I can't believe I got that name!

DoctorDitko

I just the other day got Cohort for my new Mastermind. 

Slight surprise. 

spacer.png

//Jack

• Thumbs Up 1

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

15 hours ago, Jack Power said:

I just the other day got Cohort for my new Mastermind. 

Slight surprise. 

spacer.png

//Jack

Whenever the complaints about all the "good" names (being defined usually as simple one-word descriptive names) are taken, I'm always never surprised when stuff like this pops up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Player2 said:

Whenever the complaints about all the "good" names (being defined usually as simple one-word descriptive names) are taken, I'm always never surprised when stuff like this pops up.

Word! 

Good names are subjective.

//Jack

• Like 3

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

On Excelsior in just the past week:

Winterdark for my Miasma/Ice Defender

Sharptalon for my Pistols/Time Manip Blaster

Seizures for my Elec/Elec Controller (that one REALLY surprised me)

Weirding for my Illusion/Darkness Controller (another one that REALLY surprised me what with Dune being all the rage these days)

• Like 1

I'm mostly happy to have gotten Mohrg, he was my main back when COH first opened, so this was most satisfying.
Got Huxter (twin pistols sentinel) on Reunion.
Iron Legion (robotics MM)

I'm sure now I am playing more regularly I'll spawn many hundreds of alts....

Actually, I can't believe I got all four of these on Excelsior, no less:

Malibu Kin - A Surfing Fire/Kin Corruptor

Chunk Norris - SR/SJ Tank [Chuck's 'little' brother]

Hex Kitten - Claws/FA Brute [she's hot]

Fuster-Cluck - Thorny/Earth Assault Dominator [yep, he's a chicken, with a big "FC" on his chest from the Freedom Corps logo]

✌️

• Haha 2

• Game Master
15 hours ago, BL00DGE0N said:

Actually, I can't believe I got all four of these on Excelsior, no less:

Malibu Kin - A Surfing Fire/Kin Corruptor

Chunk Norris - SR/SJ Tank [Chuck's 'little' brother]

Hex Kitten - Claws/FA Brute [she's hot]

Fuster-Cluck - Thorny/Earth Assault Dominator [yep, he's a chicken, with a big "FC" on his chest from the Freedom Corps logo]

✌️

you fibber!! 😛 

• Haha 2

The main problem I have is that I've made many characters over the years (I used to make comics when I was a kid), and when I try to recreate them here, they need to have their correct name, as much as possible, or they're just not themselves.  Some characters can get close.  I have a character who was originally called Warpath, but had to be renamed.  I finally settled on Warshell (he's an armoured character, so his armour is a "shell," which is still kind of thematic), but some characters just can't be renamed.  A good example is the Canadian Shield.  His name is a reference to the geographical formation in northern Ontario.  There's not really any way to rename him.

I still say they should alter the way characters are named, using a system like there is in Champions Online (and elsewhere).  In that system, a character's name actually includes their HANDLE.  So, my version of Canadian Shield would show that name, but as far as the server is concerned, he would be Canadian Shield@Ultimo1.  That way, anyone could have a character using that name.

9 hours ago, Ultimo said:

I still say they should alter the way characters are named, using a system like there is in Champions Online (and elsewhere).  In that system, a character's name actually includes their HANDLE.  So, my version of Canadian Shield would show that name, but as far as the server is concerned, he would be Canadian Shield@Ultimo1.  That way, anyone could have a character using that name.

That would be ideal, but the original devs back before the game was shut down couldn't pull it off because of the way the game is already coded.  I suspect that trying to alter it now would be a nightmare.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Player2 said:

That would be ideal, but the original devs back before the game was shut down couldn't pull it off because of the way the game is already coded.  I suspect that trying to alter it now would be a nightmare.

Indeed, this idea is very old at this point, I'd think we would have had it by now if we could.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

19 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Indeed, this idea is very old at this point, I'd think we would have had it by now if we could.

I beg to differ. There are possibilities and there are priorities.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

OK, "it would seem that the means to accomplish this dissuades Devs from making this a priority, because players have asked for this since before Live shut down."

There's levels of difficuly to be considered.  I probably could fly using tarps and sticks, or at least glide, but the difficulty of achieving it means it's probably not worth it.  Or to put it country simple, "a dog can kill a skunk, but it aint worth it."  I seriously doubt the devs sat around "ya wanna fix the name thing with that server suffix idea?  Nah, let's make some Council guys rez."  Not at all in the same ballpark, unless I guess you want to hold some seething distrust for the Devs.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The thing is... if something keeps being brought up, I'd consider it something worth doing, because there's a demand for it.  As for being difficult... well, I'm no programmer, so I can't speak to that.

I am against seeing multiple of the same character name running around. It gets confusing as to which one is which. You don't see five Captain America running around in comics, though it would explain Wolverine appearing in everyone's comic.

However, I did manage to get the name, Managed Democracy, on Excelsior.

Edited by Marshal_General

50 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

However, I did manage to get the name, Managed Democracy, on Excelsior.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's not a huge intersection between Helldivers 2 and CoH players.  Or at least not large enough all its themes have been gobbled up as names here yet.

To contribute to the thread,

• Fists Galore-Kinetic/Energy stalker
  • Shiny Metal Arsenal-Arsenal/Arsenal dom
  • Kill-Aid Man-Ice/Ice brute

To contribute to the community, the following names are available as I'm tying this since I just got rid of the characters. 

• Shivered Timber. Was going to be a pirate themed storm/plant pirate controller. Ended up as the druid themed Briar Storm instead.
  • Pollock Jackson. Was going to be my "colorful darkness" toon, but couldn't think of a good fish theme. 

I just snagged "Cool Ninja" on Everlasting for an Elec/Ice Stalker.  Could go Ice/Ice if I end up not liking it.   This was after trying "Storm Ninja", which was taken.  "Storm Assassin" was available, if anyone wants something similar.

15 hours ago, Random Axis said:
  • Pollock Jackson. Was going to be my "colorful darkness" toon, but couldn't think of a good fish theme. 

Water Blast set with a wild array of colors + the fish head.  Maybe Open Labcoat to simulate an artist's smock.

• Like 1

Go have fun!

I was goofing around last night and had been thinking about a silly concept character I wanted to make for a while. Basically the "minor villain with delusions of granduer" sort. All her schemes are so terribly small scale that they're nothing more than minor annoyances to the powers that be, despite the fact that she herself is ridiculously powerful. Like she'd leave a mocking audio call to the some hero group telling them she was going to kidnap the Fautline dam (not the dam workers, the dam itself) and make it believable enough that they'd go check. And while they were out, she'd sneak into their base and replace all the lightbulbs with ones that were far too bright, and tilt a bunch of the paintings. Then leave a mocking note for them.

I'd never come up with a name for her, though had been musing about things like Madame Catastrophe or something similar. But a song I was listening to last night mentioned champagne, and her name just came to me. Thankfully nobody had taken it yet.

So the villainess Doom Perignon was born. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Water Blast set with a wild array of colors + the fish head.  Maybe Open Labcoat to simulate an artist's smock.

That's along the lines of what I originally thought of, but I didn't like the look of colored water powers. Instead I made Prismatic Pugilist with a rainbow of brightly colored dark melee and fire armor powers.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/22/2024 at 6:45 PM, Random Axis said:

To contribute to the thread,

• Fists Galore-Kinetic/Energy stalker
  • Shiny Metal Arsenal-Arsenal/Arsenal dom
  • Kill-Aid Man-Ice/Ice brute

To contribute to the community, the following names are available as I'm tying this since I just got rid of the characters. 

• Shivered Timber. Was going to be a pirate themed storm/plant pirate controller. Ended up as the druid themed Briar Storm instead.

You should probably drop this into the appropriate server's 'Drop a name, 'Pick up a name' thread.  :)

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:55 AM, Marshal_General said:

I am against seeing multiple of the same character name running around. It gets confusing as to which one is which.

DC had 2 Supermen (red and blue one time), multiple Supermen after the "death" of the original, and more recently the original and a Chinese version (also second Batman,Flash,GL, & WW).  Marvel currently has 2 Spidermen and has had more (clones, alt reality, etc), and lots of characters have had more than one person usurp their identity.  It happens a lot.