Time to shine!

What moment in game most gives you that superhero feel?

For me, it is when I have a melee character who is surrounded by a large group of greens and blues, and he/she quickly dispatches the justice on their soon-to-be-crumbled forms.

For the scarifying misadventures of Mike Morbid, go to Twitter and look for @JMikeMorbid

Leading the charge against the Psychic Clockwork King on my Dark/Dark Defender back in the early days of Live. I don't really want to call it tanking since I couldn't hold aggro, I just rendered the aggro completely irrelevant for a team that had been getting torn to bits before I answered the call for help.

I strolled out of that mission feeling very, very super.

Today, it's mostly my Stalker that gives me that feel when she walks up to an AV like the implacable force of nature that she is, challenges them to single combat and walks away with hardly a scratch.

Scrapperlock

• A state of mind where the player (most commonly a Scrapper or Brute) dashes from foe to foe without regard to surroundings. Similar to berserkers, players in Scrapperlock may fail to notice damage being taken by themselves or their teammates.
  • It should be noted it's considered bad form to wipe out the 8-man spawn that killed everybody else on the team.
  • Common symptoms include going the other way than the team, surviving going the other way than the team, and the words "You guys go ahead, I'm waiting for my rez to recharge."

Edited by Redlynne
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

When I first came to the original game, that moment with the superhero feel was the moment when my character stood on a roof in Steel Canyon.  I looked down, had a moment of panic where my real life vertigo kind of kicked in, then ran the character off the roof and hit flight on the way down, arcing out into a smooth flight path.

In Homecoming, I'm now used to all that, so the superhero moment would be a pick between my tank stomping the ground and sending a tight mob of villains flipping onto their backs, or perhaps that "I'm still alive?" moment after something has gone wrong, the team is overrun, panic sets in, and my energy blaster is standing hip deep in bodies, on his last few health and energy points, having just dropped the last enemy after a furious fight.  Seeing as that's usually a tank surviving and not the blaster, it's a heroic moment.

• Like 2

Pretty much anything I do on my main (an ice/ice blaster).  She's so fun to play and I just feel so happy and superhero-y when I'm running her.  :)

I also get that feeling, though, just entering AP and hearing the music or flying around on any alt or seeing an alt (esp one with a cape) lift off in a jump-to-fly maneuver.  Street sweeping in AP on a new roll also does it for me, saving citizens from purse-snatching goons is always a super hero moment.

I've got three standouts:

• Tanking Mot with my fortunata at the end of the Dark Astoria arc. I was running round in circles, TPing allies out of the way so they could rez and kiting it back to the other end of the room.
  • Tanking the whole ITF with my fortunata, although part of that was because 6 out of 7 of my teammates were running extremely complementary support sets so we just liquefied everything in our path.
  • Duoing Praetor Sinclair with a brute who kept getting one or two shot... I had to go downstairs and answer the door at one point and came back to find my fortunata still standing strong, autoattacking away. Luckily, the brute thought it was funny.

Tanking on low HP archetypes always feels awesome. While I enjoy my tanker, I've had defenders and controllers who can do the same thing and more. Fortunatas tick every box for me.

#Fortunata4life

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

My most super moment on my Mind/Kin was Confusing Ghost Widow during the Statesman TF (back when it was STF and not Ms. Liberty).

More recently, draining bosses of End:  "You're not gonna use that, are you?"

Or, as much as people rave about Incandescence Destiny, I've saved a few teams from wiping with well-timed uses of the Barrier 2x Rez.

21 hours ago, Techwright said:

When I first came to the original game, that moment with the superhero feel was the moment when my character stood on a roof in Steel Canyon.  I looked down, had a moment of panic where my real life vertigo kind of kicked in, then ran the character off the roof and hit flight on the way down, arcing out into a smooth flight path.

"Shazam!"

• Like 2

It varies a lot by character. 

For my Mind/Kin (my avatar is him), it's him walking into a warehouse, alone, stealthed, and turning everyone inside it to fight against each other and locking them down and subuing them all with his mind.  Then stepping back into the shadows.  Or busting out his LightMagic costume change macro to switch from a Lamont Cranston / The Shadow style costume to one of his more Magi Unmasked costumes and going from being a hidden hand to a more blunter instrument of destruction with Incarnate Judgment and/or Pets.

For my Claws/SR scrapper, it's being surrounded by 20+ baddies and being like "All y'all are actually trying, right?" as none of them can lay a glove on her. 

For the Fire/Fire/Fire sent it's diving into a pack of Longbow and unleashing Aim/Burn/Fire Cages/Rain of Fire/Fireball and generally being "YOU. WILL. BURN."

• Like 3

For me its with my Mastermind. Outliving other team mates when multiple spawns are engaged and its nearly a team wipe, or fighting half of an AE map at once and clearing it faster than my brute/farmer can. It just feels like an epic moment. Emerging out of the smoke with a smile, burnt but unbroken, handing out wakies to team mates.

• Like 1

meh to herodom.  Never really been my bag.

I know the moment I felt like a TRUE villain, though!   I . . . uh . . . just can't share it here . . . at least not in detail.   Suffice to say, it was roleplay and I earnt the Role Model Badge at the, um, "conclusion" of the scene.

On live, any "hot door" situation when I was playing a controller or a defender.  For folks who haven't heard the term, a "hot door" refers to a mission entry or an elevator situation where you load right into the middle of a full spawn (or within instant aggro range).  No time to assess, plan, or get ready - you just loaded into an instant combat situation with maximum chaos.  Sadly, hot doors were "fixed" sometime during live.  Can't remember when.

My Ill/Emp controller and TA/Archery defender in particular lived for these situations.  It was usually myself and one scrapper who didn't die in the alpha (that's why veterans to this day take the back elevator doors), and who refused to run.  The rest of the team would be shouting at us to regroup, but we'd set to work with grim determination.  Eventually, the team would timidly start popping back in, one by one, just about the time we were finishing up (and deep in the red).

Other than that, I tended to keep an eye out for wandering patrols, or for spawns that were a little too close for comfort.  If they showed signs of becoming alert to the main fight, I'd jump in and keep them at bay until the team finished up.  Didn't matter what AT I was playing or whether I thought I'd survive - I just wanted to buy the team some time before they suddenly had to deal with two spawns.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Sometimes I'd get yelled at, and sometimes I'd get an on-the-spot SG invite.  There seemed to be little correlation between effectiveness and team reaction...

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 6:04 AM, Mike Morbid said:

What moment in game most gives you that superhero feel?

For me, it is when I have a melee character who is surrounded by a large group of greens and blues, and he/she quickly dispatches the justice on their soon-to-be-crumbled forms.

You mean 'super', like Flying and Jumping over buildings? That's all it took for me.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Getting Kaikara's "Knows No Fear" badge...

She soloed all of the DA arcs on +4/x8 just because I wanted to see if she could (Kai is my KinMelee/Bio Stalker main-), but facing and kicking the collective butts of that entire army on her own? THAT made me grin, as both an in-character thing for her and as a player accomplishment for me. It was excellent, smashy fun and not easy. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Two moments, both on my bubbler. I'd always played him as C-lister, maybe B-lister at best, but once in a while he could shine.

-My first Tinpex, and a quad of mechs on the stairs all let off their barrage... and suddenly I start seeing "Deflected"... "Deflected"... "Deflected"... "Deflected"... The big bubble had just shrugged off a freakin' artillery barrage.

-The end of the Mot arc. Just an avatar of crushing despair vs. a bubbler who would. Not. Quit. I don't remember how long exactly the fight took - long enough for a couple really long recharges to cycle through at least twice. Bouncing off walls, dropping temps, going through bags of skittles - it was long, drawn-out and frenetic, but by pulling out every trick he'd learned and refusing to die he finally chipped away at this thing and sent him to the dirt.

• Like 3

When I took on a jail room on a Citadel on a level 27 scrapper and realized the rest of the team had taken off in another direction. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

One time, back on live, was when Arilou (my Illusion/FF controller) ended up temporarily Tanking for a team of 8 during a Crey Revenant mission. He juggled 2 PP bosses while his PA and the rest of the team dealt with a third boss and the rest of the spawn. I think only one of the PP bosses MoGed. I think from that point on, Arilou acted more like a scrapper with summons than a controller.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:02 AM, TheOtherTed said:

Other than that, I tended to keep an eye out for wandering patrols, or for spawns that were a little too close for comfort.  If they showed signs of becoming alert to the main fight, I'd jump in and keep them at bay until the team finished up.  Didn't matter what AT I was playing or whether I thought I'd survive - I just wanted to buy the team some time before they suddenly had to deal with two spawns.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Sometimes I'd get yelled at, and sometimes I'd get an on-the-spot SG invite.  There seemed to be little correlation between effectiveness and team reaction...

I can totally understand that.   If they saw it happening, they saw you having full court vision and picking up adds before they could wreck the squishies. 

If they didn't see it happen they're just like "oh god is that guy pulling extra spawns for giggles? WTH man, you looking to wipe us?"  

Esp if it was earlier in live before people became so overpowered and less risk-averse.

• Like 1

Soloing feats are what give me that feeling more so than anything else TBH

-Soloing a -5 Winter Lord GM on Cheetatron, my Nrg/Dev, during the first ever winter event I had to load up on insps just barely survive getting mezzed, run back to a contact for more inps, rinse & repeat till the winter lord went down.

-Soloing my 1st even level Hero/AV on any toon; Ms Liberty on "Liege Cheetatron X" my Bots/Traps/Mu main on live, holy shit was that tough, everything was going smoothly enough until she popped unstoppable after that she broke through my immobs, wrecked my bots & had me running for the door but before I got too far I got on my battle shonen "TATAKAI!"(FIGHT!) type steez, resummoned my bots & fought it out countering unstoppable with poison gas trap which would detoggle unstoppable for a few moments before she toggle it back on, this would go on several times before I finally took my "W"

-Casually announcing I was going to Solo the clockwork king during an LGTF & succeeding with low to mid difficulty with incarnate powers (Liege)

-Soloing the lambda sentry guns in the reverse order that teams would tackle them in, while everyone else was clearing the outer & then inner yards if I used more pets I could get them all this would cause amusing confusion to those whose muscle memory had them expecting to tackle the guns in the typical fashion some even going to multiple empty posts lol (Liege)

-Soloing AV Mot on my Time/Sonic/Soul I was close to death several times between buff ups