What purpose do tip missions serve?

ranster44

Back in the day, tip missions were the only way to change your alignment.  10 tip missions would lead to an alignment mission, which would let you shift along the aligment spectrum, as follows:

Hero --> Vigilante --> Villain --> Rogue --> Hero

Nowadays, however, you can go talk to Null the Gull in Pocket D and change your aligmnent instantly.

Edited by TheOtherTed
me am english good speak
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Nightroarer. I have confirmed my alignment about 8 times with my main using the tip missions. A quick tip about tip missions is when u open one it will occur in the zone u r in. There are Very few exceptions ( at least on in the 50 range is in IP) but the rest I do in Atlas Park. 

These days pretty much the only point is to unlock the redside signature story arc series (lastri kumanis  et al.) which only open up from a 30-35 red tip mission.  Plus the Morty Kal redside task force, which is a 20-25 tip, IIRC.  They're supposed to be the guaranteed first tip drops in those level ranges, as I recall.

I *think* one of the base items lets you "craft" the various tip missions... 'Darned if I can remember what it's called, though. (The Arcane version looks like a cauldron sitting on a stone platform with four Oranbegan-style spikes at the corners)

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

There's a series of badges for changing alignments and doing tips as well. 

Are those special Villian tips the ones with the fancy covers on them?

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Tip missions also often have other NPC heros / villains in them, which count toward Hero Slayer / Villain Disruptor badges, if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, they're better written and more engaging (to me anyway) than "The Boomtown Security Chief asked for you by name. You should consider that a compliment. Go see what he wants."

• Like 4

Even just the more innovative use of standard maps is refreshing. Tip mishes are s nice change of pace!

• Like 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I do hope the Homecoming Team consider fleshing out Tips even further!  There's a lot of potential to be had there, and they don't need to mess with established lore to do it either (which, as I understand it, is still a thorny issue for some players who don't want to see anyone but Sean Fish continue the writing.  *shrugs*).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I do hope the Homecoming Team consider fleshing out Tips even further!  There's a lot of potential to be had there, and they don't need to mess with established lore to do it either (which, as I understand it, is still a thorny issue for some players who don't want to see anyone but Sean Fish continue the writing.  *shrugs*).

Agreed.  Particularly redside, I like the way the tip mechanics are used to put in some missions as if they were your own choices, your own decisions, your own plans.  It's a nice break from some missions that come across only as if you are at best a mercenary for hire, and at worst a lackey to be ordered about.  Yes, redside gets better later, and yes, it makes sense you have to EARN your "street cred" at the lower levels, but the tip missions are some of the earliest content that feels like you're acting on your own agency.

On 7/17/2020 at 7:14 PM, nightroarer said:

One purpose, for me anyway, is to add variety to the missions my characters run. The more content, the better. 🙂

This and get a merit from time to time

• Like 1

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I find tip missions are more challenging then any other repeatable content.  Most of them use harder enemy groups, such as Arachnos, Longbow, and Carnies.  I've even seen a CoT mission where clearly the enemies were buffed somehow because the took way longer to defeat than normal.  As such, running 54x8 (or 54x4 depending what toon I'm on) tip missions is my standard "well, i'm not doing anything else, so I'll do this until something else comes up," option.  I like that I don't have to be in a level appropriate zone to do them, so it's a way to do endgame content while hanging in Atlas Park.

They're also a source of solo-merits.  40 merits for every morality mission.  If you set difficulty to easy you can speed run 11 missions pretty quickly, but probably not as quick as some other merit sources. 

But yes, to your question, null the gull took their original purpose out of the game.  

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I experimented to see if taking a tip mission while in Echo Galaxy would set the mission there, but it set the mission in King's Row instead. Being able to run missions in Galaxy again would be fantastic. Well, as long as you have a SG base with the facilities and resources that Galaxy no longer has.

As is, I did level a new character to 8 by street sweeping in Galaxy (set up my own RP missions to do so) just for fun. Yeah, I'm a dork.

• Like 2

I still do tip missions, quite frequently. Sometimes you only have time for one mission. And you don't want to start a lengthy arc with a new contact. And you're bored with Radio/Newspaper missions. 

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty