Is there a Point to SuperGroups now?

cramit845

So I've been running around looking for supergroups for about a week now. I always wanted to find an awesome group of folks to play the game with and make teams on a regular basis. I've joined a supergroup on one of my characters and its really low on players. However I'm not seeing many SG's looking for more players. Maybe its the server I'm on but since a lot of players are enjoying building bases, is there even a reason to join a SG?

From what I recall and have read, SG mode isn't a thing since players dont need to farm to create a base. Is this why folks are uninterested in making SG's or rather have their own person SG just for the base building? I would think players would want to group together for end game raids but being a player that never did any of that during live, I don't even know whats available. So the question remains, are actual SG's going to be a thing like a guild as they were back in the day or are they basically gonna be personal things on these servers merely for base building?

I've never had a big supergroup in CoH - it was always a way to get together people I already knew in real life to play online.  My current SG currently has 20 or so character for 5 different players, and 2 more players should be joining soon.  The SG base and SG chat are invaluable to me and my friends.  If I wanted to broaden our reach, I'd look into a Coalition.

Super groups are the most straightforward way for your high level characters to share salvage, enhancements, and inspirations with lower level characters.  All of my characters basically formed a commune.  Even your Incarnate level characters will be running exemped down fairly often and will be getting lower level salvage and recipes. 

Base building is the other point, it's a mini game in itself.

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Super groups are the most straightforward way for your high level characters to share salvage, enhancements, and inspirations with lower level characters.  All of my characters basically formed a commune.  Even your Incarnate level characters will be running exemped down fairly often and will be getting lower level salvage and recipes. 

Ok, this is interesting. So its worth it to form a personal one just for trading resources between alts? That definitely makes sense but kinda removes the point of trying to find a big one I guess. 

Is there really no raids at end game that makes sense to be in a SG for or is it all just pug'd with CoH? Was never involved in high level play before so maybe I just have this weird idea that CoH would operate like other MMO's.

There's at least as much point as there is to costumes, free tailor sessions, power customization, and 95% or so of badges.

Even if they don't do anything useful, they're fun.

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

Ok, this is interesting. So its worth it to form a personal one just for trading resources between alts? That definitely makes sense but kinda removes the point of trying to find a big one I guess. 

Is there really no raids at end game that makes sense to be in a SG for or is it all just pug'd with CoH? Was never involved in high level play before so maybe I just have this weird idea that CoH would operate like other MMO's.

It most definitely does not, no worries. When enough people reach Incarnate level, you will see plenty of raid groups to easily join.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Also, since you can form coalitions with other super-groups, it seems to me to make much more sense to form your own SG to have a private base, and coalition with other people you want to play with (who, theoretically, also have their own private SG).

There's at least as much point as there is to costumes, free tailor sessions, power customization, and 95% or so of badges.

Even if they don't do anything useful, they're fun.

This would be my answer too.

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

The majority of raids were basically just pugged. There were some groups that did speed raids (or similar) but they were organized around global channels as much as they were around super groups.

Personally I just had a supergroup base as a convenient place to store salvage and enhancements and pass them between my characters.

Defender Smash!

The majority of raids were basically just pugged. There were some groups that did speed raids (or similar) but they were organized around global channels as much as they were around super groups.

Personally I just had a supergroup base as a convenient place to store salvage and enhancements and pass them between my characters.

Huh, ok then. I guess I will drop my SG and look into base building. I've definitely felt the pressure to sell a lot of my recipes and what not that Im not using because of no space.

Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Mini? ;)

Little? *stares in Klingon*

height=600https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/s5Leo0Bx5UXReUOR1Q_Er3kgcfg=/2016/09/02/41f02b67-d8ff-4179-8c32-a0f0c5bdfd7f/tng-worf00000993d.jpg[/img]

And that's bigger than I expected it to be...making all the more amusing. :p

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Are you able to invite your alts to a super group if your in a solo SG?

/altinvite seems to be available.

Is that new?  I just heard about that yesterday and it damn near blew my mind.

Yeah, these whipper-snappers and their new fangled ways. In MY day we had to pony up a 2nd account or bother some random stranger to get ourselves in. ;)

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Also, since you can form coalitions with other super-groups, it seems to me to make much more sense to form your own SG to have a private base, and coalition with other people you want to play with (who, theoretically, also have their own private SG).

yup, need base to store all my crap lol. 

The Sisterhood has reformed and is actively recruiting members. We have chosen Excelsior as our home server but have a presence on all of them.

It's a great way to socialize, form teams, help others and set up server events.

Beginning May 13th The Sisterhood will be hosting/forming teams to run the weekly Strike target TFs on Excelsior.

The Sisterhood - Liberty Server

I did not know about that thank you for the answer :)

Yeah it's something new they added and much appreciated.

As to supergroup, well in the old days the sg system really was f big groups and not small or solo groups.

Now it is for anyone and everyone and no prestige needed. A welcome change.

Though they are still good for gathering friends and coalitions together.

I just have the largest lot but only a couple of rooms at the moment for lab and teleport units. I'll build up the rest later.

There are some little advantages that bases can give you but it's mostly just for fun. There's not a ton of base-dependent content - like PVP and Villains, people who did it were so small a percentage of the overall playerbase that Cryptic/Paragon couldn't justify spending time and resources to add a lot to it after a certain point.

For me, bases are for storing tons of stuff and an easy way to travel quickly from place to place. It can be small and utilitarian or massive and mind-blowingly amazing, thanks to all the additions and base love. This is awesome for people who love it and spend hours creating them.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

• 1 month later