Bring Prestige back

Illy

5 hours ago, siolfir said:

I'd say it's perfectly arbitrary, which fits the name.

ty·ran·ni·cal

/təˈranək(ə)l/

adjective

exercising power in a cruel or arbitrary way.

In any case, we've already heard that base construction and upkeep will be free, which is good. Now that it was brought up by @GM Widower I'm somewhat interested in what some other ideas are for prestige, though. Maybe this would be a good thread to discuss that instead.

Moot at this point anyway, since there wasn't even a disagreement

Dunno how this got so confused :classic_tongue:

As for what we can spend prestige on, I think OP may have cottoned onto something (imaginary disagreements aside). Having some sort of base that you can spend prestige on might be a good idea, so long as it isn't the same base that we can play with now, that's for sure!

In which case, it would have to serve another function than a cool hangout, and maybe reintroducing that old PvP element could be just what it needs! It'd be nice to have some sort of obstacle course laid with traps and defenses that one side has to hold and the other has to attack.

Edited by Tyrannical

Absolutely not.

Prestige is a dumb system that needs to stay in the trash where it belongs.  Replace your INF gain to get Prestige so someone else can buy a lamp for their base.  "Make sure you use SG mode".  If Prestige really has to return, then keep it separate from bases and base props entirely.  And do away with "you earn less INF while grinding Prestige".  

Personally I feel it serves no purpose at all.  It'll just encourage mega-SGs and kill off "personal housing" from a single player/small group of players. Even if Prestige were to take some other form, why even have it?  What purpose would it serve?  Some sort of SG based currency.  SGs should be a gathering of friends or otherwise likeminded players to group up to do the game's more challenging content.  We already have shinies to prove a player's or group's accomplishments.  If Prestige is a currency meant to be spent, what non-Base things would you buy?  Enhancements?  Temp powers?  Merits?  How would these be distributed between SG members fairly?  

@GM Widower I respectfully disagree with any iteration of Prestige. 

Edit:  I thought it over, and if Prestige really must be brought back (if someone in the dev team had a really great idea on what non-Base stuff to spend it on), I think Prestige should be automatic, and not siphon Influence/Infamy gain.  I feel like "SG Mode" should be abandoned as the vestigial feature it is.  I suppose you could tie Prestige exclusively into Base-Defense props but keep all current (cosmetic) props free and immediately available for non-PvP bases designed for show and roleplay.  Perhaps make cosmetic versions of Base-Defense items free as well, with the functional ones costing Prestige.

Edited by dangeraaron10
  • Like 2

Terrible enablement of prisons based on greed, envy, avarice, discrimination. 

Game design needs to be better than an addiction engine, or an enslavement wheel.

Anyway they can do it, if the game mechanics allow it, some seek to make workers/henchmen of other players. 

1928071909_1459007308_35PowerPickaxe.gif.077ddb12507b0733da6e553105e7541c.gif

I've seen it over decades in mmos. Again and again, they can't stop themselves. 

The wildly insane guild leader, being part of loot councils and hearing mindless tripe on why this or that because 'me'. 

Drama, sworded romances, round and round, enthralled by primarily greed. 

It isn't even about the goal, more the vehicle of the goal and its refinement. You are building a wheel to put people on. 

Probably the worst example that springs to mind was in Aion.

I was in a guild that demanded that we not craft at all, but filter all gathered materials to guild crafters. They were gold (kina) sellers. They were allowing their accounts to grind craft levels while leeching a periphery of members to do so.

Stayed there for about two days, leaving when I was caught selling a bottom end armor chestpiece to fund my starter armor crafting. 

There will typically arise a formation of strata within these groups.

Someone, someone's getting screwed over. Nearly all the time. 

It is the game mechanics that allow unfortunately natural human behaviors to arise and sustain them. 

Please don't send us to the salt mines! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dangeraaron10 said:

I feel like "SG Mode" should be abandoned as the vestigial feature it is.

SG Mode is extremely useful. I always promote my current main to guild leader so I can adjust the colors on all my costumes at will. Some days I wear a black shirt, some days a red shirt others a blue shirt. I have tan, blue and black pants... ALL from one costume slot. It's almost like the character has a real person's wardrobe or something crazy like that. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2020 at 5:50 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

this is true on paper but its not longer practical. Most of us no longer have long hours and endless time to dedicate to the grind. We have children, wives, careers, in short responsibilities. the Prestige grind was a time sink that adulting humans can no longer afford. Sorry hard no from me

Also, nobody knows how long the game will be around. Live Shutdown was a total shock with 30 days warning and everything that everyone spent years grinding for was gone.

We get to play now because of a curious combination of benign neglect from the content creators and generosity of the Homecoming hosts.  At any time, circumstances could change and Homecoming could shutdown.

It just boggles my mind that anyone wants to increase grind time when all I want to do is play the fun stuff I never got to play before and skip all the grinding. 

On Live, it was interesting to look for every exploration badge in every zone in order to unlock all the base teleporters, but I totally don't want to do that again.

Likewise, I don't have time to build out my toons *and* a base; I focus on my toons and enjoy the game.

I'm very glad I'd forgotten what Prestige was.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 6:48 PM, Illy said:

It made superbase building a journey 🙂 And it did a great deal to reduce the superfluity and irrelevance of Supergroups in a very easy game. 

Base building was one of the fews things we could "work" toward! Coupled with a return of base pvp, it would be a fun feature. 

I wouldn't mind this, but I think prices for nearly everything should be reduced by 95% to 99%.  Also "supergroup mode" should go away and everyone should just get prestige all the time, along with full XP and Inf.  Considering our much lower populations, I think that's a reasonable compromise to add just a bit of challenge to bases while also making things reasonable on most players.

17 minutes ago, gameboy1234 said:

I wouldn't mind this, but I think prices for nearly everything should be reduced by 95% to 99%.  Also "supergroup mode" should go away and everyone should just get prestige all the time, along with full XP and Inf.  Considering our much lower populations, I think that's a reasonable compromise to add just a bit of challenge to bases while also making things reasonable on most players.

But why.

• Thanks 1

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

I think as it stands, no prestige and everything unlocked is great. I like having all the creative freedom to build my base. That said, I think it would be cool to get base raiding back - maybe in addition to the "free base" with everything unlocked and raiding turned off, we can have a second base or "Forward Operating Base" specifically where you can earn prestige to build components and fight in raids? No requirement for SG mode, if you're playing and you're part of a SG, you are earning prestige.

• Like 1

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

Just now, Drakwatch said:

I think as it stands, no prestige and everything unlocked is great. I like having all the creative freedom to build my base. That said, I think it would be cool to get base raiding back - maybe in addition to the "free base" with everything unlocked and raiding turned off, we can have a second base or "Forward Operating Base" specifically where you can earn prestige to build components and fight in raids? No requirement for SG mode, if you're playing and you're part of a SG, you are earning prestige.

Pretty similar to what I was thinking!

Would mean we get some of the cool raid stuff again too.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:50 AM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

this is true on paper but its not longer practical. Most of us no longer have long hours and endless time to dedicate to the grind. We have children, wives, careers, in short responsibilities. the Prestige grind was a time sink that adulting humans can no longer afford. Sorry hard no from me

You have no time to grind all day in order to get to the top and have "everything", from enhancements to superbase items. Neither do I. I get to play 3-4 hours a week because I am an adult too now. But I am not interested in gettin gto the top and having everything.  this is where there is a major misunderstanding between our two camps. I don't need the game to change so that I can have everything in the game's loot table within my small time constraint.  I am more interested in the journey and I'm content to not be on the top of the ladder instantly or at all. 

Seems like most people are not content with that, and do indeed want the game to provide more and more now that they have less time. 

Edited by Illy

25 minutes ago, Illy said:

You have no time to grind all day in order to get to the top and have "everything", from enhancements to superbase items. Neither do I. I get to play 3-4 hours a week because I am an adult too now. But I am not interested in gettin gto the top and having everything.  this is where there is a major misunderstanding between our two camps. I don't need the game to change so that I can have everything in the game's loot table within my small time constraint.  I am more interested in the journey and I'm content to not be on the top of the ladder instantly or at all. 

Seems like most people are not content with that, and do indeed want the game to provide more and more now that they have less time. 

Rose tinted glasses there. The formula paid model subscriptions use is: the longer they can get you to play the more they can get you to pay. That's what these time sinks were. They are no longer needed. Ther'es nothing wrong with enjoying your journey. I understand the appeal of taking the road less traveled. But i also know there's usually a reason its less traveled.

• Like 4

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

2 hours ago, Illy said:

'Most people'

I seem to have missed when we held that caucus, can you point us to the results?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Illy said:

I agree with you that we clearly have a wide-spread player consensus on the issue, and that prestige shouldn't be brought back.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

5 hours ago, Illy said:

you must not be familiar with these forums

Certain posters making the same posts over and over again is not 'most people'.

You said 'most people'.  Prove it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skoryy said:

Certain posters making the same posts over and over again is not 'most people'.

You said 'most people'.  Prove it.

Even the admins claim to have witnessed a consensus, so have plenty of other posters. Not going to ask them to "prove" anything? Fuck off with your ridiculous requirements. No one is obligated to approach any of this with the readiness of a statistician. This is a hole-in-the-wall game being run on a private server, I'll treat it like that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Illy said:

Fuck off with your ridiculous requirements. No one is obligated to approach any of this with the readiness of a statistician. This is a hole-in-the-wall game being run on a private server, I'll treat it like that. 

Mature.

I guess we can certainly take you seriously from now on.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Illy said:

Even the admins claim to have witnessed a consensus, so have plenty of other posters. Not going to ask them to "prove" anything? Fuck off with your ridiculous requirements. No one is obligated to approach any of this with the readiness of a statistician. This is a hole-in-the-wall game being run on a private server, I'll treat it like that. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Illy said:

So you admit you're trolling. Good to know.

• Like 1