Wealth - How to spend?

Obus Form

How do you spend your wealth?

- Sit in email

- Maximized into your assets in the market via 200 slots/toon x 30 toons per server

- Donate to your SG

- Fund all your alts

On what/how do you spend your influence?

And if the Devs could/would add, what items/costumes/powers would you suggest as influence sinks/displays of wealth?

As a Mainoholic/min-maxer, I ask because boredom is settling in after 10 months of wealth accumulation without new shinies.

Edited by Obus Form

Other players.

Help other players out. It often costs much less than say a purple enhancement and returns more value.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, MunkiLord said:

These days I give away more influence than I spend, but only when it amuses me. Other than that, my influence sits in email until I get around to powerleveling another character.

Indeed that's what's happening these days for me.  Perhaps I lack fulfillment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troo said:

Other players.

Help other players out. It often costs much less than say a purple enhancement and returns more value.

Perhaps this is the good path to walk.

I do it occasionally, but maybe a regular thing or funding contests could return tons more value to others

At this point I mostly look for interesting new things to do with my INF in the market (other than manipulation). Went on a huge binge buying and opening super packs over the last few months. I thought it’d decrease my wealth, but I Actually made some money. 

I have my super base filled with well over a thousand ATOs, LoTGs and purples. So when a new alt comes along I can easily outfit from there. 

I stopped buying recipes, forging them, converting them and selling them as I was getting click fatigue. I will probably go back to it at some point to try different strategies. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

At a certain point, and I think many of us hit this point a long time ago, we find ourselves in a “post-needs” society.  There’s nothing I can spend inf on anymore.  So it just becomes a habit of frugality, or a personal challenge to get from point A to point B in as efficient or elegant a way as possible.  Sure I could buy something NOW for 25mm, but I’d much rather buy something similar overnight at 17mm and spend 1-4mm making it into the thing I wanted all along.  It’s a disease...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

13 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

At a certain point, and I think many of us hit this point a long time ago, we find ourselves in a “post-needs” society.  There’s nothing I can spend inf on anymore.  So it just becomes a habit of frugality, or a personal challenge to get from point A to point B in as efficient or elegant a way as possible.  Sure I could buy something NOW for 25mm, but I’d much rather buy something similar overnight at 17mm and spend 1-4mm making it into the thing I wanted all along.  It’s a disease...

Yeah, I agree on frugality for IOs.

Crafting, I'm still at need now prices (btw, rare salvage down to 425k, and uncommon down to 12.5k).

To re-ignite /AH fever, I made a goal to fund the weekly guild event with 1 billion inf prize money minimum.  Am currently 1/2 way there ish.... it's a lot of human hours spent clicking "CONVERT CONVERT CONVERT!!!" to hit 1 billion profit/week instead of actually enjoying the game itself.

Edited by Obus Form
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bigger question, as someone with serious alt-itis, is how do you guys make so much money? Like, 1 billion per week? Are you making it by like fire farming or are you playing the AH and stepping on a bunch of little guys to keep the prices up and your profits large or... selling yourself in pocket d?

13 minutes ago, Pizzamurai said:

The bigger question, as someone with serious alt-itis, is how do you guys make so much money? Like, 1 billion per week? Are you making it by like fire farming or are you playing the AH and stepping on a bunch of little guys to keep the prices up and your profits large or... selling yourself in pocket d?

Before money question:

Before answering the money question, at least for me and if you allow a personal sharing, I'm a mainoholic power-gaming efficiency-only player.  I'm like this in real life (international piano performance, pharmaceutical industry, etc).  I want freedom, so I need Power.  In this game Power = Game Mechanics + Effective build + Influence + Actual Game Play (accolades, raid knowledge to lead, some charisma, etc) + a Great Guild.  Gaining in-game influence was a necessary by-product of that desire.

Money question:

AFK farming sometimes, /AH flipping rarely, /AH converting always.  It's 2.5 hours a night clicking "CONVERT CONVERT CONVERT!!!!" than actual gaming --> Sheer boredom --> Sometimes I fall asleep on my chair.  If I could pay someone in-game influence to click for me, I would lol.

Money question (real answer):

DJ Zero pays top dollar for my body.  I'm going to need surgery....again

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pizzamurai said:

1) I do think that a fire farmer is part of any good inf. generating program.  Not only do you get a decent amount of Influence but you also get a lot of drops of salvage and recipes that can be sold, or crafted, converted and sold.  Add to that a second account with a fire farmer.  I know that not everyone likes to farm or PL but it just opens up so many possibilities that you may consider holding your nose and doing it for a little bit every week.  You don't have to farm 24/7.

2) Patience is your friend.  People complain about the price listed in /AH at any given time.  The price of most things varies wildly over time.  You probably won't get an LoTG +7.5 for 1 inf (but you might!) but you also don't have to pay whatever the going rate is . . . say 7 million dollars.  Put in a bid for 3.5 million and leave it there for a week and see if it fills . . . or 5 million . . . or 6 million . . . or whatever price you want.  The worst thing that will happen is that you may not get it at your price.  Obviously, the closer you are to the going rate the more likely you are to win a bid and the faster it will fill.

3) Buy low/Sell high.  There are lots of cheap recipes and crafted IOs that you can buy and convert into high-demand valuable items.  Converter roulette pays VERY well.  Again, patience is your friend.  Put in a lowball bid for 10 and let it sit.  Come back a few days later to find it filled!  Then convert those into valuable items.

4) How do I know what's valuable?  Think of the things you always want for your build.  Or if you are unsure, look at other peoples Mids builds.  Generally speaking, everyone uses defense, resists, and heals in their builds.  If you do plan your build, see if you can buy 10 of whatever IO you need (using patient bids).  Slot one, store one, sell the other eight.  I think you'll find that you'll end up with much more than you spent.

5) Be conscious of crafting costs.  Level 50 recipes cost a little under 500k to craft, but each level lower is cheaper.  This market puts any specific recipe in a bucket with all the other same recipes, regardless of price.  In other words, it costs exactly the same amount to buy a level 20 Scirocco's proc recipe as a level 50 Scirocco's proc, but the crafting costs are MUCH higher for the 50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

5) Be conscious of crafting costs.  Level 50 recipes cost a little under 500k to craft, but each level lower is cheaper.  This market puts any specific recipe in a bucket with all the other same recipes, regardless of price.  In other words, it costs exactly the same amount to buy a level 20 Scirocco's proc recipe as a level 50 Scirocco's proc, but the crafting costs are MUCH higher for the 50.

Don't ever craft a lvl 50 recipe (except purple).  Lvl 50 cost 490,400 to craft.  Lvl 49 costs less than half that, and crafting costs drop from there.  If you need a level 50, craft a lower level, and either sell it and use the proceeds to buy a 50 or buy it from yourself (two different characters).  

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Pizzamurai said:

At the risk of monologuing...

I make all my inf on the AH.  Once upon a time I started to write a guide about how to make a billion, but got bored. 

TL;DR version:

To make a billion, find something that makes a million and do it a thousand times.

I came up with over 50 general ways to make a few mm inf quickly, and it mainly boils down to the three Cs:

Crafting:  For whatever reason, you can craft something and sell it for more that the component pieces.

Converting:  Converters are truly magic.  Lots of guides available.

CTrading:  CBuy at the low end of the range, CSell at the high end of the range.

Never forget the vig.  The 9:10 ratio defines what your break even is (buy at 900, sell at 1,000, pay 100 in fees).  I don't work for under 7:10 and that's only with really high flow and high base value.  I usually work for something like 5:10 unless I'm converting when I work for something like 1-2:10.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

I plow pretty much everything back into my crews' builds, either getting New and Better Toys for older characters or equipping new ones as they come along.

I've never seen a horde of INF just... sitting there, doing nothing except being a big number... as all that much fun. So, I try to turn it into something I *do* find more entertaining instead. 'Big Damage numbers or big Defense numbers or big Recharge numbers or what-have-you. XD 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 3/20/2020 at 4:02 PM, MunkiLord said:

Other than that, my influence sits in email until I get around to powerleveling another character.

In the old days, we had to worry about emails (and attachments) being purged after some length of time.  Do we not have that concern now?

<goes to pull inf emails onto unused toons til we get a definite answer> 

yeah, i could make more, but since i don't really need inf anymore except to give away I'm not about to actively seek it ('actively' being in this case afk farming while i do other things).

edit: went to do ^^^ and i have an inf email from 1/18. so if there is still a purge it's no longer the 60 days mentioned on paragonwiki. wiki also says there was a countdown system patched in to the original no warning purge. Guessing no countdown + email over 60 days = no purging on HC, but would still like to know officially.

Edited by Veelectric Boogaloo
update
  • Like 1

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I'm also a main-aholic with wealth (not too crazy, but maybe 3 billion spread over a few toons).

I came back to the game in May last year, made my Main (Time/DP/Soul defender) at the time I was doing initial proc research...so June? That was my only IO'd out build. Which wasn't really a crazy expensive build (500M?), since it was proc centric and relies on PB+Farsight for survivability. Anyways, that was my main for all of 2019 while also building up wealth through AH.

I finally felt the need to do something with the money, and in January my creative juices started rolling, and I decided to make a proof of concept Stone/SS/Soul Tank that used procs to be sufficient at DPS. Spent enough to maximize its offensive performance without sacrificing the defense too much (hit softcap and hard caps and max HP, but no padding for debuffs). Anyways, I still had a fortune, so I decided to IO out a 2nd build for pure survivability on any content. Hitting softcap in everything but psi in Granite, while hitting softcap on psi in Minerals, while being resistance capped in all types (including psi). Throw in 550% regen while Rooted and able to run ~30 mph in granite, I basically had my 2nd main. One build for offense/farming, the other for pure tanking.

But I still had vast wealth...in fact it grew as I casually flipped on AH and made resources farming. So, I decided to try out a new min/max idea on 3 things I never played before, but I knew was powerful from its FOTM. So I made my first ever scrapper, playing TW for the first time, and Bio for the first time. It was more of a project to learn things I know nothing about but all were popular amongst the community. So I PL'd it, designed a build on test server, didnt like how it played, so I shelved it. I sat on it for about 6 weeks before returning to it a week ago and play tested enough to get a better feel for Momentum and Absorb mechanics. Then I went into min/max mode again. Designed it for softcap of S/L/E/N/F/C, high max HP while being nearly absorb-capped with a single Ablative Carapace. Spent my wealth on all the IOs, and enhancement boosters. And I came to really like the character. Hits like a truck, doesnt slow down. Doesnt get hit. Pretty fun character.

So long story short, I decided to spend my wealth on pet projects that allow me to min/max new ATs that I can have in my arsenal. Next I plan to make a Blaster of some type, maybe a Ice/Atom that I can turn into a hybrid (which I like to do with my characters), that can both bring the damage while bringing control.

It that's something you like to do, take on puzzles to solve, you might try the route I took in creating new Alts, but not for the purpose of Alt-itis, but the challenge of creating the best build possible

Edited by Bopper
  • Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

9 hours ago, Veelectric Boogaloo said:

<goes to pull inf emails onto unused toons til we get a definite answer> 

yeah, i could make more, but since i don't really need inf anymore except to give away I'm not about to actively seek it ('actively' being in this case afk farming while i do other things).

edit: went to do ^^^ and i have an inf email from 1/18. so if there is still a purge it's no longer the 60 days mentioned on paragonwiki. wiki also says there was a countdown system patched in to the original no warning purge. Guessing no countdown + email over 60 days = no purging on HC, but would still like to know officially.

The purge doesn't occur for emails, only for /AH auctions.  But then by issue 12, /AH no longer steals your unclaimed auctions as long as your character has logged in within 60 days.

IIRC, emails never expire unless sent to an account that no longer exists (essentially, the email is sent into oblivion).