Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

Jimmy

3 hours ago, Vanden said:

If they were launching a new Controller primary set, nobody would bat an eye if it was "<something> Control." Same thing if it was a new Dominator secondary called "<something> Assault."

Just because other sets are named poorly, doesn't mean it's okay for new sets to also be named poorly. And this new set isn't a control or assault set, it's a support set, which for the most part are uniquely named.

1 hour ago, Trickshooter said:

At one point, the plan wasn't to have these kind of generic names that some of the Control and elemental Melee sets have now.

It's a shame they pivoted, because all the alternative names are, IMO, way better than the generic ones. It's also very odd to me that only some of the names were changed to be generic. If they were going to pivot one way or the other they should have at least been consistent.

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

unless many of the "Never Affinityers" can coalesce around an opposition candidate, I think that Affinity has built a commanding lead merely by being the one suggested by the Dev team.

Shock Therapy was suggested by the dev team too. Did those opposed to it coalesce around Electrical Affinity?

My vote would be for Electrical Conduction, which actually fits the naming convention for support sets.

1 minute ago, nzer said:

Just because other sets are named poorly, doesn't mean it's okay for new sets to also be named poorly. And this new set isn't a control or assault set, it's a support set, which for the most part are uniquely named.

Your argument is sound, but it would only apply if the set was named poorly, which it is not.

1 minute ago, Vanden said:

Your argument is sound, but it would only apply if the set was named poorly, which it is not.

Opinions vary.

Glad there is an outlet to allow folks to share their thoughts.

Would folks like to see awesome names for new power sets, maybe. Does it really matter - No.

At least not until you ask a marketing person.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

7 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I wasn't suggesting it was poorly named (though it is), I'm simply pointing out that the control and assault sets are poorly named, and that "this name would be fine if it was a control or assault set" is therefore not a compelling argument.

6 minutes ago, nzer said:

I wasn't suggesting it was poorly named (though it is), I'm simply pointing out that the control and assault sets are poorly named, and that "this name would be fine if it was a control or assault set" is therefore not a compelling argument.

They’re not poorly-named either. Their names tell you succinctly and clearly the theme of the sets, which is exactly what a set name should do.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Vanden said:

They’re not poorly-named either. Their names tell you succinctly and clearly the theme of the sets, which is exactly what a set name should do.

Well we disagree on that front.

3 minutes ago, Silverbolt said:

I'm pasting these suggestions from the other thread I commented on. 

Electrotherapy

Spark of Life

Bioelectricity

Voltaic Recovery

Bioelectric Boost 

@garnetrisingare you still tracking these? If so, maybe Jimmy can flag your list as a "Recommended Post" that everyone can link directly to from the front page.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

3 minutes ago, Bopper said:

@garnetrisingare you still tracking these? If so, maybe Jimmy can flag your list as a "Recommended Post" that everyone can link directly to from the front page.

I just started tracking them in this thread, didn't know I could do that until a few minutes ago. Was kind of late to the party on this particular post, though, it seems. 

On 3/4/2020 at 7:52 AM, Bopper said:

I am. Been a crazy few days at work, but am updating with pages 9 and 10 now. 🙂  (Edit: And done.)

Also, @Vanden , the poet in me loves the alliteration.

Edited by garnetrising

8 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Because testing is hard and time consuming but coming up with names is easy.

Also, some people are at work/traveling/busy and can't actually play.  Would you rather people who aren't playing the set to give feedback on that set?

Has anyone else noticed that when you create a character, the Electrical Affinity shows up on the top left when managing enhancements (iirc), but if you scroll down on the bottom right it shows Electricity Affinity. Curious why different names show up.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

On 3/3/2020 at 12:47 PM, Vanden said:

I prefer if things are named succinctly also.

Edited by golstat2003