Thinking of rolling a stone

I'm toying with the idea of creating an earth-powers alt, and would like feedback as to which archetype with such powers you think is the most enjoyable to play.  Note I didn't say "easiest" nor "most challenging", though it may also be one of those.  I'm fully aware of the old mantra "just play what interests you", and I ultimately will, but I still appreciate the feedback.

Oh, and let me know why you think your choice is most enjoyable.

If you mean Earth/Earth, I'd go Dominator.

It's not that Earth Armour is bad, it's just the least fun armour set I've played.

If you want to play just any character with at least one earth set: Shield Defense/Stone Melee. You can customize the shield to look like stone or crystal, it will match the stone melee stuff pretty well.

(bio would also be fun to play, but it's much more organic than rock)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

If you want to play just any character with at least one earth set: Shield Defense/Stone Melee. You can customize the shield to look like stone or crystal, it will match the stone melee stuff pretty well.

I'll vouch for this, my Stone/Shield Brute was a hoot back in the day.

• Like 1

I hope you don't feel Under my Thumb, if you can't get no, Satisfaction.  After all, You Can't Always Get What you Want. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I love the stone attack sets. The sound fx of stone cages hitting its mob cap very well may be my favorite sfx in the whole game. And after finding the abject joy of a 100% melee earth/earth dominator, I'm gonna second that choice.

If you find that too squishy, I also have several other stone melee users. A fire/stone tank is a sight to behold. Wanna go pure smash nonstop carnage? A stone/wp brute is a gorram hoot.

• Like 1

Earth/Earth Dom’s are really fun, I had one on live and they’re great.

The shield/earth with the shield set to an earth graphic is a great idea and one id never considered! Shield retains the nice fast playstyle.

I would say Doms are quite challenging to play but very rewarding. Your defence is your controls. They rely more on it than Controllers due to their lack of buff/debuff/heals.

Earth/Storm is a great controller combo, not sure if that breaks your theme though. It’s still ‘nature’ related. 

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

18 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I love the stone attack sets. The sound fx of stone cages hitting its mob cap very well may be my favorite sfx in the whole game. And after finding the abject joy of a 100% melee earth/earth dominator, I'm gonna second that choice.

If you find that too squishy, I also have several other stone melee users. A fire/stone tank is a sight to behold. Wanna go pure smash nonstop carnage? A stone/wp brute is a gorram hoot.

I like the idea of a stone controller, though I'm not a huge fan of how high the cage visuals are set.  I find them hard to see into the crowd especially if I'm meleeing.  That said, I'm not dismissive of them.  Thank you for the feedback!

15 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

Earth/Earth Dom’s are really fun, I had one on live and they’re great.

The shield/earth with the shield set to an earth graphic is a great idea and one id never considered! Shield retains the nice fast playstyle.

I would say Doms are quite challenging to play but very rewarding. Your defence is your controls. They rely more on it than Controllers due to their lack of buff/debuff/heals.

Earth/Storm is a great controller combo, not sure if that breaks your theme though. It’s still ‘nature’ related. 

I love storm, but as one of my major characters uses it, I'm looking for something a tad different.  I'd been thinking of controller, but I'll look over the dom option.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, Lines said:

I've never rolled a stone before, so can't give much advice.

I have a lot of moss, though.

When plant control adds a moss monster option, I'll be sure to look you up.

9 hours ago, Techwright said:

I love storm, but as one of my major characters uses it, I'm looking for something a tad different.  I'd been thinking of controller, but I'll look over the dom option.  Thanks!

When plant control adds a moss monster option, I'll be sure to look you up.

If you’re used to Controller then Dom can be quite a gear change. Even though they both have control sets they play very differently. Stick with it and it’s very rewarding!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I have an earth/rad controller that I really like.  Earth control gives you two holds and radiation emission gives you two more.  The earth pet hits really hard and rad gives you a variety of debuffs plus a rez and AoE heal.  Super versatile, in my opinion.  Also, easy enough to come up with a theme.  My character is Agent Pitchblende (pitchblende is uranium ore).

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

21 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I have an earth/rad controller that I really like.  Earth control gives you two holds and radiation emission gives you two more.  The earth pet hits really hard and rad gives you a variety of debuffs plus a rez and AoE heal.  Super versatile, in my opinion.  Also, easy enough to come up with a theme.  My character is Agent Pitchblende (pitchblende is uranium ore).

Funny.

I have a Grav/Time controller on Reunion. She has 3.5 holds. plus a variety of buffs and debuffs and an AoE heal (or two).

And her name is Agent Legacy.

On 5/10/2020 at 7:28 AM, TraumaTrain said:

If you're going to roll a stone, name him Sisyphus.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, Twisted Toon said:

Would that make the rolled stone your pet rock?

You'd never need a leash.  He'd always come back to you.