Go. Fold. Kill Coronavirus. Join the Homecoming Folding@home Team Today!

Jimmy

On 3/24/2020 at 4:16 AM, Sealdy said:

Hope it is a bit more clear now.

Very much so, thank you! I felt as though I were only "partly" following this conversation.  I'll go and give it a try now, in firefox here, and see where we're at!  Cheers!

6 Minutes later:

Folding already!  Fast and easy to get set up, so thanks for the clarification!  I'm sure there's still more to learn about the process, but I'm going.   Cheers again!

Edited by Jackanapesink
Update the ease of the process
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, JayboH said:

Medium on all machines.  They get WU but it's pretty rare.  They go hours without fairly often.

One thing to note it there is a mechanic in the software to request less and less frequently if the previous attempt was unsuccessful. Right now, my GPU is folding, but the CPU has not received a WU in a while, due to 10 or so unsuccessful attempts in a row. Now, it won't even ask for another for over 5 hours. 

Workaround: Quit the system tray icon (Pause first if the other part(s) of the system are active so you don't lose data since last checkpoint), then re-open; it will reset the cooldown on asking for a WU. No guarantee this will get you anything if they don't have WU's available, as right now there's more PC power available than they can utilize, but I personally don't care for the longer request timer as it's a waste of my idle CPU cycles.

-If anyone knows how to turn that, uh, feature off, I'd be mighty grateful.

17 hours ago, Chebeq said:

Workaround: Quit the system tray icon (Pause first if the other part(s) of the system are active so you don't lose data since last checkpoint), then re-open; it will reset the cooldown on asking for a WU.

In the Advanced Control window, clicking the Pause button and then clicking the Fold button seems to accomplish the same thing.

2 hours ago, RikOz said:

In the Advanced Control window, clicking the Pause button and then clicking the Fold button seems to accomplish the same thing.

in the advanced control you can right click on the processor in the folding slot and pause and restart folding on a per processor basis so you wont loose any progress on of the other one is currently folding...

Edited by Snowdaze

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

You folks are awesome!  Thanks for this.  Folding on my gaming PC, looking into getting the client up and running on a Linux box...cause I have 3 of those in the hisouse....

I work in healthcare.  Hard not to weep watching my coworkers who are more front-line than I am.  Thanks for a sense of control...however small.  In this air of global-cultural grief, every ounce of influence for better we can feel sounts. 

And a badass science-distributed-computer-network-ima-post-on-fb one.  

Go COVIDCOHHFT! (COVID City of Heroes Homecoming Folding Team!)  

Seriously tho, y'all rock.

4 hours ago, Snowdaze said:

in the advanced control you can right click on the processor in the folding slot and pause and restart folding on a per processor basis so you wont loose any progress on of the other one is currently folding...

7 hours ago, RikOz said:

Nice, thanks!

Finally got the client to find my GPU (which is vastly more powerful than my CPU). Been chugging along and I'm even ranked now. Huzzah. 

COH team is ranked 572 (191 for just match). I'm proud of yall, even if we're not mostly helping coronavirus, I love seeing this community pull together and do what they can!

Edited by Pizzamurai
  • Like 1

@JayboHI haven't seen any settings to differentiate between the two. If it's there, it's likely in the configuration for slots... I'm not tech savvy enough to figure that part out though. 

In other news the folding page seems to have some trouble updating. Glitchy in general right now. I've done 19 work orders but the page still says 14. So, fear not if you good folks are working and haven't seen your progress. Just gotta wait and see when it updates next. 

Edited by Pizzamurai

16 hours ago, JayboH said:

Is there a way to make the GPU calcs kick in only when idle and allow the CPU calcs to keep going at medium or full?

In the Advanced Control app, you can pause the CPU or the GPU independently. You might be able to set it to "Full" and then manually pause the GPU. I'm not sure that would, and I'm not at home at the moment to test it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hardship said:

In the Advanced Control app, you can pause the CPU or the GPU independently. You might be able to set it to "Full" and then manually pause the GPU. I'm not sure that would, and I'm not at home at the moment to test it.

Yeah I asked if there was a way to make the GPU only kick in when the machine was idle while at the same time having the CPU on medium or full.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

2 hours ago, Legion of One said:

I have a passkey, but no idea what to do with it.

Open "Advanced Control" by clicking on the app icon in your system tray. Click "Configure", and select the "Identity" tab. Passkey can be entered there.

4 hours ago, JayboH said:

Yeah I asked if there was a way to make the GPU only kick in when the machine was idle while at the same time having the CPU on medium or full.

Now that I'm home, it looks like each Folding Slot lets you choose On Idle if you'd like. For this screenshot I have the "main" setting to run on Full and the Slot ID 01 is my GPU, which I selected at "On Idle". It doesn't quite show in the screenshot but it says Paused:waiting for idle on the GPU ID.

image.png.df8f6cfbbd5e0ea53eb2b0d56dec1803.png

On 3/23/2020 at 2:44 PM, Jimmy said:

Details on the new prizes:

• 10 randomly chosen contributors with at least 5 Work Units complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice
  • 10 randomly-chosen contributors with at least 1 Work Unit complete (outside the top 10) each month will receive 500 Reward Merits and a permanent costume power of their choice

The above have replaced the 10 x 500 Merits random draws.

Some stats from the first few days:

• Nearly 300 contributors have joined the team
  • Over 100 million points have been earned with over 4,500 Work Units completed
  • We're already in the top 1,000 teams for the entire month of March
  • More stats here

It's great that they are giving everyone who does any contribution at all a chance for reward merits. but I think it would be pretty cool (and encourage maximum participation) if they gave a straight merit reward to everyone who crossed a certain threshold (outside of the top 10), like 200 merits if you do 100 WU in a month, or if you reach 2 million points... something like that. Maybe starting from month 2, so they could determine what a reasonable threshold is. 

Just my humble opinion.

Edited by Darthwxman

hmm.... ok, "Estimated Points" are obviously WWWAAAAAYYYY different than what are credited!

... I have been watching my log and have done numerous WUs with 'estimated' credit above 100,000 (over 10 out of my 14), yet my total points is barely above 200k (up to date by the time-stamp).

Oh well - never thought I would be one of the top 10 (yes, HOPED obviously, but let's be realistic about it!!) and am doing this to hopefully make a difference.  Love how the community of a game as old as ours (2004... that's what? 1700s in 'computer years'?) is rocketing up the scoreboard of contributors!!  Always have said we have the best people - now we can prove it!

• Like 2

• City Council
12 hours ago, Darthwxman said:

It's great that they are giving everyone who does any contribution at all a chance for reward merits. but I think it would be pretty cool (and encourage maximum participation) if they gave a straight merit reward to everyone who crossed a certain threshold (outside of the top 10), like 200 merits if you do 100 WU in a month, or if you reach 2 million points... something like that. Maybe starting from month 2, so they could determine what a reasonable threshold is. 

Just my humble opinion.

It is actually something we've considered. Right now the account matching and issuing of prizes has to all be done manually so we didn't want to have too many individual prizes. If we figure out a way to automate it in the future then we likely will have consistent rewards for reaching certain thresholds each month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!