Aegis Psionic Resist needs upgrading

MsSmart

Hi:

I recently learned that Impervium Armor has a Psionic Resistance IO, it provides 6% resistance and you can use it as often as you like obviously you would not get more than 5 after all the 6th would have no contribution.

You then take the Aegis Psionic IO, it only protects for 5% and can be slotted once on a character.

It does not take long to quickly realize that Aegis Psionic resistance is essentially worthless, save if you trying to get a set of 6.

So why not update it some?

To make it truly special, keep it unique and 1 use per character, but now really upgrade what it does:

1)   6% to Psionic Resist

2)   6% to Psionic Defense

Just a suggestion, maybe there are other ways to give value to this practically pointless IO.

Hugs

• Like 3

The Aegis unique is the only way to get both in one IO though. It's also worth noting that if you're chasing psi resist nothing stops you slotting Aegis and Impervium Armor in the same power.

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

I've never seen a problem with it TBH. If I'm slotting for Psi resist then it's a welcome diversification from just Impervium Armour's global. Lets me "six" slot for Psi Resist rather than only five and get 20% Mez resist... 's a good deal. I think people forget/underrate the Mez resistance.

Adding one single percent to the resist seems like quibbling over very small change, and taking away the 20% Mez for 6% Def feels like a downgrade, personally.

3 hours ago, Nanolathe said:

I've never seen a problem with it TBH. If I'm slotting for Psi resist then it's a welcome diversification from just Impervium Armour's global. Lets me "six" slot for Psi Resist rather than only five and get 20% Mez resist... 's a good deal. I think people forget/underrate the Mez resistance.

Adding one single percent to the resist seems like quibbling over very small change, and taking away the 20% Mez for 6% Def feels like a downgrade, personally.

I would guess the complaint comes from people playing an Invulnarabiltiy scrapper/brute/tanker/stalker. (or comperable other "armor" powerset)

Someone who already has constant-on status Protection, and therefore cares very little for the Mes Resistance.

I still don't think the IO in question needs to change in any way.  It does what it does. There are many other sources of Psi resist. Admittedly, most of them require more slots allocated. But you may already have attacks or cc powers or defense powers that you are already slotting up to the point where you can nab a Psi/Toxic resist bonus.  If Psi Resist is a thing you need to cover against, it doesn't take many slots to shift to fit in a modest amount.

Edited by MTeague

I think the Rule of 5 is why you would want to have a different value. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, Bopper said:

I think the Rule of 5 is why you would want to have a different value. 

The rule of five is based on bonus type, not bonus number... which is why you can have 5 7.5% global recharge in addition to 5 LotG.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

8 minutes ago, Zepp said:

The rule of five is based on bonus type, not bonus number... which is why you can have 5 7.5% global recharge in addition to 5 LotG.

I was going off memory, so I forgot the Aegis came with status resistance too. I assumed they were both purely Psi Res, and having more than 5 would break the rule of 5. Good to know, though.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

10 hours ago, MTeague said:

I would guess the complaint comes from people playing an Invulnarabiltiy scrapper/brute/tanker/stalker. (or comperable other "armor" powerset)

Someone who already has constant-on status Protection, and therefore cares very little for the Mes Resistance.

Ahhh... the meathead ATs feel it's redundant. Now it makes more sense. That's what I get for playing characters without a single cure-all toggle to make them invulnerable to Mez.

(joke)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nanolathe said:

Ahhh... the meathead ATs feel it's redundant. Now it makes more sense. That's what I get for playing characters without a single cure-all toggle to make them invulnerable to Mez.

As someone who mains an Inv tanker, it's not that we think it's redundant, it's just that anything that gets us more Psi def/res is welcome. Because nothing else can kill me.

The reason I did not even gave much thought to psi resistance, is that resistance is capped anyway to 90%, so the best you can get is nearly 50% reduction in how long you are mezzed, from the support archtype perspectivfe the mob has plenty of time still to kill you while  you stand helpless. Also if you happen to play a support type, reducing the duration is pointless anyway, for the mez is spammed over and over on you, and thus the reason from a pragmatically vantage point I don't consider mez resistance as worthy of bothering with.

but is only an opinion in that mater, I play all types of archtypes, so I can feel the difference on how protection work when those archtypes have them

On 4/22/2020 at 8:03 PM, kenlon said:

As someone who mains an Inv tanker, it's not that we think it's redundant, it's just that anything that gets us more Psi def/res is welcome. Because nothing else can kill me.

I suppose that's where we will differ on opinion, since I think having at least one weakness is integral to the Super Hero/Villain experience. Even Superman has a weakness that will re-contextualise a situation. Honestly, I wish more defence sets had thematic "holes" in their defences and resistances. Not insurmountable problems, but at least something that gives the meathead ATs pause from time to time... or even encourage teaming on occasion.

Strong opinion incoming: I have great distaste for making any AT (let alone all of them) into unstoppable godlings. I just don't see the point, when the only way you lose is if the electricity for your house goes out. Yes, I know the game should probably remain solo-friendly... but there's definitely a line that CoH crossed a while back when it stopped being solo-friendly and became solo living-uninvited-on-your-couch, eating-the-food-from-your-fridge.

53 minutes ago, MsSmart said:

The reason I did not even gave much thought to psi resistance, is that resistance is capped anyway to 90%, so the best you can get is nearly 50% reduction in how long you are mezzed, from the support archtype perspectivfe the mob has plenty of time still to kill you while  you stand helpless. Also if you happen to play a support type, reducing the duration is pointless anyway, for the mez is spammed over and over on you, and thus the reason from a pragmatically vantage point I don't consider mez resistance as worthy of bothering with.

but is only an opinion in that mater, I play all types of archtypes, so I can feel the difference on how protection work when those archtypes have them

It's not a great help while soloing I'll agree, but on teams it usually means that the mobs will refocus on someone else that's giving them hurt, and you're back in the action a lot faster than if you roll without any resistances. Then again, "breakies" aren't all that hard to come by and even the lowest level inspiration can unlock you from 99% of whatever a mob spawn can throw at you, so for most ATs it's just a momentary annoyance of dropping your offensive toggles and reducing your DPS. 

Hell, my Mastermind gets hit with alpha mez all the time... but it's not like the spawn can do enough to kill him before the Bots turn them into plasma-burn victims. Mobs need to learn that I don't do the DPS, nor is my effective HP pool something to sneeze at. 

Edited by Nanolathe

So we agree that the thread originated from a false pretense and a general non-appreciation for the specific use of an IO from a category that already has a number of useful IO choices. Any discussion of new IO choices has no specific relevance to the Aegis set.

giphy.gif