Will we ever see the new things that Cake is getting?

Soloshot360

17 hours ago, RubyRed said:

I went back and looked for where it took a nosedive. It was originally a fairly neutral conversation about getting some things that another server has, and the philosophies behind why we may or may not get them.  It wasn't until jubakumbi's first post that anything resembling animosity towards other servers was discussed or implied. Then once he got the conversation steered in that direction he just comes back to the pot to stir every few posts. 

Thank you for the heads up. This is the best way to fight trolling: expose it simply or clearly.

The new power sets and stuff are up on Cake, but it's a big mess unfortunately. A lot of power sets are missing and bases are messed up. For those people complaining that they want more this and more that it is a good example of the tangled code messing things up that are nothing to do with the changes. Homecoming devs try to make as little impact as possible outside of the changes and so far have been doing really well. Cake tried to do something awesome for the players and unfortunately it's going to take them a while to put right whatever it is that went wrong. It's a shame as the cake team seem to be really nice, and they have worked extremely hard to put new things in that have been asked for by a lot of people for a very long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Queen Nefertiti said:

The new power sets and stuff are up on Cake, but it's a big mess unfortunately. A lot of power sets are missing and bases are messed up. ...

Unfortunately, like most game codebases, CoH is a bit messy but more importantly it's a bunch of interlocking systems that interact in ways that are hard to comprehend if you didn't spend years becoming familiar with it. I wouldn't dream of touching anything without a good deal of testing afterwards. This is evidenced even in Homecoming's latest patches.. try to fix some things for tankers and a whole bunch of other things get swept up in the changes.

I appreciate that there are those out there that want to be on the bleeding edge of content, and for those that can stomach the bugs that come along with it, I'm glad they have a place to play. For me personally, stability and playability will always be more important.

• Like 8

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

Been screwing around on cake some, and I guess the old powergamer in me just loves the lack of AOE and aggro caps. It's like a flashback to the old days here (but with current shinies). 

Though the new stuff is definitely causing issues. I imagine they will iron it out eventually. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drbuzzard said:

Been screwing around on cake some, and I guess the old powergamer in me just loves the lack of AOE and aggro caps. It's like a flashback to the old days here (but with current shinies). 

Though the new stuff is definitely causing issues. I imagine they will iron it out eventually. 

I'm the same. I pop in if Homecoming is being quiet or is down for maintenance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Queen Nefertiti said:

The new power sets and stuff are up on Cake, but it's a big mess unfortunately. A lot of power sets are missing and bases are messed up. For those people complaining that they want more this and more that it is a good example of the tangled code messing things up that are nothing to do with the changes. Homecoming devs try to make as little impact as possible outside of the changes and so far have been doing really well. Cake tried to do something awesome for the players and unfortunately it's going to take them a while to put right whatever it is that went wrong. It's a shame as the cake team seem to be really nice, and they have worked extremely hard to put new things in that have been asked for by a lot of people for a very long time.

Yeah, animations are all over the place too

That said, affiliation classes with major in game groups would be awesome, Freakshow, Carnies, Malta, Knives of Artemis etc, etc, give them a first slot special limited costume ala VEATs and boom, craploads more ATs which are little more than dressup really.

It wouldn't matter to me how "sexy" it is, if there were only 17 people online across all the shards to play it. 

I personally have never heard of "We have cake". I can only surmise that this is because they are smaller. I venture to rebirth when HC is down for extended maintenance, which isn't often. I can appreciate the "working for it" aspect of the old Live version, but the cupboards of the AH are bare, so even though I know how to build a base and piles of influence, it is painstakingly slow without folks to buy and sell. 

I am not in the majority, I am afraid. I don't see the need for any new powersets, or content. There is still much to be done for me before what's available gets dull or boring. So, I say, leave the "sexy" alone, and work on what we have for the long run. Then we can worry about the rest. There's little point in putting unpaid hours into development of something that may get stripped away with little warning. 

• Like 4

On 2/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, Soloshot360 said:

All very interesting.  I don't know the cake people, or play on cake so I am only basing my envy on a couple youtube videos that have cropped up.  I think HC is the best long term community and the most legitimate.  Cake looks like a bunch of fans doing fan things, and where that might be fun, I don't know if it is actually viable long term.  I guess more than anything, I would just like to see the people running HC come down from the clouds and say "YES, WE WILL MAKE THE SEXY HAPPEN TOO...."  

fans doing fan things.  Sounds horrible to my imagination.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

Over the past few weeks i found the coxg and we have cake servers. I'm glad i did find them. the newer power sets on both  coxg and we have cake are fun to play even though there a little ruff around the edges. on coxg shotgun power set is fun for tanks. made a shotgun/shield cop. on cake one of the new power sets is all whips for anyone that would want to make one. on coh code do what lynix did and have one main sorce code base for the game. as people like cake makes new power set on there server let them post the code in code base under power sets. if homecomming or another server wants to add that power set they can. right now coh and wow both have the same game killing issues. one the game uses a very old code and game engine. not friendly to add end game content. the content that there gamers get tiered of the same grind whe nthey want to make a new toon on wow or coh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

If you want the stuff on Cake then go play on cake? *shrugs*

Honestly Cake sounds pointless to me, have everything given to you for free, earn nothing. Why even play the game at that point? You can do the same thing here with the test server Pineapple. Just spawn IO's, get lvl 50. Yawn.

Considering fire farms can be done afk and basically accomplish the same thing on homecoming, the difference is a mere matter of degree not actual earning. 

8 hours ago, Fortuneteller said:

If you want the stuff on Cake then go play on cake? *shrugs*

Honestly Cake sounds pointless to me, have everything given to you for free, earn nothing. Why even play the game at that point? You can do the same thing here with the test server Pineapple. Just spawn IO's, get lvl 50. Yawn.

I earned the the time to play the game through work, there is nothing to earn in COH, it's just a game, I do not earn flags flipped in a DB, I play games.

This is the sort of passive-aggressive attitude that, yet again, trying to imply that players who don't play the 'right way' should 'not even bother' makes ths community so much 'better'...

19 hours ago, Ukase said:

So, I say, leave the "sexy" alone, and work on what we have for the long run. Then we can worry about the rest. There's little point in putting unpaid hours into development of something that may get stripped away with little warning. 

Some people are filled with joy through the creation of things.

These creative people are not worried about anything, they are expressing themselves.

There is no reason to look at a hobby through the lens of time-based ROI and long term outcomes on a rogue server that could be gone tomorrow.

There may not be a point to you, there is a huge point to those people that like to be creative, who have dreamed for years of adding something to this game and noe they can express that.

So much "I don't want to do it, so it must not be worth doing"...

Passive aggressive, tribal based, cognitive dissonance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

I earned the the time to play the game through work, there is nothing to earn in COH, it's just a game, I do not earn flags flipped in a DB, I play games.

This is the sort of passive-aggressive attitude that, yet again, trying to imply that players who don't play the 'right way' should 'not even bother' makes ths community so much 'better'...

Some people are filled with joy through the creation of things.

These creative people are not worried about anything, they are expressing themselves.

There is no reason to look at a hobby through the lens of time-based ROI and long term outcomes on a rogue server that could be gone tomorrow.

There may not be a point to you, there is a huge point to those people that like to be creative, who have dreamed for years of adding something to this game and noe they can express that.

So much "I don't want to do it, so it must not be worth doing"...

The "devs" (let's be real, all of them are unpaid volunteers who have real life jobs) on each server have their priorities. And they are allowed to as unpaid developers. Homecoming has it's priorities and other servers have theirs. I prefer HC, especially with the issue of 64 bit vs 32 bit rearing it's head in the immediate future. YMMV.

Edited by golstat2003
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, microc said:

on coh code do what lynix did and have one main sorce code base for the game.

Oh no, that would be an absolute cluster----. The whole basis of this thread is the fact that people on different servers want different things. Not having a shared code base is what allows people like WHC to do whatever they want without impacting others.

52 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

ISo much "I don't want to do it, so it must not be worth doing"...

bait.jpg.b93f5f7f758200cfcecf3448acea0e02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

I don't think we need to psychoanalyse each other here.

Or contrive other people's opinions from misinterpreting their forum posts.

Or be baited, indeed.

It's alright to talk about how we prefer to play and compare which servers match those preferences.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 4

On 2/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, Leogunner said:

I was actually curious if the various teams ever collab about changes. Maybe offer up content that one team has worked on to another team or test certain changes and share the data. 

No, they seem to have a bit of disdain towards each other. It looks like they don't want to set aside their differences long enough to better each other, which I find a huge shame. What's funny is that both sides will tell you that they have tried, but both sides will blame the other side for not letting it go.  /shrugs.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:40 PM, Soloshot360 said:

I think HC is the best long term community and the most legitimate. 

I think that is a VERY dangerous thing to say. It puts off a message that HC somehow has more right to the IP than others or the right to exist more than others. None of them is legitimate. I think at best, we can say HC is the closest thing to what we would have had on Live....even the nerfs they have created mirror's live's nerfs in the way of nerfing sound effects and xp of missions players used to level up faster.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

No, they seem to have a bit of disdain towards each other. It looks like they don't want to set aside their differences long enough to better each other, which I find a huge shame. What's funny is that both sides will tell you that they have tried, but both sides will blame the other side for not letting it go.  /shrugs.

Again, absolutely not cool to speak on behalf of entire groups of people and throw everyone involved under an opinion umbrella. Rebirth, CoXG, Cake, none of those groups can defend themselves here and spreading that misinformation around on our forums doesn't help our community look good.

• Like 2

Just now, NNDeepdish said:

Again, absolutely not cool to speak on behalf of entire groups of people and throw everyone involved under an opinion umbrella. Rebirth, CoXG, Cake, none of those groups can defend themselves here and spreading that misinformation around on our forums doesn't help our community look good.

Ummm, I have spoken with the Devs of Cake. I got my information directly from the horse's mouth. I'm not spreading anything and it is what it is. It's not about making our community look good or look bad, it just is. It's actually typical human behavior. Same thing happened with SWG and other EMU's of other games. It is what it is, and the information I have is neither good nor bad, it simply is.

8 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Ummm, I have spoken with the Devs of Cake. I got my information directly from the horse's mouth. I'm not spreading anything and it is what it is. It's not about making our community look good or look bad, it just is. It's actually typical human behavior. Same thing happened with SWG and other EMU's of other games. It is what it is, and the information I have is neither good nor bad, it simply is.

Yeah? You had conversations with every single individual involved on the cake team and they all said they don't like every other server? Those were their exact words right?

You polled all the other servers as well? They all said the same thing? Where did you log all of this data?

No one for a second believes any of that here. You can take all of that fallacious hearsay to reddit. This community can and should be better than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

14 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

It's not about making our community look good or look bad, it just is. ... It is what it is, and the information I have is neither good nor bad, it simply is.

.... riiiiiiight. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
I'm out.

Just now, NNDeepdish said:

Yeah? You had conversations with every single individual involved on the cake team and they all said they don't like every other server? Those were their exact words right?

You polled all the other servers as well? They all said the same thing? Where did you log all of this data?

No one for a second believes any of that here. You can take all of that fallacious hearsay to reddit. This community can and should be better than that.

That is not what I said, man. I'm gonna let it go though. I'm not trying to blast any dev teams. Not what I was trying to do, just saying that for whatever reason, they are unwilling to share information with each other.