New Powerset Suggestion : Martial Control

Just for natural controller feel...

Not sure how this controller works on robotic enemies thematically though especially on malta robots but I'm open to suggestions.

Tier 1 : [Crippling Finger] : You cripple enemies movement by damaging target's pressure/weak point. (Melee ST Immobilize moderate smash DoT. - Fly/jump )

Tier 2 : [Pressure Kick] : You damaged target's vital pressure/weak points with pressured kick making them vulnerable to further damage and locking them in pain. (Melee ST Hold moderate smash damage. Special = Resistance debuff.)

Tier 3 : [Spinning Kick] : You spin your legs while targeting enemy's pressure/weak points to launch them into air. (Melee Cone Immobilize(After knockup) Minor Smash DoT. Special = Knockup - Fly/Jump)

Tier 4 : [Thunder Kick] : You strike enemy with your kick so hard that enemies left disoriented and crippled. (Melee ST Stun Minor Smash DoT. Special = -Recharge/Speed/Movement)

Tier 5 : [Hypnotizing Strike] You strike your nimble fingers on targets vital pressure/weak points and making them sleep. (Melee ST Sleep. Special = -Recharge/Speed/Movement after sleep is broken) [No Aggro]

Tier 6 : [Limitbreak] : You break your limit by pressing vital pressure points. (Self: +Recharge +Movement Speed, Foe -Recharge -Movement Speed and All hardcaps temporary lifted for 30 seconds.(Crash= All hardcaps lowered for 30 seconds)
Or/and
By breaking your limits you exude great pressure to weaker foes. Additional effects = Toggle: PBAoE Taunt %300 , PBAoE Fear 3 Mag and To hit Debuff for 30 seconds. (Toggle drops when 30 seconds passed)

Tier 7 : [Throw Sand] : You grab some nearby debris and fling it towards a nearby foe, obstructing their vision and dazing them. !NEW(Self +Placate if Stun doesn't apply) (Ranged Cone Foe Stun, -Perception.) (This is taken from Martial Combat)

Tier 8 : [Blurry Fingers] : You strike nearby enemies pressure/weak points so fast that they are locked in pain and they can't move. (PBAoE Chance to Hold every X seconds) Minor Smash DoT (Special = Damage debuff)

Tier 9 : [Distorted Perception] You strike on special pressure/weak points. Targets unable to move and locked in slowed perception. (Melee (Targeted AoE) Stun. Minor Smash DoT (-Recharge/Speed/Movement and (Perception/Range Debuff after Stun is broken) !NEW(Self +Defense. (Defense values are enhanced in Limitbreak mode.)

NEW! [Limitbreak] only : All your single target melee powers transforms into ranged powers. When you activate your powers from ranged for example your silhouette goes into melee range while you stay still.
Or All your Single Target melee powers teleports you to foe similar to nightcrawler.

Edited by Darkneblade
1.0.1:Added new gimmick. 1.0.2:Changed Tier9 Immobilize to Stun. 1.0.3:Added defensive kits to help more survivibility
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Conceptually interesting.

I like that it has no pet (though others may despair at that). 

it may be a bit limited with darn near everything being melee range.  Somethign would be needed to make up for that hassle. 

On the other hand, you have almost every power as a damaging power, which is quite unusual for a controller. So maybe that's what makes up for it. 

I'd certainly want to pick up fly or super jump pretty early to handle things that stay airborn. 

• Like 1

There are melee control sets.  Lots of knockback, knockdown, knockup, stun, and fear.  AoE holds are kinda weak with the amount of attention they can ge, their AoE immobilizes are rock solid when the bad guy is laying crippled and broken on the floor.

The secondaries sets are a mixed bag of armor, defense, status protection, and heals as well as some  defense debuffs.

Also comes in three generic flavors of classes and one side dish that has a shadowy hidden spicy flavor, ike taking one devastating hit to the mouth.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

... I think I got through the first attack. Wasn't it G Gundam that had someone with a shining finger or some such? Something about burning sensations?

🙂

(Serious answer, melee control would be ... different, and probably taken much more with dominators.)

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

11 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

Omae wa mou shindeiru?

死んでへんや、当たり前けど。。。

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

... I think I got through the first attack. Wasn't it G Gundam that had someone with a shining finger or some such? Something about burning sensations?

🙂

(Serious answer, melee control would be ... different, and probably taken much more with dominators.)

I was thinking the opposite. It would either need a lot more PBAoE control or strong def/res secondary set to be survivable.

With this proposal I don't like the number of immobilize. They are fine if you are a Melee/Armor (or Armor/Melee) toon, but for a Troller or Dom, they won't mitigate anything, especially if all your attacks are melee... I'd rather have a real control.

Edited by Zepp
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zepp said:

I was thinking the opposite. It would either need a lot more PBAoE control or strong def/res secondary set to be survivable.

Not sure how that's the opposite, I just said melee control would be interesting. Not that this setup was definitely the way to go. 🙂

It is immob heavy. And the PBAOE hold is a "chance to" hold, which... eh. I think I'd rather have a *hold* hold, for the sake of survival. Cone immobilizes (T3) aren't unheard of, just normally in a ranged set (Tenebrous Tentacles.) And I had to look at PWiki and refresh my memory on what was in which secondary. I did miss the bit about the taunt, which is *not* what I'd want on a 'troller or dom. Honestly, on my doms I'll often put off the AOE immob - it gatherers a lot of hate, and if you're in melee, you don't want things shooting at you.

The T9... should definitely be something else. Not sure what.

I'd probably move the T7 up, and make it... essentially smoke from fire control. (Targeted AOE -per -acc.) To help with getting into melee range. You are squishy, after all, and Fire's not bad to take ideas from, since ... well, hot feet. Often on the fire 'trollers I've played - and don't forget, controllers want to set containment for more damage - it's a matter of something like smoke - AOE hold or immob - wander in with hot feet and reapplying immob. (But Fire's whole thing is damage, so...)

Zepp does have a point in that survivability has to be considered - but needs to be considered in the set itself, if this is designed as a *control* set, since it's going on squishy, lower HP characters.

It's worth working over a few times, though, just for the sake of being a different playstyle option. Wonder how it'd pair with /Rad or /Time on a controller..

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

@GreycatI was saying melee control would likely work better on Troller than Dom. The opposite of your stated stance. Trollers Secondaries tend to provide more survivability.

I understand that immobilize triggers containment, but if you are in melee the lack of actual control (even control that doesn't trigger containment) could kill you.

For the T9 it might be better as a summon Decoys with weak damage but strong taunt auras to help clear your aggro. Summons one decoy for each enemy hit for 10s or until tarfet defeat. 60s cooldown?

The containment bit and pretty much everything after was more directed at the OP and the idea in general. Not clear, I know. Sorry. 🙂

And I wasn't really looking at "worked better," but more that more doms (remember, not everyone min/maxes stuff, so I'm not talking numbers here) would probably be attracted to it since they've got more of an offensive... "tilt," I suppose, than controllers. Even controllers would be... variable depending on secondary. That was more of my mindset, in any case.

6 hours ago, Greycat said:

Years ago for a brief time I had Domon yelling "Shining Burning Finger" as my text message sound on my phone, couldn't take it for more then 2 weeks...

Edited by Snowdaze
  • Haha 2

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

I have to say I like Darkneblade's Martial Control, it feels like a merger of Martial Arts & Kinetic Melee (sort of).

The changes I would make to increase survivability, turn Limitbreak into a cone slow (Siphon Speed) (with a slow recharge) instead of single target & remove the crash.

That would make it comparable to other control sets with slow (Ice Control Shiver, Earth Control Quicksand, Fire Control Hot Feet, Plant Control Carrion Creepers).

It would feel like an amped up version of a Tsoo Ink Man's slow attack.

I like Limitbreak also sending a silhouette of your character into melee range for the attack while you stay at range during the Limitbreak buff.

I would say test those changes & if it still isn't survivable enough then add having Limitbreak briefly altering Blurry Fingers into a guaranteed hold (instead of a chance of) for a short time.

Edited by Shadowsleuth
  • Like 1

Hmm, if [Limitbreak] has defense tag as well as other things will be OP or still underpowered or just right?

Like this:

[Limitbreak] :Toggle Self +Defense +Recharge +Movement Speed +Recovery : Foe Mag 3 PBAoE Fear and -Movement Speed. Last 90 seconds instead of 30. (Crash = -Max HP and Damage debuff for 10 seconds)

Limitbreak seems like more of a buff power than control. May want to rethink the power.

If kept as is, having it as an auto +recharge, +movement, +MaxHP, +MaxEnd may make more sense.

Edited by Zepp
  • Like 1

• 1 month later

Okay here is 2nd version after everything I could think of.

Tier 1 : [Crippling Finger] : You cripple enemies movement by damaging target's pressure/weak point. (Melee ST Immobilize moderate lethal DoT. - Fly/jump )

Tier 2 : [Pressure Kick] : You damaged target's vital pressure/weak points with pressured kick making them vulnerable to further damage and locking them in pain. (Melee ST Hold moderate smash damage. Special = %5 Resistance debuff.)

Tier 3 : [Spinning Kick] : You spin your legs while targeting enemy's pressure/weak points to launch them into air. (Melee Cone Immobilize(After knockup) Minor Smash DoT. Special = Knockup - Fly/Jump)

Tier 4 : [Thunder Kick] : You strike enemy with your kick so hard that enemies left disoriented and crippled. (Melee ST Stun Minor Smash DoT. Special = -Recharge/Speed/Movement)

Tier 5 : [Hypnotizing Strike] You strike your nimble fingers on targets vital pressure/weak points and making them sleep. (Melee ST Sleep. Special = -Recharge/Speed/Movement after sleep is broken) [No Aggro]

Tier 6 : [Limitbreak] : You break your limit by pressing vital pressure points. (Toggle Self: +Recharge +Movement Speed +MaxHP +MaxEND.)
(Toggle off only : After toggle drops either by loss of endurance or mez you get status protection to all. (So it acts essentially as breakfree) And enemies near you will terrorized with penalty to their movement speed recharge and damage. Possible you get +stealth or regen/recovery as well.

Tier 7 : [Throw Sand] : You grab some nearby debris and fling it towards a nearby foe, obstructing their vision and dazing them. (Ranged Cone Foe Stun, -Perception.) (This is taken from Martial Combat)

Tier 8 : [Martial Aura] : You unleash your aura on nearby foes weakening them and lock them in fear. (PBAoE Hold) (Special = -Damage -To hit)

Tier 9 : [Distorted Perception] You strike on special pressure/weak points. Targets unable to move and locked in slowed perception. (Melee (Targeted AoE) Stun. Minor Smash DoT (-Recharge/Speed/Movement and (Perception/Range Debuff after Stun is broken)

Edited by Darkneblade