Bring Prestige back

Illy

It made superbase building a journey 🙂 And it did a great deal to reduce the superfluity and irrelevance of Supergroups in a very easy game. 

Base building was one of the fews things we could "work" toward! Coupled with a return of base pvp, it would be a fun feature. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

No thanks.

Grinding to pay for decorations in your house supergroup base never really worked out all that well.  All it did was limit creativity to supergroups that could afford everything they put into their exquisitely sculpted bases.

Prestige no longer serves a useful purpose here on Homecoming ... so it was removed.

• Like 4

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

The direction the devs have gone with bases makes this impossible, since it is an entirely cosmetic focus.

But, perhaps we include a 'classic' version of the base creator, with prestige, power, defenses, all that... then maybe.

It would have to exist as a separate feature to bases though, perhaps called 'holdouts' or something, and would exist primarily for PvP (so likely no cosmetic/utility items, just defenses and power)

Edited by Tyrannical

I avoided joining SGs on live because of Prestige. As soon as you joined an SG, first word out of their mouth was, "Go in SG mode...you get your ranks based off your prestige."

Nah, I like my Influence, thanks.

18 minutes ago, Redlynne said:
18 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

No thanks.

Grinding to pay for decorations in your house supergroup base never really worked out all that well.  All it did was limit creativity to supergroups that could afford everything they put into their exquisitely sculpted bases.

Prestige no longer serves a useful purpose here on Homecoming ... so it was removed.

It does have a useful purpose, as stated in the original post. It creates goals for large groups of people.

Nobody else is bothered by the fact that the game has basically been altered into being a massive free-reins simulator? Everything is just given to the player now. Virtually unlimited double XP, merits, influence, and base items. These used to exist in the form of a limitation that though they created a grind, made "progression" a feature of the game, added to immersion because of this challenge, and added some degree of depth to what is now a brainless custom-scenario version of the game. 

8 minutes ago, Illy said:

It does have a useful purpose, as stated in the original post. It creates goals for large groups of people.

Nobody else is bothered by the fact that the game has basically been altered into being a massive free-reins simulator? Everything is just given to the player now. Virtually unlimited double XP, merits, influence, and base items. These used to exist in the form of a limitation that though they created a grind, made "progression" a feature of the game, added to immersion because of this challenge, and added some degree of depth to what is now a brainless custom-scenario version of the game. 

That's all because the real grind is at level 50 now, and everything prior to that isn't the core challenge in the game anymore.

Level 50 content is the new goal for large groups of people, and there are many things at that level to work toward (Incarnate Powers, Master of X badges, raid drops, so on...)

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

That's all because the real grind is at level 50 now, and everything prior to that isn't the core challenge in the game anymore.

Level 50 content is the new goal for large groups of people.

All of what I mentioned used to be level 50 content as well. 

As a "decorative" base-builder who tends to have a pretty eccentric style... That is to say someone with absolutely zero interest in joining some massive SG full of interpersonal drama, politics and leaders who would likely never let me build the way I wanted to... I'm not only going to say "No" to this idea, I'm going to say "OH, F-ING HELL NO". I remember *exactly* how much of a pain in the proverbial bum it was to grind Prestige for my little one-person base project back in the day and wouldn't want to return to that for anything in the world. 

I could barely afford bookshelves and a potted plant in that little base. Here? I built this.

Not only that, I was able to go back and redecorate the place to host a friend's character's wedding party.

I could never have done that if every single flower and candlestick cost Prestige... 

So, yeah. You better believe I'll push back against the idea of making that kind of thing impossible again. <_<

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 hours ago, Lines said:

I'm all for giving prestige a new function, maybe within bases, maybe beyond. Hard to know what exactly that might be. But it certainly was never a particularly elegant or enjoyable system to begin with.

Rename it to the Enhanced Prestige Elite Explanatory Number and have it display in big letters over the SG owner's head?

More seriously, I'd be happy for base raiding to come back, for the people who enjoy that kind of thing.  But it was broken for a long, long time on live, so I assume there would be issues to sort out.  And it would be unfair to ask the aesthetic base builders to redo their bases completely to comply with base raiding rules, so there would need to be a separate building system for creating 'raid ready' bases. 

Prestige, absolutely not, though.  It was a tiresome grind, that also played up to the power fantasies of the kind of people who want to boss other people around in their hobbies.  (Not all SG owners!  Many SG owners were lovely!  But some were not.)

(@Coyotedancer - Wow! That base room is amazing!)

Edited by Grouchybeast
speeling
  • Haha 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I mean, lest we forget . . . most grind is designed specifically to pad out subscription time, back in the old paradigm.  These sorts of things were never meant to be enjoyed by a rational, sane person.  They were meant to inject a sunk-cost to keep people invested and spending money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

9 hours ago, Illy said:

this is true on paper but its not longer practical. Most of us no longer have long hours and endless time to dedicate to the grind. We have children, wives, careers, in short responsibilities. the Prestige grind was a time sink that adulting humans can no longer afford. Sorry hard no from me

• Like 2

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

1 hour ago, VileTerror said:

I mean, lest we forget . . . most grind is designed specifically to pad out subscription time, back in the old paradigm.  These sorts of things were never meant to be enjoyed by a rational, sane person.  They were meant to inject a sunk-cost to keep people invested and spending money.

Exactly this. Couldn't have said it better myself. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, VileTerror said:

For reasons of https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nw-npzUY2NGc6SFoHa1ByWw202gI8DlT0ZDTQwoR7YM/edit#gid=0 I am going to do something I've never done before, and say:

Hard no.

O.o

Holy crap. I'm scared to even go look at those bases. I saw one recently that had my jaw bouncing off my desk.

That said... mine has 3 rooms, some racks, some porters and a med bay.

Also, hard no. Always hated prestige.

• Thanks 1