Make Rest automatic while out of combat

Many, many games keep pacing between fights / encounters by having the character refresh when truly out of combat for some time. It would be appreciated (esp at lower levels) if resting up between fights wasn't something you had to commit so hard to do.

This could be done by making Rest an auto power, then having it interrupt / suppress when you get aggro/get hit for a good chunk of time.

One problem I can see with this, as I saw argued back in the live servers, back in the day: damage received badge farms rely heavily on finding a single critter that can never kill a Resting hero and agro it, then rest (pop a luck maybe to avoid being interrupted.) then leaving the character AFK overnight.

If Rest becomes an inherent that auto-shuts down on aggro, the farms becomes impossible to do and practically only tankers end up ever getting the top badge.

One problem I can see with this, as I saw argued back in the live servers, back in the day: damage received badge farms rely heavily on finding a single critter that can never kill a Resting hero and agro it, then rest (pop a luck maybe to avoid being interrupted.) then leaving the character AFK overnight.

If Rest becomes an inherent that auto-shuts down on aggro, the farms becomes impossible to do and practically only tankers end up ever getting the top badge.

That seems more of an issue with the badge tho? I'd gladly trade a badge for making the game a bit more user friendly for everyone

Not sure what level your character(s) are, but stamina becomes pretty much a non-issue at level 22. Heck I don't even have Rest on my power trays after level 12. Since the game has been back I know I have only used Rest once.

That seems more of an issue with the badge tho? I'd gladly trade a badge for making the game a bit more user friendly for everyone

I think the intention is not to remove Rest as an ability itself, but to have some mechanism whereby, in the absence of hostile mobs, or using a power on another character your character would, after a delay similar to that of Rest, get an increased HP and End recovery rate. I would expect that this would be smaller than what you get from Rest, and have limits on its activation that might be too hard to code (i.e., not if any member of your team is in combat, not if hostile mobs are within a range dependent on your stealth and their perception, not if you use a power on another character or pet, etc.).

I think the intention is not to remove Rest as an ability itself, but to have some mechanism whereby, in the absence of hostile mobs, or using a power on another character your character would, after a delay similar to that of Rest, get an increased HP and End recovery rate. I would expect that this would be smaller than what you get from Rest, and have limits on its activation that might be too hard to code (i.e., not if any member of your team is in combat, not if hostile mobs are within a range dependent on your stealth and their perception, not if you use a power on another character or pet, etc.).

Correct, the intent is to reduce downtime when truly out of combat in some way instead of having to use rest and stopping your momentum fully.

• 3 months later

No. While Resting you're vulnerable to taking damage. My team and I pause between missions and half or more go afk. All of us still have toggles and defenses on. With the OP's suggestion, all of us would go into Rest and if a patrol stumbles upon us (or just some guys on the street) we're ALL toast. Also sets up too many opportunities for griefing others by pulling enemies into them.

Not needed at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isn't the cooldown of Rest already drastically reduced compared to what it was back in the day? I haven't really used Rest much but rather than make it automatic after a delay, why not just get rid of its cooldown entirely if recovering between fights is actually an issue?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Gw2 does the same thing. I feel, for a game like that, it's fine but it's gameable (using movement to escape combat to refill HP changes how people play drastically). I also think it devalues other aspects of the game. 

Rest is already drastically faster to recharge so, as long as you aren't being attacked and can sit for a few seconds, you can rest. This actually puts value into powers like Invisibility and sleeps. 

I just don't think it would be worthwhile to shift the games pace for some extra QoL most don't even need. 

Edited by Leogunner

• Retired Game Master
On 5/13/2019 at 5:52 AM, Galaxy Brain said:

Many, many games keep pacing between fights / encounters by having the character refresh when truly out of combat for some time. It would be appreciated (esp at lower levels) if resting up between fights wasn't something you had to commit so hard to do.

This could be done by making Rest an auto power, then having it interrupt / suppress when you get aggro/get hit for a good chunk of time.

This doesn't work without expanding the 'in combat' mechanic. Current state it relies on you being attacked or attacking. If you're playing a pure support character that doesn't use aggro abilities in a team this can break. If your'e playing a mastermind that doesn't use aggro abilities, this can break.

This also makes kiting too powerful in my opinion. In trouble? Run away, abuse line of sight. If you can keep them off you for 8 seconds even if they're still tracking you, you get rest level regen/recovery without actual risk. I'm assuming you intend the damage vulnerability effect of rest to not apply since you'll have it on you until you wade into a pack with the change proposed.

Further, I don't like losing control of when I'm allowed to rest. If I'm support I don't want to be screwed out of resting to recover endurance after a crazy encounter because the tank doesn't stop pulling. I know when I can safely rest in combat and wouldn't be happy to lose that option.

Finally I also don't want to have to wait a good chunk of time after combat to rest if I need to. Distance between packs isn't usually significant. And that good chunk of time is going to have to be equal to or less than the interrupt/activation time on rest (6 seconds, currently combat mechanics are 8 seconds) or it's going to be a worse experience for me in a lot of situations where I'd use rest.

• Like 4

Whoa, this got resurrected fast lol. Anyways, the original intent was to mirror games like Gw2 where if you are out of combat you get a "rest" effect as a QoL. Game has been live again for a while and yeah it's a minor thing, but it would have been nice to see in some way.

Sijin detailed why out of combat is tricky as well, so its be a ton of work with little payoff.

Edited by Galaxy Brain

On 5/13/2019 at 10:12 AM, Redlynne said:

Downvoted.

^^^^ That.

Rest means you can only affect yourself.

That would break Bodyguard for Masterminds.  (Also, it would make mastermind unable to command their pets at all.)  The first Ambush an MM hit, would - with it's alpha - wipe the MM out before BG could be re-established.

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

3 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

^^^^ That.

Rest means you can only affect yourself.

That would break Bodyguard for Masterminds.  (Also, it would make mastermind unable to command their pets at all.)  The first Ambush an MM hit, would - with it's alpha - wipe the MM out before BG could be re-established.

The idea wont work anyways, but the auto rest would have just been the increased recovery and regen, not the lock and place and other debuffs

5 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Whoa, this got resurrected fast lol. Anyways, the original intent was to mirror games like Gw2 where if you are out of combat you get a "rest" effect as a QoL.

You know what does not happen in Gw2... Conversations. If you group formally at all, you just run from one event to another. Taking a Knee in CoH is not the 5min of EQ but it's still downtime, and conversations, even in PUGs do happen, or used to anyways.

Even though I Solo now 99.9% of the time, and this suggestion would greatly benefit me, I Vote

No,

because I do not want CoH to turn into Gw2.

Edited by Jeuraud

3 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

The idea wont work anyways, but the auto rest would have just been the increased recovery and regen, not the lock and place and other debuffs

Then it's not auto-Rest, it's auto-Regeneration-and-Recovery .... which does nothing but cheapen the actual Regeneration powerset (and Willpower, come to think of it).

• Like 3

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism