What Set Would You Need to Complete Your Concept? (Not a Suggestions Thread)

VileTerror

Not that I want to stop anyone from making genuine suggestions for any ideas which get shared in this thread, but I just thought it would be fun to spitball ideas that would complete a concept you've had sitting in your head, but no existing Sets really -work- for.  I know I've got plenty!

Contractor Tools Melee - like the weapons which the Dockworkers and Scrapyarders use, along with a bludgeoning Wrench and Shovel.  This would be for one of my "salt of the earth, work-a-day civilian of the Etoile Isles" Villains.

Bondage Control - ropes, and chains, and cuffs, and . . . look, it's not sexualized or fetishized unless you make it that way!  Japan has a rich history with practical shibari for the samurai!  . . . stop looking at me like that.

Dagger Assault - stabbing and throwing, preferably with a Combo Mechanic like Dual Blades.  To pair with my previous suggestion for a Dominator concept I have.  SERIOUSLY, STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!

Vocal Control - low-damage/high-control&debuff Set which compels enemies to just surrender over time.  That, or it deals Untyped Damage, making up for the lower damage by just being unresistable.  I've got a LOT of low-/non-powered characters who I'd reroll from Mind Control in an instant if this became available.

Verbal Assault - see above.

Grenade Control - this one is more to fill a void in the Control Set roster than for any specific concept I have in mind already, but by gawd!  I would use that Set so much!  We already have plenty of AoE Grenade Powers with Control-y Effects.  Honestly, this one should be low-hanging fruit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gatling Gun or other Heavy Ranged

Throwing Knives (similar to your daggers +1)

Whips (+1)

..and I kid you not, requested on live:

Garbage Assault

• Throwing random fruits and vegetables for damage, slows or debuffs
  • Throwing rotten fruits and vegetables for damage, slows or debuffs
  • Broken bottles patch (similar to caltrops)
  • Larger garbage like old TVs, printers or copy machines
  • Garbage on fire
  • etc
  • Inspired by Gravity Control> Propel & Origin Powers like Taser Dart

Why? Because there should be a less serious power set.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I dunno . . . Garbage Assault could be a somewhat serious Set too, depending on the character's backstory.  I'll +1 it, even though I can foresee some very problematic uses for such a Set.

Although, an "Improvised Weapons" or "Bar Room Brawler" Set might be a better way to implement a similar theme.

*continues looking at Vile 'like that'*

Edit to add to convo:

Id like to talk enemies to death.  Lectures and screaming matches, quips and barbs...I said QUIPS not WHIPS...

Yeah..a chatterbox set.

Edited by EmmySky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EmmySky said:

*continues looking at Vile 'like that'*

Edit to add to convo:

Id like to talk enemies to death.  Lectures and screaming matches, quips and barbs...I said QUIPS not WHIPS...

Yeah..a chatterbox set.

vicious mockery is fine, but dissonant whispers is OP using RAW and attacks of opportunity

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is an odd situation i have. I love super strength concepts.  SS in game is good. But it does nit match my concept. If you compare Invul and Willpower and get a good idea on how they differ i would want a STrength power set that is maybe not as Invul and more WP. And ti really get my dream a Brute class that does not depend on Anger mechanic. So no Rage and no Fury. Just a Str/Will Brick who does super stuff

• Like 1

I've had a few ideas for characters that were "leader" types who could still hold their own, so for me, it wouldn't so much be what "sets", as much as some sort of melee/summon hybrid AT.  Possibly with doppelgangers.  But that would just be reaching (then again, isn't that what this topic is for, I guess?).

Also, I love Martial Assault, but have had a hard time coming up with a good Dominator pairing for it, so translating some of the powers to a full-ranged "throwing weapons" set would be a nice alternative step in the first direction.

18 minutes ago, Snarky said:

So no Rage and no Fury. Just a Str/Will Brick who does super stuff

Oh, yes, yesplzkthx.

One of the things I could do on CO which was a lot of fun was rifle and sword... starting from range and moving to melee in a very deadly fashion. I really enjoyed that concept a lot, as a kind of "dragoon" type fighter.

I also like the idea of "wire control" - using wire to entangle and restrict enemies, see Haywire from Mark Grunewald's classic Squadron Supreme (which IMNSHO remains an unsung classic of the genre and one of the singularly most influential stories ever told in comics)

What we don't really have in this game is the "Man in the Chair" - the mastermind/Great Scientist who uses their powers to influence events away from the battlefield - I'm thinking here of characters such as Professor X, The Leader & Puppeteer, Professor Broom, Alfred/Jarvis, even Reed Richards. Even in comicdom these guys were often flung into the thick of it because of the limitations of the mediium but I like the idea of the ultimate remote "Battlemaster" who is controlling things from a distance. Difficult to do in this game but possible.

Tentacles - we have a great mechanic in game that is underused. It's most famously Lusca, but also Vines in Plant Control and even in some Dark powers but it could become an entire set of wiggly grasping things that hold, immob, debuff, damage and even eat (we've got the mouths of Mot now) enemies. Combining that with a few Leviathan powers we'd have an amazing and fun set.  Or 4.

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

12 hours ago, Troo said:

Gatling Gun or other Heavy Ranged

Throwing Knives (similar to your daggers +1)

Whips (+1)

Garbage Assault

• Throwing random fruits and vegetables for damage, slows or debuffs
  • Throwing rotten fruits and vegetables for damage, slows or debuffs
  • Broken bottles patch (similar to caltrops)
  • Larger garbage like old TVs, printers or copy machines
  • Garbage on fire
  • etc
  • Inspired by Gravity Control> Propel & Origin Powers like Taser Dart

Why? Because there should be a less serious power set.

This suggestion is rubbish!

(sorry, but someone had to! 😄 )

• Haha 4

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I would really love some form of single-pistol powerset rather than having to go Dual PIstols all the time, with the choice between more reserved/"realistic" animations or the flashy Wanted/Equilibrium-style stuff like DP has.

Along the same lines, a single-sword style that has pokey stabby fencing animations so that I can use the Rapier weapon skin without having to pick Dual Blades. I'm actually enjoying my current DB character a lot, but it's not perfect!

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

see Haywire from Mark Grunewald's classic Squadron Supreme (which IMNSHO remains an unsung classic of the genre and one of the singularly most influential stories ever told in comics)

Completely correct, objective fact, print this out and frame it, etc. Amazing comic, one of the best ever.

13 hours ago, Troo said:

Garbage Assault

This makes me think of some of The Thing's powers in the sadly-defunct Marvel Heroes, like "Bronx Beatdown", where you could whack people with a parking meter, "Downtown Discus", where he threw a manhole cover like Cap's shield....I want that! Put that in!

• Like 1

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

14 hours ago, VileTerror said:

Dagger Assault - stabbing and throwing, preferably with a Combo Mechanic like Dual Blades.  To pair with my previous suggestion for a Dominator concept I have.  SERIOUSLY, STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!

This is entirely doable now I think. There's a few options you could have within the set such as the simple shiv stab to the karambit and of course the deadly commando blade between the ribs (used to deadly effect by British and US special forces in WWII ( reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn–Sykes_fighting_knife )

This set would encourage me to play a vicious Stalker, an AT I've never gotten to grips with.

I'd like an all throwing set.  like granades, or boomerangs... ok, lets just go with boomerangs, cause that's cooler than a grenade.   I want it to fit with a traps/gadget feel to make a hobgoblin style toon.  There's lost of powers there already as individual pieces.  We just need to put it together in a blast set.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I've been playing the old TSR Marvel Superheroes for decades and the power I have always wished they would have included was Water Control.

I know I can play the Water Blast set, but CoH has no Water Control to go with it. I have to settle for ice.

Aquacat Sig.jpg

Aquacat (Level 50 (Vet 38) Water/Regen Sentinel, Indomitable, 905 badges)

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:32 PM, Sif said:

That's only one word, let me fix that for you:

Shotgun Melee

Or "shotgun microphone" to go with the stealth set. It allows you to interact with evidence from a distance.

Edited by LordXenophon

Aquacat Sig.jpg

Aquacat (Level 50 (Vet 38) Water/Regen Sentinel, Indomitable, 905 badges)

Oddly enough, one of my concept characters doesn't need a *set* addition, but simply a change in the Costume Editor to allow for some non-heroic (ok, overweight, out-of-shape, non-athletic) characters to be created.  🙂

The concept is one of those stereotypical Walmart shoppers. You know, the very large, very vocal, mean tempered person you *definitely Do NOT* want to get in the way of during a blue light special, for fear of being fatally trampled  😉

Unfortunately, the Character Editor makes all the characters athletic and muscular -- ie. from the Olympic Gymnast look in the small sizes to the Buffed up Body-Building Terminator in the large sizes.

Oh well, maybe someday...  😉

Cheers,

• Like 1