P2W Vendor - Block Common Salvage

Hello HC Team!

I would like to request the ability to block salvage in the p2w vendor the same way I can block common recipes and small inspirations.  It only makes sense to have this level of control on what clutters up my inventory while I am out and about.  It's a constant battle for me to continually delete stacks upon stacks of common salvage.  I can hold 172 salvage, after I get full and delete all the common salvage, I typically will have 15-25 pieces of other salvage I do care about.

If I could get a full message and have it be items I can sell for some level of value (yellow and orange), that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for the consideration.

Icecomet

P.S.

The ability to block individual types of enhancements would be good too, like, I don't want ToHit enhancements, but this could be more complicated?)

Edited by Icecomet
  • Like 5

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Origin: Icecomet  (Arc ID 24805), Origin: Icecomet - Chapter 2  (Arc ID 29282), Origin Icecomet - Chapter 3 (Arc ID 39625)

Chapters 4 & 5  (Under development, Coming Soon!)

This one comes up a fair amount, and I'm not a fan of it.  Nothing against you @Icecomet!

Since this is a player-provided economy, every piece of common or uncommon or rare salvage you buy on the AH was posted by someone else.  Now, the HC devs kindly seeded 10mm pieces of common, uncommon, and rare salvage, so it is likely you will always be able to buy them at the prices at which they were seeded.  But those seeded prices are a lot higher than what the market is currently at.  People putting salvage into the AH keeps things moving at lower prices than the seeding.

I'm ok in theory with opting out of salvage entirely. 

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 minute ago, MunkiLord said:

I agree with Yomo in not being a fan. What I would like to see instead is a quick way to post all salvage of a certain rarity for a particular price. Make it super quick and easy to dump all my salvage on the market and I'll never delete another piece again.

^ This would be my preference as well.

• Like 4

Yeah, but my salvage isn't going into the economy anyway, I delete hundreds of stacks of salvage a week.  When I did try to sell common salvage, it either sat in AH for days on end or didn't sell fast enough and I had to remove and trash it because I had too many other things to sell.  I don't care if you fixed the price for common salvage at 10K per piece, I still wouldn't bother selling it...

When you check a common salvage item and it shows MILLIONS for sale, I am not sure where the economy value would even come in to play.  You could make the same argument for common recipes too, but I can and do block them as well because they're a waste of time (for me anyway) like the common salvage and small inspirations.

I am fine, make it 100M, 500M or even 1B influence to be able to disable common salvage, either way, I'd buy it immediately, that's how sick of common salvage I am...

Icecomet

Edited by Icecomet
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

Origin: Icecomet  (Arc ID 24805), Origin: Icecomet - Chapter 2  (Arc ID 29282), Origin Icecomet - Chapter 3 (Arc ID 39625)

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Since this is a player-provided economy, every piece of common or uncommon or rare salvage you buy on the AH was posted by someone else.

Pretty sure this is wrong. The devs seeded the 10,000,000 pieces of common salvage already on the market.

Edited by Xanatos

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

Or have a P2W option to automatically list salvage stacks of 10 for an amount of influence I choose. Soon as I have ten common salvage, immediately list it for X influence. For me that number would be one so it sells quickly.

edit: This would also have the added benefit of potentially making salvage prices crash, which could be fun to watch play out.

Edited by MunkiLord

2 minutes ago, Xanatos said:

Pretty sure the devs seeded it.

There is no need for players to sell common salvage.

Not necessarily, but without players selling the set price of the salvage would be considerably higher. The low prices we enjoy are because players do add a lot to supply as is.

I agree a more convenient way of selling bulk to AH would be nice.

If folks are willing to spend 1B for this I'm okay with it. The 'all salvage toggle' could be the better idea rather than just common.

That doesn't really address the root issues though.

• Some items in the game are troublesome to deal with. (this is likely where efforts would benefit the most)
  • We are lazy and entitled. (harsh but Troo)
  • We have too much $$

Note: Salvage Inventory can, I think, be increased to over 200.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 minute ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Someone else.  And their sell price is 10,000.

Oh I thought you meant other players. But yeah, the supply is not dependent on players at all. Glad we agree.

My view is that asking players to pay 10K for common salvage is better than not letting them block common salvage drops. 10k for common salvage is really low, anyway.

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

35 minutes ago, Xanatos said:

My view is that asking players to pay 10K for common salvage is better than not letting them block common salvage drops. 10k for common salvage is really low, anyway.

I'd rather pay what the market price is now instead of 10k

• Thanks 1

I'm all for the idea, and I actually have posted this idea along with @Sovera. Both our threads resulted in the same overall responses:

"You're lazy." 

"You're going to crash the salvage market!"

"It should only apply to all salvage, not just white, it should block out any kind of salvage you get."

Be prepared for the vitriol some people are going to bring in response to your topic, and the nonsensical arguments many are going to "bring" with this.

Laziness is a relative term. Some people have an economic value given how easily white salvage can clog up your inventory and thus you end up with a lot less inf.

The market debate is a hot one, but most have said that this argument is rooted in fear of having up less white salvage to drive up a spike in costs of all white salvage would be due to a limited supply. IMO, I see no hard evidence on this becoming a reality more than a theory, lots of people will just not know about the feature, there's already market seeding so I highly doubt if white salvage prices rose that HC would just do nothing about it.

Why impose a "salvage tax" when there are no inspiration/recipe taxes? These categories can also fill up easily, and many people reject blue inspirations, and yet you can still purchase them on the AH in massive quantities. Further, the rejection of white recipes has not lead to a "massive spike" in the AH pricing as well. I don't really see the reason to single out salvage in this regard, nor do I think it is based on anything other than the perception of said feature being "too good" to a player. Many people recognize that rejecting white salvage in itself is a disadvantage in some cases (you can't easily craft the temp powers from the sg base) as it is a tax imposed on itself. In theory, you'd get the most bang-for-your-buck if you sold all the salvage in the first place and not choosing the option, thus there is no need for a tax on it. 

Further, many people will bring up these "new systems" of automatically selling the white salvage. This is an interesting idea, but one that has a lot of chaos such as not keeping up with pricing, absolutely flooring the value of white salvage to an all-time bottom, clogging up your ah space if the value is too high, etc., then we have the point that this technology is not known to exist nor if it is feasible unlike how we know that rejection options can and do.

Edited by Zeraphia
  • Like 2

I'm torn on this one.  I totally get the market value side of the table.  Before I knew what you could disallow for certain I'd looked into what you can disable as far as salvage at the p2w vendors for my characters that accumulate salvage at a fast pace.  Every once in a while I'd go on a cleaning spree for my inventories but I've gotten myself situated to where I just enjoy playing.  Since we can't block anything now I just leave my salvage tab red.  But I know that this approach might not work someone not as well situated.  

I'd be for disabling common salvage with some feedback from those that wouldn't want this to be implemented.  

My prediction would be that the prices maybe fluctuate more than they currently do. Once they're above a certain market value, people might start enabling them again (a whole inventory full of common salvage could be worth about 1mil if the prices were to crawl up to 5k) and that would drive the prices back down again. They might equalise a smidge higher than they currently are.

I think the weirdest effect would be, if you could disable salvage by tier, common salvage might end up being worth more on the AH than uncommon salvage.

I doubt it'd be too bad.

We have no way of knowing, years from now, if the population shrinks to a point where the market for salvage crashes and all the ebil people use up all the salvage, that the team wouldn't just seed the market again. I'm assuming they would, since running out of salvage would kind of break the game. 

I'm in favor of the suggestion, with the ability to block any rarity individually. 

While common salvage is an annoying problem, would much rather have the devs working on other things than this.

As for common salvage not selling quickly?  I put it up for 250 and it is gone within minutes; so unless you are listing it at some absurd amount not sure why yours doesnt move.

• Like 1

I am for blocking any kind of salvage, individually by type, as we can with recipes, inspirations, etc.  As mentioned in my PS, I'd additionally love to be able to block enhancements by type (i.e. fly, tohit debuff, etc) so I don't get TO/SO/DO enhancements that I don't want...

It's my character, it should be my choice, as I mentioned, I delete hundreds of stacks of salvage a week as I expect many others do (or they sell it to their SG base vendor mentioned above) meaning it's STILL not coming to the player economy...

I'd likely block yellow salvage too, personally, but at the end of the day, its common, in just a couple of hours I can easily fill up my 172 slots with 150+ worth of common salvage, hence the term, COMMON, hello people?  It'll never run out, some people sell everything they can for whatever they can get for it, great, good for them, I just don't want to be bothered.  It's bad enough I have 10,000 incarnate threads and 5000 incarnate shards I can't do anything with, but that's an entirely different topic, at least they aren't clogging up my capacity...

I just don't understand why anybody would be against this, I mean, the dev seeding of 10M pieces means they could do it again, if it were necessary and though I am not sure what the dev asking price is, back when I started I never paid more than 500 inf for common salvage, again, it's common, it will NEVER run out, ever...

Icecomet

Edited by Icecomet
  • Haha 1

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

13 minutes ago, HunterMS said:

While common salvage is an annoying problem, would much rather have the devs working on other things than this.

As for common salvage not selling quickly?  I put it up for 250 and it is gone within minutes; so unless you are listing it at some absurd amount not sure why yours doesnt move.

What better thing for the devs to work on more than a quality of game life enhancement?  It's much better to make these kinds of updates than creating new powersets that people are always on about.  I mean, I am not sure where the powerset choice line needs to be drawn, but I personally think we're there and don't need more powersets to choose from (purely my opinion on the matter, but that's not what this thread is about, so I digress).

When I sell, I list everything for 5 influence, regardless of what it is and I take whatever the ah gives me.  Yes, even purple recipes.  Everything goes for 5 inf when I use the /ah  It seems my play hours being weee early in the morning means things don't move fast enough for me, so, I stopped selling to the ah as a form of expedience...

Icecomet

Edited by Icecomet

Icecomet

Play my backstory arcs:

1 hour ago, Neogumbercules said:

We have no way of knowing, years from now, if the population shrinks to a point where the market for salvage crashes and all the ebil people use up all the salvage, that the team wouldn't just seed the market again. I'm assuming they would, since running out of salvage would kind of break the game. 

I'm in favor of the suggestion, with the ability to block any rarity individually. 

I honestly don't think we can ever "run out of salvage" unless everyone but one person leaves, they buy all of it, vendor it, and never play anything again.

Salvage is continuously generated. Just play the game, hit things. Play AE, get tickets, get salvage of the rarity you want there for tickets. Lift a rock, get salvage.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Eh. If people are, for whatever reason, worried about putting it in the P2W vendor, how about a macro-able command.

/clearsalvage *type*

/clearsalvage common clears the white, /clearsalvage invention clears all invention salvage, /clearsalvage incarnate clears incarnate salvage, etc. /clearsalvage on its own does nothing but give a help text in chat. I'd think:

/clearsalvage - parameters common, uncommon, rare, invention, incarnate, special, event, legacy, all

... no, I don't know who would use "clearsalvage all" and nuke all their salvage, merits, incarnate stuff, etc. but hey, it's there.

Don't forget the warning this is not reversable and GMs cannot help recover salvage.

Similarly, /sellsalvage (type/name) amount price, so /sellsalvage boresight all 10 lists all boresights at 10 inf. /sellsalvage common all 1 just dumps all common salvage at 1 inf.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

16 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

then we have the point that this technology is not known to exist nor if it is feasible unlike how we know that rejection options can and do.

This is a fair point however it also does not mean that programming an auto post to the AH feature is an inordinate amount of work either.  Were it me, rather than making these simply ignore salvage or recipes, I would make it a simple slash command that any drops get automatically posted to the exchange for a price set by the player.  So for example if you wanted to not receive white salvage drops, just do something like this;

/ignore_common_salvage 100

That would auto post any white salvage received via drops to the AH for 100 inf without the player needing to do anything.  Their inventory remains clear of common salvage and the AH keeps the player generated supply.

Edited by ShardWarrior
  • Like 1