CoH community is divided between 5 basic groups that see things differently

There are two types of players. Both advocate nerfing Regen.

I'm a simple girl. I just wanna create a character with personality, and run around in spandex punching things. Sometimes shooting them. Builds are only considered when I hit fifty - until then, I take what makes the most sense in my character's story. If they've been having trouble with defense, then they spend time training their defense, and I pick a defensive power when they level (if one is available). Even if it'd be smarter to grab something else. Even after I hit fifty, I have a hard time picking powers during respec that don't fit the character and concept.

I don't want to be the strongest, or the toughest. Those are some of the least interesting characters. I mostly solo, unless the character is one who would gravitate toward teams. When things get hard to solo, they find a team. If the team clicks, the character might change.

Basically, everything is character-driven. From the powerset I pick at creation to how I play them to the types of missions they take. The Challenge is inherent.

There are two types of players - those who insist things be made more challenging, and those who actively make their own challenge.

Edited by Hexquisite
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I play solo, build for concept, and will eventually try to optimize that concept into something I think is neat. I wasn't able to do much of this on Live because I could never afford it, so maybe I'll get around to using IO Set builds this time instead of totally ignoring them like I did on Live.

I also team, but only when I feel I want to and don't actively seek it out. I'll often stand around for hours waiting for someone else to start a TF that I want to run because I'm never comfortable with the star (don't like being in the spotlight, I guess). Sometimes I wish my contributions to the team were obvious, other times I'm glad I could literally afk and no one would notice. Depends on my mood.

I also PvP, but I hear no one likes those types. Thankfully for the rest of you, I don't PvP here often because I get that fix in other games better suited to it. This is probably why I don't min/max so much around these parts (no reason to when I'm not fighting players and nothing is really a DPS check in a group).

I try to go for badges when I can but sort of shelved the idea of having a dedicated badger like I had on Live. My completionist streak took a hit once I got older, though it still comes back now and again.

I guess what I'm saying is, most people aren't going to fit in any one particular box. I'm mostly in the "solo" category, but not entirely and it really depends on what I feel like doing at any given moment. I change characters so much that I don't even have a single 50 after spending a year on the server so I think it'll be some time before I even get around to doing all the stuff everyone else is.

And that's okay.

• Like 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:49 AM, Vulpoid said:

You know you could be playing right now, right?

I'm procrastinating on chores, but know if I fire up the CoX machine, nothing will be done elsewhere. 😉

For the original question:

I like coming up with different concepts.  Some days I just want to do some solo stuff, some days I like getting into various teams and seeing everyone's different concepts and occasionally that prompts me to make yet another alt.  Now if I could go back and finish kitting up my 50s so that they're more viable.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 1:48 PM, Snowdaze said:

*Wanders in*

"Any groups in here? Can I join? I've been told 'I can't be my own group,' because I need more then one person..."

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't be more than one person.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:54 PM, Crysis said:

01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 

What did you just call me????

On 5/22/2020 at 12:48 PM, Apparition said:

6. Players who played City of Heroes before sunset, but largely stopped playing before IO enhancements, purple IO enhancements, archetype enhancements, or at least the Incarnate system.  They don't recognize the game as it is now, and see it as too easy thanks to those IO enhancements, purple IO enhancements, ATOs, and Incarnate abilities.  But instead of realizing that their era of playing CoH is well and truly dead and gone, and either learn to accept what CoH is today or move on, they stay and keep trying to push ways to make the game more closely align with how they remember the game, which just honks off the players who played through Issue 23 and like the game for what it is now.

I've been in CoH since 2 years after launch, and even I get flustered at these folks. My mindset is: there are literally THOUSANDS of posts over builds with more every day. Find one, and have fun!

• Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

2 hours ago, Seed22 said:

I've been in CoH since 2 years after launch, and even I get flustered at these folks. My mindset is: there are literally THOUSANDS of posts over builds with more every day. Find one, and have fun!

Agreed. Or, conversely, ignore the builds and have fun (but don’t preach to others that they’re “doing it wrong” just because it seems easier).

Reminds me of D&D edition wars. There’s no right way to play. Just try to enjoy it.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Clearly..... I am mostly 4 & 5 with a smattering of 1 & 6 kinda smooshed into it.

Kind of a Chocolate in my Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter in my Chocolate Kinda Thing and

I believe a Bird in the Sun is better than a Stone Hand in a Horses Mouth in the bushes....

Nevermind.

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Ill be honest I cant even fathom the reason for the original post of this thread, beyond again more than likely some attempt to incite. I say this because its no ones place to attempt to define another let alone try to define what they deem the 5 true factions of gamers in the game.

I am none of the so called 5. I am a serious lore driven RPer who also fine tunes RP concept driven builds till they meet a given RP vision, for some this is as godly as I can, for others human as I can. I solo and team, I seek challenge when it suits me and can often find it even in casual content just by pugging.

• Like 2

my theory on the stages of all MMOS

1.) Dumb Fun and you play

2.) Recognizable Grind and you still play

3.) Resent the Game and hate playing

4.) Resent yourself and still play

5.) Eat a lot of donuts.

I get to stage 5 with most MMO's in an hour.  All these years later I float between stages 1 and 2 still to this day.

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

On 6/2/2020 at 3:49 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

Ill be honest I cant even fathom the reason for the original post of this thread, beyond again more than likely some attempt to incite. I say this because its no ones place to attempt to define another let alone try to define what they deem the 5 true factions of gamers in the game.

Agreed. I thought it was unwittingly arrogant when I first read it, for a poster to think that they're good enough at psychology and classification to accurately place other players in groups. Especially when a singly player may have different playstyles and opinions based on which characters they're playing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

Agreed. I thought it was unwittingly arrogant when I first read it, for a poster to think that they're good enough at psychology and classification to accurately place other players in groups. Especially when a singly player may have different playstyles and opinions based on which characters they're playing.

Eh, even though it is - at best - pointless to try and define a set of player "archetypes" it is kind of awesome that there would be enough people flocking to this old-ass game that someone would even have the IDEA to try and silo them.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 6/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, Bentley Berkeley said:

I am none of the so called 5. I am a serious lore driven RPer who also fine tunes RP concept driven builds till they meet a given RP vision, for some this is as godly as I can, for others human as I can. I solo and team, I seek challenge when it suits me and can often find it even in casual content just by pugging.

14 hours ago, Coyote said:

Eh, I get why someone would attempt to do it. I do it to my customers. The only real difference is I don't tell the customers what group I put them in.

Edited by MunkiLord