Ideal Supergroup

Dropwing

What would your ideal supergroup situation look like? Or what kind of features or perks would it include?

I guess what I’m asking is in the game’s current cilimate what would entice you away from just having a personal base? 

Friendly players that include me in their activities.  When I first came home, I found many old friends from retail, and we "got the band back together".  We founded a SG, created/equipped a base, and played regularly for the first 6 months.  Then they all got bored and left. 

Well, almost all.  A few of us are still playing, but we've all gone our separate ways and are doing our own things.  It just became simpler/easier to create my own SG and base for all my alts.  Having a roomful of teleports and storage units is too handy to pass up or leave to the whims of people I don't know/trust.

While I've had no problem finding teams, nobody ever talks about their SGs any more, or tries to invite others to join them.  It seems like everyone is doing their own thing, and we're all doing the typical MMO thing of "playing together, alone".  If they've got a good SG, they're keeping it to themselves, or they're like me and simply don't have a regular community of their own (like me).

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I recently switched servers and forced myself not to get a personal base. 

so i did some research on the server i went to. This involved a quick trip to the server message board. Rather than start a new thread topic i browsed recent threads asking about SGs.  I quickly found a posted response about a long time running active SG and coalition

i created my character on the new server and posted a few tells every hour until i got a response.  I think i only posted a few. It was not frustrating so it must have been quick. I have almost no patience 

the next part did require a few actions but the SG was very good about working with me. I joined their discord. I played actively with the SG for over a week. I joined their in game chat channels. They are a good crew so this was all easy. Although i am still lost on Discord. They have more forum headers than these message boards

then they invited me to the SG. I missed the first invite because it was through Discord. But i was in game a lot and playing with the crew on teams formed on SG channels and someone threw me an invite

i still havent been in the base. I use the quick transport bases that have become popular. The SG dedicated channel is just a third chat channel for organizing TFs and content. 

But my efforts payed off by getting me connected with a laid back knowledgeable and active group of geeks.   Goal achieved

i do wish we could have more than one SG per toon. I have wanted this for a long time going back to live. It makes great sense from a storage perspective and from a comic book perspective as well. How many major characters were in multiple super groups multiple comic titles?  Seriously. Like almost all

• Thanks 1

I think the primary benefit to being in a SG gives is access to a channel where you can find the same people every day to team with or just to just chat with.  There's no general chat channel (yet,) so if you want to have a conversation or just make wisecracks with some friends, its easier to do this when you're in a Supergroup.  With this in mind, the thing I look for in a SG is one that has no drama.  Either as an officially stated policy, or just manages to avoid admitting players who create drama.  I log in to chill and have fun.  I don't want to listen to bickering, whining, or negativity in general.

The only game-play downside I see from never joining a SG is if you're a hardcore badger.  There's some badges that you may just never get without access to a SG who does badge runs on iTrials.  

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Ideal "Group" situation?

Perfected themed bases for each of my roleplay factions, and personal housing for any independent characters.

Socializing's for the chat channels; especially the Globals.

Ideally the Global Channels would show up without having to manually reconfigure Chat Tabs for each character one has, without having to remember to /loadchat every time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dropwing said:

I guess what I’m asking is in the game’s current cilimate what would entice you away from just having a personal base?

Incentive?  It used to be than an SG based a group effort and it took a lot of effort to get a nice one.

Back on live, I ran a coalition of three SG's (because one couldn't hold enough characters).  We had our own global channel.  We had scheduled events and I ran a TF every Saturday with open sign-up on the forums.

I've recreated our base and we currently have 5 players.  So, it's a start.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

13 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I think the primary benefit to being in a SG gives is access to a channel where you can find the same people every day to team with or just to just chat with.  There's no general chat channel (yet,) so if you want to have a conversation or just make wisecracks with some friends, its easier to do this when you're in a Supergroup.  With this in mind, the thing I look for in a SG is one that has no drama.  Either as an officially stated policy, or just manages to avoid admitting players who create drama.  I log in to chill and have fun.  I don't want to listen to bickering, whining, or negativity in general.

Pretty much this. Within things "negative" I'd add exceptionally "colorful" language.  I hear it all day long at work, and I'd rather have an enjoyable conversation that isn't just a daisy-chain of four-letter words or innuendo jokes.  I realize there are opposites to me that thrive on that stuff.  YMMV.   That's not to say I don't have fun, and once I warm up to others, I'm wisecrackin' with the best of them.

I also need a completely casual approach.  Some days I can be online for hours, and some I can barely spare 15 minutes to check the auction house and move my toons to new Day Jobs.  I never know which version a day will bring.  "Casual" also means being on my own time a lot when in the game, to focus on detail work like crafting, AH buying, enhancement upgrades, hunting an elusive badge, etc.  I suppose I might work best in one of those "auxiliary corp" SG's that use to be linked by coalition to hardcore SG's.

I'd also add that whatever the character I'm signed in as, at the moment, is the character I'm playing.  I don't drop everything to grab my tank because someone else decides they need it.  If I see the need, and I decide I can spare the time to switch characters, sure, I'll tank for ya.  I guess that is another point under "casual", but having encountered this issue over a decade ago, SG's, or guilds in general, kind of tarnished their image with me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dropwing said:

What would your ideal supergroup situation look like? Or what kind of features or perks would it include?

Nothing. 

This is not a strike against other players.  This is purely a defensive mechanism of my own. I get sucked into things and allow myself to feel obligated even when no one's asking it of me.  And even more so when people ARE asking it of me.  One reason I hung up the gloves after EIGHT YEARS of WoW was realizing I was literally scheduling my entire life around being there for the guild on raid nights (I was one of two main tanks).  

Visiting friends midweek?  Nope not on Tues, Weds, or Thurs.  And Saturday we either did a mop-up for leftover bosses or an "Alt Run".

Going out for drinks after work?  Monday or Friday sure, no other nights.

Visiting mom and dad?  "Can we do Sunday....?"

Scheduling vacations to actually GO somewhere on a trip?   I found myself giving my guildleader between 2 weeks and a month's advance notice. 

This was not asked of me by my WoW guildleader. She never insisted I do anything like this. But I did it anyway, because I was firmly in "I must not let the guild down" mode.

Never again.

Never.

I will do just fine as a guild of one, thank you very much.  Experimentally, anything else becomes bad for me.

Is this a personality flaw of mine?  Oh ya, you betcha.

But just like a drunk needs to learn not to drink.

I can't join guilds.

• Haha 1

I am very shy and have developed a severe aversion to commitment. 

I was briefly in a dedicated VG with my one villain.  Sometimes other people were on, but if they didnt know me they didnt talk to me, and being shy, I didn't talk to them either (they prolly shy too).  I also didnt like the feeling of being asked or expected to team with or help someone out when I had my own goals and intents mapped for the day.

Kinda like @MTeague above, I don't want to allow anyone or anything else control my life and when in a SG with other people, I feel that pressure whether they act that way or not.

Even in a SG with my son, who works 2 jobs and rarely plays, I sometimes feel the pressure of 'oh no, now I have to team because he is online' lol.

Also....dont touch my stuff.  😝

• Haha 1

Since everything in base builder is unlocked, and since you can cosmic TP everywhere, the logistical reasons for an SG no longer exist. Before all this, you could at least lock in SG mode and earn some points for your group. Since this isn’t not the case, I’ve done what others have. Make a warehouse for my alts. After the first on in Indom, didn’t even bother to pretty up my warehouse on Excelsior. 

Incentive wise, I guess I would only only run in SG with people with whom I socialize, in game or out. 

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Good people to play with.

Decent RP that lets players build off/play off of each other.

Not asking me to lead it.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I've been in the same SG on and off depending on if I was playing CoH or a game that one of the other Guild chapters were playing or on a hiatus since about 2005. We've had lots of people coming and go over the years, but there's been IRL meetups sporadically over the years, and voice comms for all of it. We all have our handles, but a lot of us know each other's real names too, albeit people usually stick to the handles as it makes it easier for new members.

Over the years our CoH chapter has evolved from a hardcore raiding guild, to developing a hardcore PvP team within the ranks, to leading public raids on our old live servers, to now being a more relaxed and nostalgic group on homecoming. It's been an interesting ride, and getting to develop some friendships that have lasted now for 15 years and change.

So supergroups in the game our primarily a place for like minded people to play together, it can grow to a lot more.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

Ideal SG:  A group of people that enjoy playing the game with each other.

Lucky for me I found this way back on Live.  And my pleasant surprise when I found the same group starting up here on HC also with a solid percentage of returning members.  It was as if the last 8 years didn't happen.  Back with long ago friends, running around in our underoos, generally enjoying ourselves.  We now have members covering almost every time zone / region.  There isn't a night logging in where someone isn't starting up a TF or mission runs or offering to do a bunch of farm runs to level up the newest alts.  Needless to say life is good ☺️

• Like 1

The answer really is personal base, and join/make global chat channels that allow you to coordinate with your friends and team up.

We run a KREW channel for speed TF runs on Torch that includes all the usual people who run with us and just announce nightly when its time to start the TF trains.

And most of us are in our personal SGs with the vast majority of our alts, although Sovereign SG is also a holding place for many of our characters. But using SG chat only leaves out the people who are on alts not in the main SG, so the global channels are the main way to communicate along with /tells to global friends.

That way you have your cake and eat it too- you have your own private storage spot for all your swag, you have the main SG base for a cool gathering spot and home to mains/important toons, and you have your global chat and friends lists to get the gang together for daily/nightly teaming.

In regards to SuperGroups as the same-named function in game, I prefer to just have one for all my characters and nobody else. Makes it much easier to share and store items account-wide. I use global channels and Discord for people.

But I'm assuming you meant the actual "group of people" context, in which case it's as a few have already said: friendly group of folks who just like to invite others and sometimes set up events or weekly things. City of Heroes thrives in a comfy atmosphere, and I wouldn't have it any other way.