New Beam Rifle Sound Effects Mod

Solarverse

Please refer to this thread for all future questions and comments.

New Beam Rifle Sound Effects!

(Detailed Explanation)

Edit: Modified the Aim SFX as of 3/22/2020

Edit: Modified Overcharge Hit SFX 3/22/2020

Edit: Modified All SFX Volumes 3/23/2020

I have personally never liked the sound effects for Beam Rifle. I have tried out another mod, and although it was a huge improvement over the original and I do believe that would be the better mod for some players; depending on taste, it just wasn't quite for me. So I did a little searching for sound bites and did a little mixing to come up with this new Sound Mod for Beam Rifle.

These sounds have more of a thump to them rather than a buzz (if that makes any sense) with a bit more bass, giving them a heavy hitting sound effect that makes me personally feel like my shots are hitting very hard. The longer animated abilities no longer have a continuous beam sound, but rather a rapid fire sound. I know it is not a rapid fire animation, but after trying it out, I find that it somehow works. I went to great lengths to time the sound effects to fit the animations and for those of you who prefer a hard hitting beefy sound, this sound effects zip file may be just what you were waiting for.

Just like my Peace Bringer Sound Effects "Hum" Mod, I have copied and pasted the instructions on how to install below. The Zip file is at the bottom of this thread. Enjoy!

Instructions (Destructions?)

• First, unzip the file beneath the instructions and open the folder.
  • Find your City of Heroes folder and open it up.

(If you see a Data Folder)

• Open the Data Folder.
  • Open the Sound Folder
  • Open the Ogg Folder
  • Open the Powers Folder
  • Copy all files from opened Zip file and drag them to the Powers Folder
  • Close all folders and restart game

(If you do not have a Data Folder or any other folder mentioned above!)

• Inside the City of Heroes Folder...
  • Create a Folder and name it Data
  • Open the Data Folder and create another folder and name it Sound
  • Open the Sound Folder and create yet another folder and name it Ogg
  • Open the Ogg Folder and you've guessed it, create a folder and name it Powers
  • Copy all files from the opened Zip file that I have provided and drag all of the files to the Powers Folder
  • Close all folders and restart game

If you have some of the folders mentioned above, but some folders are missing, then create the missing folders and place them in order of how they are listed above. Once finished, copy and drag the files from the Zip folder below and place them inside the Powers Folder. Then close the City of Heroes Folder and restart the game.

Zip file is below. Enjoy!

Beam Rifle SFX Mod.zip

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Great Idea!

We could probably use a few of these type mods. 

There is another Beam Rifle mod out there. I suggest giving it a try as well. It's not my mod, but options are always nice. There is also a mod out there for Sonic (also not mine) attacks, I use that as well. Not sure if any others exist out there other than the two I have and the other two mentioned.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Six Six said:

Also, could you point me to the Sonic SFX Mod and the other BR SFX Mod?

I thought they were on the Guides boards, but I am not finding them. I do know they are somewhere on these forums. I'll have to search later tonight after I get off from work.

30 minutes ago, Six Six said:

Thanks for the effort, Cosmic Soldier. I'll go search for it if they're just around the forums. 😃

I love playing Sonic, but the SFX does get to me after a while

I'm fairly certain you'll enjoy this mod. It makes your weapon sound like it really packs a punch.  🙂

Well done, Solarverse.  I just tried these out on my new BR/Devices Blaster, and I'm enjoying them!

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

9 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Well done, Solarverse.  I just tried these out on my new BR/Devices Blaster, and I'm enjoying them!

Only issue I have found so far is that on large teams some of the sounds get drowned out...particularly the Aim (Weapon Charged) SFX. I will be seeing what I can do about that this weekend. Really glad you like it!

Edited by Solarverse

Last update, made all SFX slightly louder as to be heard on teams. Teams were drowning out certain abilities, this has been adjusted so that you can not only hear them solo, but on teams as well. Hopefully this will be enough, as if I make them any louder on the creation side, they will have far too much of a distorted sound to be of any use.

This game has a funny sound issue with sound mods, as the game wants to take priority over the volumes of the sounds. So the only way to compensate is to increase the volume of the mods to a point that they can be pushing the threshold of distorting the sounds. Hopefully this is enough, so far my tests have come back positive. If it's not enough, sadly, I won't be able to push the limit any further.

This *should* be the last update. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, JumpingSpider said:

These are very nice!  Piercing Beam and Penetrating Ray seem to be the same sound, but I'll keep the duplication over the old effects.

Close, the after effects are reversed.

• 7 months later
  • 3 weeks later

Hi, is this still working? I can't to seem to get it to work. I did create all the files in the City of Heroes folder and restarted the game. I am using the new launcher btw.

Ok, found the problem, it has indeed something to do with the new launcher.

Edited by Razia