Things from Live I dont miss....

Lunchmoney

15 hours ago, cejmp said:

Q: You admit that you aren't the most perfect designer... how do you get people to stick around in your games?
A: I had a vision for the game. In action/RPGs, there aren't any items with stats. Why do we need all of those numbers?

Oh yeah? Anyone remember the desk with 1,000,000 HP? Or the filing cabinet that ran away?

Edited by Chuckers
Capitalization :)
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Chuckers said:

Oh yeah? anyone remember the desk with 1,000,000 HP? Or the filing cabinet that ran away?

If I had a vision for the game, it would be full of this stuff. 

• Haha 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

16 hours ago, cejmp said:

Q: You admit that you aren't the most perfect designer... how do you get people to stick around in your games?

A: I had a vision for the game. In action/RPGs, there aren't any items with stats. Why do we need all of those numbers?

Oh God, I'd completely forgotten this bit of brilliance.

To be fair, I can get what he thought he was trying to do. A lot of people have a hard time with numbers, and he wanted the game to be simple enough that people didn't feel the need to be accounting majors to play it.

Then he went and developed the MMO based on the pencil and paper RPG that was famous for people needing to be accounting majors to play it, so go figure, I guess.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

On 8/18/2019 at 5:55 AM, Chuckers said:

Sorry to derail the topic, but while I hated ED at first, I think it made the game more challenging and fun. It stopped being a push to win and became a more thinking game. 

Definitely, but I don't particularly miss the time between ED and IOs. Other than that, I'd say most of the stuff I don't miss is the menial busywork such as unlocking capes, costume slots and auras. The crazy market prices, too. I could afford to do buy anything I wanted, but it took a whole lot longer to recover from making a maxed out character than it does now.

• Like 3

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Don't miss:

The complete mishmash of currencies and trials that awarded them for Incarnate stuff. The current system that rewards you for just playing the game is a massive improvement.

Billions of INF for a single IO, tens of thousands for certain pieces of Common salvage.

Supergroup prestige.

Exploration badge hunting to get the beacons.

"We have a vision for the game" meaning "You WILL play the way we tell you."

Brutes and Scrappers >> everything else.

• Like 1

Torchbearer: @Lakanna (Blue) or @Annakal (Red)

On 8/18/2019 at 2:37 PM, Abraxus said:

I will admit though, if Champions was more of what he thought was a good game, then it is a good thing he left when he did.  I would hate for him to have stayed, and pushed CoH in directions that Champions embraced.  Just not a fan.

Not only Champions, but then he left that and moved on to Daybreak Games and became the head of DC Universe Online. I enjoyed that game, but the changes he caused in DCUO finally caused me to uninstall and not look back.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, VanCorp said:

Not only Champions, but then he left that and moved on to Daybreak Games and became the head of DC Universe Online. I enjoyed that game, but the changes he caused in DCUO finally caused me to uninstall and not look back.

Ouch!  What changes?

On 8/17/2019 at 7:48 PM, Chuckers said:

TI *think* that's why ED happened, to force players to use the secondary characteristics of their powers and not 1 slot acc/5 slot dam. (I could very well be wrong...)

That is what I miss about pre-ED with my AR/Dev, 6-slotting TD with to-hits and all other powers 6 slotted for damage.  Fun times fun times.

19 hours ago, Man_From_AUNTIE said:

That is what I miss about pre-ED with my AR/Dev, 6-slotting TD with to-hits and all other powers 6 slotted for damage.  Fun times fun times.

Toe-bombing. Stack stealth to drop trip mines right at the the pack of mobs' feet. Slotted up enough to take out the whole pack at once. XD

On 8/20/2019 at 8:39 PM, THEDarkTyger said:

Toe-bombing. Stack stealth to drop trip mines right at the the pack of mobs' feet. Slotted up enough to take out the whole pack at once. XD

Reminds me that I ought to start an archery/devices blaster before Halloween rolls around.  Best trick or treat farmer ever. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 8/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, Abraxus said:

I have a healer these days, and I can vouch for the fact that they are not as prized as they once were.

Actually healers are still highly prized, without them a lot of things wouldn't work out as well as they would with, so for any and everyone running a healer, TY 🙂

Just now, Blastcaps said:

Actually healers are still highly prized, without them a lot of things wouldn't work out as well as they would with, so for any and everyone running a healer, TY 🙂

I'll give him another try then.  Perhaps it's because I concentrated on all of the healing, and power pool stuff (leadership), and bypassed most of my attack powers.  For a Defender, they always seemed like the weakest part of their build to me, but perhaps I need to even things out.  We'll see!

What was no more, is REBORN!

On 8/17/2019 at 3:34 PM, THEDarkTyger said:

It wouldn't have gotten off the ground if he hadn't had people reigning him in during development, though. Even then, after he left, the game made vast improvements specifically through discarding some of his early design philosophies.

The 'three minions should be a challenging fight for a single hero' concept being one of the major ones. How can you feel heroic if, regardless of level, you struggle to defeat three mooks?

On 8/19/2019 at 10:16 PM, Man_From_AUNTIE said:

Or using Focused Accuracy for the same purpose with characters without TD.

45 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

The 'three minions should be a challenging fight for a single hero' concept being one of the major ones. How can you feel heroic if, regardless of level, you struggle to defeat three mooks?

In a lot of games, you will struggle to defeat "more than one".  And, in very many games of the time period when CoX was shiny-brand-new, you would struggle to beat just ONE mook, without a whole team behind you.

So by the standards of the day, it was very heroic.

Those standards have since changed.  🙂

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I don’t miss any and all expenses associated with having a base. 

Also, with the new enterbasefrompasscode command, I don’t miss having to hunt down a base portal or use a power to get there. Now, navigating the game is much easier - just build a small base with portals to everywhere, or use someone else’s base code. 

I dont miss the constant calls in broadcast or LFG for RMT. But I’m afraid that’s coming. 

I dont miss having to wait to wait a long time for a fix, because now we have some very smart people who can just make it happen. I believe on Live if we discovered an update stopped awarding merits, at best we would have had to live with it for a couple days. These pros were not constrained to a system and could patch it pretty much instantly. 

After a hopefully positive agreement with NCSoft, I’m really excited to see where this can go. Lots of great people working on it, and once we can really start crowdsourcing some stuff I think we’ll all be amazed. 

• Like 1

I definitely don't miss the way incarnates used to work.  It's so wonderful to get incarnate stuff for regular content and not feel like we have to grind trials (I was hesitant to run a BAF even after seven years without our City because I was so sick of grinding that stuff back in the day).  It's great now because we can join itrials because we want to not feel like we "have" to in order to progress.

I don't miss the crazy slog required to get an sg base up and running, particularly for small sgs composed of rl friends/family and a few in-game buds.  Two of us ended up getting all the beacons, kept our earn sg prestige on, etc.  It was wretched. 

I don't miss the weird "elitism" (for lack of a better word) that seemed to permeate amongst some vets after COX went free-to-play (I kept paying for the sub but didn't get into the dismissive and disdainful "oh, they're freebies" mindset and actively worked to make "freebies" feel comfortable and welcome).  I'm glad we're all "freebies" now. 

But enough negativity!  I am totally in love with COH Homecoming.  We need a thread on how great it is and what we are thrilled to have available now that wasn't on live.  I guess that's what this is, but I want to focus on what I love not what I don't miss, she says splitting hairs. 

Easy side switching with Null the Gull, being able to run tfs with any number of people (even solo), free base everything, being able to invite alts to sg via a command, P2W vendors with all the goodies we used to earn over time and for paid subs, no more side-kicking lunacy, all costume items accessible at toon creation, easy ways to get ouro (though I do still like to run the Midnighter's arc for old time's sake), vet levels, and about a bazillion other things.

All that said, I do sometimes miss the "milestones" like earning our capes, but if I wanted to, I could just stick to the "old" ways and not select a travel power until lvl 14 and do the "cape mish" at 20 (I think that was it), and etc.  But I don't want to.  Hehe

Edited by Tahliah
grr typos (I may have to roll a toon called "Grr Typos")

On 8/23/2019 at 4:58 PM, Tahliah said:

Easy side switching with Null the Gull, being able to run tfs with any number of people (even solo), free base everything, being able to invite alts to sg via a command, P2W vendors with all the goodies we used to earn over time and for paid subs, no more side-kicking lunacy, all costume items accessible at toon creation, easy ways to get ouro (though I do still like to run the Midnighter's arc for old time's sake), vet levels, and about a bazillion other things.

There's an easier way to get to Ouro on Homecoming?  I always dread the Faultline arc and am even getting a little tired of Marshall Brass.  Note that I am so pathologically shy that I can't bring myself to ask for an Ouroboros portal in Broadcast.

52 minutes ago, Cix said:

There's an easier way to get to Ouro on Homecoming? 

Hang out in AP, inevitably someone will drop one, and if you're quick you can click it before they do ...

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

2 hours ago, Cix said:

There's an easier way to get to Ouro on Homecoming?  I always dread the Faultline arc and am even getting a little tired of Marshall Brass.  Note that I am so pathologically shy that I can't bring myself to ask for an Ouroboros portal in Broadcast.

Yes, just go to your sg base (or any of the amazing open to all bases) to access Echo Galaxy City.  From there, head to the tram and go to Ouro, Get the badge and voila!  :)   If you need base access, hit me up, and you can use mine.  

• Like 4

On 8/15/2019 at 5:59 PM, Mansome said:

R U H34L0RZ? anytime I logged in as a defender or corrupter...

This.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

56 minutes ago, Tahliah said:

Yes, just go to your sg base (or any of the amazing open to all bases) to access Echo Galaxy City.  From there, head to the tram and go to Ouro, Get the badge and voila!  🙂   If you need base access, hit me up, and you can use mine.  

I do have access to the beautiful Torchbearer Community Base.  I must have missed the option somewhere.  Thanks!

• Like 1