I can't believe I got that name!

DoctorDitko

8 minutes ago, Psylenz0511 said:

now wait a minute, gleek is a slang word and like any word you cannot license words like phantom, ghost, or captain

Incorrect.  You cannot trademark common words, as in anything found in the dictionary.  So despite DC having a character named Firestorm, they don't own a trademark for the name... just his likeness.  "Phantom," "ghost," and "captain" are all common words recognized as public domain and thus cannot be trademarked. 

Trademarking words can be anything made up (I know, they're all made up).  If a slang word does not appear in a recognized published source of common words, such as a dictionary, it could very well be fair game.  This is why Superman is one word instead of two.  "Super" and "Man" are both common words, but "Superman" is a made up word by jamming two words together into one, and thus trademarkable and off limits.

Edited by Player2
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 12:08 PM, Player2 said:

This is why Superman is one word instead of two.  "Super" and "Man" are both common words, but "Superman" is a made up word by jamming two words together into one, and thus trademarkable and off limits.

Nietzsche calls prior art!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I haven't played many Dominators so I started to think about playing one. The first name I came up with for my new Dom surprised me when it was available, Perignon. Now I need to figure out a fitting power combo. Maybe something chilled?

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2020 at 6:25 PM, MTeague said:

He did it in German.  So, don't anyone try to create an Ubermensch character with a big U on their chest.

(Actually sight unseen, such a character must have been created, on several shards, though it may have been generic'd.)

Careful with the Superman copy ideas with U on the chest because DC has a trademark on this guy, too:

4e3cf87bb1aaf5642ec11f52e09b7008.jpg

• Like 1

Tonight I got one I figured there was no chance, but I gave it a shot. At least the 10% of players who visit the Forums might get it.

A Mercs/Traps Mastermind called:

General Discussion

(Just on Torch, though so feel free!)

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

5 hours ago, Supertanker said:

The name Hunky Dory is available on Excelsior. I was going to use it but couldn't decide on a concept.

Off the top of my head, something that uses water or ice.

I'd probably go with a Water/Ice Blaster.

Make the costume huge with a fish tank head.

Or go with female body style and max most of the sliders...and a fish tank head.

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming...