Is your old favourite AT still your favourite AT?

Legree

Since that wonderful, undreamt of day when City of Heroes came back I've let my altitis run wild - as I did on live.  Some old characters I never played as much as I'd have liked have recreated - some with their original primary/secondary, others with new ones (new to me at least) that fit them better, and many new characters have joined them.

The funny thing is that while I did recreate my original 50s - redside thugs/poison MM and blueside Claws/SR scrapper - I've barely played them.  Not only that but MMs used to be my goto AT and yet I find that they are just not clicking with me now, and I'm spending far more time on ATs I rarely if ever played on live - defenders, dominators and khelds being the big three.

Anyone else finding that their old favourite AT, or even favourite main character, just isn't now?

My favorite AT was Tanker and it still is today. My recreated main is even a little bit better than he originally was with some added tweaks/improvements. And I still love playing him. But what surprised me is how much I really like Sentinels. That AT has rocketed up to a close second nearly overtaking Tankers as first place in my heart.

Winteriel Ice/Fire/Nrg Tanker | @Scranker Global

I've only recreated two of my original live characters.  That's a SS/WP Brute and Mind/Psi Dom.  Those happen to be my favorite power combos from their respective AT's.  I also got their names locked in pretty early.  I feel if I didn't do it, I'd regret it. ;)

I have used the same names of other characters I had previously but I have done either variants within the AT or gone a different direction entirely.  I had a Bane that I invested heavily in, rifle one not mace, and while the new version is an homage I plan to go Crab.  My old Fortunata is now a Widow. 

I have an Illusion/Radiation Controller, again, but I didn't remember the name or the concept.  So now he is something completely new plus he uses Sorcery.  I've converted a few old Dominator concepts into Controllers.  Mostly because there were aspects of the Secondary I remembered not liking, and some of the new sets fit conceptually.  Like my Plant/Nature Controller works more for what I wanted. 

I had an old Sonic/Sonic Corruptor because I liked Red Side back in the day.  That is now a Defender on Blue side.  That's not the only one like it either.  I've basically swapped all my Corruptors to Defenders now.  That's mostly because I never gave the new inherent a real chance and my overall tastes have changed.  Since I find I don't solo much, if at all, Defenders and their glory of heavy debuffs are exactly what I want in those characters. 

I've been spending a lot of time playing Stalkers and Sentinels.  Sentinels probably the most.  There are weapon sets like Dual Pistols/Assault Rifle I never took very far.  That was largely due to re-draw.  Well, not only is that not an issue anymore, I can play an AT with less activity in the secondary on top of it. 

My original favorite AT was Scrapper.  I haven't re-made my first 50 which was Dark/Dark Scrapper or even my first big alt which was a Dark/Dark Defender.  I think, sadly, my original "main" will be forever retired to the dust bin of history even if I am still a Dark-set fan boy.  I have a Dark Miasma/Dual Pistols Defender in the works, but the original D/D 'fender suits better as a Dark/Dark Dominator (which I never played that combo). 

Alt-itis has been a problem. 

In most games, I'm more into melee than shooting/blasting. Most of my chars in CoH are Scrappers or Tankers... or the off Stalker.

However... I'm really digging the new Sentinel. It hasn't really become my favourite, but it's coming close.

I'm right there with you, OP.  My two favorite characters were a Kinetics/Archery defender and an Illusion/Empathy controller, and I haven't even tried to re-create them here.

Part of that is my tastes were changing towards the end of live.  I had discovered tanks and brutes after avoiding them for so long, and then I took a walk on the wild side with a couple of blasters and never really looked back.  My current Dual Pistols/Energy blaster is becoming my new main.

Another part is that I kind of felt like I'd seen and done it all with my two former mains.  They were in their 40s, I had no urge to get them to 50, and teaming with them actually started to feel a bit stale - no new rotations, no scary surprises, no more by-the-skin-of-our-teeth victories.  I felt like their peak time had been 22 to 38, and it was time to retire.

Still, I'd like to try other defenders, corruptors, controllers, or dominators - I just haven't settled on a good backstory for any of 'em.  And I'd really, really like to do more with my Street Justice/Willpower scrapper, but my blaster keeps calling me...

Old Favorite: Mastermind

New Favorite: Mastermind

So, um, "yes" ...?  :)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

My old favorite AT turned out to be Tanker.  When COV came out, Mastermind supplanted it.  Now that we're back, I've found that while my favorite AT of all is still Mastermind, Brutes have edged out Yankers for second place, and I'm spending more time with other ATs that I never messed with on live, like Controllers or even a Fortunata that I'm enjoying quite a bit.

I don't really have a favorite AT anymore.

Used to be brutes, and I do still love brutes.. I just also love pretty much all the other ATs as well. I am more or less "main"ing a scrapper right now, if I am capable of having a main, used to not be able to stand scrappers.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Blasters are still very much my thing. Played them literally to death back in the days. Then again, Blasters were given much needed love since then so it feels new and fresh playing an AT that doesn't faceplant at the drop of a hat. :) 

Tankers are still my favorite AT.  I have also come to love Brutes as well, with my first SJ/RAD Brute going to town and devestating his first 12 levels with suprising ferocity.  Scrappers and Sentinels are definitely an a+ for me as well.  So many toons to try...

My favourites changed so many times during the years the game was live: First Blasters, then Defenders, then Controllers, then Scrappers, then Brutes.

Now top of the List (never thought this would happen): Stalker, followed by Corrupter and Controller

My favorites tend to change with what I am in the mood to play long term, but overall, I'd say that when the original run of the game was over, Scrappers were my thing.  These days, it's shifted greatly to Dominators.

What was no more, is REBORN!

I'm approaching 150 alts, and I like all of them so far.

I've re-created my old characters, and I like them as well.

That said, I think Scrapper probably still best suits my most-frequently preferred playstyle.

But diversity is the spice of life.

The number one thing in my book that makes me like a character is lack of frustration.  Tankers mean lack of frustration for me.  The original Heraclea was Inv/SS, because she was rolled in i1.  New Heraclea is Inv/Dark Melee, because my i23 experience is that this combination was even stronger.  And she can be expected to have changed after spending seven years in the Underworld.

I am remaking most of my favorite concepts, but usually with changes.  Many of the changes combine two i23 favorites.  I23 Betsy Ross was a joke character made for a 4th of July costume contest.  There never was a particular reason why she should be a Spines/WP scrapper.  One of her heirs is now a Bio/Spines tanker, Catrina Calaveras, who on an archeological dig received superpowers and a mission from the Aztec gods to Kill Skuls.  Betsy's patriotic and colonial American costumes were inherited by Mother of Vinegar, water/WP sentinel, who also is going to be built around a plan using slow procs for team utility and survival. 

Grandma Gnosis, ill/emp in i23, is back, but merged with William Shakespeare, rad/archery, who was rolled in the brief moment that the Bard AE account badge was available; she is now ill/rad.  Maiden Heaven is back unchanged as a fire/regen scrapper; she was and will be my lowbie TF merits farmer. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

My original favourite AT was a mix of Scrapper and Tank, and converged on a high damage output Tank built around EM and Invuln. 

I sympathize with the above posters points about frustration.  Frustration kills characters for me.

For me, the largest source of current frustration in the game is meeting an AV in a story arc the way a sentence meets a period.  Sure, I could set it to 'Elite Boss' and carry on, but 'Superthor can't beat up Thanocide even if Thanocide /afks because Superthor doesnt hit hard enough to hurt him' was immersion-wrecking for me, and so my favorite has slid from Tank into Brute, and is slipping off towards Scrapper (depending on how tough I can make my Scrapper and how damaging I can make my Brute).

I thought I would love Sentinel - I always wanted a more offense/defense balanced blast character - but they just arent capturing me to play.

So, maybe fair to say that my favourite AT was, and remains, Melee - just different Melee ATs, and different powersets.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

I started with Scrappers, I tried a few Tanks, but they seemed to weak when it came to damage output.

Then they came out with an AT that rewarded Scrapperlock?

I was in heaven!

I have a balance of about 60/40 percent Brutes/Scrappers. My Brutes I play like heavy Scrappers. I love it.

Another part is that I kind of felt like I'd seen and done it all with my two former mains.  They were in their 40s, I had no urge to get them to 50, and teaming with them actually started to feel a bit stale - no new rotations, no scary surprises, no more by-the-skin-of-our-teeth victories.  I felt like their peak time had been 22 to 38, and it was time to retire.

That sense of 'been there, done that' is definitely a factor for me.  I still enjoy the individual powersets, just not in those combinations, because broadly speaking I know how they play out against most enemies.  What may tempt me back to them one day is that they were originally levelled before the changes to notoriety settings, and from time to time I wonder how they'd do on missions set higher than Invincible/Relentless.

For me, the largest source of current frustration in the game is meeting an AV in a story arc the way a sentence meets a period.  Sure, I could set it to 'Elite Boss' and carry on, but 'Superthor can't beat up Thanocide even if Thanocide /afks because Superthor doesnt hit hard enough to hurt him' was immersion-wrecking for me, and so my favorite has slid from Tank into Brute, and is slipping off towards Scrapper (depending on how tough I can make my Scrapper and how damaging I can make my Brute).

Both of my mains ran at +2/x2 (as high as it could be set back then) from somewhere in their mid-20s, and did both beat the first AVs they ran into, which I think was around level 40.  But in both cases I did find it a bit of a slog, and that was with levelling up mid-mission so I had a +1 level advantage over them, and after that I would drop the setting so I would be facing an EB instead.  I was a bit reluctant to do so, so I can appreciate your position, but I've always considered AV-soloing more of an art in itself than something any, or even most, characters should be able to do.

I don't think I had a "favorite AT" back in the day.  As measured in "ATs I had the most of at 50," I guess it would be Brutes and Doms. I've made a few Brutes, but I've barely touched Dominators yet.

Then as now, I had what I call "alt-crushes", just my term for whoever I was most jazzed to play, and it flipped around a lot.  Still does.  My current one is for my Elec^2 Sentinel, but I bet that'll change if you ask me again in a week.