Please stop moving badge locations

Sooooo... don't look at those channels?

I don't get why they were changed either. Honestly more annoyed at the "have patrol XP for it" than any location swaps, though.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 minute ago, Major_Decoy said:

I disagree: Entirely randomize badge location every server day. Every time the sun sets, the badges move to a new location. You can now only find badges by accident or exploration tips.

Start having them just move around so you'll have to chase them down.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, lemming said:
4 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

I disagree: Entirely randomize badge location every server day. Every time the sun sets, the badges move to a new location. You can now only find badges by accident or exploration tips.

Start having them just move around so you'll have to chase them down.

Have the explore badge markers get up and start running away when the players get too close. And when they aren't being chased by players, they just randomly get up and change locations anyway. 😛

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Greycat said:

I don't get why they were changed either. Honestly more annoyed at the "have patrol XP for it" than any location swaps, though.

Rookie and Silent Sentinel were swapped so that new Heroes were much more likely to find a badge out of the gate (which now has a popup explaining what they are and nudging you toward Long Range Teleport), as otherwise the nearest badge was Top Dog which isn't immediately obvious and can't just be walked over to.  Compared to Villains and Praetorians who are practically guarenteed to find The Next Big Thing going to the Arbiter or Civic Minded when heading to Marauder.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

5 hours ago, Rudra said:

Have the explore badge markers get up and start running away when the players get too close. And when they aren't being chased by players, they just randomly get up and change locations anyway. 😛

We're not going far enough.

The mapserver event has shown that mapservers can gain sentience and go rogue. What's stopping exploration badges from going rogue and hunting players instead?

I think having a 48 player league requirement for someone to claim an exploration badge is exactly the kind of socialization this game REALLY needs.

• Haha 9

Aspiring game designer and minotaur main.

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

My collection of powerset suggestions - open to comments and feedback!

Make the game more obtuse to new players, make badges transform into enemies with stats that scale based on the number of empty slots or SO's in the build.  This scaling power is disabled by having all of your slots filled with any other category of Enhancement.  Send it.

Top Dog has defeated Jimothy Jambles

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

11 hours ago, CrusaderDroid said:

I think having a 48 player league requirement for someone to claim an exploration badge is exactly the kind of socialization this game REALLY needs.

Give the badges high mag mez resistance, set them to be attackable only when mezzed, and FINALLY we have something to make Controllers truly useful in the modern game!

• Haha 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 4/12/2024 at 2:38 AM, ZorkNemesis said:

Rookie and Silent Sentinel were swapped so that new Heroes were much more likely to find a badge out of the gate (which now has a popup explaining what they are and nudging you toward Long Range Teleport), as otherwise the nearest badge was Top Dog which isn't immediately obvious and can't just be walked over to.  Compared to Villains and Praetorians who are practically guarenteed to find The Next Big Thing going to the Arbiter or Civic Minded when heading to Marauder.

I'd think the one atop City Hall would be easier to get to and I was able to get it with Athletic Run.

That said, the move didn't bother me personally, but it did surprise me 😛

All the others seem to be in place to where they were.

It's always a royal pain updating to the new Vidiot Maps, so I'll support this suggestion.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 4/12/2024 at 1:38 AM, ZorkNemesis said:

The should have just done this:

Entering the game:  Earns enter the game badge.

Earning the first badge:  The Badge Badge.

Having two badges:  This is the trifecta badge.

• Haha 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

This discussion is a little absurd, but all in good fun. But I do believe there's a kernel of a good idea here.

Once completing all the exploration badges in a zone, you can't get any more tips that point you toward new ones. Obviously, because there aren't any more.

However, the mechanic of "exploring for patrol EXP" is a good mechanic because it provides value for people who like to wander the city.

I propose adding a new mechanic after the final badge has been completed where a new "badge" spawns randomly somewhere on the map, and the player is given a task to go find it. Upon reaching it's location, they are rewarded with some patrol exp, and automatically given the task of finding the next one. Essentially the same functionality as the tip system, but genericized.

I believe this would encourage players to spend more time in the world where they are visible to other players, rather than hiding behind closed mission doors. At least, it'll make it a little less painful for the players who do. The current system works great for this, but it's limitation is that the supply of exploration badges in each zone is finite - adding a randomized exploration task would allow for the benefits of the current system to continue applying even after the zone has been explored by the player.

• Thumbs Down 1

I also have no idea why the HC team goes back and makes these seemingly pointless changes. 

I'd rather they focus on adding new stuff and stop revamping things that're somewhat trivial. Maybe I'm wrong here....I dunno. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 11:32 PM, Major_Decoy said:

C'mon, the posters forum name is Major_Decoy.  How can you give a thumbs down for this reply?  😁

• Like 1

Even better, collaborate with Archipelago, the multi-game randomizer. So sometimes you have to find your exploration badges in DarkSouls 2, or Link to the Past.

(this is a joke, please understand)

Edited by A.I.D.A.
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Let's just say I am unsympathetic to the "Let the stuff move around" crowd.

They're exploration badges.  Not bughunt badges.

You're missing the point. No one is actually advocating for badges to be moved, let alone so aggressively, we're just having fun.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "mover" to "moved".
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, A.I.D.A. said:

Even better, collaborate with Archipelago, the multi-game randomizer. So sometimes you have to find your exploration badges in DarkSouls 2, or Link to the Past.

(this is a joke, please understand)

Brilliant. Please give us SIR GIDEON OFNIR, THE ALL-KNOWING as a mission contact to find an exploration badge for our 48 player league in Ohio Caelid, and once we reach the badge after fighting our way through the gnarliest enemies you can accidentally access, it transforms into a massive dragon that spreads rot everywhere.

Does it even matter at that point that all we get is some patrol exp and one badge? Queue me up for this task force every day.

Aspiring game designer and minotaur main.

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

My collection of powerset suggestions - open to comments and feedback!