Help me use the in-game star system, please.

EmmySky

Ok.  Lets say I have a character, Beautiful Butterfly, who is invited to a PuG and joins.  Leader, Character X, of said PuG deserves and gets a star rating (5 for excellent, 1 for never team with again) I won't say which.  

Tomorrow, if said leader is on Character Y instead of Character X, will I see the star rating?

Tomorrow, if I am on T3H 5N422Y instead of Beautiful Butterfly, will I see the star rating if I happen across Character X or Character Y?

I just wanna find out if the star rating is global or not and when I asked in Help in-game I got a 'This is a no judgement zone please refrain from rating people' answer so that person got an iggy and I came to ask you fine folks here 😁

This is my first time attempting to use the star rating system so I need lots of help.  Thanks!

• Haha 1

Wish I could help, but I recently used the Rating system myself to remind me of the habits of a particular individual that likes to strawman an argument to vilify you and get a bunch of people to ignore you for no reason, so I would too would love if how that system works is clarified.

I should clarify myself that my post has no relation to EmmySky's post and have no idea why someone would say that in the Help channel. Reading my response looks like I'm being accusatory, heh.

Edited by ForeverLaxx
Clarification
  • Like 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

1 hour ago, EmmySky said:

Ok.  Lets say I have a character, Beautiful Butterfly, who is invited to a PuG and joins.  Leader, Character X, of said PuG deserves and gets a star rating (5 for excellent, 1 for never team with again) I won't say which.  

Tomorrow, if said leader is on Character Y instead of Character X, will I see the star rating?

Tomorrow, if I am on T3H 5N422Y instead of Beautiful Butterfly, will I see the star rating if I happen across Character X or Character Y?

I just wanna find out if the star rating is global or not and when I asked in Help in-game I got a 'This is a no judgement zone please refrain from rating people' answer so that person got an iggy and I came to ask you fine folks here 😁

This is my first time attempting to use the star rating system so I need lots of help.  Thanks!

Yes to both of your questions.  Star ratings are global and are actually saved locally to your computer.  Only time you'll lose them is if you switch computers without transferring the file "playernotes.txt" from your CoH folder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

However, they are personal to each of your accounts if you multibox.  So, a Note I leave on @Player-X from my main account will always have that Note regardless of which character I play on that account, from that same computer.  However, all my other accounts will NOT have the Note/Star Ratings for @Player-X.   I would either need to copy them from the aforementioned "playernotes.txt" or manually rewrite the note while logged in to each account I have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Umm, that person is oblivious lol. Friends are basically people we've judged worth spending time with, and there's also people we judge not worth the time... no judgment zone rofl get over yourself.

Sorry I don't have anything worthwhile to add; I didnt even know there was.a rating system until just now : )

Edited by Hero_of_Light
fixes
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anecdotally, I've "added Note" to certain players when teaming with them, and have also made notes on players who just say really inflammatory things in any channel, allowed or not. 

But when I switch, I'll do the right click and I'll see it says "Edit Note", and I'll see the star rating, but I won't see the note that was made by an alt. 

So I've adapted - 1 star - player has opinions which make it clear I wouldn't want to spend any amount of time with them, lest we spend it all debating, or worse, arguing. 
2  stars - a new player who has much to learn before being trusted on a MoTF or MoIncarnate Trial, but worth teaming with for other things. 
3 stars - really solid player, to be teamed with whenever convenient for both parties. 
4 stars - Truly exceptional to the point where I feel carried along instead of the other way around. 
5 starts - someone who I had high respect for back in live and continue to be amazed at in-game knowledge, skills & abilities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patti said:

Does that mean it's true that the Note system sometimes eats my notes?   I noticed a bunch say "[NULL]"

It might be that those nulls point to LIVE players (and their toons) that simply don't exist on HC.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 5/30/2020 at 10:29 AM, Patti said:

No I mean that players on homecoming that I am sure I Noted on are now appearing NULL.   Am I just crazy or is that really happening?

The reasons that immediately spring to mind for me are:

1) Character has been deleted/renamed.

2) Character has been transferred to a different server.

3) Character/account has been banned.

4) Your local notes file has been corrupted.

5) You're looking at the notes on a different computer than the one you wrote them on.

Probably wouldn't hurt to do a disk cleanup, but there's not a lot you can do user side about the other four. :)

I keep forgetting the rating system exists. 

Can other people see your rating / comment?

Or are they effectively ONLY notes that you yourself can see?

(ie, I don't feel bad about not rating someone well if only I could see it anyway, but if I'm failing to give props to good team leaders, it's like failing give good ratings to a restaraunt I like)

Nevermind, I see my question was already answered by @Riverdusk.   "Star ratings are global and are actually saved locally to your computer"

Edited by MTeague

4 hours ago, EmmySky said:

I wish the stars showed up in chat channels..so if I see PLAYER M advertising a team I know not to join because there is a star. 

Yep, you'd have to click on their name to check it.  There is an option to have it "Always Show" under Options-Windows-Reticle, so you'll also see it immediately if you are within sight of them.  About as good as it gets for now.

• Like 1

To "see" a rating on a person who's only visible in a chat channel (or your friends list), right click on the name and choose "Edit Note". This will bring up your rating and note.

I seem to remember a glitch where this doesn't work if the person is on a different server, but I could be wrong.  For example, I'm on Excelsior and I right click on a global friend who is on Torchbearer, the "Edit Note" option will show an empty note.

• Like 1

I just use the system for petty spite when people dont pick my costume in CCs.

1* for everyone judging.

And i 5* my homies so they got clout on my screen when we team up.

Occasionally Ill write a little note when someones a complete bellend.

• Haha 1

Okay.  I have a few handfuls of 50+1s.  Alpha is T4 but I dropped them in favor of new shinies.  Now I am going through and finishing their T4 incarnates one at a time.  I will join any team doing anything cuz grinding DA is not fun.

I have been giving 1 star to people who don't know how to CoH.  Never team again!  3 stars if they lead a team but slow about it and dont really know what they are doing.  Will team again and make coffee.  5 stars to outstanding leaders and team players that I would follow to the ends of the earth.  Team with any chance I get!

This has been working really well and I am interested if there are things I should use 2 and 4 stars for that I just havent thought of yet.  Any new tips?

• Like 1

1= People who don't know how to CoH, and don't appear to have a Sunny Future ahead of them, even though their parents tell them differently before bed each night.

2= May consider playing with again but only if caught at a weak moment right after accidentally paying $24,000,000 Influence for a level 20 Generic Slow IO.

3= Remedial Uninformed Inexperienced but otherwise Great People, according to their cousin's husband's sister who was also on that team that didn't completely suck.

4= Have all the basic skills, their costume is not distracting, their chat is not offensive, they are very prompt, and have very good personal hygiene.

5= Outstanding Leaders and Amazing Team Players that are personally invited to any and all Upcoming World of CoH Tours.

If they can ever add.....

6= Out of my Class, GODS, I should spend my time hand washing their Athletic Supporters or other gear on the hope a little Genius rubs off on me.

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

7 minutes ago, Marine X said:

6= Out of my Class, GODS, I should spend my time hand washing their Athletic Supporters or other gear on the hope a little Genius rubs off on me.

Depends on the cheer leader, but I might possibly be down for hand washing one or two...🤔

• Haha 1