Open letter to blasters

Lusiphur Malache

I'm a blaster, no matter what AT I'm playing it's with my blaster mentality. Lately I've been trying out stalkers and brutes. 

It is a pain for me as a melee toon to run across a cave,room,or sewer to hit something, only to have a bolt from the blue either kill my target or push it farther away.

Remember, I'm always a blaster and most of you are also, how upset would you get if over and over you didn't get to shoot your shot.

Let the melee players hit something regularly, they'll feel good and you'll feel good too.

No.  I must kill all the things, all the time.  No kills for you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

You are not going to change other's behavior...at least you cannot count on doing so.

If a blaster kills something there is no problem as that was everyone's presumable goal anyway.

If a blaster knocks something away from me, I presume they have the target under control and turn my attention elsewhere. Certainly when I, as a blaster, do so (which is rare) I am expecting to handle the target myself.

Edited by Erratic1
spelling
  • Like 5

Jokes aside, everyone's going to be on a team where they feel superfluous or that everything dies before they can even touch it. It doesn't necessarily matter the AT or build so much, some teams just gel in a way you don't expect that isn't necessarily in your favor. As long as team members aren't dying and you're finishing the content, you just kind of have to roll with it from time to time. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, subbacultchas said:

Jokes aside, everyone's going to be on a team where they feel superfluous or that everything dies before they can even touch it. It doesn't necessarily matter the AT or build so much, some teams just gel in a way you don't expect that isn't necessarily in your favor. As long as team members aren't dying and you're finishing the content, you just kind of have to roll with it from time to time. 

Quoted for truth. I used to feel this way on iTrials with melee a lot. Everything just melted so fast I felt like I rarely actually got an attack off before the AV came out to play.

• Like 2

you make me feel such a good boy! 

since i mainly use min-max blasters im used to check peoples builds and decide how to behave accordingly, not uncommon that i just sit back and throw 1 or 2 crap just to add damage and let other have some fun (or just try to speed up shiz by going on a different side), that is with pug....(with people from sg is war! kill faster then them!)

but sometimes is not even on purpose (happens a lot you just queue your snipe due to rotation and the target die fast, you swap to the next one, snipe it out of existance and you see the scrappy or the brute stop, turn 180 degree and look at you with that "wtf" face)

• Like 1

I mainly play melee and play my blaster the same way (once I cap my defenses that is).  I run in before anyone else and throw as much AoE as I can.  If my aim and build up and nuke are up and there is not much left of the group I'll truck it to the next group before anyone can get there and blow everything up, then move to the next group.  Eventually everyone catches up.

4 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

You are not going to change other's behavior...at least you cannot count on doing so.

If a blaster kills something there is no problem as that was everyone's presumable goal anyway.

If a blaster knocks something away from me, I presume they have the target under control and turn my attention elsewhere. Certainly when I, as a blaster, do so (which is rare) I am expecting to handle the target myself.

I am totally on board with this play style aka Redside Rules.  If I am fighting a big group all focused on me and you knock them all away from me, they are yours now and I'll move on to the next group and I hold no grudges for melee that do the same to me when I'm blasting. 

Side note, when I'm on my blaster I am never so cruel as to target through the tank or brute (outside of specific content that requires it) as that just leaves them running from target to target trying in vain to get there before I kill it. 

• Retired Game Master

Wait, is the blaster not right next to you knocking things down and counting down to Nova?

I just assumed I had ranged abilities to keep things from getting away from me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

"No, really. He's a GM. Don't ask me."

--The Entire Server, probably.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:39 PM, Darkesyde said:

I'm a blaster, no matter what AT I'm playing it's with my blaster mentality. Lately I've been trying out stalkers and brutes. 

It is a pain for me as a melee toon to run across a cave,room,or sewer to hit something, only to have a bolt from the blue either kill my target or push it farther away.

Remember, I'm always a blaster and most of you are also, how upset would you get if over and over you didn't get to shoot your shot.

Let the melee players hit something regularly, they'll feel good and you'll feel good too.

This is what Scrapperlock is for. Also Elec/SD is made to deal with this problem as well. I suggest making an Elec/SD Stalker or Scrapper and telenuking into mobs before the Blasters can. Treat it like a contest, whover aggros mobs first wins. This is how I play my Blasters and Scrappers.

• Like 1

Not my job to make someone elses day fun. I made my characters to have fun with myself. Not to worry about others having fun, and if  you are not finding your new brute or stalker fun, that is hardly me or my blasters fault. I play melee toons also. First off a stalker is going to have those issues period. You expect 7 other players to all wait until you are set up and ready to do a ass strike every mob? Don't be stupid no team is gonna do that. And as far as playing a brute I have never been on a team with a lack of things to attck or kill no matter the team makeup. So either you are just not cut out to be a brute or you are doing something really wrong. Sorry if this comes off as rude, I just kind of get tired of posts asking for people to stop doing what they are intended to do (blaster attacking mobs) in order to accommodate someone elses good time. I play the game for my good time, watching mobs get taken down is not fun, if I wanted to do that I would just door sit in an AE farm.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, GM Fiddleback said:

Wait, is the blaster not right next to you knocking things down and counting down to Nova?

I just assumed I had ranged abilities to keep things from getting away from me.

No, the Blaster's not here: he's on the floor.  The one with ranged attacks next to the melees is the Sentinel.  😉

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Haha 3

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

• Retired Game Master

THAT ONLY HAPPENED ONCE today!!!

1 minute ago, Rathulfr said:

No, the Blaster's not here: he's on the floor.  The one with ranged attacks standing next to the melees is the Sentinel.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"No, really. He's a GM. Don't ask me."

--The Entire Server, probably.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:39 PM, Darkesyde said:

You may indeed "be" a blaster, but this reads a bit like concern trolling.  The goal of teams is to kill stuff.  If you choose to play melee and find your blaster self turned off by having to toddle over to baddies to harm them, come back to the blastside.  :P  We're not going to stop blasting because you just managed to huff over to within melee range when we take out a baddie. 

• Like 3

I just go with the flow.  Last night I was on a Penny Yin with three blueside masterminds, on a TF with heavily obstructed warehouses and ruined offices.  And I was on a stalker, which runs great solo, and is an asset to teams running ghostable content, but works like a somewhat delicate scrapper in team content presenting neither of those situations. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

but works like a somewhat delicate scrapper in team content presenting neither of those situations. 

Nothing delicate about my BS/SD stalker. I'd be willing to bet I out-damage an evenly kitted even level BS/SD scrapper all day. 

• Like 1

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane