Being Selfish for 2% def

Ok this is a rant but bare with me

So you are on a team and 2 people have hover with really bright effects and persistantly hover at head height in caves and Orangebaga (intended).

And they scream it's for 45% def on posi 2.

And you can't see a thing and ask them to stop nicely.

Twice.

I just want to be able to see the mobs but you are being insufferable with your bright effect and ridiculous claims that hover gives 45% def (yes he said hover gives 45% def)

Is it to much to ask ?

Am i in the wrong here ?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 7
  • Banjo 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

...ok, so yes, it's unlikely you're softcapping def on Posi 2 with Hover (though not willing to rule out the possibility altogether)...

...and this game has too much color and light vomit for my tastes, which I wish I could turn down...

...but it's part of the game to the point that I think it makes more sense for you to adjust your gamma/brightness/contrast than to get mad at people for playing in a very ordinary way. It would be nice if they had changed how they played to accommodate you, and I don't think asking was unreasonable. I am sorry they screamed in response to your request. But your expectation of compliance with that request does seem unreasonable to me, sorry.

I recently finished an Adv. LGTF with my head trapped between someone else's thighs during the entire final boss fight, aerial collision/blocking is a really common annoyance intrinsic to the game's engine. 

Edited by Sunsette
  • Like 5

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

6 minutes ago, NatashaMalenka said:

Am i in the wrong here ?

No.

If you can't see the enemies then how are you expected to be able to play the game?

Hover doesn't give anyone 45% Defense, I don't believe that anyone can even have 45% Defense at such a low level and, if there's a Tank on the team it isn't needed anyway.

You're not in the wrong, your request was completely reasonable, and you should have kicked them from your team and then informed the rest of the team that you kicked them and why.

• Thumbs Up 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Thanks

i could of turned my effects down but i shouldn't have to do that to accommodate someone elses selfishenss.

They did say they wanted the Def for melee attacks.

only 1 was a controller and the other was a squishie i forget which.

Certain not melee toons.

• Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, NatashaMalenka said:

i could of turned my effects down but i shouldn't have to do that to accommodate someone elses selfishenss.

To be fair if one person turning on Hover is lighting your screen on fire then you should turn down effects a little. There's such a thing as over doing it.

Oh, and stop sending me nudes, Luminara.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

SO, one, hover isn't "Bright."  And it's very easy to see through the little effect it has. Yes, even in "dark" caves.  It's surprisingly even *easier* to see through if it's brightly colored - just took a peek at it after coloring it the brightest red and yellow I could find.

Two, you can move. Yes, even in the Caves of Bagel.

Three, you're aware you can ... hit tab and it'll select enemies, even tell you what they are? The only way that doesn't work is if you're hit with a "blinded" effect, which the COT doesn't have (and doesn't prevent you from targeting through allies) or they've gone invisible and you don't have +Per. Otherwise, it doesn't care if you can "see" or not.

Four, you're going "Only use the powers I say you can use!" and calling them selfish. So....

I think someone *was* being selfish on that, but it wasn't the people hovering. And I highly doubt they "Screamed" anything.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, NatashaMalenka said:

Ok this is a rant but bare with me

So you are on a team and 2 people have hover with really bright effects and persistantly hover at head height in caves and Orangebaga (intended).

And they scream it's for 45% def on posi 2.

And you can't see a thing and ask them to stop nicely.

Twice.

I just want to be able to see the mobs but you are being insufferable with your bright effect and ridiculous claims that hover gives 45% def (yes he said hover gives 45% def)

Is it to much to ask ?

Am i in the wrong here ?

you may be right.  however....

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you w ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StarseedWarrior said:

I dont know if this even applies anymore it seems many lack experience now days lol.

they go there when they insist they are right even though they know nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

This wasn't me! Maybe they wanted Hover on because they have the Kimset +6% ToHit slotted in it? That might make more of a difference on a Positron TF. Many of the enemies on Posi 1 and 2 have ranged attacks, so it isn't as if hover-blasting out of melee is doing much.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Hover doesn't give anyone 45% Defense, I don't believe that anyone can even have 45% Defense at such a low level and, if there's a Tank on the team it isn't needed anyway.

A Super Reflexes tank slotted with 3 Single Origin Defense enhancements in all their defenses will come very close (except for AoE).

• Like 2

I just don't get how Hover could be that disruptive.

I'm guessing they had some other aura on that was the real issue and that they were hovering where you were looking.

One thing I've learned over the years is to move my camera around, that little distance can help.

There's also an option for turning a lot of effects off close in, but haven't had the issue myself, but might be worth looking into.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I run into this quite often. Just because you *can* set your power effects to supernova neon yellow, pink, green, or red doesn't mean you *should*. Unfortunately the only recourse you have is to turn down particle effects. I've had to do it a few times. And yeah, it sucks. Having the option to turn down other player's effects but not your own would be amazeballs.

Depending upon your video card you might be able to play around with custom colors settings that would desaturate things a bit without having to reduce the particle effects. But honestly there is no great solution.

The only thing I can think is that people doing this have older machines with the graphics turned down and they don't see what we see. I teamed with someone whose bubbles were so bright I literally couldn't see a damned thing while inside Dispersion Bubble. The live devs didn't think this thru when they chose the custom color palettes. None of the custom colors should be as saturated as they are.

• Like 1

Suppress FX is your friend:

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/SuppressCloseFxDist_(Slash_Command)

(And I agree, it was probably a gaudy aura causing the eyestrain.)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

12 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Only works on your powers, not teammates'.

There is a suppress particle effects.  I used it once in RWZ ship raid.  I di not remember the command but it cleared a lot away. 

I've seen people do this with Hurricane running, and there's Water attacks that just turn my screen into basically static.

TAB is your friend, you'll probably make it through on that.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

truthfully I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who gives hover effects much mind. I'm wondering if the complaint about bright powers might not be inadvertently referring to some other power - Steamy Mist comes to mind as having quite a blurring effect if not modified carefully.

But although the OP has been given plenty of alternative options I do think it's important to avoid a pile on. There are many ways to play this game and dealing with FX in game are relatively simple so let's not get too hot under the collar. Aside from anything else I've no desire to see more shots of Luminara's shaven pussy, no matter how attractive some might find it.

Let's give the OP benefit of the doubt and presume they did not know of any potential fixes. Now they do and so next time can deal with similar situations without bother.

Let everyone play their own game!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

12 hours ago, tidge said:

This wasn't me! Maybe they wanted Hover on because they have the Kimset +6% ToHit slotted in it? That might make more of a difference on a Positron TF. Many of the enemies on Posi 1 and 2 have ranged attacks, so it isn't as if hover-blasting out of melee is doing much.

I thought the kismet worked no matter if you had the power on or not. It's probably good that I usually stick it into combat jumping.

This is so interesting to me. I've done Posi 2 a fair number of times on a team. I've teamed quite a bit in other scenarios, I promise. 
I have never, ever, ever not been able to see what I was doing because of any other player or their powers. I've had so many mobs packed in, I couldn't find a specific critter without a macro - like the KHTF. Hard to see Mary amidst all those witches. 

What's interesting, is I know the OP didn't just make up this story. It happened. So, what I'm interested in is how I can "see" what they were looking at. I know it's not anything we'd normally think about, but take a screenshot if this kind of thing happens again. It makes me wonder if what I see when I look at the screen is the same thing that everyone else sees. How much difference does a graphic card really make? I'm not about to make a second rig and load up two accounts and have them stand side-by-side just to see. 

But, to the OP's rant: Yes, you were being clearly unreasonable. I mean, there's no question about it. Turn off hover. Why? Because you can't see anything? My hover isn't what's making you not see anything. It's your camera distance. Granted, in a cave, it can be impossible to pan out, but if you change the angle - you can. We don't need to see the white's of Rollister's eyes to put a fire ball in 'em. We just need to target him. And, as we all know, cycling through Tab will do that. 

Sorry, OP. While I have no idea why anyone would want to hover in a cave (or anywhere else) when they can just use sprint or slide, or a jet pack, but it's a playstyle thing. I'm not going to turn off hasten or Arctic Fog, or my Combat jumping to appease someone else unless they have a reason better than "I can't see anything". 
There has to be some other issue here. I cannot fathom any power effect being so obnoxious as to impede the view for teammates. Maybe an Auro? I've seen some of those that were pretty bad. Never kept me from doing anything, tho. 

3 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Let's give the OP benefit of the doubt and presume they did not know of any potential fixes. Now they do and so next time can deal with similar situations without bother.

You perhaps haven't read the whole thread.  They've already said they could have turned off particle effects but believe they shouldn't have to because somehow it's "selfish" when other people don't agree to accommodate their needs.   The purpose of this thread is presumably to poll the rest of us about whether we think that's reasonable or not.

And I don't.  If I'm the only one having a problem and I have a way to resolve it that affects nobody but me... yes, I should do that.  It is clearly the best solution for everybody.  Demanding someone else change their gameplay to accommodate me when I clearly have another solution would be selfish on MY part.

But it's also just a good idea to have a VFX macro handy.  This is hardly the only situation where VFX can be overwhelming.  It is a common occurrence.  Having a macro or two to deal with it is good sense.  Like turning off screen shake in the bowl at an MSR.  The tools are there.  Use em.  You will find more than a few scenarios where they come in handy.

• Like 1