A Formal Request

Myrmidon

3 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

It'd probably have to be HEAVILY modified.

I'm interested to know what you have in mind here? I've been playing an /EA brute recently as I am a sucker for sets that aren't well loved and I'm not finding too much to dislike so far.

It has a decent spread of defences; yes it has a psi hole but it's not alone there. It has a strong taunt aura that does +rech and who doesn't love more of that? A +end clicky, a few minor resists including some useful exotic resists against slow and end drain, solid all round mez protection, and even a self heal (that admittedly comes a bit late). The tier 9 seems a little pointless (not that I'm there yet) but again EA is far from alone there.

I assume the sticking point might be the stealth toggle but DA has one of these too. It is perfectly possible to softcap without it if you really don't want to take it and that is with brute modifers. I've found I've enjoyed the extra utility of being able to stealth the odd mission.

And of course the set is pretty too :). Actually, joking aside it really is pretty. I'm running SS/EA and with the default palette the rage glow and hasten glow blend in with the armour toggles in a very pleasing way. I thought I'd hate the stealth covering up my costume but when he fades out leaving just the maelstrom of orange glowing effects it looks awesome.

Why modified?  The scaling of Tanker should take care of itself just like with SR.  

I think it would work as a direct port just fine.  

It has a nice big heal, nice Regen Boost, and would easily softcap S/L/E/N/F/C  

On a EA stalker you can get 50% S/L resist, so I imagine on a Tanker it could be ~70 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parabola said:

I'm not finding too much to dislike so far.

Yeah EA got reworked a while back and since then it's been a really strong set.  If anything the devs maybe went a little too far in compensating for its lack of popularity.  It's got a lot of goodies.  I don't play it because I don't like defense sets with psi holes but if it wasn't for that it would probably be my go-to defense set.

I like stealth powers.  I hope if it gets ported to Tankers that it stays as-is.  It's an optional power and there are plenty of other ways to get the attention of mobs.  There are only two armor sets with those powers and it would be a shame for Tankers to not get both of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haijinx said:

On a EA stalker you can get 50% S/L resist, so I imagine on a Tanker it could be ~70

This is basically my point.  You can already build a Brute that surpasses Incarnate Soft Cap and get within spitting distance of 70%.
And that much Defense serves absolutely no useful purpose.
Worse, the way it's laid out for a Tank (since it's the primary), you're looking at being essentially Feature Complete by L14 and soft-capped by L20 or so.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

3 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

This is basically my point.  You can already build a Brute that surpasses Incarnate Soft Cap and get within spitting distance of 70%.
And that much Defense serves absolutely no useful purpose.
Worse, the way it's laid out for a Tank (since it's the primary), you're looking at being essentially Feature Complete by L14 and soft-capped by L20 or so.

I get that Regeneration likely would need some rework to make playable on Tankers, however, Super Reflexes also caps Defense early, so I don’t see the issue.

• Like 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, Myrmidon said:

I get that Regeneration likely would need some rework to make playable on Tankers, however, Super Reflexes also caps Defense early, so I don’t see the issue. 

SR simply doesn't have the same depth of mitigation that EnA does.

SR delivers nothing BUT Defense.

EnA is a full hybrid armor set.  Defense, Resist, Healing

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Myrmidon said:

That's my thought as well. If SR can softcap Defense easily on a Tanker, I'm not sure why EA shouldn't do the same. I would love to play an EA/ Tanker. 

• Like 2

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

SR doesn't have a Taunt Aura. Energy does.

SR doesn't have Resistances. Energy does.

SR doesn't have a Self Heal. Energy does.

SR doesn't have a Stealth Power. Energy does.

SR doesn't have anything that benefits from having lots of enemies near you. Energy has 2 powers. (Energy Drain and Entropic Aura)

SR gains a passive 20% Recharge rate boost. Energy gets a Toggle with up to 35% Recharge in their Taunt Aura.

That said, SR can cap positionals leaving it with no holes whatsoever. So that's a nice benefit? But once Cascade Failure hits, it hits -hard-. Energy has those Resistances and a Self Heal to fall back on.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

That said, SR can cap positionals leaving it with no holes whatsoever. So that's a nice benefit? But once Cascade Failure hits, it hits -hard-. Energy has those Resistances and a Self Heal to fall back on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SR have 95% DDR? And with Tanker numbers getting over the soft-cap, doesn't that make cascade failure a pretty rare event? 

I would agree EA gets more layers of mitigation in the comparison game, but that might mean SR needs to get a little more added to it. Not EA having some things adjusted down.

• Like 1

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

I'd like to see this happen.  /EA could be rough on a brute back when CoV first launched, but with IO's in play to patch up all the gaps?  I think a tank could rock it plenty fine, without even having to change the nature of any of the powers at all. 

My EM/EA is still staying a Brute, though.

1 hour ago, Rylas said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SR have 95% DDR? And with Tanker numbers getting over the soft-cap, doesn't that make cascade failure a pretty rare event? 

I would agree EA gets more layers of mitigation in the comparison game, but that might mean SR needs to get a little more added to it. Not EA having some things adjusted down.

... shit... you're right! It's got craaaazy levels of DDR. I'd thought it was like Shield Defense: Tied up in the Mez Protection Stacking Game.

SR is freaking badass on Tankers...

2 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

SR doesn't have a Taunt Aura. Energy does.

SR doesn't have Resistances. Energy does.

SR doesn't have a Self Heal. Energy does.

SR doesn't have a Stealth Power. Energy does.

SR doesn't have anything that benefits from having lots of enemies near you. Energy has 2 powers. (Energy Drain and Entropic Aura)

SR gains a passive 20% Recharge rate boost. Energy gets a Toggle with up to 35% Recharge in their Taunt Aura.

SR on Tankers and Brutes has a taunt aura (Evasion). It also has scaling resists to the point where if you're shoring up your numbers with set bonuses you become very hard to kill once you're below 15-20% health or so. SR also has about 95% def debuff resistance when slotted, EA gets about 65% outside of Overload.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

6 minutes ago, macskull said:

SR on Tankers and Brutes has a taunt aura (Evasion). It also has scaling resists to the point where if you're shoring up your numbers with set bonuses you become very hard to kill once you're below 15-20% health or so. SR also has about 95% def debuff resistance when slotted, EA gets about 65% outside of Overload.

My Mids is telling me there's no taunt aura for Tankers in Evasion...

As to the "Scaling bonuses plus IO Sets!" I'm not getting into that, here. I'm talking about the baseline abilities of both powersets.

In any case, the Energy Tanker would have more overall utility. Stealth, PBAoE End Fixer/+Defense, Self-Healing on the regular, similar recharge rate bonus on average... S'veddy niiiiiice.

2 hours ago, Rylas said:

You are not wrong.

I've never experienced cascading failure on my SR tanker.

Or my SR brute

I did on my SR scrapper back in the day but that build was just barely softcapped, and I ran a lot of ITFs 

---

EA can overcap S/L which helps a lot with def debuff.  So tanker could do that.

1 minute ago, Steampunkette said:

My Mids is telling me there's no taunt aura for Tankers in Evasion...

As to the "Scaling bonuses plus IO Sets!" I'm not getting into that, here. I'm talking about the baseline abilities of both powersets.

In any case, the Energy Tanker would have more overall utility. Stealth, PBAoE End Fixer/+Defense, Self-Healing on the regular, similar recharge rate bonus on average... S'veddy niiiiiice.

The taunt aura is there in game in Evasion, supposedly its a really weak one.   Seems to work though. 

For EA -

Brutes have taunt in the Inertia power, plus a nice -rech debuff, +rech buff

10 minutes ago, Rylas said:

What would the numbers be for EA/ with just SOs? 

Some quick napkin math (assuming 56% enhancement to values):

34.3% S/L Defense

42.9% Energy Defense

29.64% Negative Energy Defense

39% Fire/Cold Defense

2.34% Defense to all but Tox/Psi for the first enemy hit by Energy Drain, .78% Defense to all but Tox/Psi for every additional enemy hit. (Easily perma with one recharge SO)

64.89% Defense debuff resist

19.5% S/L/Neg/Tox Resist

35.1% Energy Resist

All that on top of recharge buffs, +Regen, a self heal, and excellent endurance management. Yeah it'd be pretty beastly.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Some quick napkin math (assuming 56% enhancement to values):

34.3% S/L Defense

42.9% Energy Defense

29.64% Negative Energy Defense

39% Fire/Cold Defense

2.34% Defense to all but Tox/Psi for the first enemy hit by Energy Drain, .78% Defense to all but Tox/Psi for every additional enemy hit. (Easily perma with one recharge SO)

64.89% Defense debuff resist

19.5% S/L/Neg/Tox Resist

35.1% Energy Resist

All that on top of recharge buffs, +Regen, a self heal, and excellent endurance management. Yeah it'd be pretty beastly.

yeah not bad at all 

Add in Tough, Weave, +6% Def uniques and you are already softcapped to S/L/E with over 40% S/L RES before Drains 

on SOs you also get a 48% Heal every 60ish seconds with a 50% uptime on +195% regen