Being Selfish for 2% def

15 hours ago, Greycat said:

Three, you're aware you can ... hit tab and it'll select enemies, even tell you what they are?

Yeah this works but if your screen is still washed out in color from overused VFX vomit and you can't see anything, it does take something away from the fun of the game.  Sitting there just hitting table to whack unseen enemies buried under VFX isn't fun.

I don't think people should be kicked from teams for their use of colors and such, but I would love to see a way of turning down or even turning off completely the VFX of other players beyond the slash command we have now.

9 minutes ago, ZemX said:

You perhaps haven't read the whole thread.

Well perhaps you didn't read the OP: "hover with really bright effects and persistantly hover at head height in caves and Orangebaga"

Forget the bright effects for a moment. Let's say you're trying to play the game and my character is constantly hovering right at eye level in front of your character blocking your view. Now let's say there's two people doing that. In a tight cave so you can't move around to clear your view.

How long would you put up with that?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

17 hours ago, NatashaMalenka said:

I just want to be able to see the mobs but you are being insufferable with your bright effect and ridiculous claims that hover gives 45% def (yes he said hover gives 45% def)

Is it to much to ask ?

Am i in the wrong here ?

People really need to understand that they are ruining other players play experience.

I really hate all-white FX. It is just rude. My eyes can't take it. They might as well be shining a spotlight at my eyes intentionally.

you might see some trying to sell you on supressfx and what not, but that isn't going to do it.

what you need is 

/macro fx0 "noparticles 1"

/macro fx1 "noparticles 0"

The first one turns the particles off immediately.

The 2nd one turns the particles back on, but it doesn't return them completely until you zone.

You can't see your effects either, but you definitely can see the enemies on most teams.

Warning: there are still some FX you will see.

Warning: when the particles are turned off, you can't see the bubbling goo in the last part of DFB. (One would think that you wouldn't have to turn of VFX in there, but sometimes ... someone just has to make all their powers as white as possible! My eyes! argh!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

11 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Suppress FX is your friend:

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/SuppressCloseFxDist_(Slash_Command)

(And I agree, it was probably a gaudy aura causing the eyestrain.)

Suppress doesn't solve the problem.

noparticles does!

• Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

14 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Forget the bright effects for a moment. Let's say you're trying to play the game and my character is constantly hovering right at eye level in front of your character blocking your view.

I can honestly say that's never happened to me.  Not the "constantly" part at least.  Also, one couldn't just float in front of my character.  I am in 3P camera so they'd have to be some distance behind me and always moving with me.  It just never happens more than coincidentally and in a blue cave or Oranbega map having camera obscured is a constant and random occurrence throughout the map.  Not just with players but with geometry and with enemies.   That's to say nothing of all the particle effects from everything.  

I deal with it by moving.  Sometimes in an absolutely choked Oranbega hallway I will just TP my tanker into the middle of a pack blind and just start rattling off attacks on whatever target is nearest in front of me.  Often I can't even see them.

Ultimately, if someone in the team is somehow annoying me with something they are doing, I am more likely to move on politely after a mission than bother attempting to get them to do things more to my liking.  I wouldn't want someone else thinking they know better how I should play so I don't "do unto others" in that respect either.

Even when I'm right. 😈

• Thumbs Up 1

Have I run into people with effects so bright or distracting they make it hard to play? Yes, absolutely, I think we all have.

Is it their job to change their costume or turn off their toggles just to suit me? Absolutely not.

I can just swing my camera or move my player or use "/noparticles 1" if it's really THAT MUCH of a bother. I am not at liberty to police someone else's character design choices when I have more than enough options to work around it myself.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Left 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

Don't think I've ever been in a situation where I couldn't see stuff because of someone's flashy particle effects unless I was playing in first person or something. In the case of Hover some builds revolve around using it else they're useless and die in a few hits.

Actually one of my chars has the flame/fire effect that trails behind like 30ft looks so cool. When I'm flying I can't see shit, but it's worth it because it looks awesome, drip or drown.

Edited by Latex
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Now let's say there's two people doing that. In a tight cave so you can't move around to clear your view.

I can safely say that even in council caves full of MMs, I've never really had an issue with not being able to see or target enemies. (Reaching them as melee, yes). But by the time it's that full, they're probably pretty dead anyway.

There is a lot of room to adjust camera angles.

I am sympathetic to the fact that other people have different eyesight/situations than me, but I really don't see how that adds up to teammates using powers in their ordinary, intended fashion being "selfish".

• Thumbs Up 1

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Aside from anything else I've no desire to see more shots of Luminara's shaven pussy, no matter how attractive some might find it.

You prefer a little fuzz.  I get that.

feature-5.png

• Haha 6
  • Moose 1
  • Microphone 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Let's say you're trying to play the game and my character is constantly hovering right at eye level in front of your character blocking your view. Now let's say there's two people doing that. In a tight cave so you can't move around to clear your view.

Are we talking cute butts, or ugly butts?

Relevant details are relevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, also, on-topic, were I in a similar situation, I'd address it by saying, "Move, fuck-nugget."  If that failed to resolve the issue, I'd shove my virtual boot up the offending party's literal ass.

Assert yourself.  The worst that can happen is he/she won't play with you any more.  Win-win.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Luminara said:

You prefer a little fuzz.  I get that.

feature-5.png

Actually I prefer a landing strip but christ only knows what kind of image you'd come up with then!

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Simply, if you dislike over the top, light vomit graphics that take over your entire screen - city of heroes is not the game for you. 

I don’t think any group I’ve ever been in over the last 20 years has been any different and all of the effects are intrusive. 

That’s the game - nobody should turn any powers off for you - move on. 

• Thumbs Left 1

This is a sticky wicket, because I can see two sides here.  The question is:  is OP's experience and preferred gameplay more important than the hoverer's experience and preferred gameplay?  I didn't really read the encounter as trolling.  So, I say no, this is a case of two individuals with equal rights who are in opposition.  OP asked; hoverer declined.  In my experience, unless you are able and willing to force someone else against their will into conforming to you, that's pretty much all you can do.

I used to get uptight at having to go to Null the Gull to make sure that people on my team couldn't boost me in ways I didn't want when all I should have to do is ask them once to not give me a boost and then they would never do so again!  And yeah, I realized pretty quickly that was foolish.

So in my opinion no one's a jerk here, but I would probably have either left the team or turned my graphics down, because getting someone else to do something that they don't want to do generally doesn't work out so well.

Unless it's getting more pussycat pictures.

• Like 4

Who run Bartertown?

If you are the leader of the team, you're within your rights to set the terms for people to be on your team. Tell them it's really bothering you and ask them nicely to stop, and if they decline, you can ask them to drop or boot them. If it's someone else team, you can still ask them nicely, and if they decline, you can put up with it or drop from the team. In both cases be polite about it. You could give a quick one-liner explaining, if this feels better, but in my experience, the less specific you are the better. "Sorry folks, but I absolutely have to drop, good luck."

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is to argue about it with the team.

Maybe some folks would think you're being unreasonable, but that's your choice for your play experience.

• Like 4

It's best to check how to turn off the graphics (which you now know) than to go around asking each person that's bothering you to stop using their powers.

If now you know how to turn off the graphics and you insist they should be the ones to turn off their powers then the label Karen applies.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Well perhaps you didn't read the OP: "hover with really bright effects and persistantly hover at head height in caves and Orangebaga"

Forget the bright effects for a moment. Let's say you're trying to play the game and my character is constantly hovering right at eye level in front of your character blocking your view. Now let's say there's two people doing that. In a tight cave so you can't move around to clear your view.

Forever. If it bothers me, I'll move in front of them, which would be really easy to do because they're using hover.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There isn't even a chatlog or screenshot of the offending sfx, so nobody can really tell who's being unreasonable. If it was the other side's story that got told, no doubt the post would've been about how some jerk in a posi 2 had the temerity to loudly and rudely demand you use/not use your powers, just because they didn't like the look of them despite your right to enjoy power customization, and all the people loudly defending the OP would be fighting for the other side instead.

Anyway, here's my take: If I actually find you worth playing with, I really don't mind making some gameplay changes to accomodate you. I'm not going to worry about if it's intentional or not since despite my vast intellectual prowess and sex appeal, ESP is not among my super powers. If I don't find you worth playing with or if no reasonable middle ground can be agreed upon, then we just shrug and part ways: groups are a dime a dozen and nobody is really missing out on anything. And that's what both parties in this case should have done.

P.S. in an oranbegan tunnel nobody can see shit, effects or no effects, hover or no hover.

Edited by Zect
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2024 at 11:24 AM, UltraAlt said:

Suppress doesn't solve the problem.

noparticles does!

You are correct, sir, thanks!

Apologies for the misinfo.

Suppress helps when I've been making myself go blind.*

* Mom warned me that was a risk.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)