Give us 'grindy' stuff (like vanguard) and costume unlocks back

Summerspark

6 hours ago, Indystruck said:

Sure, more badges too, I agree!

Just an idea, would be interesting for those that are interested in designing and modeling costume pieces, if they had a bit of sway if their piece(s) were locked behind some sort of achievement of their choice. Of course they could just make it available to everyone off the bat but some artists might want to put a bit of a story behind their art.

Homecoming is the server where you dont need to unlock anything (costume wise at least). Changing that now seems silly. Locking aesthetic items behind combat milestones seems especially silly and limits people's ability to play their way. "No one is putting a gun to your head," some fellow said earlier, not realizing that they would be. If the developers did gate costume pieces behind content, the developers would be the ones holding the metaphorical gun to my head if I ever want to use that costume piece. And they would be doing it on the order suggestion of anyone who wants to unlock things again in a misguided attempt to get bigger hits of dopamine.

All I want to do is make costumes, guys and gals. Please don't make me jump through unnecessary hoops to do so. We have badges for accomplishments. Please hunt those. Alternatively, some of the other servers have content locked costume pieces, maybe they would be more fun and to your liking?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And really, "Temp" Powers or other baubles would be far MORE rewarding, wouldn't they?   Like Accolade Powers, for example.

I'm almost certain that @Piecemeal has been dropping hints about a new Accolade for a while now.   Maybe have a looksie at that, when the time comes.

. . . and so help me, Piecemeal, if what you're up to is a costume piece unlock.   So help me . . . 

• Like 1

• Retired Developer
6 hours ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

And really, "Temp" Powers or other baubles would be far MORE rewarding, wouldn't they?   Like Accolade Powers, for example.

I'm almost certain that @Piecemeal has been dropping hints about a new Accolade for a while now.   Maybe have a looksie at that, when the time comes.

. . . and so help me, Piecemeal, if what you're up to is a costume piece unlock.   So help me . . . 

You need existing proof of completing content to get a bonus fight for another badge. Not a costume unlock. It's not technically an accolade despite its requirements, it's more of a bonus for content runners. And it has a valid thematic reason for being as such.

• Like 1

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

Sounds good to me!

Unlock certain content by completing the same type of content.

So, like, if they wanted to lock Costume Pieces behind any sort of wall, then I would say it would have to be locked behind making X number of costumes, heh.  (Not a serious suggestion, but just using it as an example.)

I'd be fine with this if, let's say, for every 1 cool costume sets/pieces locked behind a grindwall there were 4-5 cool sets/pieces released at the same time that didn't require it.

Or gave a regular set with a fancy version behind a grind... If I'm remembering correctly the glowy version of Ascension armor was this way. Or I'm crazy.

Edited by Dragotect
  • Like 1

I'd be ok with new content that grants you new costume pieces. For example: you defeat a new uber boss and you unlock the sword he wields as a costume piece option and so on. I actually prefer that. An extra little something for completing a TF/SF/trial/arc etc.

I will say I can't see too much of this happening due to small Dev team and not  too many mission arcs/TFs/SFs/trials etc being released.

12 hours ago, HelBlaiz said:

"No one is putting a gun to your head," some fellow said earlier, not realizing that they would be. If the developers did gate costume pieces behind content, the developers would be the ones holding the metaphorical gun to my head if I ever want to use that costume piece.

This is extremely overdramatic, lol

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting

I stand by my dramatics. In order to use any costume piece I want to design costumes, I would be forced to do something completely unrelated to costume design/character creation. I don't "have" to do the content, but I'm denied a costume piece if I don't, and for no other reason than to artificially inflate a dopamine response. If I'm not invested in doing the content without the reward of more costume pieces, locking costume pieces behind it will only make me resent the content. This is not the effect anyone wants. Badges are the reward for running content/completing challenges. Let's keep it that way.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, HelBlaiz said:

I stand by my dramatics. In order to use any costume piece I want to design costumes, I would be forced to do something completely unrelated to costume design/character creation. I don't "have" to do the content, but I'm denied a costume piece if I don't, and for no other reason than to artificially inflate a dopamine response. If I'm not invested in doing the content without the reward of more costume pieces, locking costume pieces behind it will only make me resent the content. This is not the effect anyone wants. Badges are the reward for running content/completing challenges. Let's keep it that way.

I agree with Helblaiz on this.  People who have full time jobs often have half hour to an hour travel time to and from work, kids and family to take care of ect, don't have time to unlock everything.  One of the core reasons mmorpgs are unpopular outside of WOW(and even WoW is slowly losing players) is the manditory grinds, sometimes even exploiting "Fear of missing out" on players to force them into playing and losing even more of there freetime.

When a game becomes a job, it loses it's entertainment value fast.  And to many mmorpgs and even other games try to do that.

Grinds are exactly what the video i'm gonna share talks about as being "inhumane".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm rather wary of Extra Credits, because on a few occasions they've said some really ass-backwards things (such as going in to examples around the 4:10 mark, but the three games that were cited at the start of that . . . I definitely would NOT call League a humane game), but overall . . . yes.  The point made in that video is accurate.  Game designers have power to make their work ethically and humanely, or not.  And with City of Heroes being not-for-profit, there's really no excuse to be inhuman and unethical.

I think one of the best choices Homecoming ever made was to make ALL costume parts available at all times.  There was never a time ever, that I wanted to grind for a specific part just to create the look I wanted from the very beginning. Or pay 1,000,000 influence for the recipe for a speicifc part for a level 1 toon (insect wings, fairy wings) - which actually was the case on Live.  I hated having to buy a recipe for a part for a brand new level1 toon using money from a richer toon, then being forced to immediately go to ICON just to get the look I wanted from the time I created that toon. 

And there were things that were even worse things - like putting the Fairy Dust aura behind Emp Merits??  So only a level 50 fairy could have a fairy dust aura?  Absolutely ridiculous. I was extremely happy that Auras, Capes and wings were all unlocked at creation time.  If I want to create a look, I want to do it when I create it, not be forced to grind and change it over and over. 

There are other things to grind for. Costume parts, and base pieces for that matter are not things that are fun to grind for. There are badges that you need to grind to get. That's enough for me. 

Getting rid of the horrid Prestige system for building and maintaining bases was also a great choice to make.  I could see them re-enabling Prestige just for ranking purposes, but for building?  No thanks!  And no stupid giant influence penalty for SG mode. That didn't particularly hurt high level toons, but it was an absolute deal breaker for ones at low level who had to afford SOs. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, HelBlaiz said:

l I want to do is make costumes, guys and gals. Please don't make me jump through unnecessary hoops to do so. We have badges for accomplishments. Please hunt those. Alternatively, some of the other servers have content locked costume pieces, maybe they would be more fun and to your liking?

You have icon for costume making, maybe that would be more fun and to your liking?

I'm not wanting everything back to original, just the new stuff to have some unlocks.

This isn't an all or nothing like many seem to take it. Like having one new costume price out of hundreds be behind 'hunt 200 skulls and gain the Skull Hunter title to unlock the glowy eyed version of the skull mask' is to much.

Having pretty much all costumes locked like DCO is unreasonable and a large reason why I couldn't get into it, but also having every costume price ever going forward free is unreasonable and a large reason why CoH doesn't keep me interested.

Edited by Hero_of_Light