Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

Jimmy

@garnetrising  could we also get that list alphabetized, with the number of times a name was requested, and cross referenced with the requestor's reputation? (because that matters!)

Spoiler
4 hours ago, garnetrising said:

@Bopper On it.

I think I got them all. If I missed any, please let me know. Also, if there are any that you feel like we should eliminate as options, let me know that, too. I think I might try and whittle them down into similar grouping as well.

Suggested alternatives to either Shock Therapy or Electrical Affinity

• Electric Affinity
  • Electro-Therapy
  • Electrical Empowerment
  • Electrical Transformation
  • Electro Stimulation/Electrical Stimulation
  • Electric Bogaloo
  • Electric Support

• Static Cling

• Electrical Interference

• Electropower

• Static Induction

• Electric(al) Conduit/Conduction

• Electrical Regeneration

• Bioelecticity

• Bioelectric Circuit

• Electric(al) Interface

• Shocking Support

• Shocking Beneficence

• Surge Protection/Protector

• Amperage Affinity

• Electroprojection

• Impulse Mastery

• Induction

• Conductive Care

• Static Command

• Voltaic Authority

• Current Direction

• Electric Direction

• Hertz Less

• Ohmic Karma

• Galvanistic Vigor/Galvanic Vigor

• Electric(al) Surge

• Electrofinity

• Zaptastic Response

• Shocking Influence

• Galvanic Response

• Static Conduit

• Static Conduction

• Electrical Discharge

• Electric Conduction

• Static Electric(ity)

• Voltaic Radiation

• Electric Potential

• Galvanism

• Shock and Awwww/Shock and Awe/Shocking Awe

Some additional names I thought of while compiling:

• Static Shock
  • High Voltage
  • Voltaic Cell/Voltaic Circuit

Thanks for putting those in one spot!

@Super Atom you do see how you say 'samey' and then go on to make an argument to keep the same formula as controllers (even though this is a defender power set)?

It's not that you're wrong, you just keep posting the same thing over and over hoping for a different result.

Defender Primaries

Spoiler

Cold Domination

Dark Miasma

Empathy

Force Field

Kinetics

Nature Affinity

Radiation Emission

Sonic Resonance

Storm Summoning

Thermal Radiation

Time Manipulation

Traps

Trick Arrow

Boom Shockalaka

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

From the suggestions so far I think I like "Electrical Interference" and "Galvanism" the best. 

My suggestion to throw in would be "Galvanic Modulation".

Furthermore I think the name, while technically accurate, would be better suited giving more of an impression of support/tempering. "Electrical Affinity" can easily be used for an offensive set in any game as well which is why it might be too broad/generic a term, even with Nature/Darkness Affinity being a thing etc. Just imo. 

Edited by Rinswind

not Boom Shockalaka ??!

err guess there's not real 'boom' though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

@Troo It's on my to-do list. I'm currently running around in-game, but I plan to build a spreadsheet to track name suggestions, how many people have liked (or disliked) a suggestion, as well as who has suggested, like and/or disliked what. It sounds like a lot of work but also sounds fun for the ridiculous data-mining side of my brain. XD

2 minutes ago, garnetrising said:

@Troo It's on my to-do list. I'm currently running around in-game, but I plan to build a spreadsheet to track name suggestions, how many people have liked (or disliked) a suggestion, as well as who has suggested, like and/or disliked what. It sounds like a lot of work but also sounds fun for the ridiculous data-mining side of my brain. XD

Wait wait I was totally joking. Those skills could be put to better use!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, garnetrising said:

Tracking suggestions, sure, great.

Tracking how many people liked or disliked?  Please don't.  It isn't a popularity contest, and the forums are not representative of anything.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Troo said:

Wait wait I was totally joking. Those skills could be put to better use!

I do actually plan to alphabetize the list when I go through to eliminate/combine anything that's similar enough to be a duplicate suggestion. As for the rest, my data-mining brain really does like to do massive spreadsheets, but my gamer brain wins out. Like every time.

• Like 1

So, not to reveal myself as an idiot, but I had to Google the word Galvinism to find out what that means.. If I hadn't just looked it up I'd think it had something to do with the verb "galvanize" and involved delivering rousing speeches. 

I think we need to make an eight grade reading level rule on powerset names. 🙂

(Yes I'm aware Galvanic Sentinel is a power name, but power names don't need to be quickly browsed in the character creation screen. Also I am from Louisiana.)

57 minutes ago, garnetrising said:

I do actually plan to alphabetize the list when I go through to eliminate/combine anything that's similar enough to be a duplicate suggestion. As for the rest, my data-mining brain really does like to do massive spreadsheets, but my gamer brain wins out. Like every time.

There really have been a lot of good suggestions, so I apologize if I came across as dismissive.  Putting them all in a list is a good idea!

@Wavicle Not at all!

Also, I've alphabetized and sorted the suggestions into various categories for easier viewing. If any seem to be extremely popular moving forward, I'll bold them; if they're unpopular, I'll probably strike them out.

For all y'all using small screens, I've put the categories into spoiler lists. I'll be updating this thread moving forward with any further suggestions/edits.

Misc

Spoiler

Amperage Affinity
Current Direction
Hertz Less
High Voltage
Impulse Mastery
Induction
Ohmic Karma

Spark of Life
Surge Protection
Surge Protector
Zaptastic Response

Bioelectric

Spoiler
Bioelectricity
Bioelectric Boost
Bioelectric Circuit

Conduction

Spoiler
Conduction
Conductive Care
Conductive Discharge
Conductive Discord

Electric(al)

Spoiler

Electric(al) Bogaloo

Electric(al) Bond(ing)
Electric(al) Conduction

Electric(al) Conduit
Electric(al) Direction

Electric(al) Discharge

Electric(al) Discord

Electric(al) Empowerment

Electric(al) Evocation

Electric(al) Interface

Electric(al) Interference
Electric(al) Potential

Electric(al) Regeneration
Electric(al) Stimulation
Electric(al) Support
Electric(al) Surge
Electrical Transformation

Electro-

Spoiler

Electro Stimulation
Electrofinity

Electrokinesis

Electromancy
Electropathy
Electropower
Electroprojection
Electroregulation

Electrotherapy

Galvanic

Spoiler

Galvanic Affinity

Galvanic Modulation
Galvanic Response
Galvanic Vigor
Galvanism
Galvanistic Vigor

Shocking

Spoiler

Shocking Awe
Shocking Beneficence
Shocking Influence
Shocking Support

Static

Spoiler

Static Cling
Static Command
Static Conduction

Static Conductivity
Static Conduit

Static Discord
Static Electric(ity)
Static Induction
Static Shock

Static Voltage

Volt-

Spoiler

Voltaic Authority
Voltaic Cell
Voltaic Circuit

Voltaic Induction
Voltaic Radiation

Voltaic Recovery

Voltage Regulation

Edited by garnetrising
More options to ponder. Split "misc" into a couple more groups.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why does everyone think power set names need to be exciting? I mean, i guess they could be but at that rate we have a tremendous amount of things to rename.

I'd like to throw out some suggestions for Archery

Turbo Speed Pointy Stick.

Big ouch rainy hurt

Green Arrow's fast paced lightning speed flying poker.

Edited by Super Atom
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Why does everyone think power set names need to be exciting? I mean, i guess they could be but at that rate we have a tremendous amount of things to rename.

Why shouldn't they be exciting? A name doesn't have to be overly specific to the point of obstructing otherwise viable character concepts in order to be exciting.

In this particular case I think the problem is that the concept of the set evokes a lot of really interesting ideas and themes, but the name is generic enough that without context you wouldn't really have any idea what kind of set it was describing. Electric healing is novel idea, and people don't feel the name lives up to it.

45 minutes ago, Dark Current said:

Exciting names get people to want to play them.

What would you rather play:

Street Justice or Asphalt Affinity?

Street Justice is probably the outlier here. I mean, how exciting is Katana? Exciting names are not exclusively why people play anything, Look at any blast set or most control sets.

23 minutes ago, nzer said:

Why shouldn't they be exciting? A name doesn't have to be overly specific to the point of obstructing otherwise viable character concepts in order to be exciting.

In this particular case I think the problem is that the concept of the set evokes a lot of really interesting ideas and themes, but the name is generic enough that without context you wouldn't really have any idea what kind of set it was describing. Electric healing is novel idea, and people don't feel the name lives up to it.

Never said they can't be, but they also don't have to be based on most sets in the game. The concept of this power set is no more exciting than Electric Control or Electric Melee and both of those are have super generic names. I think Affinity is more exciting than being overly literally like the other electric sets because it could just be named Electric Buffs. It's also not a healing set it just has a heal and not a very good one, if it were I'd personally be pulling for Conductive Care. The issue with 99% of the names suggested *see surge protector* is they are ability names or character names, not power set names. The only real power set names have been things like Electrical Conduction or Electric Support and spoilers those are as generic as affinity.

I'm also dead convinced they named it street justice because savage melee and super strength were taken and they couldn't legally call it batman melee.

Alsoalso a name means nothing for your character concept. I've seen plenty of people make characters out of power sets through the customization that have nothing to do with the name. Off the top of my head, I've seen a lot of neat Egyptian themed characters who use dark armor and make it look like sand instead. The name has absolutely nothing to do with what you use it for, if it did all the alternative models for the melee weapons would be pointless.

Edited by Super Atom

32 minutes ago, Dark Current said:

Exciting names get people to want to play them.

What would you rather play:

Street Justice or Asphalt Affinity?

And yet plenty of people play the simpler named powersets.... just saying. You could call it Kazoo as long as the powers are fun to play. I think Electric Affinity makes much more sense than 99.9% of the suggested ones here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1