahahahahaha! 

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Zect said:

We need such a faction now.

I propose Absolute Zero, an ecoterrorist group dedicated to ending global warming by causing a new ice age that will push the human habitation range back to where it was when Neanderthals last walked the earth, and smack overpowered rad armor toons right in their resist hole. Muhahahha. Bwahahahahahahahaha! 

While I personally hate the idea I think that it is wonderfully creative and would be great for CoH.  After all, my reaction is a recoiling from drama and uncomfortableness.  Perfect for storytelling 

Outcasts could have Two Bosses called "Chiller" (all ice-powers) and "Zero Chill" (firebased).

Frostfire is just small-time compared to Chiller.

There could be an Outcast-Storyline for levels 45-50 concerning these two.

One mission you fight Chiller alone.

He is quite reluctant to fight at first, and it is evident in the dialogue that he prefers to chill instead, but eventually will Fight the Team, bringing all his frosty minions.

The longer the fight takes, the colder its gets in the room.

For each 30 seconds of fighting (Chiller will try and Iceblock himself at least 3 times in this encounter so it could take a while), the Team suffers a Recharge and Movement penalty.

If you cannot defeat Chiller within a certain amount of time, it will become a slog, with people moving like they are on caltrops, and recharge of the powers being very very slow.

Finishing Chiller before he can Iceblock himself is main objective in this fight.

Another mission you fight Zero Chill alone.

He is very aggressive, attacks from the get-go and on sight with Fireballs, Firewalls and whatnot.

From the Speakers in the Boss-room you can hear a faint:

"I am the god of hell fire, and I bring you! Fire, I'll take you to burn. Fire, I'll take you to learn. I'll see you burn!"

The Team takes damage constantly each tick, and the Damage of the Burning room gets higher the longer the fight takes, so it is important to finish Zero Chill fast.

Finale

Then in the Grand Finale of the Story-Arc you face them both together, and the longer the fight takes in that Room, it becomes Hot and Steamy.

More and more Smoke/Steam will cover the room making it difficult to see for the Team, so the final fight will have a Time Limit of sorts.

The closer they are together, the quicker the rooms is covered in Steam, so it could be useful to try and keep them away from eachother.

Once the Steam is at max, they will be impossible to hit (only 5 % regardless of To Hit Buffs) so it is important to defeat them before it rises to that stage.

Edited by KITANYA
  • Like 4

Maybe these?

The Demons of Diabolique are demons commanded by Diabolique that are brought under the sway of her power as it has increased with her connection to the death god, Mot. They are among the forces sent against those who would challenge her self-imposed title of Death Incarnate during the Dilemma Diabolique Trial.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Demons_of_Diabolique

As an example

Minions

Shadow Demon

As she has grown in power, Diabolique has also increased her command in the depths of the shadow worlds beyond our own. Her personal forces have grown to include among them the ranks of the demons, including this Shadow Demon.

Powers

Ice Storm Ranged (Location AoE), High DoT(Cold), Foe -Recharge, -Speed
Shred your foes with this Ice Storm. This power deals a lot of damage in a large area and can Slow all affected targets movement and attack speed.

Frost Breath Ranged (Cone), High DoT(Cold), Foe -Recharge, -Speed
You are frozen by the Frost Breath. You are taking damage over time and your attack speed and movement speed are reduced.

Bitter Ice Blast Ranged, Extreme DMG(Cold/Smash), Foe -Recharge, -Speed, -ToHit
A slower yet more powerful version of Ice Blast, Bitter Ice Blast deals much more damage and can also reduce your enemy's Accuracy. Like other Ice Blast powers, Bitter Ice Blast can Slow a target's movement and attack speed.

Frost Sword Melee, Moderate DMG(Cold/Lethal)
The Hellstrike can summon an infernal sword that deals moderate lethal and cold damage.

Glacier PBAoE, Foe Hold, -Recharge, -Speed
You can freeze all foes around yourself in blocks of Glacial ice. The targets are frozen solid, helpless, and can be attacked. Even after the victims emerge, they remain chilled and their attack and movement speed is Slowed for a while. This power can only be cast near the ground.

Frozen Armor Toggle, Self Res( S24 L24 F8 C16 T16 )
While this power is active, you coat yourself in rock hard Frozen Armor. The hardness of the Frozen Armor offers good defense to Smashing and Lethal attack as well as reduces

Cold damage. Also, Fire attacks deal slightly less damage.

Resistance Auto, Res( F-20 C20 )

Lilitu's Horde are resistant to Cold Damage but vulnerable to Fire.

Edited by JasperStone
edited to add details

/e poofgone

Crey Researchers use Freeze Guns.  The Coralax Blue Hybrids have cold attacks.  Circle of Thorns Nerva Demons and Hordlings have ice based attacks as well as The Hellfrost which are totally ice based.

Let's introduce a rival faction within the Hellions that makes their pacts with the denizens of the fields of ice instead of the lakes of fire. They all have attacks that apply -recharge and -movement speed. Let's have them at around levels 4-8 or so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Blastit said:

Let's introduce a rival faction within the Hellions that makes their pacts with the denizens of the fields of ice instead of the lakes of fire. They all have attacks that apply -recharge and -movement speed. Let's have them at around levels 4-8 or so.

That would be a pretty wicked enemy group, especially when players are at their weakest in terms of movement and recharge values. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 3/24/2024 at 8:51 AM, Blastit said:

That would really be a nightmare at low levels, were you only have 2-3 powers anyway, and they can't recharge.  I suspect that's why there aren't any of those mobs.

Even at high levels, we don't see many cold enemies just because they'd be so difficult to deal with for the majority of players in a way that makes the game not fun to play.

• Like 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

I have never beaten my doppelganger before he kills me at least once. He even has the nerve to open with holds. We're something like 5-5.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 3/24/2024 at 11:44 AM, KITANYA said:

Frostfire is just small-time compared to Chiller.

this is where you lost me.

Frostfire is a signature boss. He is a distinct part of your learning curve as you break out from street level to SUPERhero

To relegate him to a "has been" is to denigrate the entire live game when running his mission was almost mandatory - unless you had the willing patience to street sweep four levels in Kings Row.

To introduce somebody up and above a guy who's literally fought tooth and nail to carve out his own niche in Paragon is super cheap and actually does the game and its lore no favours.

Frostfire is the best and worst of player characters. He offers hope and despair in equal measure and we have all beaten him down as individuals and he would come look for us because he needs to even the score.

Chiller... chiller offers nothing. Someone from nowhere, no history, no hard knocks. No understanding of our city or what it, and we have been through. And we've been through it, through thick and thin. We've fought, bitched, cried, supported, carried, helped, and won. Frostfire, in his own way has been with us.

Chiller is nothing. We spit on chiller, but if he comes back at us. We will ALL be waiting.

Frostfire will be with us.

• Microphone 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

17 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

this is where you lost me.

Frostfire is a signature boss. He is a distinct part of your learning curve as you break out from street level to SUPERhero

To relegate him to a "has been" is to denigrate the entire live game when running his mission was almost mandatory - unless you had the willing patience to street sweep four levels in Kings Row.

To introduce somebody up and above a guy who's literally fought tooth and nail to carve out his own niche in Paragon is super cheap and actually does the game and its lore no favours.

Frostfire is the best and worst of player characters. He offers hope and despair in equal measure and we have all beaten him down as individuals and he would come look for us because he needs to even the score.

Chiller... chiller offers nothing. Someone from nowhere, no history, no hard knocks. No understanding of our city or what it, and we have been through. And we've been through it, through thick and thin. We've fought, bitched, cried, supported, carried, helped, and won. Frostfire, in his own way has been with us.

Chiller is nothing. We spit on chiller, but if he comes back at us. We will ALL be waiting.

Frostfire will be with us.

I meant not as a character, but in power and skill-wise, since Chiller could have twice the abilities (at his lvl 50) than Frostfire. 🙂

Of course Frostfire is important for the Heroes path and in the grand scheme of things! 🙂

On 3/23/2024 at 10:33 PM, Snowbunny said:

I notice in City of Heroes there are a variety of factions that are sort of based on elements. Hellions are kind of based on the flame / demon aspect, Skulls are based on the darkness, Clockworks are sort of a mixture of the psyche and electricity, but I haven't really seen a group that is soley focused on the ice or snow element. Is there one currently or is it just the outcasts that have frost enemies? 

I think most groups are actually based on Origin.  So Hellions are Natural plus some Magic.  Skulls are the same, they just happen to specialized in Black Magic rather than Demons / Hell.  (I also think there's an aspect of "re-use whatever power-sets we already have made up.")  Clockworks (primal) look like they're Technology but they're actually Mutant (Psychic).  Crey is Science.  Sky Raiders are Technology.  Etc.  "Ice" tends to be magic (Circle of Thorns) or Science (Crey) or Mutant (Outcast) or whatever origin fits with what the devs wanted to do.  I don't think it's a group by itself, it fits into other groups (the Origins) as needed.

On 3/24/2024 at 10:52 AM, Glacier Peak said:

That would be a pretty wicked enemy group, especially when players are at their weakest in terms of movement and recharge values. 

For one SG (that... frankly was fairly overpowered) I'd written some AE arcs with a villain group of Time users.

With all *sorts* of -rech.

Wasn't so bad when *I* playtested it - smaller groups, after all - but when we had full teams vs full-team-size groups? Yeah... it was brutal. So it's not just a low level thing, if - let's say overdone. 🙂 You want to see your team standing and waiting, stack that -rech.

... hmm. Maybe I should throw an arc out there with that group...

• Microphone 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 3/24/2024 at 1:33 AM, Snowbunny said:

I haven't really seen a group that is soley focused on the ice or snow element.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Winter_Lord

Winter_Lord.jpg?20200508002602

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Winter_Horde

SnowBeast1.jpg?20200508001112

Frostling1.jpg?20200508000132

I know they aren't around all year long*, but the Winter Horde does seem to be an ice-based faction.

*Unless you put them in AE missions. Then you can fight them any time of year.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.