recreating old heroes versus new.

Schreg

I remade my main character just a little.  When I originally created him, he used Energy Melee, because it was a fast cycling powerset.  Energy Melee was then changed to be a little slower after he was higher than I wanted to reset.

I really feel you on this one.  I had an Energy Melee Brute alt that became one of my faves and then quickly melted away after those changes.  Also, an early main of mine was an Ice/Energy Blaster and when Ice Blast got normalized it didn't feel like the same toon any more.

I recreated the Ice/Eng Blaster and my old main Invulnerable/Super Strength Tank as a SS/Inv Brute and been loving it.  Also made a new Robot/Time Mastermind on blue side for new fun!

I am remaking many of my favorite characters, but with revisions.

Heraclea was purely thematic in i1: an invulnerability/super strength tanker.  If I were going for pure concept she probably would have been a super strength/super reflexes scrapper; that was not an option.  Then ED happened and it became no longer feasible to omit Rage from the build. I never took it before: not right for the character, and instead I just four slotted damage back in the days of SOs.  Concept conflicted with game mechanics.  Later, after i12 enabled the combination, I made a replacement tanker named Omphale, Invulnerability/Dark Melee. I liked this combination a whole lot; and this was my go-to character for tanking Master runs.  So now Heraclea is Inv/DM. 

The same thing happened to my controller, Grandma Gnosis.  She was Ill/Emp in 2012; now she's Ill/Rad.  I find it more fun playing when your targets are enemies rather than allies.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I've been recreating old characters.  I might change the powers for some purely on account of what was available when I made them.  Honestly I've been so happy to play CoH again I haven't even considered where I was then vs now, I just want my mains to be where they were when I left off and pick up from there.  I saved the builds for a few, the costumes for many, and what I didn't I have screenshots for.  All the conceptually interesting characters and the ridiculously silly ones.

At some point I'll make genuinely new characters, but right now I'm riding the nostalgia high for all its worth.

I have remade my main characters that got the most game play (trying to cut down on my altitis).

Fixxer: Originally Empathy/Elect Defender... now Empathy/Ice - liking it much better than electric

Burnt Toast: Fire/Time Corruptor - remains the same

Burnt Reynolds: Originally a SS/Fire Brute - now a Fire/NrG Sentinel

Eartha Kitt: Original named Tara Bull - Earth/Kin Controller

Trixxie: Same name and powers: TA/Archery Corruptor

Shrieker: Originally a Rad/Sonic Defender - now a Sonic/Ninjitsu Sentinel ---History.... originally named "Ima Moaner" but I was genericed and had to change names. A friend of mine had a sonic toon (named Shrieker) but did not like the set so he let me take the name.

Fu Fighter: Originally a MA/Willpower scrapper - now a MA/Ninjitsu scrapper

Bubble Yum: Forcefield/Nrg Defender - Originally named - Boom Boom Betty

I have not remade my Water/Dark Corruptor (Bad Wetter) - BUT I know I won't be using that name IF I decide to redo the character.

Personally, I'm planning to go more with new characters than bringing back old ones.  Most of the ones I'd want to bring back had some strong RP attachments to other people - folks who may not necessarily be here - and I'd rather not have to deal with retconning a whole mess of stuff to make it work.

Plus there's a boatload of power sets I never got around to trying, so.  Might as well have an excuse to do that, right?

I had one character -- Pakfront, an AR/EM Blaster that was the first character I'd created when I started the game back in early May of 2004; at shutdown, she was in the bowl of the Rikti mothership in the middle of a ship raid, playing as if the game was going to continue forever -- that I felt obligated to recreate. Others I've picked and chosen from my roster of characters, tweaking them as needed; a couple that had Praetorian origins that I didn't want to fumble through goldside again got reworked backgrounds as heroes, and a couple that had started as villains but gone blueside had the same done to them.

I didn't have this dilemma so much because I loved my main character. I made other ones but I never really played them and they never reached max level. So when the time came to create my first hero I went for the very same one but as I was finishing the costume (which I still knew how to complete just off the top of my head) it felt old and classic. So instead of creating a new one, I just changed his look a bit and gave it a more modern touch as if 6 years had passed since the last time he was seen. My old char now has a beard, looking more like a man and less like a boy and the classic "around the eyes" mask was replaced by modern looking lenses. The rest remained pretty much the same with a little retouch here and there (what was yellow is now more golden, the oval belt buckle is now square). To everyone facing that dilemma I think you should try that trick: designing how your character would look 6 years after the last time he was seen. Maybe nothing changed, maybe he got new gadgets, maybe he took on a darker look because something bad happened to him... roleplay it even if you're not into RP ;)

I still had tons of screen shots and bios, so i opted to recreate my most beloved characters. Some of the power sets i slightly modified from the old game, but very happy to see them again on screen.

Dr. Demoriel - Protector Server

I've recreated my first and main, my namesake character, but probably won't do the same with my other characters.  They've all moved on in their stories, and while playing this one is pleasantly familiar, it's also weird at times - do I pretend it's a reboot, or that she has history, or what?

I've reused the names and rejigged the backstory for the characters on the new servers to be alternate universe versions, with the same AT but slightly different sets other than my AR/energy blaster has evolved to be a PB,

I based a lot of my old characters on the lore so when I came back to the game I had to rediscover several aspects. So a small handful of characters have been recreated from live otherwise I’ve been experimenting with the new power combinations and especially trying Sentinel.

My original main, C'len - a Claws/Invuln scrapper back when claws had bad animations and unyielding rooted you - had fallen by the wayside long before the servers went down.  Shes a Bio/Spines tank now - languishing a bit - but the sets 'fit' the concept better (Bio/Claws would have worked okay, too - but I wanted the spines to make aggro easier)

My 'real' main, H E R O, an Invuln/EM tank, got reborn as Invuln/DM.  Energy Melee just lost too much of what made it enjoyable to me when they put the baseball pitch animation on Energy Melee (a move that to this day I think has more to do with Stalkers and PvP than anything else - the change made EM a 'meh' set).  Recolored Dark Melee gives me more tools for PvE, and is faster and more fluid than modern Energy Melee.

Ive also got a raft of Sentinels eating up time - their all just examples of 'moderately survivable with energy blasts' that was the one thing I wanted to do and couldnt in old COH.

So - some rerolled, some recreated, and some new beginnings

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

I have only made one NEW character, a Nature Affinity user since I was still trying to come up with a concept for one when the game closed and never got to really use it outside of the Test Server.

Besides that one, I've just been remaking old characters, but several with new/changed powersets that I kind of wanted to reroll them with years ago anyway, but didn't want to lose the time I had invested in them. WELP...

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

I have only made one NEW character, a Nature Affinity user since I was still trying to come up with a concept for one when the game closed and never got to really use it outside of the Test Server.

Besides that one, I've just been remaking old characters, but several with new/changed powersets that I kind of wanted to reroll them with years ago anyway, but didn't want to lose the time I had invested in them. WELP...

XitMkxo.png

I'm out.

I can't bring myself to simply remake my old toons, I had so many and a lot of them were 50's with so much time put into them. I also look at it as a rebirth of sorts so I decided the best approach, for me, was to look at this as a comic style reboot. New origins and power sets that better fit them. Which is nice, since so many set became available after the orignal rolls of these characters. Some toons that were little used alts or newer concepts are just getting rerolled as they were. And I've had a few new ideas as I always do. Stuff like a next generation of my older heroes and villains, aged versions etc.

A few:

Eagle Eyes- was Archer/Devices Blaster and is now an Archer/Tactical Arrow Blaster

Throwdown Kid- was MA/Regen now Street Justice/Reflexes- a much better fit for the concept

Helta Skelta- was Fire/Ice corrupter is now an Ice/Fire Armor Sentinel which is just a perfect fit for her

Sludge Pump- was a water/ rad corrupter and is now water/poison

Overall, I'm just so glad to have my game back.

Definitely encountered the same dilemma.

My main on Infinity was actually a character I created as an homage to a friend who committed suicide. I decided not to recreate that character as I think recreating it would be a disservice in a way . . . hard to explain.

I may recreate other old toons, but not that one.

I recreated my main, Aerianne Connor, because she was the only character I had back in the day.  If anything, I had plenty of alts planned but never released, but now have an opportunity to do so!

I recreated Nanashi, my Stalker. Only, when I stopped playing Psionic Melee was not out yet. So prior to that Issue, Nanashi was Kinetic Melee and Ninjitsu. This time around he's Psi-Melee/Ninjitsu because I have him looking like Ermac from Mortal Kombat 9 right now haha

Most of the characters I enjoyed I enjoyed because of their power sets so I'll probably end up recreating most of them at one point or another. For me powerset trumped character, I had several cases where I really liked the character but the powerset just didn't gel for me so I never really enjoyed them. In at least one case I liked the concept but found the powerset unappealing so I ended up rerolling them as a different AT to get a powerset that felt better (they went from an Earth/Storm/Fire Controller to an Earth/Fire/Cold Dominator).

Defender Smash!

I still have a spreadsheet detailing the names and powersets of all 128 characters I had. I'll likely recreate some of them over time, but most will probably remain RIP.

My main, Doctor Gemini, was originally an Inv/SS tanker because that was the closest to the character concept I could do. SS/Inv brute fits him better so that's what his recreation is.

I've recreated a couple of old characters, only with slightly updated looks and different names. Then I've got a couple of new ones too, including a shameless port of my main character from my first Kenshi playthrough (Not counting the ones that died almost immediately).